• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Mah0ne's Stuff about Puff

Oskar

Smash Cadet
The only thing that stood out to me was that you don't really abuse Puff's crouch at all, even though you're playing against characters that are super susceptible to it. One of the Danes mentioned this about you after I think it was KFC2 and I definitely see what they mean. There were a few times when you had them pinned down in their shield and landed in front of them, only to immediately move away again or go for another move. Might wanna slow it down a bit in those situations and wait and see what they do, then react accordingly.

Really awesome Puff, though. Plenty of sick rests and stuff. I gotta start watching Norwegian vids. :oneeye:

Kaizer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's a good point. I try to abuse this aspect of puff, but I get too focused on spacing moves I think. Slowing down a bit sounds like a good advice, I'll look into it!

And thanks! Are you going to Beast?

Bones0

Smash Legend
You can instant ledge grab from a run off (like Yoshi) by up-Bing as you slide off. Your jumpsquat animation has to be timed so that it's canceled as you run off, and then you sing immediately after. It'd just be a cool little mindgame so you can make them think you're running off for a dropzone fair and edgehog instead. A lot of people will try to sweetspot right before your fair would hit, and instead of grabbing the ledge right before the fair comes out, you'll edgehog them, and even if they didn't up-B yet, they'll be too mindgamed to realize what happened in time. :D

Bones0

Smash Legend
Bones (Jigglypuff) vs. PB&J (Fox) [no sound]

Got a few matches if someone wants to give me some advice. Idk how you Puff mains ever grab Foxes. I was trying to look for tomahawks, but it never seemed like a good time to do it. Maybe I just need to punish better on stray hits so they have more of a reason to stay in shield. Second game I just got ****ed up. :c

idea

Smash Master
lol did anyone see me get ****ed up by m2k in jiggs dittos? i couldn't see anything consistent to do against his edge camping stuff. only things that worked occasionally.

Bieber

Smash Apprentice
yeah i saw that. i think there were some spots where you could've counterattacked him out of shield, or maybe weaved in and out to try and clip him with safe bairs like hbox eventually started doing that one time he and m2k puff ditto'd

good stuff getting 3rd tho

Mahone

Smash Champion
rofl, naw, after they saw me lose to m2k they kicked me out

but its coo, i got like 10 other sponsors lined up AND READY TO GO

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
No better way to represent our game to the entire fighting game community! :D

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Hey....Puff dittos are pretty cool.

It occurs to me that there is more high level Puff ditto development than there is Peach ditto development. That is something to be grateful for (even though I like them).

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Puff dittos aren't that cool, lol. It's pretty much playing footsies and stage control for 6-8 minutes at a time. After I got out of pools at at northwest manifest, had to do a ****ing bo5 puff ditto and omg was it dumb. We played it all on yoshi's and it still took half an hour cause it went to game five. Granted, I'm sure it's better than peach dittos, but so is every over MU in the game lol

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I like the footsies and stage control. The lack of combos and fast kills make them more a test of patience/endurance, and you don't feel overwhelmed. At least, that's why I like them.

The Peach ditto isn't that bad either, but if you get two of them who don't want to do more than throw turnips....barf.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Yes, but I'm talking about as a spectator, since this is about puff dittos at evo.

Playing puff dittos can be pretty entertaining, I like the MU alright. Unfortunately, that doesn't change the fact that it isn't very interesting. The match is extremely repetitive, and approach options are limited to pretty much just bair. There are occasional reads, but a majority of the times it gets punished with another bair or something similar. It's often comparable to playing a first-to-50 of Divekick, minus any potential hype except the end of the last stock if it's close. (which is rare.) Ultimately, the MU is just flow-charty and predictable, and it's the risky stuff that one puff player may or may not decide to do that gives them either an immediate advantage or disadvantage. Otherwise, it's pretty much "luck" based assuming equal skill since the character is so damn safe

edit: btw I'm exaggerating, don't take me too incredibly seriously lol.

Mahone

Smash Champion
i like playing puff dittos against people with worse spacing

but its sorta like torture vs people with equal/better spacing cuz unlike other matchups u can't really selfdestruct and get gimped 3 times in 30 seconds once u start losing, u gotta take ur beatings like a man for 6+ minutes while u pretend like u can bring it back from ur 40% deficit

You can't.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I like the footsies and stage control. The lack of combos and fast kills make them more a test of patience/endurance, and you don't feel overwhelmed. At least, that's why I like them.
Sounds like barlw.

Except barlw doesn't have footsies or stage control, so I'm not sure what else it actually offers in terms of competitive elements.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Sounds like barlw.

Except barlw doesn't have footsies or stage control, so I'm not sure what else it actually offers in terms of competitive elements.
Stage control in Brawl isn't something I'm too knowledgeable about, tbh, but I think Brawl has footsies too. They seem to be more pronounced, since the game is so slow.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
yeah, brawl does have footsies. It's also extremely mixup oriented, more-so than melee at times. Stage control is also chiefly important, especially since characters like metaknight can cover 150% of your options when you're on the ledge, plus being on the same horizontal plane as ice climbers = death lols. But Brawl is a very flow-charty game in general, so puff dittos actually do bare resemblances to brawl in all seriousness.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
@Bones
being on the same horizontal plane as ice climbers = death lols.
That video isn't the best place to find examples of footsies for that reason, lol. I was more thinking MK dittos in that last post though, shoulda clarified.

just in the first two minutes:
0:35 -> 0:41 (footsies)
0:48-1:40 (stage control, mostly m2k holding center)
1:43-1:50 (footsies)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Kick away all the rockets and avoid the charge shot and Samus won't have anything big on us.
Oh and certain moves like her dsmash are very easy to rest oos. Samus has a hard time against us. Just play gay and bair carefully and they won't be able to do much. (I think)

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
We're one of the few characters that can gimp her, too. Don't let samus do her dumb recovery nonsense.

Also, dair is surprisingly good in this matchup. Dair into grab/fsmash, etc. Samus has no close-up options, so duck a lot to bait out up+b's. You can rest a poorly placed up+b, or just be safe and hard punish it. Stay on the floor at range more to shield stuff.

pretty easy once you get the hang of it, just don't fall for gimmicky stuff such as her utilt.

Top Bottom