• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi vs Falcon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sytar

Smash Ace
Hey, I play falcon and my friend plays Luigi.

He's always cursing about the ****ed knee and it's unfair priority and whatnot. He seems to think that Falcon is almost a counter for Luigi or something of the like.

I have a few questions regarding this.
A) Who has the upper hand in this battle? Falcon or Luigi?

B) What moves of Luigi--if timed properly--out prioitize "the knee"?

Oh wait. One last thing.
When Luigi does his uptilt, which direction is best to DI? Occasionally I get caught in 90% combos because I'm a d*amned fool who can't DI for the life of him.

Lucky_Sharmz19

Smash Ace
Falcon probably has the upperhand. Because Luigi is so floaty, he can be an easy target for a big fat knee. What can out prioitize the knee? I dunno, Luigi's F air maybe?

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Sytar said:
Mediocre Luigi > Mediocre Falcon
Good Luigi < Good Falcon

I don't think any of Luigi's moves can outprioritize the knee, at least not consistently. Every aerial I've tried seems to trade hits (assuming the Falcon can time it well).

Oh wait. One last thing.
When Luigi does his uptilt, which direction is best to DI? Occasionally I get caught in 90% combos because I'm a d*amned fool who can't DI for the life of him.
DI sideways and tech, or DI upwards and jump out. You should be able to jump out at less than 60%.

Sytar

Smash Ace
I was more or less wondering which sideways.
Sometimes I can get huge amounts of DI away after the first blow even at a low percent, and sometimes I just sit there and die horribly.

P.S. Thanks for the very informative help.
(No Sarcasm.)

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Sytar said:
I was more or less wondering which sideways.
Sometimes I can get huge amounts of DI away after the first blow even at a low percent, and sometimes I just sit there and die horribly.

P.S. Thanks for the very informative help.
(No Sarcasm.)
Obviously you don't want to DI off the edge but I don't see how it would matter whether you DI'ed left or right.

I can't tell you why there's a difference in the distance. You may be starting to DI at different times when you get hit, or you may have DI'ed with the C-stick without knowing it.

Nightmare KoRn Kid

Smash Champion
It makes a difference if you Di behind or in front of them, if you Di behind they B air, if you Di forward they F air. Ehh, at 90%, though, just jump out. X_X Or even stomp, lol the stomp would set him up for a knee.

Falcon can **** floaties, hard. The MASSIVE comablility Falcon has on floaties gives him a huge advantage, and Falcon definately has a nice, pretty, knee target. Falcon ALSO has an easy intercept course, easy timed Up airs, and the MUCH more insulting Knee intercept will ANIHILATE Luigi's recovery. Love tap knees and the beloved stomp spike will also make this match look especially nice for the falcon (stomp them right before they sweet spot, and use love tap knees when they're way below the stage any way... ohh and just to like clear it up "love tap knees" are the ones w/o the shineyness, it's basically post execution knee, it's kneeing, and then guiding the knee into a player with the fast fall, it'll fudge up their side B and REALLy hurt their jump).

Luigi's N air can mess things up though, falcon's combos can get all messed up with a nicely time N air from Luigi, it'll also out prioritize, and come out quicker than the knee.

BTW

Mediocre Falcon with ANY TECH SKILLS WHATSOEVER > Mediocre Luigi =\

IDK why you'd think a floaty mid tier would be better than a floaty ****** high tier, but i guess you're entitled to your opinion... I'll ask G reg sometime about his thoughts, though. =P

nublet06

Smash Lord
i play this match at least 10 times a day. (me as luigi of course)

i personally think you should DI behind the luigi. im not 100 percent sure but i am pretty sure that luigi's up tilt hits the opponent behind him a little bit. so if you di behind him you may be able to get that extra distace. but pretty much as long as you DI it gets you pretty safe. plus you only get baired (watch out for follow ups) instead of fair.

luigi has plenty of combos and can zero to death a falcon with nasty edge gaurding. but as stated above......meteor smash the up be recovery....knee the side b......and use your own side b and stomp to set up for a knee if you cant get one off.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
A) Falcon somewhat has the upper hand in this match. I kinda agree with Lixivium on how it deviates through skill levels, because a mediocre Luigi could still do something ridiculous like down throw sh back nair u-tilt u-tilt sh chop waveland u-smash fj chop waveland turn bair (off stage) edgehog. Probably no, though it has been done... But the point is, combos are easy unless the CapFalc is experienced enough to avoid them.

Upwards of stuff like that the match is tipped maybe 6:4 in Falcon's favor at worst, IMO, and then drawing more even with stage picks.

B) I wouldn't really try to outprioritize the Knee. Nado hits both, sex hits both unless they start at like the same time, close range (i.e. if Falcon's trying to combo into it and gets broken with a nair). I kinda stay near the ground on this match up, because I hate getting Knee'd, and so sometimes there's an opportunity to shield grounded knees, wavedash forward and go. Or tech. Really, though, Knees will beat Luigi if you have a setup for them.

C) You should mix it up. Bair has much bigger range than fair, so generally forward will put you out of range since he'd have to Chop. Alternately, DI up and rejump or stomp. If you DI away, you might want to be ready to attack, or tap out, or FF techroll or something, because there's probably a Nado headed your way.

Oh, and Falcon should recover high just like against doc.

Sytar

Smash Ace
down throw sh back nair u-tilt u-tilt sh chop waveland u-smash fj chop waveland turn bair (off stage) edgehog

....my friend saw this and laugh.
Because you wrote down something he has done to me.
Except for the u-smash. He usually goes for a d-smash or u-tilt to chop.

I'm not idiotic enough to get caught in those pseudo-combos often, but after playing for
hours upon hours on end, I tend not to DI as well as I would if it were a serious match.
Just kind of space out and what not.
:- ( I hate myself when I zone back in and I realize he got 70% in just a little under two seconds.

VilNess

Smash Champion
I never had problems with Falcon... and even marths actually, except for the best marth in europe that I coudln´t win...
Falcon loves Amish comboes! (sex kixk sex kick sex kick)

bbb

Smash Champion
I don't know, I have been severely screwed over by that knee with all my characters, but I can usually see it coming and Side Step > Knee of Death, then give 'em a good old Shield to Up B or Up Smash or Grab. That usually works for me, but watch for the knee, it *****.

Xtra

Smash Ace
i have a hard time with this match up as well. i get caught up in too many shffl's nairs from cpt. those set up nicely for a shffl'd knee as well. the edgeguarding game could go either way tho. both can edgeguard each other pretty effectivly

Gea

Smash Master
As long as there are platforms and Lui doesn't stay above Falcon (uair and knees) it isn't like utter ****. But Falcon does well against floaties so...

Xtra

Smash Ace
Gea said:
As long as there are platforms and Lui doesn't stay above Falcon (uair and knees) it isn't like utter ****. But Falcon does well against floaties so...
yah. i agree fully but the platform game could go be played well on both players. i suppose cpt does have the upper hand tho, or should i say foot/knee

Gea

Smash Master
Xtra said:
yah. i agree fully but the platform game could go be played well on both players. i suppose cpt does have the upper hand tho, or should i say foot/knee
Yeah, all of his aerials really hurt Lui bad (stomp is the ultimately edgeguard if Lui doesn't have his second jump and isn't right against the stage) and there are quite a few knee setups Falcon can take. However... Lui can still combo the hell out of Falcon on the ground if he can stun him once. Like a two hit cyclone into a utilt frenzy, and when he starts to get out via DI you downsmash and either sex or bair him, and if you can continue from there, go for it.

The problem lies in the fact that Lui has little aproach on Falcon, but Falcon can approach Lui pretty easy. Beyond that its fairly even, considering they both can mess each other over pretty bad. But approach is a big thing sometimes.

dlen06

Smash Apprentice
I'd say falcon does have a bit of an advantage. But if the luigi can stay underneath and avoid getting setup into the knee, luge would have a much better chance. I've never played a good falcon so i can't give any personal input but that's my opinion.

dlen06

Smash Apprentice
well the stomp is only very effective when luge is off of the stage. But what i meant by staying under is that luigi could pop him up and pound on him with his aerials. I like your sig xtra.

Xtra

Smash Ace
dlen06 said:
well the stomp is only very effective when luge is off of the stage. But what i meant by staying under is that luigi could pop him up and pound on him with his aerials. I like your sig xtra.
hahaha thanx. thats the second time i got that on this thread alone. but if u were talking staying out of getting set up for the knee. well the stomp can do that at lower "lower' percentages.

jake the boy

Smash Ace
Its pretty easy to see when a knee is coming. When that happens to me, I'll WD back and WD grab during the lag the Falcon gets. If I'm in the air, I'll use a tornado and that cancels out the knee.

I play alot of Falcons, and I know a good Luigi can win against a good Falcon. Bairs work really well with ledgeguarding, and WDing into a grab (or dsmash, grab is safer) work really well. Tornado works well against Falcons Uair.

Sytar

Smash Ace
jake the boy said:
Its pretty easy to see when a knee is coming. When that happens to me, I'll WD back and WD grab during the lag the Falcon gets. If I'm in the air, I'll use a tornado and that cancels out the knee.

I play alot of Falcons, and I know a good Luigi can win against a good Falcon. Bairs work really well with ledgeguarding, and WDing into a grab (or dsmash, grab is safer) work really well. Tornado works well against Falcons Uair.
It's not a very bright thing to do. Wavedashing back when the captain is kneeing. Many times, falcon players have no aim and will overshoot the mark by a quite a bit. That's a good way to land one right in the face.
The Tornado is a good idea.

Also, the stomp isn't scary at ALL to Luigi. A fair outprioritizes a stomp. It's stupid. Almost from anywhere, a stomp<luigi's fair.

Gea

Smash Master
Stomp is very useful to Falcon in this match. If Lui is not in the air and you manage a stomp, usually that is a perfect knee setup. Off the ledge if Lui is too far away and needs to green missle, most Lui's will not fair you, they will eat the stomp hoping for a misfire, and the fair hits the falcon back to the stage. Now if you just jump torwards an aerial Lui with intent to stop, you're stupid.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
jake the boy said:
Just to hop in here for a sec: you do realize that most Falcon players do not randomly shffl knees in the hope of nailing you, yes? :dizzy: I mean. . .knees are usually finishers after a decent set-up of some sort, where the stun involved is so great that wavedashing/wavelanding/jumping/sex-kicking to escape an impending stomp is probably out of the question.

RaRaRachael

Smash Ace
WOW, after reconsidering this whole topic, Luigi might actually have a fair shot at a battle between Falcon and himself. Even though Falcon's moves are powerful, they are mega laggy. For example, Falcon Punch. Falcon Punch is a really laggy move but if someone gets hit by it, theyre screwed. On the other hand, Luigi's moves are less powerful but more quick. Luigi has a much better chance, percentage wise, to kill Falcon. This is because he can get more hits in quicker than Falcon can, despite his weakness.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
??? Falcon Punch??? 0_o?

Anyways, are you guys talking about the Falcon going out to stomp Luigi when the Lui has his 2nd jump, on not? Because if he does then I wouldn't see it as that much of a problem. You just have to be able to meteor cancel fairly well.

But yeah, if you're talking about him not having his second jump, and then getting a stomp, then yeah, you're screwed.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
He means that no Falcon in his right mind would use the Falcon Punch in a real match...except for a very occasional edgeguard.

Gea

Smash Master
Yes KA. No second jump and off the edge. It happens more than a Lui player would like it to.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Gea said:
Yes KA. No second jump and off the edge. It happens more than a Lui player would like it to.
Don't I know it (-_-"). I get hit out of a lot of ledge hops.

Sytar

Smash Ace
Falcon's bair pwns Luigi's ledge hops quite often. I believe it is possible to still have invincibility and get a chop though, so timing might be the key. On the other hand, I have no frame information, so I'd like to know about this.

3DE

Smash Rookie
Hey, I play falcon and my friend plays Luigi.

He's always cursing about the ****ed knee and it's unfair priority and whatnot. He seems to think that Falcon is almost a counter for Luigi or something of the like.

I have a few questions regarding this.

Oh wait. One last thing.
Hello, I'M 3DE. Luigi has the upper hand in this battle. If you jump and down smash that may beat the knee. Di down to escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom