• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas + major tournament = fail?

BLI7ZARD

Smash Apprentice
I know this might seem random but i just wanted to ask(tell me if this is the wrong place)
does anyone think lucas can win a major tournament or is lucas too bad?
I currently use peach thats like right in the middle of tier list and can barely beat average metas so it must be a lot harder for lucas. If i want to play competitively is lucas too bad or not good enough for the tournament scene?

Chuee

Smash Hero
Lucas won't win any major tourny unless the player is extremely well, knows the MUs extremely well, doesn't run into a snake, and infinites are banned.
Highly unlikely.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Why you got to pick on Lucas for?
He's capable of winning a big tourny if he has a solid secondary to handle Snake and Marth
Its not like he's the worst character in the game or something
You should post something like this in the Link or Ganon boards

/thread

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Why you got to pick on Lucas for?
He's capable of winning a big tourny if he has a solid secondary to handle Snake and Marth
Its not like he's the worst character in the game or something
You should post something like this in the Link or Ganon boards

/thread
I don't think he was really picking on Lucas cj. The Luigi boards have a topic similar to this, he's just really curious if a Lucas can do it.

I think if the Lucas is exceptional, they can.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Umm if you're like a significantly better player than everyone there then theoretically you could win a big tournament with Lucas. But the chances of that happening with players like M2K, Ally and ADHD around is pretty unlikely. I don't think it's even remotely plausible that M2K could lose to a Lucas main.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
Lucas can't win it, not alone. There are too many times where you will face a Marth, Snake, or MK in large tournies. Sure you'll be able to overcome some of them. You'll get a few surprise wins here and there, but nothing that's gonna take you to Grand Finals.

What people need to understand is that when you discuss a MU and come to a ratio of 30:70, that means that at THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF PLAY (we're talking like Ally's Snake and a Lucas Main as good as Ally) the lucas only stands a 30% chance of winning. No matter how good the Lucas main is, it's still d*mn hard to win, h*ll near impossible to win.

So what do we do about this? Well, pick up a solid secondary or two to cover your bad MU's and hope you don't get CP'd. My personal suggestion would be Lucas, Snake, D3. OR Lucas, Snake, MK. But this means that you're not really using Lucas to win the big tourney. Just because you win a few matches here and there with Lucas doesn't mean Lucas is winning the big tourney... you'll be winning the MAJORITY of the matches with your secondaries.

IMO, we don't main Lucas to win. We main Lucas to have fun, and when we win a set with him, it feels great to overcome the odds and prove your skill with a low tier character. We get recognition, which everybody loves. You can't deny that you love when you use Lucas at a tourney, do a zap jump, or dtilt lock and after the match people say you're the best Lucas they've ever seen. If you mained MK, Snake, or any other top tier character, I can assure you that people won't be saying that stuff about you. There's just far too many people that main them, and because of these reasons, we stick to Lucas, because we love the challenge, love winning with him, and love when the people meat ride us about it afterwards.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
If I played Lucas everytime to win I'd be playing Brawl+ right now. If you're interested in winning large tournments, you should play a high tier character.

However, I think Lucas is pretty Grape in low-tiers :D

Chuee

Smash Hero
Lucas does amazing in low tiers. He only has a few 45-55 matchups and the others are even or slightly in lucas' favor. imo lucas has a slight advantage or better every on every character below him on the tier list except Yoshi (I don't think ness and mario are worse than lucas so I put them above him).
The one thing imo that saves lucas from getting ***** in SO many MUs is his gimping ability.

Rachmaninav89

Smash Apprentice
It's an unfortunate truth, but that doesn't mean you should stop trying to at least make yourself known as an amazing lucas player, because its that much more if you kick *** with a low tier. and besides hes awesome to play with and can kick ***.

Wild ARMs

Smash Journeyman
I've learned new things about Lucas for sure, but my outlook on him hasn't changed.
I knew he was a bad character after a month or two of maining him. But I didn't stop because he was bad.
Heck, I couldn't switch characters now if I wanted to. I suck with other characters but Lucas really fits for me.

tl;dr Lucas is the only character for me.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I ususally Gdubs for MU's I don't feel comfortable with, he's the highest tier character I feel comfortable playing competatively with >.>

I play characters b/c I like to play them.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
I play characters with gimmicks and a fun playstyle. Zamus has her suit pieces and her down-smash, would anyone like getting hit by either of those? Lucas has, well, you should know.

Marth's more of an obligatory choice. I'm a Lucas main, and he counters a lot of Lucas' counters so yeah :/

Rachmaninav89

Smash Apprentice
I gotta agree with Tyr here haha, Lucas mains get the most women I believe.
He's the classiest mother****er out there. You can't say no to that ****.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
He hasn't won me over yet!

Oh my god his hair is so sexy.......

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
lucas' hair suxxorz :(

if you're reading this you didn't get tricked by my trick post :D also Lucas' hair flip sways in the wind in some of his animations showing its awesome flexibility and elasticity

lil cj

Smash Lord
I don't think he was really picking on Lucas cj. The Luigi boards have a topic similar to this, he's just really curious if a Lucas can do it.

I think if the Lucas is exceptional, they can.
Thanks for clearing that up Yink lol

Wild ARMs

Smash Journeyman
If there was an awesome hair tier list, we'd be like MK.
I always thought that his hair was Peekay Awesome.

Top Bottom