• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Magnets right above the ground

shepdogg

Smash Rookie
I've really been playing around with magnet a lot and I found that if you run and do magnet right after you are in the air, you will float with your feet in the stage. It's the same timing as wavedashing where you try to do it the first frame after jumpsquat, and from there you can do all the normal stuff you can do out of magnet, djc aerials, wavedash etc. Theoretically this gives you a third movement tool on top of ness's wavedashing and dj. You can b reverse it to get away then djc in wavedash whichever way you want. I've found that it's let's you delay doing really low djc aerials until you're ready and lets you float off the stage so you can get a dair right at the ledge. You possibly might be able to jump cancel grab with it as your feet are in the stage but so far i haven't been able to get that to work yet. it also absorbs projectiles while you're approaching so that's a plus. I think it can also can set up into magnet dashes. It also makes it difficult for your opponent to know whether you are going to approach with djc fair, or djc Bair with b turnaround, because magnet looks almost identical no matter which way Ness is facing. I recently started developing this and It seems like a powerful tool if your fingers are fast enough. I've watched videos of pro Ness players and I've seen calabrel do some stuff kinda like this but his magnets are always pretty high off the stage. I was wondering if anyone else has used this feet-in-stage magnet floating and if so what other uses did you find for for it?

Last edited:

shepdogg

Smash Rookie
What control set up do you use? I use z for jump, y for grab, x for up taunt, and the rest standard. I used to use y for jump but it's much faster to use z out of magnet.

Boiko

:drshrug:

Yes, I use it. I posted about it in the Ness skype group. It's nifty as a combo extender and as a way to approach through lasers, but that's about it.

shepdogg

Smash Rookie
What about approaching with the magnet floating and then forward djc dair? or magnet floating off a ledge to get far out without having to burn a double jump? Or b reversing it then djc wavedash out of it to a grab or tilt? Are those uses actually viable or are they just niche? I don't have a consistent sparring partner to test this out on so I don't know yet.

Last edited:

shepdogg

Smash Rookie
I also found that on places with Janko uneven ground like skyloft, yoshi's story etc., that if you float uphill your feet will land on the ground and then you're in a grounded magnet which you can jc grab out of. It's similar to a magnet platform cancel grab.

Top Bottom