• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Magicant: Research Notes

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
As with my topic on Unova Pokemon League, this will be a brief presentation of my notes on Magicant as collected during experiments in Training Mode. Because science.

Also if this sort of thing appeals to anyone and you want me to look into a specific stage, let me know.

Layout:
Magicant's layout is fairly simplistic. A main platform about half the length of Final Destination is flanked by two smaller platforms above and to either side. The left platform, which Mario can access with a single jump, is slightly lower than the right platform, which Mario needs to double jump for. A final, smaller platform sits below the main platform. Player 1 starts on the left platform while Player 2 starts on the right platform. Players 3 and 4 start on either side of the main platform.

The platforms have grabbable edges, with the exception of the inside edge of both side platforms. All platforms are solid from above and can be jumped through from below. However, a sufficiently powerful meteor smash will cause an airborne victim to fall right through the platform. Grounded victims are bounced up as usual.

The Omega Form of Magicant floats in midair, allowing players to fly underneath the stage. It is slightly aysmmetrical, with the right side having a larger area for wall jumping and similar purposes.

Magicant has a number of hazards, some of which cause damage, but only the Flying Man is inherently dangerous.

Dungeon Man:
Starting at around the 25-30 second mark, Dungeon Man from Earthbound appears on the right side of the screen and walks below the stage, his head serving as a platform. It takes him approximately 30 seconds to walk all the way across the screen. When he is in the vicinity of the main platform, the smaller platform underneath vanishes to make room for his progress. It reappears when he is sufficiently far away again. Dungeon Man reappears after about a minute, walking in the opposite direction from his previous appearance.

Objects:
Periodically throughout the match, various objects will appear on the stage and serve as platforms. In general they can appear anywhere on the main or left side platforms; none have been observed on the right side platform where Flying Man spawns. Their exact methods of appearing and disappearing vary and are noted below, along with other details.

Tomato: A large tomato rises from the ground. About three seconds later, it starts sinking through the cloud. It is solid and can function as a wall. It takes about 7 seconds to completely sink through, at which point it falls offscreen. As it falls, it does 20% damage and meteor smashes players in the way. The tomato can take 35% damage before being destroyed.

Octopus Statue: Nearly identical to the tomato, a statue of an octopus rises from the ground before sinking through the cloud. It also does 20% damage and meteor smashes players directly below it when it falls all the way through. It is slightly narrower and taller than the tomato, and cannot be destroyed. Should it or the tomato land on Dungeon Man, they will land on him and remain for a few seconds before vanishing.

Tree: A modestly sized tree rises from the ground, its canopy serving as a platform. It disappears about 15 seconds later.

Mobile Sprout: An enemy from Earthbound, the Mobile Sprout is a large green sprout with two leaves spread out to form a single platform at a slightly lower level than that provided by the tree. It rises from the ground, walks back and forth a small distance, and lasts about 15 seconds before vanishing.

Sky Runner: The Sky Runner from Earthbound descends from the sky, hovering in place for about 15 seconds before leaving. While it hovers, it leaves enough room for players to walk under it. It is solid and can be used to tech hits.

The Tree, Mobile Sprout, and Sky Runner exhibit a degree of variance in the amount of time they remain onscreen, with times as low as 13 seconds and as high as 18 seconds being recorded.

After any of the above objects disappear, there is a 10-15 second period of time before the next one appears.

Flying Man:
The Flying Man from Earthbound lives in the house on the right side platform. At the 25 second mark, it emerges from the door and stands in place. The first player to make physical contact with him claims him as an ally, and he will proceed to attack the other players. While Flying Man is on the field, the camera will keep it in view like it does with the fighters.

Flying Man has two attacks, a flip kick and a flying press. Both do 12% per hit and kill Mario from center stage at approximately 110% with no VI. (Exact percents vary depending on location relative to blast zones.) The flip kick kills vertically, while the flying press kills horizontally. He will not attack players who are in certain positions, such as the small bottom platform or riding Dungeon Man while underneath the main platform.

Players can damage Flying Man by attacking him. He has a total of approximately 40 HP and will take damage from all sources. However, the fatal blow must be dealt with by an attack with appreciable knockback. Some moves, e.g. Mario's Fireballs, will not kill Flying Man. Knocking him offstage will not work, as Flying Man has an apparently infinite number of midair jumps.

Flying Man is vulnerable to attacks even before anyone tries to touch him. Projectiles will not cause him to become allied with the player, although disjointed hitboxes such as Marth's sword will. Even if subjected to knockback, Flying Man will remain stationary once he lands until claimed by a player, although he will return to the stage if knocked offstage. If sufficiently damaged, he can die without ever fighting for a player.

It is important to note that Flying Man is also vulnerable to grabs, throws, and similar moves, with a few specific interactions worth mentioning. Suicide moves such as Bowser and Ganondorf's side specials are instantly fatal if performed over a gap. Kirby, King Dedede, and Wario can all inhale or bite Flying Man, although it breaks out before a suicide KO can be performed. Donkey Kong can similarly cart Flying Man around with his cargo throw until it breaks free. Yoshi can eat Flying Man with his neutral special, and although it will eventually break out, it is not fast enough to escape if performed over the edge. Kirby, Meta Knight, and Charizard can instantly kill Flying Man with their up throw. Other throws can instantly kill Flying Man depending on positioning; Mario's back throw is fatal if done from the left edge of the stage.

After Flying Man is defeated, he is marked by a grave next to the house and a new Flying Man appears 25 seconds later to repeat the cycle. A total of 5 Flying Men can appear during any one match; after the 5th Flying Man is defeated, no more will spawn. Unlike in Earthbound, successive Flying Men are no weaker than the ones before.

Summary:
  • Nonstandard but simple platform layout.
  • Airborne players can be meteor smashed through platforms.
  • Dungeon Man serves as moving bottom platform approximately once a minute.
  • Dungeon Man causes small bottom platform to vanish as it approaches.
  • Various objects from the series appear as platforms for approximately 15 seconds at a time.
  • Flying Man spawns 25 seconds in and 25 seconds after defeated, up to 5 total.
  • Flying Man does 12% per hit and kills Mario at 110%.
  • Flying Man has 40 HP and can be damaged and killed before anyone claims him.
  • Flying Man is particularly vulnerable to some attacks due to their mechanics. See his section for details.

Last edited:

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
I freaking love this stage for various reasons (it's a beautiful aesthetic, a great layout, and a Mother stage!), but Flying Man honestly just kills it for competitive play. He's way too strong and in your face to deal with, especially in a 1v1, where the battle just becomes incredibly unfair from then on. It makes me sad because otherwise, it's a great stage (I feel exactly the same way about Wily's Castle and how Yellow Devil just ruins it.)

Last edited:

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I freaking love this stage for various reasons (it's a beautiful aesthetic, a great layout, and a Mother stage!), but Flying Man honestly just kills it for competitive play. He's way too strong and in your face to deal with, especially in a 1v1, where the battle just becomes incredibly unfair from then on. It makes me sad because otherwise, it's a great stage (I feel exactly the same way about Wily's Castle and how Yellow Devil just ruins it.)
Yeah, I really hate how otherwise perfect stages get ruined by a single hazard. And especially in the case of Wily's Castle, the Yellow Devil just feels... Out of place. Like, he was jammed in there specifically to screw the stage.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
We should legalize it anyway just to watch the competitive community squirm :troll:

No but really this stage would be good if it weren't for those darn flying men. I love their appearance but I would have appreciated it more if they wouldn't do a flying body slam on my face. But that's Sakurai for you :secretkpop:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I've noticed that you can be meteor smashed straight through seemingly any of the platforms, which gives certain characters a noticeable advantage.

That or I've just been repeatedly subjected to a glitch.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I've noticed that you can be meteor smashed straight through seemingly any of the platforms, which gives certain characters a noticeable advantage.

That or I've just been repeatedly subjected to a glitch.
The platforms have grabbable edges, with the exception of the inside edge of both side platforms. All platforms are solid from above and can be jumped through from below. However, a sufficiently powerful meteor smash will cause an airborne victim to fall right through the platform. Grounded victims are bounced up as usual.
I already noted this. Testing with Ganondorf's down air failed to make training dummies fall through when they just stood there, so it only seems to work on airborne targets.

It sort of makes sense in an abstract way. I mean, you're literally fighting on clouds.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that lowest platform would represent a pretty gamebreaking defensive position in many match-ups if Flying Man weren't in the game to make this legality decision easy (Dungeon Man occasionally breaks it up, but if you're playing someone like Jigglypuff, that probably doesn't bother you too much anyway). This stage is actually a lot of fun, is mechanically very interesting, and is one of the coolest looking stages, but it's really not even vaguely competitively workable unfortunately.

I do really enjoy this stage research. I decided in the end to focus my efforts on stuff that will also be in the Wii U version (the 3DS version is going to be dropped so hard when Wii U drops), but it still really does make me happy to see good research on these mechanics as understanding how the game works is critically tied to playing it well, and we have no idea what kinds of analagous content may be on Wii U.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's a shame everything else about this stage is so ridiculously anti-competitive, since it looks amazing and I like the gimmick that you can meteor smash people through the floor if you hit them hard enough. Flying Man is pretty darn easy to deal with when you have a Counter, by the way. His attacks (especially the flying press) are highly telegraphed and his movements somewhat predictable, so you can just wait in a specific spot on the main platform to bait repeated flying presses and just Counter him three or four times for a KO. If you have some relatively quick normals or a quick projectile, it's even possible to keep an opponent off of you and control that spot as you wait to take the Flying Man out.

Top Bottom