• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Moveset Analysis/Speculation/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!
Source: http://www.gonintendo.com/s/233268-...-bros-wii-u-3ds-why-chrom-didn-t-make-the-cut

Well, there you go. Straight from Sakurai's mouth, this is the reason why she's a clone. It probably took them less than a day to make those tiny alterations to her moveset.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Source: http://www.gonintendo.com/s/233268-...-bros-wii-u-3ds-why-chrom-didn-t-make-the-cut

Well, there you go. Straight from Sakurai's mouth, this is the reason why she's a clone. It probably took them less than a day to make those tiny alterations to her moveset.
I think he basically looked at it and said "well... maybe I can do something a little different, I'll make her slightly easier to play with by removing the tipper and making her more balanced."

Basically, expect that anything which looks different on Lucina is different on Marth, as well, from the E3 demo. Seems like the only thing unique is the lack of a tipper. (And Sakurai confirms Lucina didn't replace Chrom, Chrom was never once added to the final roster.)

Hong

The Strongest
Size will also matter a bit. Marth is a pretty tall guy.

Hm. Was hoping her thrust attack would at least show up as a normal. We'll see.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ.
I'm interpreting this as characteristics besides those that come with the lack of a tipper, as that bit was covered earlier on in the article. Hopefully there are at least a few other things that set them apart. :)

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
It's easy. One looks like a girl. And the other one looks like a girl.

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
In Marth's defense, he did bulk up by using his King Marth outfit and looks manlier than Melee/Brawl :rolleyes:

Sours

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1907-8138-7678
Someone mentioned her landing lag after a nair was faster than marths. We still haven't seen her side smashes yet, so theres hope. You'd think she would have her stance from awakening as her idle position, but i guess the devs got lazy
If you look at her idle animation in the trailer, her hand hovers over her chest, so the devs are most likely going to fix that and give her the iconic stance that she has pretty much made her own. I wouldn't mind her having marth's moveset as long as she has her stance.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
They still could've like... I dunno, Give her one of two of Marth's Custom moves and changed em a bit

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
They still could've like... I dunno, Give her one of two of Marth's Custom moves and changed em a bit
For all we know she does start with some of Marth's custom moves as a default. I'd expect that clones will at the very least have different custom moves by default.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
This is not good news
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/1...ros-says-he-lacks-any-unique-characteristics/
“Lucina uses the same techniques as Marth, a fighter with whom I’m sure most of you are already familiar. I even went so far as to make their strength, speed, and special attacks almost identical.
However, what sets Lucina apart is the fact that the strength of her attacks is uniform along the blade. Marth’s playstyle emulates the elegant swordplay of a fencer by dealing more damage when he strikes with the tip of his blade, but the damage Lucina deals is evened out. Thus, I think that Lucina will be much easier than Marth for novice players to play with.”

Xafer2468

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xafer2468
This is not good news
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/1...ros-says-he-lacks-any-unique-characteristics/
“Lucina uses the same techniques as Marth, a fighter with whom I’m sure most of you are already familiar. I even went so far as to make their strength, speed, and special attacks almost identical.
However, what sets Lucina apart is the fact that the strength of her attacks is uniform along the blade. Marth’s playstyle emulates the elegant swordplay of a fencer by dealing more damage when he strikes with the tip of his blade, but the damage Lucina deals is evened out. Thus, I think that Lucina will be much easier than Marth for novice players to play with.”
I can safely say i'm dissapointed. She's still my main tho

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
This is not good news
we got us a ROY

Sours

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1907-8138-7678
we got us a ROY
Roy fans should be ecstatic! FE:Awakening fans, like me, get a fantastic character that some of us thought would not happen, and you guys/girls get a marth clone. EVERYONE IS HAPPY! YAY! :D

Last edited:

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
not exactly...
Roy had an increase in power if you hit with the inner part of the blade. For Lucina, it doesn't matter where you hit, so long as it connects....it will do the same damage.
cant you humor me a bit -.-

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
Its not like you could create a unique character in the time it took to create Lucina.
Instead of Lucina, it would probably a few extra collectible trophies, or items or something.
They are nice, but I would take a clone over those any day.
They could have just given her one different attack. One.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!

The wording of Sakurai's statement really leads me to believe alt characters will be a come to fruition, just not in the case of Lucina. That the truth of the matter is that, Lucina is so damn popular right now, that he wanted to give her a space on the roster, and not the development time. Yet other characters will have alt character costumes who do not need to be seen on the CSS, but will add diversity for fun (such as Daisy, like you mentioned).

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Actually if her inclusion made Marth stronger for a little less movement speed, I am all for it. I'll just have tochange up the way I fight with Marth

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
The biggest difference I notice is that Lucina has completely blue leggings/boots whereas Marth has brown boots, so I focus on that.

I got them confused when I first saw the four of them at the end of the trailer :Z

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Also, with Lucina's Mask. You see that, you instantly know it's not Marth, but 'Marth', who is actually Lucina, who was originally a costume for Marth.

Wait, I think I made it even more confusing now.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Lucina wears a tiara, while Marth clearly wears a man-crown.

Big difference.

Last edited:

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
The only true difference is that her sword has no tipper. Basically meaning hitting at the tip of the sword will do the same damage as the base of the sword, but the sword's damage is more balanced out.

I personally think it's a nerf for her. Marth's tipper is awesome
It's actually more complicated than that, sure not hitting Fsmash tippers seems like a clear nerf but if the way Lucina functions means that all of her sword has the tipper effect of Marth's but with less power what does that mean for her down air? Is it a spike the whole way through the sword? If so that makes her a much better edge guarder than Marth while Marth might have better finishers from on stage thanks to the added knock back tipper provides.

Last edited:

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
As much as any of us wanted Chrom, Sakurai is right: he would've been just another swordfighter lacking unique characteristics. Hopefully over the next few months they might add a few new touches to Lucina, like altering her stance to the one she uses in Awakening or changing more hitboxes and attack properties. But whatever happens we'll find some more differences through extensive play.

Last edited:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
At first I was excited for Lucina but as time goes on its only leaving more of a sour taste. They could have easily made her a tipper and kept her a skin, this whole slight difference thing is getting to me much like Tink.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
You should be able to tell pretty easily especially on an HD screen.
But when you're playing on 3DS why would you be holding the screen far away from you?

It's basically fine either way.

crazyhandmasterhand

Smash Cadet
I'm still curious about her other A attacks even after all of this. Her moves are seeming to be very Marth-inspired indeed, but I'm noticing some slight visual differences in some of her specials even then (Neutral and Down B specifically).

October can't come soon enough... >_<

crazyhandmasterhand

Smash Cadet
It was already stated, but yeah pretty much the most major thing that I would want changed about Lucina if they decide to keep her as a clone character is just to change her Fighter and idle stances. That Awakening stance was so cool, it would be a shame to not have it in!

jigglover

Smash Lord
There are minor changes, like different properties in the Dolphin Slash, and most notably Dancing Blade having more hits than Marth's. Her properties are a lot faster and more fluent than Marth's with a better air game, too. For example, her neutral air special has an extra hit!

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
This post here contains a translation of a column by Sakurai:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121384840&postcount=8201

"I even went so far as to make their strength, speed, and special attacks almost identical."

This still doesn't clarify much definitively, but I don't think there'll be many noticeable differences in the rest of their kit.
Again he says SPECIAL attacks are identical here.

Granted, the trailer showed off her having his nair, but I think some of her other attacks will be semi-cloned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom