• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas's position on the tier list...

holla at yo marth

Smash Cadet
Weren't he and ness not put on it originally and they realized it and they eneded up putting them in a random spot?

Because I don't think lucas deserves to be low tier...

Teh Future

Smash Master
no one plays Lucas.

seriously I keep hearing people complain that their character is only low because no one uses him, but there's usually a couple people you always see and recognize as a user of that character. It's not true with Lucas, no one good uses him at all.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I do. Lucas is a terrible character BTW.

Horrible matchups (against the characters that are actually important)
and tourney results.

Ness however is decent.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Lucas is not that bad
im not jus saying that b/c im a Lucas main
If u use him the right way he's a beast
And Ness can be gimped more easily than Lucas
so Lucas is somewhat better(there has been many arguments about this)
It doesnt matter where Lucas' placement is
Its all about the skill of the player....and Lucas may not hav any pros playing him yet
but that might change soon...now that Mother 3 Fan Translation is out
So more people will know who he is and see that he's an interesting character.

themrskills

Smash Apprentice
I think lucas might have caught a little of the bad rep that ness had in melee. In melee, ness could be gimped really easily, and so when people were deciding on who to go with in brawl, they looked right over lucas assuming that he would be just easily gimped.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
no one plays Lucas.

seriously I keep hearing people complain that their character is only low because no one uses him, but there's usually a couple people you always see and recognize as a user of that character. It's not true with Lucas, no one good uses him at all.
Your definiton of good is what, now?

Tyr_03, Levitas, Blackbelt, prOAPC... they're all good. I think you shouldn't necessarily use "good" and "famous" interchangeably. You can be very skilled without a lot of people knowing who you are.

If you intend to say no one well known uses him, then I don't think it matters... We just need more Lucases (and Nesses) placing well at tournaments, not just one famous one... It's a community effort in a sense.

Levitas

the moon
I'm only ok at this game. I do know stuff. I think it's the same for Tyr and Blackbelt, and proAPC has some tournament success, though they've been at tournaments with wierd rules and stuff.

Now, as far as lucas is concerned, his biggest problem is a couple of REALLY bad matchups in the high/top tiers. Marth and G&W come to mind, but they're not the only ones.

SonicBoom2

Smash Journeyman
Oh God, he should be higher. But he's a little hard to use.
He has combo ability.
He has good strength.
Just, nobody plays him as much.
HUGE learning curve (his recovery is horrible, unless you use Zap Jump, really)
Well, yeah, no one uses him and big learning curve confuses primitive humans.

Levitas

the moon
He is rather easy to use.

His combos don't do much damage and generally start with a Nair or grab, and those are both dangerous to use. Nair is beaten out by SDI . Grabs are really punishable. Ideally, lucas is attacking into a shield until he gets a shield poke, but that's unreliable, and can even backfire.

I'd count Lucas's strongest aspect as his recovery, not his strength. He can KO decently early, but most of the moves are slow enough that they're either really situational or yomi dependant. That said, Upsmash beats Luigi. Seriously, this is a really wierd fact.

A couple people play him, but very few use him competitively. There's a reason for that.

Most of his techs are pretty easy. I'd say top priorities for a lucas to learn are 1. retreating PK fires, 2. SH autocancelled nairs, 3. zap jump. Now if you look at someone like ICs, you're staring potential in the face, but THAT's a ridiculous learning curve.

He might deserve to go up a couple spots, but like I said before, bad matchups are what's holding him down. And for the record, if MK gets banned, it'll get a LOT worse for lucas. G&W and Marth will become dominant if MK goes down.

holla at yo marth

Smash Cadet
ok yeah
i'm not saying I main lucas because I don't
he has lag after his two good combo moves nair and grab
I just wanted to know
But I guess its just that no one plays with him
I'm gonna close the thread just cuz there's already a tier thread
thanks for the replies.

Jarun

Smash Cadet
im not going to say anything because everytime i explain my feelings about the tier list, someone hates me :)

Top Bottom