• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas without B-Sticking?

Star Ryan

Smash Cadet
All over the boards I'm reading about B-Stick techniques that seem vital to a Lucas player's success.

I basically want to know if Lucas can be played efficiently without. I mained Ness in Melee, so will Lucas in Brawl be a big shock to me, or will I be right at home with him fairly quickly?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
B-Sticking's hella useful, but it's not mandatory. It's biggest use is making Wavebouncing much easier on your fingers and controller. For the record, I don't B-Stick.

Regarding Lucas vs. Ness, there's a guide that's either here or on the Ness forums (I forgot which, and I'm too lazy to check atm. ._.) that compares the two characters. On a basic level, they control almost identically imo -- it's their individual attacks that will dictate who you're more comfortable with.

PkStars

Smash Rookie
It takes a LOT of time, but the b-stick allows you to make your air game awesome. The Zap Jump is done by using PK Fire and a double jump at the same time. You will rocket really high in the air. Good way to avoid combat and set up PK Thunder.

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
i don't use b-sticking, however i used to. i feel like when i do b-stick its actually too much backward momentum.

I then have to think more to do an advancing PK fire, etc.

While b-sticking for many Lucas players probably helps their game out

PeachyD00M

Smash Rookie
I b-stick, but im not 100% awesome with it. it takes time really and at first i really felt like i was hurting my game by trying to pick it up. After awhile i've really started to get used to it and really cant tihnk of playign with out it.

It is very restricting, seeing as your smashes arent easy access anymore. but think of it this way, with your smashes not being so easy to spam, you wont run out their power (moves get weaker as you use them over and over if you didnt already know). Also, i know for me it wasnt too bad because i never used the c-stick for smashes in Melee, so it was an easy switch.

so pretty much it boils down to b-stick = spam your PKfire! not your smashes

Star Ryan

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the replies, it's all what I hoped to hear.

I barely ever C-Sticked in Melee, maybe for the odd aerial, but I was usually fine with just the analogue stick.

It sounds like I should be fine with the B-Stick; I'm hoping I can learn it's ins and outs well enough to use it solely for wavebouncing etc, and for that epic zap jump / magnet pull technique, whenever I require them.

I'm just worried about the feel of Lucas being severely changed because of the new techniques.

screeddie

Smash Apprentice
I don't use the B-Stick. The zap jump doesn't appeal to me because Lucas has godly recovery already, and I can wavebounce without B-Sticking.

Magnet pull? Looks cool but not really vital to my game.

I think B-Sticking would distract me more than aid me.

Trozz

Smash Ace
B-sticking is more useful for making PKF push you back when you jump and use it. Course you don't need to b-stick to do this; it just makes it way easier.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
I switched to BSticking earlier yesterday, I must admit it does have it's uses here and there. But overall, I just didn't feel 100% comfortable with it. Don't know why but I felt like at times the moment was carrying me too far, whilst other times I'd forget to leg go of the Directional Stick, so instead of turning around to PK Fire, I'd end up Jumping instead.

I later analysed my control scheme and realised that I NEVER EVER used the R Trigger, not once. Not for shielding, dodging, air dodging or anything! So I changed the R Trigger from Shielding to B Specials.

It didn't take much time to perfect the play to be honest, I felt really comfortable being able to Run away from my opponent, Jump then Right + R my opponent. Good momentum and control too.

Then I tried the Zap jump, and I did it several times in combat flawlessly! Didn't need to re-adjust my finger positions or anything! Simply hit Right + Y + R and that was me in theee air!

I recommend other Lucas players try this out too, especially if you use the C-Stick a lot to Smash or Air Attack =).

Can really help Lucas get the extra edge over other characters :)

PeachyD00M

Smash Rookie
I later analysed my control scheme and realised that I NEVER EVER used the R Trigger, not once. Not for shielding, dodging, air dodging or anything! So I changed the R Trigger from Shielding to B Specials.

It didn't take much time to perfect the play to be honest, I felt really comfortable being able to Run away from my opponent, Jump then Right + R my opponent. Good momentum and control too.

Then I tried the Zap jump, and I did it several times in combat flawlessly! Didn't need to re-adjust my finger positions or anything! Simply hit Right + Y + R and that was me in theee air!

I recommend other Lucas players try this out too, especially if you use the C-Stick a lot to Smash or Air Attack =).

Can really help Lucas get the extra edge over other characters :)
when i was reading this i was like "omg... me too!" i set my r trigger to specials for a while but returned to b-stick. but i know what you mean i really did like the r special... now you're making me re-think my Lucas strategy D: again!

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I don't like b-sticking too much because I can still zap jump and magnet pull even with the C-stick on. I think that losing most of your smash attack capabilities just to get a better wavebounce with pk fire isn't that useful.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
There are about 7 threads in the top 3 pages on this subject, just have a look around next time.

Top Bottom