• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Pikachu

Kude

Smash Rookie
Any advice for a scrub ass luigi facing an even worse pikachu? Anything to look out for in particular? For the future, I may pick up a secondary against the rat, any advice on that?

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
You shouldn't need a secondary; I can't imagine that this is at all a bad matchup, though admittedly I have minimal experience with it and there are next to no videos available to analyse. Luigi is the kind of character Pikachu struggles with: floaty, good crouch-cancel game, decent combo game on Pikachu, outprioritises Pikachu a lot, and significantly more mobile than Pikachu. In a lot of ways he's similar to Peach, who is one of Pikachu's worst matchups.

Down throw chain grab/tech chase. I cant remember exactly how high it goes, but it's significant and starts from 0%; and Pikachu's techroll is so short that you can techchase on reaction if they get out of the chaingrab for whatever reason.

Crouch-cancel everything; Pikachu really struggles to beat it due to frame-negative and short-ranged aerials, and a short-ranged grab with poor followups. They'll be going for a lot of deep crossup nairs and down smashes to try and get around your crouch-cancel and tack on damage until you can't do it anymore. Thunderbolt and spaced down tilt will probably be pretty common/effective too.

When edgeguarding, focus on denying the ledge and forcing an onstage recovery. You can ledgeclimb/waveland->up-B/jump aerial like you do against Sheik.

Last edited:

Thomdore

Smash Cadet
I can come with some insight, since I play Pikachu pretty frequently.

Crossup Nairs is like Stride say their "BnB", either CC those at lower % or try WD over and sneak under an Usmash, or just outspace and poke with ftilt,downsmash etc.

Pikachu grab. Atleast the one I'm playing, fish for grabs at the edge, cause Luigi's poor air speed, you can get easly gimped at the edge by the tail. Don't play too him, play safe. If you do get grabbed, try mix up your recovery back with airdodge, missile.

If you get grabs mid-high%, down throw turnaround Fair/Dair. At lower %, Uthrow too any ariel, maybe you even can chain uair->something.

Utilt is great in this matchup in 20-40% range, can even get 2-3 in a row, and is still a great setup for ariel.

At ledge, they often try to get you off with thunderjolt if they recover high, you just have too give them edge if they are about too hit you. When they start their quick attack, and you are hanging at the edge, it's a good chance they go for the stage. Walkup->UpB or even ledgehop Dair where you think their quick attack is comeing is nice.

Kude

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys! The downthrow advice helped alot. Now, my biggest problem is edgeguarding pikachu, though I think I'll get that over time

Deg

Smash Cadet
2 tips:

You said you were pretty lowskill and here's a thing that stops working when people learn proper DI. Dthrow actually chaingrabs pika for many many % (like 40) without good DI. This is actually good on most levels of play due to the fact that Luigi is fast and people may already be thrown before they react to the grab or even the approach.

Also, pikas recovery is very deceptive. It looks very good but it has a few great flaws. In the end of the animation of each leap pikas hitbox extends immensly both vertically and horizontally. This means that pika has huge problems sweetspotting the ledge. If you put a longlasting attack (like ftilt) at the ledge he will often get hit if he doesn't get or use the perfect angles.
If pika goes for the stage he/she lags, a LOT enough so for you to wavedash upB or ledgejump Dair.

Hope this helps.

Kude

Smash Rookie
It absolutely does! I didn't know that about the hitboxes of the up b, so that's something I'll have to take advantage of. Thanks!

Top Bottom