• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina: Separate character or costume? (Confirmed separate character)

Costume or character?

• Costume

Votes: 81 31.4%
  • Character

Votes: 177 68.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HVDooD

Smash Cadet
Clone is the right answer.... Hype Killer if you ask me, looks like the 64 blue fox is staying.

VictoriaYr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2363-6451-1789
Has anyone considered the possibility that she's a character and a costume at the same time? The only reason I voted costume was because they were treated her like a veteran and her move set seemed to be the same as Marth's...
Also considering that unlike other "alt costumes" Lucina is a different person, with her own story.
People say that if she were a costume, she'd be on Marth's page... but I do not think that is necessarily true. I do not really mind either way what she is, because I am glad she is in the game. But perhaps Lucina's existence here breaks what we believe the mold to be.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
shes definitly a character.
its just pointless to make an entire trailer just for a costume.

Fares612

Smash Apprentice
Fairly certain the reason she isn't getting a full banner on the web/desktop layout of the site is because her and Robin share the same poster. There would be no point, really.

Looks like a big clone though. I don't mind really.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
She's a character. If she's not, then Falco, Ganondorf and the like shouldn't be characters either. They're all semi-clones.
That's the thing though, "SEMI-clones". They have different properties and stats that make them stand out a bit more. For all we know, Lucina and Marth are similar enough to work

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
That's the thing though, "SEMI-clones". They have different properties and stats that make them stand out a bit more. For all we know, Lucina and Marth are similar enough to work
We've only seen like 3 of her moves, and she already appears to be faster than marth.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
She has a different jump animation. Why is this a discussion?
Because changing one animation for a costume isn't unheard of?

Yeah, except Marth's a guy and Lucina's a girl. And they both have different character and personality. Not to moment, it's like dimensionsword64 said: "Costumes don't get official pages." And you know it.
Costumes don't get profiles- Not until today, anyway. Like I said, how many costumes are completely different characters?

shes definitly a character.
its just pointless to make an entire trailer just for a costume.
The trailer was for Robin, Lucina was just an extra. Yaknow, like C. Falcon.

We've only seen like 3 of her moves, and she already appears to be faster than marth.
"Appears." The trailer could be sped up, the game could already be faster then an outdated demo, etceteras.

Last edited:

Azule07

Smash Cadet
Lucina has the air-game that Marth wishes for. Near zero landing lag and faster attacks. That's a different property. We haven't even seen most her moves, too.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
With the number of characters we have right now though, in order for Lucina's banner to be large on the desktop version, she would need to be on a new row, either below or above Robin, and there would be just white spots next to them as there are no veterans to fill them in with.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Yeah, except Marth's a guy and Lucina's a girl. And they both have different character and personality. Not to moment, it's like dimensionsword64 said: "Costumes don't get official pages." And you know it.
Male Wii Fit Trainer says hi by the way. And yes that's true, alternate costumes don't get pages. does Jacket Mac have a page? No, no it doesn't but that's probably because Lucina is a different character and before you bring up the Male Wii Fit Trainer and female Villager, the Villagers have no personality to work with and neither do the Wii Fit Trainers meanwhile Marth and Lucina are different enough to be two different characters, personality wise, Lucina is also a character with a different name, a different voice and probably her own announcer call but despite all this. Dude just look at her, that character design is legit female Marth, and from what we see in the video she has the same move set as Marth, if you can find a difference then good, but I'm not seeing a speed or power increase.

The point is, if she IS an alt for Marth it makes sense for her to get her own page because the devs have no choice but to treat her like every other character, it's not the Villager who can't even speak so it doesn't even matter or the Male Wii Fit Trainer that serves the same purpose as the female Wii Fit Trainer, not to mention the Wii Fit Trainers and Villagers don't even have unique names. If Lucina is a costume, she has the different name, the voice clips, the personality, the announcer calls and probably a couple different animations and hit boxes, that sounds like a good reason to treat her like the other fighters and give her a page but we'll see.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
Lucina has the air-game that Marth wishes for. Near zero landing lag and faster attacks. That's a different property. We haven't even seen most her moves, too.
Fair enough, but I'm not going to judge Marth vs Lucina stats too much right now. I don't think we've seen much of marth since the best buy demo, so who knows how much he's changed, balance-wise. The game is still in development, many things can change along the way. Sadly, what we HAVE seen of Lucina shows off marth's skills.

At the end of the day, I guess it doesn't really matter. She's in the game regardless XD

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Costumes don't get profiles- Not until today, anyway. Like I said, how many costumes are completely different characters?
Dude, if Lucina is a "costume" for Marth, the trailer would of said so. It introduced her as a newcomer. And it wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to put a lot of effort in that trailer, for a costume. Did the Male WFT needed a trailer? Did the female Villager needed a trailer? No, I don't think so. Just pics.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Dude, if Lucina is a "costume" for Marth, the trailer would of said so. It introduced her as a newcomer. And it wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to put a lot of effort in that trailer, for a costume. Did the Male WFT needed a trailer? Did the female Villager needed a trailer? No, I don't think so. Just pics.
Just like how the direct completely determined Ridley's fate. ...No, it didn't. Do you really think would come out and say "Warning! New costume approaching!"? And is male WFT a completely different person? Was the female Villager a different person? No, I don't think so. Dark Pit appeared in a trailer, even though he's either a costume or not even playable.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Just like how the direct completely determined Ridley's fate. ...No, it didn't. Do you really think would come out and say "Warning! New costume approaching!"? And is male WFT a completely different person? Was the female Villager a different person? No, I don't think so. Dark Pit appeared in a trailer, even though he's either a costume or not even playable.
Oh my. Well, they wouldn't call her a 'newcomer' if she was just a costume. She's a clone character. He would've stated that she was a costume in the pic of the day if she was one or something like that so that he didn't get fans hopes up.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If she was a costume she wouldn't have been in the trailer and listed as a newcomer along side Robin. Dark Pit was just a tease and NOT LISTED as a newcomer. Lucina was. She has the newcomer banner on the mobile version of the site also. This isn't a Ridley situation.

Actually, the Male Trainer could be considered a separate character because he's not an avatar like the Villager. So yes. He can be considered a different character.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
How is this argument even still going on?

She IS a separate character, and it is blatantly obvious. I understand that there was a little confusion there in the beginning, The trailer was certainly quite the mind-blower. However, the dust has long since settled, and not only does have her own profile on the site, but she is also labeled as a newcomer, both on the regular and mobile site.

There is no argument here. I guess some people are just really bored or something? lol

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
... :facepalm: *sigh* Dude, your basically telling me EXACTY what you're thinking. You would think: "Warning! New costume approaching!?" Since you're saying that Lucina's a costume for Marth.

Last edited:

jigglover

Smash Lord
For costume:
Has a small box on the site, implying she isn't as much of a newcomer as the rest. (Mobile site has a bigger box, presumably to fill a gap.)
Her reveal splash appears to be sarcastic. (Japanese trailer is also.)
Very little changes from Marth, appears to be even closer to him then any other clone.
Dark Pit, a different character with a different voice, was implied to be a costume.
Mobile site has a bigger box, presumably to fill a gap? It's quite obviously an error with the main site, or a filler for while they're waiting for some proper art to appear to place there. The mobile site has the Fire Emblem symbol there, whilst the other character's symbols are not present. The placeholder of the symbol must be there for something...

It has a question mark... so what? OH GOD WAS THAT QUESTION SARCASTIC? WAS THAT ONE? No, these are legitimate questions asking you if a question mark immediately means sarcasm, especially on the internet. I don't think it does... Japan uses question marks a lot for slightly off-the-wall characters. For example, in Hyrule Warriors, Agitha is dumped with the kind title of "Princess of Insects?". This isn't sarcastic and I'm not expecting Agitha to be a clone of Zelda. It adds to the character. It does the same with Lucina, as the title reads "Lucina wakes her blade?". This could mean any number of things, especially because Chrom features as Robin's Final Smash. Why? Well, if Chrom uses his own blade, it is not "awakened" as it has already been awakened either through Chrom using it or Lucina using it. Or something. Oh, time...

So I assume that these are also not characters: :luigi64::drmario::falcomelee::ganondorfmelee::luigimelee::pichumelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee::ganondorf:

Yes, she is a semi-clone. Oh dear... I mean, it actually fits her character better than Young Link, who is literally the same person as Adult Link.

Wait, when was Dark Pit confirmed to be a costume?

Dark Pit appeared in a trailer, even though he's either a costume or not even playable.
Again... what? Did I miss something?

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
If Lucina were a costume for Marth (similar to our expectations of Dark Pit), would Chrom not have been one for Ike? Plus her final smash looks different from Marth's as far as I can tell. She's the Falco to Marth's Fox, IMO.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I'm going with costume until I'm proven wrong. And by "proven wrong" I mean Sakurai comes out and says so.

There are a couple reasons. First of all, her fighting stance in Awakening was very unique to her. I can't buy that Sora/Namco would drop that in favor of just giving her Marth's. And on a more personal note, I just don't want any more clone characters.

As far as the "she's faster than Marth" argument; well, that could be evidence that she's her own character. OR it could mean we're looking at a different build of the game. Both are plausible, as far as I can see.

And yes, I'm aware she has her own "newcomer" slot on the official website. The flaw with that argument is that we have no principle for this situation. We have never had a costume that turns a character into a completely different character, so there are no past examples to point to and say "this is the norm", because this entire situation is abnormal.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Oh my. Well, they wouldn't call her a 'newcomer' if she was just a costume. She's a clone character. He would've stated that she was a costume in the pic of the day if she was one or something like that so that he didn't get fans hopes up.
Or they could stick her in Robin's trailer to build hype, like Dark Pit.

If she was a costume she wouldn't have been in the trailer and listed as a newcomer along side Robin. Dark Pit was just a tease and NOT LISTED as a newcomer. Lucina was. She has the newcomer banner on the mobile version of the site also. This isn't a Ridley situation.

Actually, the Male Trainer could be considered a separate character because he's not an avatar like the Villager. So yes. He can be considered a different character.
Why not? You're just making an assumption. And male WFT could, but why bother? Who really cares about him? People obviously care about Lucina.

How is this argument even still going on?

She IS a separate character, and it is blatantly obvious. I understand that there was a little confusion there in the beginning, The trailer was certainly quite the mind-blower. However, the dust has long since settled, and not only does have her own profile on the site, but she is also labeled as a newcomer, both on the regular and mobile site.

There is no argument here. I guess some people are just really bored or something? lol
If there isn't an argument, then why are people arguing it? Just look at the pool results.

... :facepalm: *sigh* Dude, your basically telling me EXACTY what your thinking. You would think: "Warning! New costume approaching!?" Since you're saying that Lucina's a costume for Marth.
They didn't say she was a costume right away so people would think she's the newcomer.

Mobile site has a bigger box, presumably to fill a gap? It's quite obviously an error with the main site, or a filler for while they're waiting for some proper art to appear to place there. The mobile site has the Fire Emblem symbol there, whilst the other character's symbols are not present. The placeholder of the symbol must be there for something...

It has a question mark... so what? OH GOD WAS THAT QUESTION SARCASTIC? WAS THAT ONE? No, these are legitimate questions asking you if a question mark immediately means sarcasm, especially on the internet. I don't think it does... Japan uses question marks a lot for slightly off-the-wall characters. For example, in Hyrule Warriors, Agitha is dumped with the kind title of "Princess of Insects?". This isn't sarcastic and I'm not expecting Agitha to be a clone of Zelda. It adds to the character. It does the same with Lucina, as the title reads "Lucina wakes her blade?". This could mean any number of things, especially because Chrom features as Robin's Final Smash. Why? Well, if Chrom uses his own blade, it is not "awakened" as it has already been awakened either through Chrom using it or Lucina using it. Or something. Oh, time...

So I assume that these are also not characters: :luigi64::drmario::falcomelee::ganondorfmelee::luigimelee::pichumelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee::ganondorf:

Yes, she is a semi-clone. Oh dear... I mean, it actually fits her character better than Young Link, who is literally the same person as Adult Link.

Wait, when was Dark Pit confirmed to be a costume?

Again... what? Did I miss something?
There's no way it's an error with how making websites work. There's specific scripting in place for each version of the site, and two versions of her profile panel. And I said Dark Pit is either a costume or less.

If Lucina were a costume for Marth (similar to our expectations of Dark Pit), would Chrom not have been one for Ike? Plus her final smash looks different from Marth's as far as I can tell. She's the Falco to Marth's Fox, IMO.
Chrom's a Final Smash though.

I think the people kicking and screaming that Lucina is an alt are just sour that Fire Emblem got 4 reps.
Or are just reasonably pessimistic about a developer who pulls things like this all the time.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
character because 1. she has her own page of the official site, 2. I don't think any alternate skins will be that intricate pass female versions of certain characters

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Male Wii Fit Trainer says hi by the way. And yes that's true, alternate costumes don't get pages. does Jacket Mac have a page? No, no it doesn't but that's probably because Lucina is a different character and before you bring up the Male Wii Fit Trainer and female Villager, the Villagers have no personality to work with and neither do the Wii Fit Trainers meanwhile Marth and Lucina are different enough to be two different characters, personality wise, Lucina is also a character with a different name, a different voice and probably her own announcer call but despite all this. Dude just look at her, that character design is legit female Marth, and from what we see in the video she has the same move set as Marth, if you can find a difference then good, but I'm not seeing a speed or power increase.
Just because Lucina and Marth share the same moves, doesn't mean she's a costume for Marth. And that's Marth disguising as Lucina. It would feel right to do that at all.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Or they could stick her in Robin's trailer to build hype, like Dark Pit.

Why not? You're just making an assumption. And male WFT could, but why bother? Who really cares about him? People obviously care about Lucina.

If there isn't an argument, then why are people arguing it? Just look at the pool results.

They didn't say she was a costume right away so people would think she's the newcomer.

There's no way it's an error with how making websites work. There's specific scripting in place for each version of the site, and two versions of her profile panel. And I said Dark Pit is either a costume or less.

Chrom's a Final Smash though.

Or are just reasonably pessimistic about a developer who pulls things like this all the time.
The difference between Dark Pit and Lucina appearing in trailers is that Lucina was confirmed to be a playable character. Dark Pit hasn't been mentioned since his little appearance in the trailer.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
There is no argument. It doesn't matter how many people voted that she is a costume, nor would it matter if everybody did. The facts are right in front of us, and facts don't change just because a lot of people don't accept them. Facts are facts.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To be fair, Lucina's dilemma may be similar to Toon Link's. Toon Link is a separate character, and yet his moveset is similar to Link's.

Sendo Roba

Smash Cadet
Can anyone show the statement of Sakurai saying flat out, in factual words, what Lucina is?

...Thought so

So until the man actually makes a statement on something, nobody should bother trying to figure it out. Sakurai has made it clear time and time again through this games development that he loves to mess with the fans. Nothing is set in stone until he sets it definitively. We don't know what showing specific trophies off means, because while some are just "Look at this trophy" the Brittany one clearly said "She is not playable" While others have not Until he makes straightforward statements, we basically have no clue what role Lucina, the Pyrosphere shadow, Wonder Red, or Rayman play. Hell, it could still be argued we don't know Chrom's role is. He could be an Assist Trophy for all we know, and you cannot literally prove otherwise.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but people saying "its obvious" is doesn't mean or prove anything. Its not obvious, because nothing in this game is obvious

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The difference between Dark Pit and Lucina appearing in trailers is that Lucina was confirmed to be a playable character. Dark Pit hasn't been mentioned since his little appearance in the trailer.
Maybe he didn't want Dark Pit stealing the spotlight of the E3 characters? Or he wanted to be mysterious just because. Or it could be a part of a clone-costume reveal thing where Lucina is shown to be a costume.

Just because Lucina and Marth share the same moves, doesn't mean she's a costume for Marth. And that's Marth disguising as Lucina. It would feel right to do that at all.
Now we're going on "feels"? Look how far that takes people in Ridley arguments.

There is no argument. It doesn't matter how many people voted that she is a costume, nor would it matter if everybody did. The facts are right in front of us, and facts don't change just because a lot of people don't accept them. Facts are facts.
What facts? Prove it to me, completely, right here and right now if it's really as proven as you say.

Oh Really? Then why in Lucina's page says "Newcomer" on her portrait? Explain THAT to me.
She a new character. Not a separate character, but new character nonetheless.

If you still think Lucina is an alternate outfit of Marth, you're in denial.

Oh look, LancerStaff.
Hey look, it's the pathetic "ur in da nile" argument. How many times has that worked, exactly?

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I'm not just talking about the moves I'm talking about the properties as well, like let's put it like this, in Brawl one of the many differences between Link and Toon Link is that Link's up special had some knockback to it, anyone who came near it was likely to get sent flying horizontally in one hit, meanwhile Toon Link's deals multiple hits and is more likely to send the opponent vertically and the opposite works in the air. I didn't see any difference like that with Lucina.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hey look, it's the pathetic "ur in da nile" argument. How many times has that worked, exactly?
Actually another user said those words.

Regardless, if you're so confident, seeing as how I'm confident, we should prove a winner by the best way possible...

...a monetary bet on the internet.

Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is=???

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Can anyone show the statement of Sakurai saying flat out, in factual words, what Lucina is?

...Thought so

So until the man actually makes a statement on something, nobody should bother trying to figure it out. Sakurai has made it clear time and time again through this games development that he loves to mess with the fans. Nothing is set in stone until he sets it definitively. We don't know what showing specific trophies off means, because while some are just "Look at this trophy" the Brittany one clearly said "She is not playable" While others have not Until he makes straightforward statements, we basically have no clue what role Lucina, the Pyrosphere shadow, Wonder Red, or Rayman play. Hell, it could still be argued we don't know Chrom's role is. He could be an Assist Trophy for all we know, and you cannot literally prove otherwise.

I'm not trying to be an ***, but people saying "its obvious" is doesn't mean or prove anything. Its not obvious, because nothing in this game is obvious
He likes to mess with fans? Yes.

Does he make things this complicated after a character is confirmed? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom