• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi is now superior?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
just to answer the question... there are different circumstances but when bento said OP... in that phrase OP stands for over powered. and for the record luigi's air priority (especialy the n-air) is pretty broken in melee and in brawl.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
First post, glad to start posting here instead of just lurking...lol

I've always played with luigi and I think that he was designed as a fairly balanced character in melee. When people began to wavedash a lot, luigi became an aboce-average character. In brawl, they realized there would be no more wavedashing, so they improved luigi. I found him very good in melee even without wavedashing, so in brawl he should be even MORE superior....eh?

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
I think Luigi is pretty good, but I'm sticking with my main man Mario.

Toshiba

Smash Apprentice
Sorry fiction but luigi was terrible in melee without wavedashing, and even with it remained quite low on the tiers. Dont get me wrong, i love luigi, but he was certainly not above average in melee, in fact, he was a bit below average. He is however quite good in brawl.

fazares

Smash Apprentice
luigi is in some ways, incomparable to Mario

While Mario probably does have a more powerful ground game in brawl, brawl is much more of a aerial game then melee was, which tips the scale in Luigi's favor.
mario has a strong air game as well...his b-air,f-air,n-air(first frames)and u-air are viable killing moves at high percents and seeing luigi nerfed d-air and f-air(knockback wise) they look more even in this field...though luigis recovery....

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Luigi in ssbb is much improved, then what he was like in ssbm. He doesn't slide as much, and his running A attack is now useful and doesn't leave you open for attack (in a 1 vs 1). Hes much more responsive and not as chaotic. Its been a very short time to judge his ranking and where he stands with mario (above or below), but over all much beter.

SsjDave3

Smash Rookie
well...my main character was Luigi in Melee. I developed a lot of tactics for him involving the physics of the game. Now I can't really play with him all that well in Brawl...maybe b/c the whole engine is different...I think I just have to get used to his attacks and how different it is from Melee.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Yeah he's definitely improved. I just got out of my "OMG NEW CHARACTERS!!111!!!" stage and can focus on playing as just one. His bair is now a much better move then his fair, which means you should practice the reverse arial rush. His nair seems a little easier to sweetspot. His Final Smash rocks in 1v 1's which makes his Up B basically a 1-hit-KO and for some characters so is his down taunt. His recovery is so good now that you should never die if you have control over his fall. B is better, Up B gets some horizantal distance, side B can be sweetspotted, and his down B is easy to recover with. He rocks. I love him.

veritron

Smash Cadet
Yeah he's definitely improved. I just got out of my "OMG NEW CHARACTERS!!111!!!" stage and can focus on playing as just one. His bair is now a much better move then his fair, which means you should practice the reverse arial rush. His nair seems a little easier to sweetspot. His Final Smash rocks in 1v 1's which makes his Up B basically a 1-hit-KO and for some characters so is his down taunt. His recovery is so good now that you should never die if you have control over his fall. B is better, Up B gets some horizantal distance, side B can be sweetspotted, and his down B is easy to recover with. He rocks. I love him.
Luigi's nair kicks *** now - the top smash wall's lower in Brawl so you can pick up ko's with it at relatively low percents. You can pretty much go down the line on his list of moves and notice improvements - his lame dash attack is actually useful now in that it knocks people away, his f-smash has more range and comes out quicker than it did in melee, the tornado rises like twice as far as it did with half the effort, the up-b actually moves horizontally, his b-throw is lethal, even the fireball is less useless etc.

Da Illlest

Smash Cadet
I really thought they wuz gonna slip on him, but Luigi gotten better. His dash attack knocks em away. His tornado is better for recovery, however i dont see use for it at all in doing damage , hes not sliding across the ground as fast with it no more, he just rises but i guess i just have to master it. And wat i personally really really like now is his fireballs which comes out much faster and his attacks have alot more range now. Dont c him bein top tier again but i think he can make noise in a tournament.

veritron

Smash Cadet
I really thought they wuz gonna slip on him, but Luigi gotten better. His dash attack knocks em away. His tornado is better for recovery, however i dont see use for it at all in doing damage , hes not sliding across the ground as fast with it no more, he just rises but i guess i just have to master it. And wat i personally really really like now is his fireballs which comes out much faster and his attacks have alot more range now. Dont c him bein top tier again but i think he can make noise in a tournament.
the tornado is absolutely ridiculous still - if you mash the button it doesn't work right but if you just do down b ONCE it doesn't rise at all and works like it did in melee uncharged. it's great for wreaking olimar player's ****.

Folt

Smash Ace
It seems to me that his cyclone is more like Mario Tornado when it was a special move.

Scarface

Smash Apprentice
Hey, how do you NOT land on yer head after landing that firepunch?

Even when I connect he falls on his head.

>_>

Neo M.J

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if anyone noticed this, but if you keep tapping B during Luigi tornado, he sucks players in like Mario's old tornado. Kinda useful for racking points.

Edit : Wait, scratch what I just posted, turns out you just have to stand in place to do that:lick:!

Adel

Smash Rookie
Dude! Acid trip Luigi effin rox! A light balanced character with silly unpredictable moves is the best. His tornado is the best for sweeps, dude! And his new orange threads are killer!

FmAiGkGeO

Smash Cadet
Messed around with Luigi in melee, and ended up really liking him. Not a fan of the brawl luigi, but maybe he's a character that grows on you.

Top Bottom