• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Moveset Analysis/Speculation/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
Unless you're playing a team match with friendly fire, it wouldn't matter if you couldn't tell them apart.

Lucina's longer hair and completely different leggings and boots and thin frame isn't enough for you to notice, then you have to pay more attention.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
We don't know if Marth has been buffed, it seems very likely that she is almost exactly the same. The stabbing motion is what Marth looks like when he shield breaks in the air. And again, Marth may have had all of his moves sped up, we just don't know yet. We do know is that there are a lot of shared animations between the two, such as the idle animation. However this is all speculation...

jigglover

Smash Lord
...Bias much? All I said was that my personal opinion is that she will be a clone, which indeed Toon Link is. Similar to Marth, with altered properties, taunts, and exclusive animations but an identical moveset, ....like Toon Link in Sm4sh. I'm sorry, did I p$@& on your bed, did I kill your cat, did I commit some type of evil crime, did I sleep with your Mom, what did I do to deserve such horrific, dreadful, and abhorrent treatment for just posting an subjective personal opinion that will have no effect in the game on a forum?
Never yet have I seen someone who let their love for a fictional character make them insult and question other posters intelligence. Well, good for you being the first.
This isn't the place for this, however I would just like to point out the fact that I actually haven't played Fire Emblem: Awakening (which once again you would know should you have read the OP) and as such have little to no love for Lucina as a character. I understand "I believe that Lucina will be a clone, because..." but "pretty sure she's a clone mate:4tlink:" isn't doing anything for anyone. WHY do you think she will be a clone? WHY do you disregard the fact that her air game is clearly better. WHY do you not use the correct terms? Toon Link is a semi-clone; Lucina will be too... as has already been proven. As such, it is perfectly OK for a moveset speculation thread to be posted and be discussed, whereas your post appeared to exist solely to kill any discussion. That was the only reason I was so frustrated. Honestly this whole character announcement has been met poorly generally; everyone decided that Lucina would be an alt costume, not a character in her own right! I was frustrated and as such I'm sorry if I was too hostile in that reply. Even so, I would urge you to try and put more explanation in your posts. A simple "[insert popular opinion here with lack of imagination ok bye]" post is really quite infuriating on these forums.

I have to say, I agree with HugoBoss. And if she isn't a clone, she's getting little to no respect from the website itself.

Also, why not show off the stuff that was different instead of showing us all of Marth's moves? She even has the sigh and hand to chest thing that Marth does so much. It's... scary.
The website is going through an error. She has a full banner on the mobile version.

I personally think it's better to get Marth's moves out of the way first; especially because Sakurai will troll most of us (you guys :p) into thinking Lucina will be a straight-up clone of Marth. Then when he reveals incredible attacks which are not shared by Marth we will all be so hype!

Another theory is, of course, that because Marth and Lucina share some attacks at this stage in development Lucina is still merely a reskin of Marth, and Sakurai is getting around to editing a couple/few of her moves even further, showing off the attacks which he might not be planning to change too much like Dancing Blade (which has already been tweaked) and Dolphin Slash. I don't believe in it, but just putting it out there! :x

Sorry all and let's have this thread moving back on track with lovely peaceful discussion about the butterfly (slashes side b pls kthx)!

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Maybe she shares some moves with Marth, but has some differences.

Just no Critical Hit okay?

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
This isn't the place for this, however I would just like to point out the fact that I actually haven't played Fire Emblem: Awakening (which once again you would know should you have read the OP) and as such have little to no love for Lucina as a character. I understand "I believe that Lucina will be a clone, because..." but "pretty sure she's a clone mate:4tlink:" isn't doing anything for anyone. WHY do you think she will be a clone? WHY do you disregard the fact that her air game is clearly better. WHY do you not use the correct terms? Toon Link is a semi-clone; Lucina will be too... as has already been proven. As such, it is perfectly OK for a moveset speculation thread to be posted and be discussed, whereas your post appeared to exist solely to kill any discussion. That was the only reason I was so frustrated. Honestly this whole character announcement has been met poorly generally; everyone decided that Lucina would be an alt costume, not a character in her own right! I was frustrated and as such I'm sorry if I was too hostile in that reply. Even so, I would urge you to try and put more explanation in your posts. A simple "[insert popular opinion here with lack of imagination ok bye]" post is really quite infuriating on these forums.

The website is going through an error. She has a full banner on the mobile version.

I personally think it's better to get Marth's moves out of the way first; especially because Sakurai will troll most of us (you guys :p) into thinking Lucina will be a straight-up clone of Marth. Then when he reveals incredible attacks which are not shared by Marth we will all be so hype!

Another theory is, of course, that because Marth and Lucina share some attacks at this stage in development Lucina is still merely a reskin of Marth, and Sakurai is getting around to editing a couple/few of her moves even further, showing off the attacks which he might not be planning to change too much like Dancing Blade (which has already been tweaked) and Dolphin Slash. I don't believe in it, but just putting it out there! :x

Sorry all and let's have this thread moving back on track with lovely peaceful discussion about the butterfly (slashes side b pls kthx)!
People are saying she is a clone because most of the current evidence suggests so; however, I really want her to be unique or a skin, no in between falco clone business.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Lucina has long hair, Marth does not.

Lucina has a turtle neck shirt, Marth does not.

Lucina and Marth have different swords.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
She definitely does look like a Melee Falco deal, which I'm fine with, I guess. The only thing she's missing is a Landmaster.;)

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I'm positive it won't be a problem.

Although their clothing has similar color themes, they're actually a lot different. Lucina also has longer hair which is easily noticeable. Their swords are also very different from one another.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Her dolphin slash actually looks a bit different, having much more horizontal reach and moving slightly forward compared to Marth's. Lucina also got only a few seconds of screentime to show off her moves, which makes me wonder if her moveset was even finalized by the time that video came out. The fact that this is slightly different while all the other moves look exactly the same as Brawl Marth's, combined with the fact that there was such little emphasis on her playstyle, makes me wonder if that's even her finalized moveset.

The "unknown dashing pose" is really seen twice on Marth: Near the end of his jumping animation and again while he's charging his neutral B in Brawl. Pretty much everything but the dolphin slash is an almost exact copy of something that Marth can do in Brawl, and even the dolphin slash could frankly be one of Marth's custom move options.

So far everything that has been demonstrated about her is a direct clone of Marth. I wish it wasn't true, and I honestly wanted her to be different, but what we see in the video is a direct clone. I'm not saying that it's her final form, and I'm not saying that Sakurai didn't just use Marth's moves and animations as a placeholder when the video was made, but for now all we have to go on is that she's an exact clone of Marth.

Wishful thinking makes me want to think otherwise, but the facts stare me right in the face.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895

Development? The game is in that phase where they're working out kinks and the such. And why would they introduce a character when she isn't even done! Either she's a clone or an alt or something but seriously? Also all of the changes she has could have been put to Marth as well. After all, everything is subject to change. I suppose that includes her "clone" status. It is way too early to even analyze her. Also... how do you not know that it's the mobile version going through an error? And don't say Sakurai is trolling us because he could very well be trolling no one and just hasn't be direct. Also, why not just give her a full blown new moveset? I mean I guess it makes sense that some of her moves are the same... But Dancing Blade? I am sorry but until Sakurai says straight up "She is not part of Marth's slot 'Kuma/Panda' style from Tekken". I just can't buy it. Hell, even the trailer says "Lucina wakes her blade?!".

So yeah, that's just my take on it. To each their own I suppose. Until more is said about Lucina, everything (except that all of her shown moves and that she looks visually amazing) is opinion. Even Robin is an enigma but that's a whole 'nother thread.

FUNNY THING ABOUT LUCINA INVOLVING FIRE EMBLEM: If she isn't a clone, it would make sense that she fights like Marth because she took on his name in Awakening.

Anyways, I just hope you're right. But right now it's looking darker than Nocturne.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
They look fairly different, from the shape of their bodies, to the outfit. Not to mention the different hair.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
How do you tell any two characters apart with similar size and color? The little P# or Initials pointing above their head.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
But unlike Falco, Lucas and Lucina actually do important things in their games.

Falco is mostly known for ditching his teammates in the Star Fox games and being a jerk when you save him.

I don't mind Falco, but don't try to give him a bigger role than he actually has.
Falco really cares about others, specially for Fox. The thing is that he is"too big" to stay under the Fox shadow, unlike Slippy or other Star Fox members. The personality of Falco is not a negative thing, in fact is one of the things that make him unique between the other Nintendo characters.

Actually many Star Fox "secondary characters" like Falco, Wolf and Krystal have more value than Lucina in therms of being a Nintendo Icon.

Lucina is not in Smash only because of being a major role of Awakening. Lucina is in Smash due Fire Emblem Awakening being a successful project, that aparently Sakurai-Nintendo considered worth of no one but two characters in Smash 4.
Lyn has almost the same role importance than Lucina and she is more iconic, not in Smash.

Also Falco has become a regular character of SSB, he builded his own legacy in Smash, Lucina is going to need a time to reach him.

Xafer2468

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xafer2468
Isn't marths dash attack same from brawl? Then that would make lucinas dash lunge her only unique attack so far

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Her dolphin slash actually looks a bit different, having much more horizontal reach and moving slightly forward compared to Marth's. Lucina also got only a few seconds of screentime to show off her moves, which makes me wonder if her moveset was even finalized by the time that video came out. The fact that this is slightly different while all the other moves look exactly the same as Brawl Marth's, combined with the fact that there was such little emphasis on her playstyle, makes me wonder if that's even her finalized moveset.

The "unknown dashing pose" is really seen twice on Marth: Near the end of his jumping animation and again while he's charging his neutral B in Brawl. Pretty much everything but the dolphin slash is an almost exact copy of something that Marth can do in Brawl, and even the dolphin slash could frankly be one of Marth's custom move options.

So far everything that has been demonstrated about her is a direct clone of Marth. I wish it wasn't true, and I honestly wanted her to be different, but what we see in the video is a direct clone. I'm not saying that it's her final form, and I'm not saying that Sakurai didn't just use Marth's moves and animations as a placeholder when the video was made, but for now all we have to go on is that she's an exact clone of Marth.

Wishful thinking makes me want to think otherwise, but the facts stare me right in the face.
Development? The game is in that phase where they're working out kinks and the such. And why would they introduce a character when she isn't even done! Either she's a clone or an alt or something but seriously? Also all of the changes she has could have been put to Marth as well. After all, everything is subject to change. I suppose that includes her "clone" status. It is way too early to even analyze her. Also... how do you not know that it's the mobile version going through an error? And don't say Sakurai is trolling us because he could very well be trolling no one and just hasn't be direct. Also, why not just give her a full blown new moveset? I mean I guess it makes sense that some of her moves are the same... But Dancing Blade? I am sorry but until Sakurai says straight up "She is not part of Marth's slot 'Kuma/Panda' style from Tekken". I just can't buy it. Hell, even the trailer says "Lucina wakes her blade?!".

So yeah, that's just my take on it. To each their own I suppose. Until more is said about Lucina, everything (except that all of her shown moves and that she looks visually amazing) is opinion. Even Robin is an enigma but that's a whole 'nother thread.

FUNNY THING ABOUT LUCINA INVOLVING FIRE EMBLEM: If she isn't a clone, it would make sense that she fights like Marth because she took on his name in Awakening.

Anyways, I just hope you're right. But right now it's looking darker than Nocturne.
it's true. It's actually pretty sad that Lucina seems to be a clone, but it makes chrom's deconfirmation hurt less, he would have likely become a clone too D:

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I'm sure she is a semi-clone. Kinda like Falco.

The rest of her moveset is likely to like Marth's, but slightly altered. Hopefully she will have a few unique moves.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Isn't marths dash attack same from brawl? Then that would make lucinas dash lunge her only unique attack so far
It's not confirmed to be a dash attack, but I also can't find any connections between that particular attack and anything from Marth's moveset. That was honestly one of the reasons I am sure Lucina isn't a semiclone, but I guess I forgot to mention it lol. Thanks for reminding me! :x

Also fair point there, but... Well, fair point @ LeeYawshee LeeYawshee , I guess nothing is confirmed at this stage lol. I can't see too much changng, but it is something to note! It works for Lucina both ways though! :p

Also thanks @ Shiliski Shiliski ! I have been demoted even further to an iPad now, but I will update with your observations in the morning!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Falco really cares about others, specially for Fox. The thing is that he is"too big" to stay under the Fox shadow, unlike Slippy or other Star Fox members. The personality of Falco is not a negative thing, in fact is one of the things that make him unique between the other Nintendo characters.

Actually many Star Fox "secondary characters" like Wolf and Krystal have more value than Lucina in therms of being a Nintendo Icon.

Lucina is not in Smash only because of being a major role of Awakening. Lucina is in Smash due Fire Emblem Awakening being a successful project, that aparently Sakurai-Nintendo considered worth of no one but two characters in Smash 4.
Lyn has almost the same role importance than Lucina and she is more iconic, not in Smash.

Also Falco has become a regular character of SSB, he builded his own legacy in Smash, Lucina is going to need a time to reach him.
Uhhh.......How is leaving your teammates caring about others? Falco only helped his teammates at the end of Star Fox Adventures.

Response to bold: There is no way you can prove that.

Falco's only save and grace is that he has Smash Fans and is popular with Tourney players.

If anybody from the Star Fox team should have been added, it should have been Slippy, since he actually helps the team and is a real team player.

Again, don't try to make Falco more important than he really is.

Oh and I fixed your post.

Edit: The only Star Fox character's that came close than Lucina in hers, are Wolf and Krystal. Falco did no such thing.

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
It's not confirmed to be a dash attack, but I also can't find any connections between that particular attack and anything from Marth's moveset. That was honestly one of the reasons I am sure Lucina isn't a semiclone, but I guess I forgot to mention it lol. Thanks for reminding me! :x

Also fair point there, but... Well, fair point @ LeeYawshee LeeYawshee , I guess nothing is confirmed at this stage lol. I can't see too much changng, but it is something to note! It works for Lucina both ways though! :p

Also thanks @ Shiliski Shiliski ! I have been demoted even further to an iPad now, but I will update with your observations in the morning!
The dash lunge seems to be Marths shield piercer in mid air, but we do t know yet. Hold on to the hope we have!

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895

You know what, despite our disagreements, you keep a positive outlook in this subject. You have gained my respect for that. And who knows, maybe we'll get a pleasant surprise. And even if she a clone, we got her and her sweet model and technically another female character. It's a win-win.

Huzzah for Lucina!

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I
You know what, despite our disagreements, you keep a positive outlook in this subject. You have gained my respect for that. And who knows, maybe we'll get a pleasant surprise. And even if she a clone, we got her and her sweet model and technically another female character. It's a win-win.

Huzzah for Lucina!
I semi-second this! I will be a little disappointed if she is a clone though, considering she is basically taking chrom's place. That said, Lucina is a cool character and if she is unique I will rest my qualms.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I don't know what you think, but none of the pictures on the website of her look like Marth's animations to me.

Forward Smash?

This shows as a fact they have a different animation here

etc..

MattTheGameFreak

Smash Apprentice
Well... It's possible that at 2:12, in the trailer, Lucina is showing off her dair. It's quite the awkward looking dair though, so it could be her counter instead... What do you guys think? Lucina seems more straight forward with her attacks opposed to Marth, and she is perhaps faster, but with less power. I'm willing to bet that Marth has much higher special attack power.

Looking at it more, it looks like her counter... I hope she's different in a few areas... I don't really have a huge problem with clones though as they are quick to make, usually, I actually preferred the clone Roy to Marth. I also preferred Ness to Lucas.

Last edited:

MattScar

Smash Rookie
if you click her portrait it says newcomer
Yes, but my point was she isnt being treated like most newcomers. When Palutena, Miis and Pac-Man were all announced, they all got the rectangle. Why doesnt Lucina have a rectangle?

Blurr-kill

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blurr-kil
I think she's a clone, but I hope they have different smashes and tilts at least, and hopefully a different neutral special.
I'm pretty sure her neutral special is the same. Although its not seen in gameplay you can see her sword lunge when she's fighting captain falcon . Hopefully they'll have different custom special moves

MattScar post: 17067170 said:
Yes, but my point was she isnt being treated like most newcomers. When Palutena, Miis and Pac-Man were all announced, they all got the rectangle. Why doesnt Lucina have a rectangle?
It shows a rectangle on my phone but not my laptop.
It shows a rectan

Last edited by a moderator:

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Uhhh.......How is leaving your teammates caring about others? Falco only helped his teammates at the end of Star Fox Adventures.

Response to bold: There is no way you can prove that.

Falco's only save and grace is that he has Smash Fans and is popular with Tourney players.

If anybody from the Star Fox team should have been added, it should have been Slippy, since he actually helps the team and is a real team player.

Again, don't try to make Falco more important than he really is.

Oh and I fixed your post.

Edit: The only Star Fox character's that came close than Lucina in hers, are Wolf and Krystal. Falco did no such thing.
Falco cares about his teammates regardless of that. Sometimes persons are not able to control their emotions correctly, leading to bad or egoist decissions caused by arrogance or some feelings like rage. Im sure that most of the persons on the earth had done something that hurted somehow to friends or families and that does not mean, that he/she does not care about friends or family, is just a bad decission that anyone can make.

Falco is an arrogant jerk, but he is friend of Fox anyway.

Besides that, i want you to notice as that character role is not always connected to the Iconicy.

Going to put the ultimate example, Goomba. Goomba role is no more than Cannon Fodder, barely developed personality and not identity given at all. Yet Goomba is more iconic than Lucina, Chrom, Robin, Lucas, Falco, Slippy, Krystal, Wolf and many other Nintendo characters TOGETHER.

Falco is a character of decades of history, while Lucina is a character of years of history.
Lucina is a main character in one game succesful game, Falco is a secondary character of various succesful games.
And appearance of Falco in SSB makes this a no contest.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Lucina has no tipper design on her sword swing, which probably means no tipper damage. It should mean that her attack should be weaker (or more averaged) than Marth's but she won't require as much spacing.

Last edited:

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Just a little nitpick here but I really hope her "Dancing Blade" is dubbed "Astra" or something to pay homage to that skill (considering Lucina can get that skill if her mother's Olivia, Sully, or FeMU).

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Lucina is aesthetically different from Marth. Her body shape is different (being more feminine), she has long hair and I am fairly sure Masked Lucina will be a costume for her. So... Yeah.
Lucina looks almost identical to Marth and wears very similar clothing. Ironically the character that was thought to be more unique seems virtually identical to Marth. Hopefully this is not the case!

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Interesting. Maybe she could indeed be the spiritual Roy successor that I'm looking for.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Falco cares about his teammates regardless of that. Sometimes persons are not able to control their emotions correctly, leading to bad or egoist decissions caused by arrogance or some feelings like rage. Im sure that most of the persons on the earth had done something that hurted somehow to friends or families and that does not mean, that he/she does not care about friends or family, is just a bad decission that anyone can make.

Falco is an arrogant jerk, but he is friend of Fox anyway.

Besides that, i want you to notice as that character role is not always connected to the Iconicy.

Going to put the ultimate example, Goomba. Goomba role is no more than Cannon Fodder, barely developed personality and not identity given at all. Yet Goomba is more iconic than Lucina, Chrom, Robin, Lucas, Falco, Slippy, Krystal, Wolf and many other Nintendo characters TOGETHER.

Falco is a character of decades of history, while Lucina is a character of years of history.
Lucina is a main character in one game succesful game, Falco is a secondary character of various succesful games.
And appearance of Falco in SSB makes this a no contest.
If I recall, I heard someone stating that the Star Fox Team was about working together protecting the galaxy. According to Falco's attitude he does not fit the bill.

Goomba is nothing more than Cannon Fodder though, that is the entire point. That is like trying to get the typical Star Fox robotic enemies to be playable. To even suggest the Goomba as part of your argument makes no sense, because Plot character > common enemy.

Response to bold: You just said it yourself why Lucina is more important to her own franchise than Falco is to his own.

This is up for speculation, but I bet, that if Falco was never in Super Smash Brothers, he would never have the fan following he has today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom