• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Luigi Match-up Discussion Thread

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
How do you manage to make villager so low?
Also, most of the matchups on here seem to be ranked by how different they are from a normal match up that doesn't make it better for the opponent.
Personally: I see the dumbest placement being shulk. Shulk has several great tools against luigi, and also, don't make a list based off for glory, it just doesn't work like that.
Avoid the word dumb please. Some may take offense to it. Anyways, I personally would have Falcon, DDD, Kirby and Samus lower [Samus's sole tool is charge shot] and Toon Link + ROB higher. There's others think I'd nitpck but again it's your personal list. No one seems to agree too much when I say ROB is in Luigi's top 5 worst afterall...

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
About a month ago, I would have had Falcon much lower. But it seems like Falcon players are learning the MU more or are just getting better overall. I used to never lose to Falcon. Now I get whipped. Kirby has been getting a lot better in my eyes. Very high damaging character who can combat Luigi pretty well. Samus is just a pain for me to fight. Charge Shot + Missiles destroy shields and can make it hard to approach. Harder than Link's projectiles. She also has very good frame data and can beat Luigi to the punch much of the time. DDD is just.... idk I can't ever beat that character.

I never had too much issue with Toon Link but he is noticeably tougher than Link. Very quick and floaty. This MU is more annoying to me than difficult. ROB's zoning game is awesome but I feel if Luigi stays grounded in neutral then he can get in nicely. He kinda owns ROB once he's in his space.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Luigi can get in ROB if he plays smartly with shields. Unless he picked up his Gyro, his projectiles are all pretty obvious. Run to shield is one of my best friends on combating long-ranged projectile. He doesn't push Luigi too far away too.

For Weegee vs ROB:

Pretty sure there are others on YouTube. Might want to take some examples from high-level plays.

D

Deleted member

The thing that can give Luigi trouble in the R.O.B. matchup is if he is camped.
I have a friend that is a very good R.O.B. main and I had a very hard time landing hits because they camped. It seems to be an effective strategy as I can't close in distance efficiently and R.O.B. has some good aerials (like nair (which can lead up with his jabs) and fair) and projectiles (like his Gyros and lasers).
Once we get in, however, R.O.B. is very easy to combo; his big size is combo meat to us.
Overtly aggressive R.O.B.s could be easier for us... campier, more defensive ones will screw us.
The matchup to me depends. In some ways, I can see it be in Luigi's favor. In other ways, I think it's in R.O.B.'s favor.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
I made a list... Not a tier list but my personal MU list for Luigi. These are entirely based off of my experiences(mostly in FG). I don't place highly in tournaments but I feel like I have a good handle on Luigi's strengths and weaknesses so this could possibly be a base for a MU tier list. Higher being harder MUs. I've played a bunch of offline but only a handful of different characters offline. I have very little exposure to Miis and I never fought a Swordfighter before. This is also a vanilla list so customs are not involved.

Here it is:
View attachment 53985
Dedede is an amazing match up for Luigi. Being the only character slower in the air than Luigi, you just have to spam fireballs at max range and keep him out with more fireballs. Dedede thrives on punishes with his giant death-mallet, so if you don't give him anything to punish he loses a lot of potency. So camp him, and camp him hard.

I play a local (good) Dedede main and once I started to camp him I stopped losing matches against him completely, so my experience isn't just for glory =P.
No one seems to agree too much when I say ROB is in Luigi's top 5 worst afterall...
My top 5 right now are Mega Man, Villager, Shiek, Rosalina, and I don't really have a 5th match up that makes me start crying. I've played some really solid ROBs though and I definitely see where you're coming from. Marth/Lucina is another match up that's starting to make me cringe. I have definitely been feeling the buffs when they're in the hands of good players. The disjoints and pokes have been much trickier to deal with, and they edge guard Luigi very easily.

TriTails

Smash Lord

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Luigi can get in ROB if he plays smartly with shields. Unless he picked up his Gyro, his projectiles are all pretty obvious. Run to shield is one of my best friends on combating long-ranged projectile. He doesn't push Luigi too far away too.

For Weegee vs ROB:

Pretty sure there are others on YouTube. Might want to take some examples from high-level plays.
Rob can camp out Luigi, but once Luigi gets in on ROB and grab him(if you can), then ROB's combo-food because of large hurt-box.

The funny thing is about Boss vs Tantalus that after Boss beats Tantalus, you can listen to Tantalus's commentary on the matches of Boss vs Seagull which is on 5/17/15. Plus, the match-up with Luigi against Sonic can be annoying because of Sonic's speed and spin-dash.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I made a list... Not a tier list but my personal MU list for Luigi. These are entirely based off of my experiences(mostly in FG). I don't place highly in tournaments but I feel like I have a good handle on Luigi's strengths and weaknesses so this could possibly be a base for a MU tier list. Higher being harder MUs. I've played a bunch of offline but only a handful of different characters offline. I have very little exposure to Miis and I never fought a Swordfighter before. This is also a vanilla list so customs are not involved.

Here it is:
View attachment 53985
King DeDeDe would problemly be lower because the match-up with Luigi and King DeDeDe, its in Luigi's favor. King DeDeDe have more range to keep Luigi out, but once the man in green is in, he's combo food and easy to hit as well since he's large.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
King DeDeDe would problemly be lower because the match-up with Luigi and King DeDeDe, its in Luigi's favor. King DeDeDe have more range to keep Luigi out, but once the man in green is in, he's combo food and easy to hit as well since he's large.
Try to avoid double posts and edit your original in the future. But yeah, it is in Luigi's favor. DDD is combo food and Gordos are super easy to reflect. But unlike other heavies, he's super hard to gimp, has the most range of them all I believe...and never, ever dies. At least your're faster than someone in the air, for once! So it's really easy to outspeed DDD on all accounts. I'd probably say 55-45 Luigi

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
+3 (heavy advantage) ::4dedede:
+2 (advantage) ::4bowser::4bowserjr::4charizard::4diddy::4dk::4falco::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4link::4mewtwo::4pikachu::4robinm::4zelda:
+1 (light advantage) : :4fox::4lucario::4marth::4peach::4zss::4sonic:
0 (even) : :4jigglypuff::4gaw::4ness::4pit::4wario2::4mario::4olimar::4kirby::4yoshi::4samus::4metaknight::4falcon:
-1 (light disadvantage) : :4greninja::4littlemac::4villager:
-2 (disadvantage) : :4rob::4sheik::rosalina:
-3 (heavy disadvantage) : :4megaman::4pacman:

IDK or IDC: :4palutena::4miisword::4miibrawl::4miigun::4duckhunt:
Clones: :4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina:

This is my general impression of Weegee's MUs w/o customs. I'm not using + or - 4, because it's a little silly to call a match-up "unloseable."

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Try to avoid double posts and edit your original in the future. But yeah, it is in Luigi's favor. DDD is combo food and Gordos are super easy to reflect. But unlike other heavies, he's super hard to gimp, has the most range of them all I believe...and never, ever dies. At least your're faster than someone in the air, for once! So it's really easy to outspeed DDD on all accounts. I'd probably say 55-45 Luigi
B-air beats SD3J's armor. So you can stage spike him if he decides to recover low. If he manages to recover high for all wrong reasons, never miss the chance to FJP.

+3 (heavy advantage) :
+2 (advantage) ::4bowser::4bowserjr::4charizard::4dedede::4diddy::4dk::4falco::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4link::4mewtwo::4pikachu::4robinm::4zelda:
+1 (light advantage) : :4falcon::4fox::4lucario::4marth::4metaknight::4peach::4samus::4zss::4sonic:
0 (even) : :4jigglypuff::4gaw::4ness::4pit::4wario2::4mario::4olimar::4kirby::4yoshi:

IDK or IDC: :4duckhunt::4palutena::4miisword::4miibrawl::4miigun:

This is my general impression of Weegee's MUs w/o customs. I'm not using + or - 4, because it's a little silly to call a match-up "unloseable."

Edit: I meant to put Yoshi in even. Sorry. I forgot him and added him at the last minute, so I tacked him onto the wrong row.
Me's comments:

- Diddy is too high! Luigi merely has slight advantage to him. IDK about Pikachu, Link, and Zelda in that spot.
- Luigi isn't advantaged against MK. Probably even. ZSS is a tough one if she uses her Flip Jump correctly, but it may be even.
- I actually agree with G&W. Never seem to be much of a problem aside from edgeguarding (I overestimated Chef SO much). And Luigi is advantaged against Mario.
- Looks promising so far.
- ROB kinda get owned by Luigi once he gets in. Luigi also edgeguard him quite well (D-air spike YEAHHHHHH). Maybe -1
- IDK on Pac being that high. But I don't really have much experience on that MU

IMO on your IDK:
- DHD is quite in Luigi's favor. He can't outcamp Luigi (Best he has is can, which goes through Fireballs and is hard to hit back (It'll explode in your face if you get too close)), and while his aerials are quite gud, he has trouble killing (Wonky smashes. Go figure), and can be comboed rather well. He is easy to edgeguard too (Can't cancel the Up-B). But MAYBE it's even.
- Palutena is pretty even without customs. She can give Luigi trouble with windboxes, but her smashes and tilts are quite laggy. Though, her aerials pack a ton punch. Her mobility isn't the one to scoff at either. But she can't really keep us out, and we combo her alright. The punish window on the ground seem fairly a lot, she doesn't want to whiff her attacks here.

IMO. Not too sure. Better nerf Greninja check videos.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Rob can camp out Luigi, but once Luigi gets in on ROB and grab him(if you can), then ROB's combo-food because of large hurt-box.
You mean his broken hurt box? I tried an fire punch when I was right beside him and no dice.
- IDK on Pac being that high. But I don't really have much experience on that MU
That's a relatively easy matchup, Luigi has a 6.5 3.5 advantage I think

Last edited:

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
You mean his broken hurt box? I tried an fire punch when I was right beside him and no dice.

That's a relatively easy matchup, Luigi has a 6.5 3.5 advantage I think
No way, Ive played some really good pacs and it is in no way in luigis favor. He can out camp with fruit and the hydrant it just makes it really tough overall for luigi. Plus he can place the trampoline on the floor to interrupt our grab game.

I'd like to talk about the yoshi matchup. Almost all of yoshis moves are safe on shield, and given its luigi with his traction it'll be very difficult to punish. The air mobility difference is insane. He can weave in and out slowly chipping away at hour %. Personally I think its a bad matchup for luigi. Thoughts?

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
+3 (heavy advantage) :
+2 (advantage) ::4bowser::4bowserjr::4charizard::4dedede::4diddy::4dk::4falco::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4link::4mewtwo::4pikachu::4robinm::4zelda:
+1 (light advantage) : :4falcon::4fox::4lucario::4marth::4metaknight::4peach::4samus::4zss::4sonic:
0 (even) : :4jigglypuff::4gaw::4ness::4pit::4wario2::4mario::4olimar::4kirby::4yoshi:

Edit: I meant to put Yoshi in even. Sorry. I forgot him and added him at the last minute, so I tacked him onto the wrong row.
Captain Falcon: I may have to put him on even MU because he can gimp him with dair, knee, and back air and his up-air has good air speed to use his up-air to out-range Luigi's air attacks. So, the MU is even in my book.
Sonic: Slighty In Sonic's favor, because Sonic can escape's some of Luigi's combos and outspeeds Luigi since he is slow on the ground. Also, the spin dash can be the death of you if you fall for his baits and don't throw out well-timed sex kick to stop his spin dash.
Little Mac: easy MU for Luigi, have control of the stage and throw out a fireball to bait a roll, a spot-dodge or shield because he only has a ground approach and no air approach. Little Mac can't gimp you very well so always recover low. if you somehow get him towards the ledge and grab him, then you throw him off the stage and fair him so he can't grab the ledge because of his low jump height and bad air speed. Little Mac may win on the ground, but Luigi has a better air game, grab game, edgeguarding game.
ROB: He can out-camp him, but once Luigi's in ROB's face, its hard to keep him out and he's combo meat because of his large hurtbox. Slighty in Luigi's favor.
Pikachu: Slighty or even because Pikachu can give Luigi a hard time to get back on stage with thunder, fair, bair, and thunder jolt. While Luigi beats Pikachu in the air, Pikachu kinda wins on the ground due to his better approaching with quick attacks, jolts, SH fairs and better ground speed. Still, Luigi has better koing options and set-ups, combos, and better close range game because you don't want Luigi in your face for long.
I think you got everything expect those characters that I listed above so I just like to bring it up.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Sorry, I want to share my thought of what I think about the MU, but you're right about it being in Luigi's favor though.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47

That MU for Luigi is a pain against Sonic, but it finally paid off thanks to Boss being the best Luigi player out there:)
Anyone has thoughts about the MU with Luigi against Sonic?

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I want to share my thought of what I think about the MU, but you're right about it being in Luigi's favor though.
When @ Y Yonder said to avoid double posts, I don't think he was suggesting that quadruple posts were fine.....

- Diddy is too high! Luigi merely has slight advantage to him.
I actually only put Diddy there, bumping him up from +1, because I remembered ZeRo saying that Luigi wrecked Diddy, or something like that. I don't really trust my own experience, as it's all on FG, so my list is mostly based on the (educated) opinions of others and what I've observed from competitive matches.

- Luigi isn't advantaged against MK. Probably even.
I actually tend to agree with that. I wasn't sure, because I felt like Luigi had the slightest advantage, just because it's easier to rack up damage and he has projectiles. But it seems even from what I've seen. I changed it to a slight advantage because @Katakiri on the MK boards put it as 45-55 in his MU spread for MK. It was close to what I thought, and he knows a lot more than me, so I changed it.

ZSS is a tough one if she uses her Flip Jump correctly, but it may be even.
I only realized how good flip jump was, for both edge-guarding and recovery, after I made this list.

And Luigi is advantaged against Mario.
I had him as that originally, but I wasn't sure. I think you're right.

- ROB kinda get owned by Luigi once he gets in. Luigi also edgeguard him quite well (D-air spike YEAHHHHHH). Maybe -1
This is the first one I really disagree with. Mostly because ROB gets owned by every character when they get in, but he makes approach extremely difficult. IDK. I don't have as much experience on this match-up. Also, I rarely land the dair spike, so I usually don't even try, but I guess it would be a lot easier on ROB due to his insane hurt-box. Hmmm.

Trampolines, apples, and hydrants..... It's brutal, trust me. He makes approaching impossible, and edge-guards like crazy. It may seem more like -2 in practice, but Pac-Mains are only getting better at making use of all his tools.

IMO on your IDK:
- DHD is quite in Luigi's favor. He can't outcamp Luigi (Best he has is can, which goes through Fireballs and is hard to hit back (It'll explode in your face if you get too close)), and while his aerials are quite gud, he has trouble killing (Wonky smashes. Go figure), and can be comboed rather well. He is easy to edgeguard too (Can't cancel the Up-B). But MAYBE it's even.
- Palutena is pretty even without customs. She can give Luigi trouble with windboxes, but her smashes and tilts are quite laggy. Though, her aerials pack a ton punch. Her mobility isn't the one to scoff at either. But she can't really keep us out, and we combo her alright. The punish window on the ground seem fairly a lot, she doesn't want to whiff her attacks here.

IMO. Not too sure. Better nerf Greninja check videos.
Based on all the posts I've seen from you, I really respect your opinion.

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
No way, Ive played some really good pacs and it is in no way in luigis favor. He can out camp with fruit and the hydrant it just makes it really tough overall for luigi. Plus he can place the trampoline on the floor to interrupt our grab game.
But pac man can't really keep you out much, if you know how to sheild properly. His hydranf also isn't that bad, you can hit it at him with one f smash. Luigi by far beats pac man in nuetral, because luigi can keep throwing fire balls and attacks at him while pac man only has predictable projectiles and a crappy forward air. The only real tool pac man has that is reliable against luigi is a combo breaker.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
For Sonic MU, remember that Luigi's Fireballs stop Spin Dashes, and the fact that we hit harder and has more reliable kill setups make this MU slightly in our favor IMO. His speed isn't intimidating (This isn't Greninja LOL), and we beat him up close. Edgeguarding him isn't all that hard (Grab the ledge + B-air or D-air) either.

And LM is a pain. Strong and quick attacks, along with some fearful smashes. F-tilt and D-smash are all PREEEEETY dang hard to punish with Luigi's traction.

ROB may get owned by everyone once they get in. Thing is, Luigi owns ROB one of the hardest.

Pac's trampoline says **** it to our shield. Our Fireballs are blocked by hydrants, and weare forced to approach from the air. Basically Trampoline + Hydrant behind it + Charge fruit (Namco camp). And he ROTFL us in neutral.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Pac's trampoline says **** it to our shield. Our Fireballs are blocked by hydrants, and weare forced to approach from the air. Basically Trampoline + Hydrant behind it + Charge fruit (Namco camp). And he ROTFL us in neutral.
Because, you know, he totally doesn't have to get in front of the hydrant to make a trampoline. And still, no pac man even does that in the first place.
Stages are also not built for that wall to work, only works on FD.
Pac man can throw hydrants and trampolines all he wants, but he's not doing damage to me with it so it doesn't really matter. Eventually, either your going to hit pac man with the hydrant, or he'll get in grab range. Once again, if you can sheild properly, his projectiles don't do crap.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Warning Received
For Sonic MU, remember that Luigi's Fireballs stop Spin Dashes, and the fact that we hit harder and has more reliable kill setups make this MU slightly in our favor IMO. His speed isn't intimidating (This isn't Greninja LOL), and we beat him up close. Edgeguarding him isn't all that hard (Grab the ledge + B-air or D-air) either.
I'll have to experience more online when I face more sonic players, but that's useful information though. Do you think the Short hop sex kick and fair also works if timed right?

Edit:Ok, please forgive me for that original post, earlier.

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I don't kow. Fireball can work, but the player will figure out how to get around it. Also, Sonic can get out of Luigi's combos with the spring and he can use the spin dash to mix up his recovery options. I'll have to experience more with the MU online, but that's good information though,
Just trying to help out and not cause any harm.
Starts to seem like trolling at this point.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
+3 (heavy advantage) :

Imo, I think your disadvantages are almost spot on, forgot TL though on the list I'd put as -1 and Pac Man is probably -2 or -1. I don't think Luigi has a +2 against Falco, Pikachu, Robin or Diddy. More like +1. I think Falcon is even, idk about ZSS being +1 either. Kirby and Mario might be +1. Other than that, good list.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Well, I have some time to waste, and I've played luigi ever since december in tournament, here's my list, the number is Luigi's score.

5:
10:
15:
20::4villager:(You will never change my opinion of this match up, no matter how hard you try.)
25::4olimar::4tlink:
30::4megaman::rosalina:
35::4duckhunt::4sheik::4samus::4yoshi:
40::4ness::4peach::4zss::4metaknight:
45::4link::4marth::4pikachu::4rob::4sonic::4wario2:
50::4falcon::4jigglypuff::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4miigun:
55::4darkpit::4diddy::4drmario::4ganondorf::4gaw::4greninja::4pacman::4pit:
60::4bowserjr::4dedede::4wiifit::4shulk:
65::4bowser::4fox::4kirby::4lucario::4miibrawl::4robinm:
70::4myfriends::4miisword::4palutena::4falco:
75::4littlemac::4mewtwo::4zelda:
80::4dk:
85::4charizard:
90:
95:

It seems my view point of the pac man matchup has changed...
Samus, falco, robin and meta knight are a bit rough measures.
20: 1
25: 2
30: 2
35: 4
40: 5
45: 6
Total disadvantages: 20
Even matchups: 6
55: 8
60: 4
65: 6
70: 5
75: 3
80: 1
85: 1
Total advantages: 28

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Everyone seems to have mega man as one Luigi's worst MUs while this is true, I don't think it's as bad as everyone may think. I'd say -1. Though I'm a bit more expierenced than the mega man I play. I say Luigi's problems are approaching, killing, and offstage. However, Luigi does have a good offstage game himself against mega man.

1.Approaching- Pellets/Lemons are annoying plain and simple. They beat fireball and cyclone, and because of Luigi's slowish ground speed and traction, hard to get through. You can get in by rolling, but try not to roll directly into him, as he will nair and pretty much reset the situation. Try to get as close and you can and jab, or even ftilt, just to hit mega man. Due to pellets he doesn't have a jab of his own to combat it with. Then you can try to go for the grab

2. Killing- Mega man is extremely difficult to kill vertically. His small size and weight, make down throw to cyclone practically useless. However down throw to bair seems to work well on him, as does down throw to dair. He falls quickly, so he's a bit easier to get the sweet spot on. Plus you can get come good combos at low percents. Grab>fair>regrab..etc. Also mega man has poor landing options, try to bait a laggy hard knuckle or an airdodge, and you up smash can up b him (I think a lot Luigis forget to use this because of down throw).

3. Offstage- Mega man can bair Luigi out of most of his recovery moves. Like most mus recovery very high or very low. There is invincibility in the middle frames of Luigi's up b so you won't get hard knuckled. The good news is Luigi can gimp him with cyclone. Due to mega man's fall speed, he falls out cyclone easily, and due to his poor air speed he has recover pretty much below the stage. Fall down and cyclone, and he's pretty much done. Yes rush is a good recovery move, but not as good as Sonic's spring.

Overall, it's a tough and annoying MU. It's a battle of attrition. If mega man can patiently keep
Luigi out and forces Luigi to over commit he wins. But if Luigi can pressure mega man in the neutral he wins. They are polar opposites, one's weakness is the others strength and vice-versa. It's not like brawl falco where you had the laser and illusion camp game, and all the crazy jab stuff to deal with. Below I posted a stream where I played my friend Burst each other in two sets. It was a charity tournament, but 2nd place got a Greninja amiibo so we definitely were trying.

http://www.twitch.tv/havenshine/b/664299844
Winner's Semis: 1:41:00 vs Burst
Loser's Finals: 2:35:00 vs Burst

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Starts to seem like trolling at this point.
What, no. I mean, I was trying to place my opinion of what I think about the Luigi MU chart that SpottedCerberus has above. If I'm placing any information that misdirection, rude or sounding like I'm trolling, then I apologize.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Everyone seems to have mega man as one Luigi's worst MUs while this is true, I don't think it's as bad as everyone may think. I'd say -1. Though I'm a bit more expierenced than the mega man I play. I say Luigi's problems are approaching, killing, and offstage. However, Luigi does have a good offstage game himself against mega man.

1.Approaching- Pellets/Lemons are annoying plain and simple. They beat fireball and cyclone, and because of Luigi's slowish ground speed and traction, hard to get through. You can get in by rolling, but try not to roll directly into him, as he will nair and pretty much reset the situation. Try to get as close and you can and jab, or even ftilt, just to hit mega man. Due to pellets he doesn't have a jab of his own to combat it with. Then you can try to go for the grab

2. Killing- Mega man is extremely difficult to kill vertically. His small size and weight, make down throw to cyclone practically useless. However down throw to bair seems to work well on him, as does down throw to dair. He falls quickly, so he's a bit easier to get the sweet spot on. Plus you can get come good combos at low percents. Grab>fair>regrab..etc. Also mega man has poor landing options, try to bait a laggy hard knuckle or an airdodge, and you up smash can up b him (I think a lot Luigis forget to use this because of down throw).

3. Offstage- Mega man can bair Luigi out of most of his recovery moves. Like most mus recovery very high or very low. There is invincibility in the middle frames of Luigi's up b so you won't get hard knuckled. The good news is Luigi can gimp him with cyclone. Due to mega man's fall speed, he falls out cyclone easily, and due to his poor air speed he has recover pretty much below the stage. Fall down and cyclone, and he's pretty much done. Yes rush is a good recovery move, but not as good as Sonic's spring.

Overall, it's a tough and annoying MU. It's a battle of attrition. If mega man can patiently keep
Luigi out and forces Luigi to over commit he wins. But if Luigi can pressure mega man in the neutral he wins. They are polar opposites, one's weakness is the others strength and vice-versa. It's not like brawl falco where you had the laser and illusion camp game, and all the crazy jab stuff to deal with. Below I posted a stream where I played my friend Burst each other in two sets. It was a charity tournament, but 2nd place got a Greninja amiibo so we definitely were trying.

http://www.twitch.tv/havenshine/b/664299844
Winner's Semis: 1:41:00 vs Burst
Loser's Finals: 2:35:00 vs Burst
I play against a man known as red tux TK, and he places in tournament consistently from what I've seen. Mega Man has several good tools against luigi, and the fact that he can safely jump out of his jab away from you at any time is a point off in its own way. It may just seem like annoyance, but he's racking up damage. Also, he can use his down b in the air, getting rid of several options you have. Its also insanely hard to punish Mega Man's patterns.
Mega Man can keep luigi out so easily its honestly not worth playing luigi in the first place if you have a decent secondary.

Also, I played Red Tux in 4 different sets, one being a best of five, so I probably know what I'm talking about.

ToastyDM

Smash Rookie
Haven't seen much discussion (lurker here) of :4jigglypuff: on here, thoughts guys? I think honestly it can can be 50/50

TriTails

Smash Lord
Haven't seen much discussion (lurker here) of :4jigglypuff: on here, thoughts guys? I think honestly it can can be 50/50
She has great aerials and 2nd best airspeed, along with five midair jump. Her aerials hits pretty hard and she gimps Luigi really easy. But aside from that, as long as you can keep up with her floatings (Eg. Not jumping around and try to challenge her aerials. Seriously, not worth it), and stay on the ground you'll usually do pretty fine. U-smash head invincibility is great in this fight, and she dies ridiculously early to HooHahNado or N-air (Forget B-air. Cyclone traps her like a what).

Her ground game is lackuster, but not neccesarily bad. DA and jab are annoying to deal with, and all her throws deals 10% or more and puts you in the air. As for specials, Rollout is obvious enough, Sing is something you'll never get caught in (Especially since it only put opponents to sleep on the ground. Once she uses it though WAIT TILL IT ENDS), Pound... 2 Pounds break your shield, Rest is self-explanatory. Overall, it seems like an annoying MU but not unfavorable IMO.

Last edited:

ToastyDM

Smash Rookie
She has great aerials and 2nd best airspeed, along with five midair jump. Her aerials hits pretty hard and she gimps Luigi really easy. But aside from that, as long as you can keep up with her floatings (Eg. Not jumping around and try to challenge her aerials. Seriously, not worth it), and stay on the ground you'll usually do pretty fine. U-smash head invincibility is great in this fight, and she dies ridiculously early to HooHahNado or N-air (Forget B-air. Cyclone traps her like a what).

Her ground game is lackuster, but not neccesarily bad. DA and jab are annoying to deal with, and all her throws deals 10% or more and puts you in the air. As for specials, Rollout is obvious enough, Sing is something you'll never get caught in (Especially since it only put opponents to sleep on the ground. Once she uses it though WAIT TILL IT ENDS), Pound... 2 Pounds break your shield, Rest is self-explanatory. Overall, it seems like an annoying MU but not unfavorable IMO.
Looking over some old local stuff, between me and a friend who mains Puff, but other than back throw being back throw, Nado always killed stupid early if he missed or messed up the timing from a grab, if not nado then Uair but yeah, I can get behind doing this, moreso I think Luigi needs to play a punish game when you get down to it, at least in my opinion

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Hey guys, I'm here to ask you guys a few questions that have been on my mind for some time concerning cyclone:

1 - Is Luigi's head vulnerable during it? As in, would a move like Greninja's D-Air be able to hit him out of it?

2 - I know it varies depending on character, but what exactly are the best traits to have in order to be able to escape the dreaded D-Throw -> Cyclone combo? Even then, it's still inescapable depending on how Luigi mashes, right?

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I'm here to ask you guys a few questions that have been on my mind for some time concerning cyclone:

1 - Is Luigi's head vulnerable during it? As in, would a move like Greninja's D-Air be able to hit him out of it?

2 - I know it varies depending on character, but what exactly are the best traits to have in order to be able to escape the dreaded D-Throw -> Cyclone combo? Even then, it's still inescapable depending on how Luigi mashes, right?
1 - Yes.

2 - Be a fast faller like Sheik, Fox, Greninja, Falcon. Luigi can still cyclone them but it's harder to get those hitboxes to link properly. Luigi can mash less to not go as high in order to keep them in the cyclone if the player didn't land the right hitboxes, though.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Seems like most of you don't know where to put Mii Brawler against Weege. Well, I'll tell you one thing, Luigi poops on Mii Brawler. Hard.

Both characters heavily rely on getting grabs to win so they have to play each others game. Grabs will happen a lot in this match. Luigi simply has the upper hand due to the fact that he has better range on his grabs and his jabs, as well as pretty much all of his attacks. He forces Mii Brawler to approach due to having fire balls and he can also gimp Brawler's recovery with a tornado semi-spike. Brawler also doesn't have an edgegaurding game so you don't have to worry about not recovering, because you will.

Then it all comes down to not getting grabbed at the ledge at 50%. Just understand that you have to hold towards the stage during his d-throw AND his helicopter kick. And if you can move, n-air or jump. DON'T AIR DODGE. Better yet, don't get grabbed at the ledge, just roll behind him, even if he reads it he's not going to kill you, all he's going to do is give you too much damage to do his throw combo anymore. Once he can't get you with that, the matchup is free. GG

TriTails

Smash Lord
So... you're saying that the Brawler got out-brawl'd? :p

But anyway. Thanks for the insights! The Miis are a toughie to look for due to their low uses in tourneys (or am I oblivious of something? Have mercy on me), and it's great to have someone who are experienced on the character!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To all Luigis out there, the Rosalina sub-forum has a match-up discussion thread all set up to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Luigi. Got anything to share for the Rosalina vs. Luigi match-up? Then head to the following thread link...

http://smashboards.com/threads/405497/

In terms of the rules, be sure to go to the directory thread.

http://smashboards.com/threads/404194/

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
I play against a man known as red tux TK, and he places in tournament consistently from what I've seen. Mega Man has several good tools against luigi, and the fact that he can safely jump out of his jab away from you at any time is a point off in its own way. It may just seem like annoyance, but he's racking up damage. Also, he can use his down b in the air, getting rid of several options you have. Its also insanely hard to punish Mega Man's patterns.
Mega Man can keep luigi out so easily its honestly not worth playing luigi in the first place if you have a decent secondary.

Also, I played Red Tux in 4 different sets, one being a best of five, so I probably know what I'm talking about.
I have played Burst about same number times, but from what you've said Red Tux is probably the more consistent player. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a bad MU, I was just trying to show some optimism about the MU, that we at least have a few good tools against Mega Man. One of my friend actually thinks the MU the is in Luigi's favor (which I disagree with), though this person is arguably top 3 in my region so I try value his opinion.

Top Bottom