• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

M2K in "Project M stuff"

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
M2K's delivery may or may not be horseshet, but that doesn't mean he doesn't make valid points. He's a top player for a reason, guys. :/
Agreed. The top comment on the thread sums it up quite nicely, actually.

At the start of 3.02, you know who grabbed the spotlight? Mario. People called his fireballs unbeatable and mindless. Players said his uptilt combo'd into anything. People also complained about his recovery on the walled stages as if there was no solution. If we followed the past history of characters like this, it was obvious that if 3.1 was to come out the next day, Mario would have been nerfed.

But 3.1 didn't come out the next day. And you know what happened? People learned the match-up, and the meta evolved. Mario is still a good character, but if you look in reddit and smashboards, people are not complaining about him nearly as much anymore. People stopped winning Xanadus with him every week. Matches are no longer Mario vs. _____. If 3.1 was to come out now, Mario would not be nerfed.

And then SKTAR 3 happened. A Mewtwo main won that tournament using new tech, and then people cried imbalance. He was even named the "best character in P:M", even though that's the only time a non-M2K Mewtwo main has taken a notable tournament.

If Mewtwo gets 'neutered' in a 2.5/2.6 Sonic like fashion in the next patch, it's obvious that innovating and doing well with a character is a bad thing.

This is what scares me.

Let's look at a world where this is obvious and that innovation = nerfs. Let's just say I'm in the lab with Squirtle and I find a neat trick that makes Squirtle better. I really like how Squirtle is in this game, and I wouldn't want to see him nerfed. Do I post this trick on smashboards/reddit to further the metagame and prepare people for it, or do I keep it a secret so Squirtle doesn't get nerfed?

We are fortunate that the next version of Project M isn't out yet. It's obvious that there are strong characters. However, we've seen that if you give people 6+ months after a character is revealed to be good to adapt, they will learn to play around it.
While I believe there are a few questionable moves/ abilities in the game, they are almost never as severe as people make them out to be which is why I'm thankful for the longer waiting time for 3.X. Being good as a player is an important distinction from playing an OP character.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
It's just a matter of opinion. I don't see why you feel the need to shoot the idea down.
Because it's a bad opinion; it implies that a solution to problems other people have exist, while simultaneously absolving the person of the responsibility of proving that they're right.

When people argue that [thing] is overpowered or broken, and someone responds with 'someone will figure something out eventually so just deal with it', you're saying that they're wrong to want changes but not actually providing any reasonable evidence that demonstrates that waiting is actually a favorable option - the implication is that letting the metagame 'evolve' is the better idea, but nobody ever says why.

It's an especially insipid thing for people to say when they're known for playing Melee - a game where the metagame has essentially been the same for literally a decade.

This. You people all miss one key element to the whole 'M2K' debacle: the dude wins games. More than you, and more than you likely ever will.
M2K winning games does not give him free reign to be an asshole.

taljen

Smash Rookie
Doesn't M2K also frequently complain that Link is overpowered and should be changed? I agree with his argument that knee-jerk buffs/nerfs would be shallow and cheapen the metagame, but I feel like the buffs/nerfs so far have been carefully considered. I hate him referring to characters as "gimmicky," and dismissing PM-only players. I can't speak to his personality or reasons for having his opinion, but it seems odd because half of his argument is arguing how gimmicky and overpowered new characters are, and the other half is how changing the characters is bad. It seems contradictory.

What really frustrates me is Reddit at the moment. PM gained popularity on Reddit when it was trendy to like PM. Now it seems everyone is criticizing PM on Reddit because that is trendy at the moment.

If any PMBR person reads this, I'd like to add a thank you for creating my favorite game.

Fortress

Smash Master
M2K winning games does not give him free reign to be an *******.
Please see my previous post:

Nah, but he's still right. Who cares how he acts about it. Dude's better than anybody in this **** thread will be.
Nobody here is complaining about the hundreds of other players, good or bad, who all act like fools. What makes us care any more about how M2K should act than the next guy? If it really rustles people that much, maybe they shouldn't be playing. They're going to run into people who act like idiots whether-or-not those idiots are beginners or skilled players, so why should it matter how one more player acts? Why should it matter to you?

Players are going to act the way they do regardless. They could give a hot **** about what you think of their attitudes, so don't put all your stock into worrying about it.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Nah, but he's still right. Who cares how he acts about it. Dude's better than anybody in this **** thread will be.
How good a player is at the game does not have any intrinsic bearing upon whether their claims are true or not. That's the stupidest **** I've ever heard.

Like he said, it's his personal opinion on the game, nothing more.

Bleck

Smash Master
What makes us care any more about how M2K should act than the next guy?
Because being a notable player puts him in the spotlight, and his behavior reflects (poorly, in this case) upon the rest of the Smash community. Note how there are examples in this very thread of people arguing that being good at a game makes it okay to be unpleasant and juvenile - this shouldn't be the way the Smash community at large carries itself.

If it really rustles people that much, maybe they shouldn't be playing.
So people should stop playing a game they love because they're bothered when a notable player insults them, which is apparently okay because he's good at the game?

Is M2K paying you to write these posts? No matter what he tells you, suckin' his dong ain't gonna give you his powers.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
How good a player is at the game does not have any intrinsic bearing upon whether their claims are true or not. That's the stupidest **** I've ever heard.

Like he said, it's his personal opinion on the game, nothing more.
Is he wrong that people cry 'nerf, nerf, nerf' far too often only to have cast members go through a drastic change before even letting them develop to the point where people can work around and adapt to their options..? Answer: no.

Because being a notable player puts him in the spotlight, and his behavior reflects (poorly, in this case) upon the rest of the Smash community. Note how there are examples in this very thread of people arguing that being good at a game makes it okay to be unpleasant and juvenile - this shouldn't be the way the Smash community at large carries itself.
That shouldn't be the way it is, but it is. Them's the shakes. Why let it bother you so much how some other player carries themselves, no matter what their skill level?

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Is he wrong that people cry 'nerf, nerf, nerf' far too often only to have cast members go through a drastic change before even letting them develop to the point where people can work around and adapt to their options..? Answer: no.
No, but he certainly isn't practicing what he preaches, is he now? Broken this, auto combo this, gimmicky that. Gimme a break.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
No, but he certainly isn't practicing what he preaches, is he now? Broken this, auto combo this, gimmicky that. Gimme a break.
To be fair, my tether is ass. And to also be fair, a huge number of players complain about some awesome tactic being discovered with a character and want it completely expunged from their repertoire before learning the full extent of the gimmick. Probably the reason why Sonic players have had such a rough go at the game each update.

Bleck

Smash Master
Is he wrong that people cry 'nerf, nerf, nerf' far too often only to have cast members go through a drastic change before even letting them develop to the point where people can work around and adapt to their options..?
Who in the cast actually had these drastic nerfs that I keep hearing about?

That shouldn't be the way it is, but it is. Them's the shakes. Why let it bother you so much how some other player carries themselves, no matter what their skill level?
Because, as we've seen, people will go to pretty big lengths to emulate the good players (likely in hopes that it'll make them better), - which is why we have a lot of people claiming that M2K's arguments are correct without giving any good reasons as to why - and when a good player is known for pretending that being good at Melee gives him the right to be a condescending douche to people, well, it's gonna give other players the same idea.

The community at large doesn't need people like M2K spreading the message that winning games gives you free reign to be an asshole.

Fortress

Smash Master
Who in the cast actually had these drastic nerfs that I keep hearing about?
That Sanic guy I keep hearing about, who has been the least consistent character update-to-update more-or-less because of complaints leveled against his character.

Because, as we've seen, people will go to pretty big lengths to emulate the good players (likely in hopes that it'll make them better), - which is why we have a lot of people claiming that M2K's arguments are correct without giving any good reasons as to why - and when a good player is known for pretending that being good at Melee gives him the right to be a condescending douche to people, well, it's gonna give other players the same idea.

The community at large doesn't need people like M2K spreading the message that winning games gives you free reign to be an *******.
Pretty sure his message is "Get gud, quit crying, **** off about 'nerf-talk', and adapt to the game before crying about how something is 'too good'". Which is a pretty solid message.

Last edited:

taljen

Smash Rookie
Pretty sure his message is "Get gud, quit crying, **** off about 'nerf-talk', and adapt to the game before crying about how something is 'too good'". Which is a pretty solid message.
But that was only one of the messages. The other one was that PM players only win because their characters are "gimmicky" and overpowered. The problem I'm having is that these two messages seem contradictory. Either PM characters are gimmicky and overpowered, or they aren't and nerfs/buffs should be rare and minor. M2K seems to be arguing both points, at least to me.

Fortress

Smash Master
But that was only one of the messages. The other one was that PM players only win because their characters are "gimmicky" and overpowered. The problem I'm having is that these two messages seem contradictory. Either PM characters are gimmicky and overpowered, or they aren't and nerfs/buffs should be rare and minor. M2K seems to be arguing both points, at least to me.
That's not wrong, though. I probably place as well as I do at Northwest events on the virtue that Link is really good, not me.

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
And that's what's wrong with M2K's rant: it's completely hypocritical at its core. Only brain-dead fanboys would ever defend this. Well congrats to the ones that already did so itt. You guys have made an ass out of yourselves just as big as M2000 himself.

Last edited:

taljen

Smash Rookie
That's not wrong, though. I probably place as well as I do at Northwest events on the virtue that Link is really good, not me.
I'm sorry to keep posting, I'm not trying to be argumentative, especially considering my own low skill level, but doesn't that conflict with the argument that people should adapt to the game instead of arguing for nerfs/buffs? For example, if you feel you've placed well due to your character more than to your own skill, doesn't that imply that your character is overpowered and needs adjusting?

Again, I'm sorry if I'm being obtuse here, I'm not saying I agree or disagree with either of the sentiments I believe M2K stated. I just personally feel like they are contradictory.

Fortress

Smash Master
And that's what's wrong with M2K's rant: it's completely hypocritical at its core. Only brain-dead fanboys would ever defend this. Well congrats to the ones that already did so itt. You guys have made an *** out of yourselves just as big as M2000 himself.
What does that make the people putting so much time and energy into detracting from his points, then....?

I'm sorry to keep posting, I'm not trying to be argumentative, especially considering my own low skill level, but doesn't that conflict with the argument that people should adapt to the game instead of arguing for nerfs/buffs? For example, if you feel you've placed well due to your character more than to your own skill, doesn't that imply that your character is overpowered and needs adjusting?

Again, I'm sorry if I'm being obtuse here, I'm not saying I agree or disagree with either of the sentiments I believe M2K stated. I just personally feel like they are contradictory.
That's fine, they probably are contradictory. I have no idea (I only skimmed through the thing). Your skill level also shouldn't determine whether-or-not you have a say in things, so jump in.

Last edited:

fabulouspants

Smash Apprentice
I like how m2k and armada love to put emphasis on the fact that they dont play PM. They win 99% of PM tourneys, they don't even play the game, then they call everyone that plays the game ****. M2k/armada SAMA.

Its great how every single player that actually wins nationals in PM call the game easy/gimmicky/stupid lol. Hahaha.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
That Sanic guy I keep hearing about, who has been the least consistent character update-to-update more-or-less because of complaints leveled against his character.
One character being nerfed and then buffed is not exactly what I would call "constant drastic changes to the whole cast".

I'm not sure how you extracted that from several paragraphs of complaints about 'gimmicks'.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I agree with M2K, mainly because I know what hes trying to say... a lot of people are just put off by his word choice and think that means that his arguments are invalid or something like that idk.

With his gimmicks/PM fraud statement, hes basically trying to say that the tools they gave this character is too braindead thats why an average PM player can get so far in tourney. Ex. Imagine if by buffing a character, they made all his moves come out on frame 1. M2k is saying that this is carrying the player, not his skill level... its an extreme example, but one that I totally agree with.

As for the overpowered and let the metagame develop statements, they are two different things that he just kinda looped together. Its not really contradictory, its similar to people saying that all recoveries in PM are too good but Toon Link has garbage recovery... that could also be seen as contradictory but its not since its adressing two different points. M2K is basically saying that they should tone down the gimmicky nature of the game itself, but let the metagame develop and not listen to the whiners who complain about Diddy Mewtwo etc. If thats seen as contradictory, then you'll never see his true point lol.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
No, but you can't deny that it has happened to a huge portion of it.
I can, and I will - I'd say the only characters that have had extremely notable changes since their inception are Sonic and Ike.

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Because it's a bad opinion; it implies that a solution to problems other people have exist, while simultaneously absolving the person of the responsibility of proving that they're right.

When people argue that [thing] is overpowered or broken, and someone responds with 'someone will figure something out eventually so just deal with it', you're saying that they're wrong to want changes but not actually providing any reasonable evidence that demonstrates that waiting is actually a favorable option - the implication is that letting the metagame 'evolve' is the better idea, but nobody ever says why.

It's an especially insipid thing for people to say when they're known for playing Melee - a game where the metagame has essentially been the same for literally a decade.

M2K winning games does not give him free reign to be an *******.
Bleck
1. I disagree with the metagame being the same. If you believe that then you obviously haven't been following Melee since 01. One of things that kept Melee going is discovering new things and characters' metagame changing.
2. @Mew2King is NOT being an asshole. He is stating criticism and it honestly was brave of him to post what he did. He specifically mentioned he was speaking his mind and stating his opinion and that you can disagree or agree. Don't insult someone for having a different opinion.

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Point 3 is obvious. I don't think it's Backroom's problem, it's just Project M is pretty young. He says something about "egos". Maybe not the most indicated person to talk about that.

About point 4, he's completely right in my opinion. Same as 5.

Point 6 is very interesting. Same as 7. I hope they can offer a near perfect game with Project M.

I think M2K is kind of angry with some annoying Internet comments, but he's actually excited. He knows and likes this game and wants it to be perfect. It's just an opinion, a strong opinion, and I suppose PMBR agrees in most part of this message.

Vashimus

Smash Master
@ Mr.Random Mr.Random You reeeeally need to stop making these threads as they serve no purpose other than to have people bicker amongst each other.

PP MD has an opinion about PM? MAKE A THREAD
M2K has an opinion about PM? MAKE A THREAD
Armada has an opinion about PM? MAKE A THREAD

FFS, these people are grown men and can voice their opinions to the PMBR themselves. They are not hard people to find.

Last edited:

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
I like how m2k and armada love to put emphasis on the fact that they dont play PM. They win 99% of PM tourneys, they don't even play the game, then they call everyone that plays the game ****. M2k/armada SAMA.

Its great how every single player that actually wins nationals in PM call the game easy/gimmicky/stupid lol. Hahaha.
If they look down on it so much then someone needs to remind them that they're free to **** off back to melee; back to their elitist containment. Hard to believe such douchery actually yields any fans. I guess self-respect is just in short supply in the audiences.

Bleck

Smash Master
1. I disagree with the metagame being the same.
Okay.

He specifically mentioned he was speaking his mind and stating his opinion and that you can disagree or agree. Don't insult someone for having a different opinion.
You're gonna try to turn this into another insipid discussion about opinions, so I'm gonna ignore you here. Sorry.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
please insult people for their opinions, for the love of god

the last thing this circlejerk of a community needs is even more justification to shove their head permanently into the echo chamber, please please please don't treat the concept of an opinion as an infallible free ticket out of saying incredibly asinine things

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

taljen

Smash Rookie
@ Mr.Random Mr.Random You really need to stop making these as they serve no purpose other than to have the PM community bicker amongst each other.

PP MD has an opinion about PM? MAKE A THREAD
M2K has an opinion about PM? MAKE A THREAD
Armada has an opinion about PM? MAKE A THREAD

FFS, these people are grown men and can voice their opinions to the PMBR themselves. They are not hard people to find. Enough of this bull****.
I can 100% understand that the main consequence of these kind of threads just results in bickering within the community. One minor silver lining that attracted me personally to this thread was to get opinions about balance and PM. While I obviously have nothing but respect and gratitude for the PMBR, when playing with my circle of friends (we are all big fans of the smash community, though our technical skill isn't high yet) I often hear "X is overpowered, etc, etc." For example, I enjoy playing as Mewtwo, but constantly hear about how he is currently overpowered and that the PMBR will certainly nerf him in the next release. As a consequence, I avoid playing as Mewtwo, not because I wouldn't still play him after a nerf, but because I don't want my progress in learning the game to be hampered because I am using an overpowered character as a crutch. But like I said, my friends and I are hardly experts on these matters. So when a top level player makes an announcement discussing character balance, I thought it would be educational and interesting to see if M2K's claims were largely considered accurate and fair.

Sorry for the tl;dr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom