• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Mains Guide to #1

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Mk isn't the only character that can shut down Luigi.

Snake does not shut down Luigi at all, that match up is near even with the slight advantage going to snake because of his ability to wall Luigi out with his grenades.

Mk and Marth with proper spacing are really the only 2 that shut down Luigi, and because of mk's popularity is why you won't see many Luigi's around.

Be@st

Smash Cadet
Mk isn't the only character that can shut down Luigi.

Snake does not shut down Luigi at all, that match up is near even with the slight advantage going to snake because of his ability to wall Luigi out with his grenades.

Mk and Marth with proper spacing are really the only 2 that shut down Luigi, and because of mk's popularity is why you won't see many Luigi's around.
I agree with that. IMO Luigi beats snake. Luigi has problems with mk and marth because of their swords.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Yea you all are right I forgot that with Snake's akward mobility, he's pretty on par with Luigi actually. Marth is much better because of his range and mobility.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Well Beast, the ONLY reason snake beats Luigi is because of his damage output and ability to wall Luigi with grenades.

Playing campy snakes is pretty dificult actually. Snakes roll is enormously long and snake simply holding a greenade then rolling backwards limits luigi's approaches alone.

Be@st

Smash Cadet
Well Beast, the ONLY reason snake beats Luigi is because of his damage output and ability to wall Luigi with grenades.

Playing campy snakes is pretty dificult actually. Snakes roll is enormously long and snake simply holding a greenade then rolling backwards limits luigi's approaches alone.
Yeah but if you get close enough to snake and make him uncomfortable he will pull a nade and he will either shield or roll. He does not have the many options once outside of his tilt range. The snake match up is easy for Luigi as long as you stay out of his tilt range.
Also we are way faster than snake. Our jab beats out any of his attacks in frame speed.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
the only time snake usually feels uncomfortable is when he doesn't have stage control and is cornered to the edge

and when snake's has a nade in his hand, he has a alot of options (alot more than just shield roll etc)

i believe snake's jab (is seriously alot more broken than ftilt or utilt imo) comes out frame 2 or 3, can't remember but has a ****load of priority and think it clanks with ours too (if hes holding A button his jab can clank with our tornado loll)

but besides that i think it's near even or slight adv for snake, luigi does work once he gets him in the air

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
you can't really do anything vs. marth because b-air, f-air, jab and f-tilt completely shut down luigi's air game, and because luigi's aerial mobility is terrible it's pretty easy to toss one of those moves out and stop him

i've never played a good MK so i dont know what he really does to destroy luigi :(

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Yeah but if you get close enough to snake and make him uncomfortable he will pull a nade and he will either shield or roll. He does not have the many options once outside of his tilt range. The snake match up is easy for Luigi as long as you stay out of his tilt range.
Also we are way faster than snake. Our jab beats out any of his attacks in frame speed.
Thats Luigi vs anybody, if Luigi could approach the entire cast he would be top 10 character in the game, maybe even around where ics and olimar are on the new tier list.

Because Luigi has such difficulty getting near his opponents, he gets zoned out by camping and powerful ground based characters.

The ideal place to Luigi to be vs snake is in the jab zone range, which snake has the ability to keep Luigi out of due to his massive hitboxes and camping game.

I used to think like you that luigi beat snake because of juggling snake in the air and his limited options in the air,(hell I don't even think snake is the second best in the game by a long shot and I am still surpried to see him there) and since wecan kill snake early.

After playing abunch of top snakes in the last year such as ally, razer and fatal; snake's can wall out luigi with his massive hitboxes and damage output. Neither character can make mistakes, it's just snake has more room for error.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
and i play snake as one of my secondaries for my peach and i'd like to say that i know for sure if luigi gets close to me i won't get uncomfortable and shield/roll/nade

i cooooould do that but snake's jab is ****ing gaaay haha. his jab is about has good as luigi's just w/ a bigger hitbox, more priority, and equal speed. not only that but snake could also grab or tilt. for the most part the best thing for snake to do is fight back imo. if he fights back he can reset it back to a neutral situation and then just camp some more.

Be@st

Smash Cadet
Ok. I just need to play a really well known snake with the strategy I provided and I can just show you guys. The only reason I don't have the videos up is because our pinnacle studio trial version expired so we had to download another one. On top of that Krystedez left with his laptop and 4bidden went to a tourney in Kentucky taking the wii with him. They will be up tomorrow 4 sure. Sorry guys for the wait but you can't rush greatness.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Aw, Biglou don't I get a mention as a semi good Snake? :(

On a more serious note, Snake has 89789749821 options if a grenade is next to him. His options are really only limited if he is holding it.

Luigi will have a hard time getting close to Snake since all he has to do for the most part is lay a nade down and pivot grab. Even if Luigi manages to get close, Snake's jab is pretty much on par with Luigi in terms of damage potential.

I don't see many Snakes do it, but nikita imo wrecks Luigi's recovery if used right. >.>

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Course your a **** snake =p, I was just mentional the more well known national level players.

WHen you travel with me and everyone sees your **** then it will be official =D

makoforce

Smash Ace
Thats Luigi vs anybody, if Luigi could approach the entire cast he would be top 10 character in the game, maybe even around where ics and olimar are on the new tier list.

Because Luigi has such difficulty getting near his opponents, he gets zoned out by camping and powerful ground based characters.

The ideal place to Luigi to be vs snake is in the jab zone range, which snake has the ability to keep Luigi out of due to his massive hitboxes and camping game.

I used to think like you that luigi beat snake because of juggling snake in the air and his limited options in the air,(hell I don't even think snake is the second best in the game by a long shot and I am still surpried to see him there) and since wecan kill snake early.

After playing abunch of top snakes in the last year such as ally, razer and fatal; snake's can wall out luigi with his massive hitboxes and damage output. Neither character can make mistakes, it's just snake has more room for error.
this^^^^^^

yoshq

Smash Master
beast basically what i see in this op is do mixups, and try to misfire. i'm gonna think about this misfiring thing, only because it's so powerful. but also i wouldn't say you're one of the best luigis, unless you've beat krys or renegade.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I have 90% accuracy with the side B, I learned how to use it and not fail x)

When it misfires... That's the kiss cool effect =D

Be@st

Smash Cadet
beast basically what i see in this op is do mixups, and try to misfire. i'm gonna think about this misfiring thing, only because it's so powerful. but also i wouldn't say you're one of the best luigis, unless you've beat krys or renegade.
Im in the process of uploading a recent saved set of 7 against Krystedez. Renegade got 2 stocked 2x by my Luigi the last time we played. You can ask him it was right before he quit snake. The reason these videos are still not up completely is because our internet shut off in my apartment and we are just waiting on it to get fixed.

I have 90% accuracy with the side B, I learned how to use it and not fail x)

When it misfires... That's the kiss cool effect =D
Thats great you should puts some vids up and show all the visual learners out there how to use it.

TreK

Is "that guy"
hmm there is already a vid where I land one.
I didn't say I used it often, though, the true opportunities are rare.
But I never miss those opportunities.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXaAijDIoa8 1:55
-> forcing him to DJ, FF or AD with a fireball, and reacting. That's basic Luigi stuff right there.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
now let's say you either A) completely missed and misfire'd off the stage or B) landed it but didn't get misfire and only got weak green missile. C) completely missed but with weak green missile

the rewards and risks are

MEH.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Beast is sort of onto something with this misfire thing. But not really. I took 2 of squall's stocks at <70% with random misfires in teams to win a game. LOL.

Be@st

Smash Cadet
hmm there is already a vid where I land one.
I didn't say I used it often, though, the true opportunities are rare.
But I never miss those opportunities.

I saw the video it was nice. But like as you said you use it during true opportunites. Its a great move not something to spam by a long shot.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
I saw the video it was nice. But like as you said you use it during true opportunites. Its a great move not something to spam by a long shot.
Yeah, i think the missfire is good and all. But finding that opportunity to use it, and have it hit/not get punished for it is kinda rare. But when it does present itself, man go for it.

If you get a non-missfire i don't think its that bid of a deal, if they get hit with it, then its rather hard to punish, despite the fact that Luigi has some decent lag after-wards.

Be@st

Smash Cadet
Yeah, i think the missfire is good and all. But finding that opportunity to use it, and have it hit/not get punished for it is kinda rare. But when it does present itself, man go for it.

If you get a non-missfire i don't think its that bid of a deal, if they get hit with it, then its rather hard to punish, despite the fact that Luigi has some decent lag after-wards.
your right. Most of the time you cant punish a move from the other oppenenet when it hits you. Thats goes for almost any move.

:grrr:TO EVERYBODY I HAVE VIDEOS UP FROM A SET WITH ME AND KRYSTEDEZ GO CHECK THEM OUT IF YOU ARE TRYING TO SEE WHERE MY LUIGI IS AT. THE VIDEOS ARE ON THE FIRST PAGE AT THE TOP :pimp:

TreK

Is "that guy"
now let's say you either A) completely missed and misfire'd off the stage or B) landed it but didn't get misfire and only got weak green missile. C) completely missed but with weak green missile

the rewards and risks are

MEH.
A) nothing, because then it'd mean he grabbed the ledge and lagged even more than me
B) nothing, because it would have pushed him to the ledge and he'd lag more than me. Actually, Luigi's good at ledgeguarding MK, because he can only use specials which are all out-spacable.
C)same as A. Even faster to reset.

I have to say you're right about something, it may have looked a bit gutsy/surreal here.
I had been playing with Neath for one day straight, and I knew he'd DJ-fair.
Against any other MK, I just bait a reaction, and punish it, not necessarily with a side B (jab, fireball, shield, walk away, SH fair, etc... can punish most of what MK can do here)
It's just that there were, in that particular situation, absolutely no risks for me if I used a side B.

Be@st

Smash Cadet
A) nothing, because then it'd mean he grabbed the ledge and lagged even more than me
B) nothing, because it would have pushed him to the ledge and he'd lag more than me. Actually, Luigi's good at ledgeguarding MK, because he can only use specials which are all out-spacable.
C)same as A. Even faster to reset.

I have to say you're right about something, it may have looked a bit gutsy/surreal here.
I had been playing with Neath for one day straight, and I knew he'd DJ-fair.
Against any other MK, I just bait a reaction, and punish it, not necessarily with a side B (jab, fireball, shield, walk away, SH fair, etc... can punish most of what MK can do here)
It's just that there were, in that particular situation, absolutely no risks for me if I used a side B.
:chuckle:NICE :chuckle:

Teneban

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
But sideb requires a relatively hard read to land, and is more punishable than other moves on whiff. Considering that Luigi has one of the better boxing games of the cast, wouldn't it usually be more profitable to punish with more substantial moves/strings than a weak missile (beecause this is what you'll usually get).

To me, the only time going for the missile would be more logical is if you're considerably behind in a match, and you need the luck of landing a missfire to try level things up.

By the way, the best missfire KOs are the ones where you didn't even mean to do a missle (which I've done before), because it's essentially a double msisfire.

Be@st

Smash Cadet
But sideb requires a relatively hard read to land, and is more punishable than other moves on whiff. Considering that Luigi has one of the better boxing games of the cast, wouldn't it usually be more profitable to punish with more substantial moves/strings than a weak missile (beecause this is what you'll usually get).

To me, the only time going for the missile would be more logical is if you're considerably behind in a match, and you need the luck of landing a missfire to try level things up.

By the way, the best missfire KOs are the ones where you didn't even mean to do a missle (which I've done before), because it's essentially a double msisfire.
Dre I understand that luigi misfire is not a given and it could be weak most of the time. All I am saying is that Luigi's metagame needs help right now if we want to still stay competitive with him as everybody else's characters are gradually getting better. Agaisnt certain charcters like mk the risk of side b when they are death percentage never outweigh the rewards of killing him. Side b should not be use d as jab or f-air but more as an up b. Its luigis horizontal up b basically.

TreK

Is "that guy"
it's not really luck, when it's 70% chances of success and 30% chances of brutal-er success.

BigLøu

Smash Lord

wtf seriously lol. Guys misfire is a 1/8 chance. Like this is actually a 1/8th chance each and every time, the probability of it does not get any better.

If you REALLY want to help with Luigi's meta game, figure out new ways to incorporate jab, edge guarding, combos.

THESE things are what aids meta games. Don't base anything off luck, Luigi's recovery frames off a side b are astronomically high.

I'm honestly not trying to down you beast, I enjoy reading ways to implement Luigi's game play into brawl. But only consistent results will aid his metagme, not hoping :/

Be@st

Smash Cadet

wtf seriously lol. Guys misfire is a 1/8 chance. Like this is actually a 1/8th chance each and every time, the probability of it does not get any better.

If you REALLY want to help with Luigi's meta game, figure out new ways to incorporate jab, edge guarding, combos.

THESE things are what aids meta games. Don't base anything off luck, Luigi's recovery frames off a side b are astronomically high.

I'm honestly not trying to down you beast, I enjoy reading ways to implement Luigi's game play into brawl. But only consistent results will aid his metagme, not hoping :/
LOU its okay man your a visual learner. You will just have to see it implemented in a video. I got you bro (no homo).

makoforce

Smash Ace

lol you guys didnt know it was a 1/8 chance:chuckle:

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
i think 1/8th chance is like 33%??? ( kill me this is why l failed math class LOOL)

too many stuff to take account for ,when your actually going for misfire as a attack option,

also the vids, l thought they were supposed to show you, you using misfire the way u explained it? no?

edit: nvm i THINK its about 12.5% WTF LOL

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
. Side b should not be use d as jab or f-air but more as an up b. Its luigis horizontal up b basically.
I know I'm being naggy now, but if you were to use it like upb, you would use it once per stock, and probably not get the msisfire.

Missfire is Luigi's earliest KO move correct? But I'm pretty sure it only KOs something like 20% earlier than upb, and I know up angled fsmash KOs around 80%. (I gett he feeling I'm wrong on some of this stuff so correct me if I am).

Again, missfire requires a pretty hard read to land, and to me it just doesn't seem worth it, when Luigi has other moves than can KO early. It just seems to me to be more profitable to just use that read to combo them and get them to upb or up angled fmsash KO percent.

In saying that, I do use sideb alot, mostly in the air to punish misstimed aerials from a distance, or on the ground to punish misstimed dodges or landings (although none of these are probably good tactics). I guess it's pretty silly that I'm skeptical of your support of sideb, yet I myself use it far more than I should.

Be@st

Smash Cadet
yo nikkah stfu i know son

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD5I7yHENOg&playnext=1&videos=xopFouVV8Bo&feature=mfu_in_order

perfect example why it's very risky to use green missile as a attack option (0:50)
LOL he would have missed it even if he misfired dumb time to use it imo. Also i was waiting on the tourney this week to use it but im not going anymore no ride.

I know I'm being naggy now, but if you were to use it like upb, you would use it once per stock, and probably not get the msisfire.

Missfire is Luigi's earliest KO move correct? But I'm pretty sure it only KOs something like 20% earlier than upb, and I know up angled fsmash KOs around 80%. (I gett he feeling I'm wrong on some of this stuff so correct me if I am).

Again, missfire requires a pretty hard read to land, and to me it just doesn't seem worth it, when Luigi has other moves than can KO early. It just seems to me to be more profitable to just use that read to combo them and get them to upb or up angled fmsash KO percent.

In saying that, I do use sideb alot, mostly in the air to punish misstimed aerials from a distance, or on the ground to punish misstimed dodges or landings (although none of these are probably good tactics). I guess it's pretty silly that I'm skeptical of your support of sideb, yet I myself use it far more than I should.
Understandable.

there's always a better option for punishing than side b <_>
Your right.

Top Bottom