• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas is in the Brawl! - General Discussion

the grim lizard

Smash Master

The youth with the psychic powers has appeared—it’s Lucas! He makes his anticipated debut from the Japan-only release MOTHER 3.

While he is timid in nature, he fights splendidly. Is it possible he can surpass even Ness?!

Well, the blond one has indeed made it after weeks of...nobody really caring apparently. In any case, Lucas is in the Brawl, and it's anybody's guess whether or not that is a Ness moveset or not or weather our baseball-capped friend will also return in the fray.

So, again, feel free to discuss all things Lucas- and Mother-related here, especially possible moveset ideas.

Here is a possible moveset posted in the thread (with the idea of being different from Ness):

A, A, A = Punch, punch, PSI Punch
Light punches that lead to a PSI infused punch.
Side A = PSI Kick
A PSI infused kick for a bit higher damage.
Down A = Bombs
Light explosion form at his sides, little damage, but good knock back.
Up A = PSI Spin
He spins with PSI energy around him, knocking the enemy above and to the side.

Air A = Yo-yo
I think he should use a Yo-yo, since it’s kind of iconic, but at least he could use it differently. He gets it out and spins it around him, fast, and several times.
Air Side A = Salt Water Gun
Shoots a small blast of salt water to his sides.
Air Down A = Honey Shower
Throws a Honey jar that breaks, and bees surround the area where it breaks, doing damage. If it hits someone, then the bees follow that character for a while, doing damage.
Air Up A = Insecticide
Doesn’t do a lot of damage, but it will stun an opponent for a while. (I’m not sure for how long though)

Running A = Bombs
A trail of bombs explodes behind him as he runs.

Side Smash = Magical Scepter swing
Lucas swings the Magical Scepter, if you charge it, magic/PSI energy build at its tip.
Down Smash = Salt Water Gun Spin
Spins and shoots a blast of salt water a short distance around him.
Up Smash = Magical Scepter upward jab
He jabs the scepter up, same effect for charging.

B = PK Love
Since the animation for this move is very abstract, it could be a lot of things. I think it would be cool if it were a wave-y beam(s?) or orb(s?) he can charge up, since there’s alpha to omega, and it’s an attack that spreads out, since it hits all enemies. Also, after they spread and travel a distance (not a very long one) the beams/orbs meet and explode. Thoughts?
Side B (ground) = Sprinting Bomb
A bomb that runs!
Side B (air) = Pencil Rocket
Lucas launches a Pencil Rocket that is light and flies very awkwardly, but does heavy damage.
Down B = Counter
Lucas stands still and glows red, and any physical hit he receives will be ignored, and he will attack back. One would have to try to “catch” the attack, like with Ness’ PSI Magnet.
Up B = Thunder Bomb
He gets a Thunder Bomb out and raises it above his head, if an enemy makes contact it explodes for lighting damage. He can throw it too, if he doesn’t, it explodes after about 3-5seconds then he is propelled in the direction of the control stick, like Ness’ PK Thunder, but since it’s easier to use, it should be weaker. (I think that it makes him a bit parallel to Ness, but I think it would be awkward as a recovery, I want to think something else up.)

Grab =
Attempt to grab an opponent.
A =
PSI Slap! (The Head butt = Stupid)
Front Throw =
Throws forward, using PSI to help him.
Back Throw =
Throws diagonally, and throws a bomb for further distance and damage.
Up Throw = Blast of PSI knock the opponent up
Down Throw =
Throws down and does a PSI infused kick.

Final Smash = New Years Eve Bomb
In Mother 3, this reduced all enemies’ HP to 1. It could deal a lot of damage, but with little to no knock back, so no one can be knocked out with it, but it would be easy to knock them out afterwards.

Another possibility for the final smash would have to make it PK Love Omega. And think of something else for the B move (PK Flash?)

Oh, I also found this in the "Sakurai's comments" thread...

"Mother Characters

I'm gonna lump this together, because there isn't really one specific character. Essentially, the entire party of Mother 2, Ninten from Mother 1, and Lucas, Claus, and Kumatora from Mother 3 all popped up on Sakurai's poll. Claus got a bigger deal of attention, considering his "LOL SECRET," and Sakurai, who DID WORK ON MOTHER 3 *hint hint*, mentioned amongst the letters that he would be including stuff from the game. Now, firstly, he confirmed in Famitsu that Mother 3 music was appearing in Brawl. Secondly, he confirmed that had EB2/64/M3 been released pre SSB64, Ness would've been replaced by Lucas. He even held out for it to be released prior to Melee, to try and put in Lucas then. So, now that Lucas is out, what happens to Ness....?"

That's it...Lucas for Brawl!

tirkaro

Smash Champion
*sigh*
okay, first off, its ルカス (rukasu) not リュカ (riyuka)

second, there STILL isn't a topic for this guy!!!??? 0_0

third, yeah, sure, why not. He would make a pretty good addition.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Lucas for Brawl?
I don't care if its Ness, or Ness and Lucas, or just Lucas, as long as an earthbound character is severly nerffed again.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
*sigh*
okay, first off, its ルカス (rukasu) not リュカ (riyuka)

second, there STILL isn't a topic for this guy!!!??? 0_0

third, yeah, sure, why not. He would make a pretty good addition.
Try a google search on both. The first you get weird stuff, the second you get Lucas/Mother stuff.

And no, there still isn't. I was wanting to find some info on him, but it was nowhere to be found. I guess this is the place...

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Try a google search on both. The first you get weird stuff, the second you get Lucas/Mother stuff.

And no, there still isn't. I was wanting to find some info on him, but it was nowhere to be found. I guess this is the place...
since smashboards suddenly wont let me edit: according to wikipedia, he is indeed called "リュカ ".....wierd choice of katakana 0_o

anyway, from what I've seen, he seems pretty much the same as the last 2 mother protagonists. kinda like ness's replacement. so I assume he would have the same basic moveset as ness, but with different attack names and a new look.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i always thought that the earthbound characters were more interesting then the mother 3 characters. i mean who doesn't like jeff and poo, i'd prefer either to lucas.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
If Goroh's trophification (I love that word...) means that Falcon will once again be the sole representative of his franchise, then I suspect that only one Mother/EB character will make it as well (since that series is about as niche as they come...)

So who deserves the spot more: Ness or Lucas? I'm all for replacing old characters with more recent ones, but I'm also wary of Japanese-only or American-only characters making the cut at the expense of universally popular characters.

I could potentially see Lucas appearing as the new Mother rep in Brawl, but hopefully the international localization of Mother 3 will soon follow.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
As far as Lucas is concerned, I...don't know much about him either. But I'm willing to bet he's just as much the 'average youth, silent protagonist,' as Ness. And while I'm as big an EB fan as the next...EB fan, I don't mind too much if they just decide to switch Ness with Lucas. But you can't count out Ness being there simply because he's been there for two games now. Tradition much?

As far as Mother 3 is concered, you can find more info poking around the infamous Starmen.net. They're currently working on a fan translation of the game, but if their current campaign works out (check the site and notice the HUGE FREAKINGLY AWESOME EARTHBOUND BOOK they sent to a number of lucky E3-bound media agents,) we may yet have an official translation...eventually.

One of my bets, though, is that NOA's holding off on the domestic release of Mother 3 until sometime soon after Brawl is released and Lucas (or whoever from M3,) has been discovered in the game. Mainly because I'm sure there are loads of Nintendo/EB fans who would be like, "Who the heck is this?"

Fawriel

Smash Master
Lucas for Brawl!

Or rather... Earthbound for Brawl!

I don't care if Ness stays or Lucas replaces him or if BOTH get in ( unlikely ), I just want my Earthbound hero. Even if he turns out bottom tier.

Lucas replacing Ness would not change too much but maybe give us a little fresh breeze.

So.. yeah. I support Lucas!
With about the same moveset + improvements!

PrinnyFlute said:
They're currently working on a fan translation of the game, but if their current campaign works out (check the site and notice the HUGE FREAKINGLY AWESOME EARTHBOUND BOOK they sent to a number of lucky E3-bound media agents,) we may yet have an official translation...eventually.
=D

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Really? No Lucas topic yet? Well, we disparately needed one. Lucas for Brawl! I dont' even care if he replaces Ness, he just needs to be in. Lucas needs to be Brawl's Marth. He needs to be the character who's inclusion finally draws a game out of hiding in the cave of Japanese exclusivity. Lucas in Brawl = Mother 3 in US. And then HT will do the happy dance 'till the break of dawn. Also:

This picture owns out loud. WW Lucas FTW!

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
KEEP NESS!!! I don't like the idea of my main being replaced by a friggin' japan only I've never heard of... I wouldn't mind putting them both in, but Ness stays!

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I want Lucas in because I HOPE he can do what Marth/Roy did for Fire Emblem. And I'd like to have both in, I mean, Ness was the reason I bought SSB. If Ness is replaced then I hope they included Kumatora. (however, that would be TOO Japan only maybe?)

Anyways, he is very similar to Ness in terms of combat, but since Ness did use some of Paula's moves (which I was upset about at first... but I'm over it now) there is some unexplored potential. He has a physical counter, instead of Ness' energy based one, has PK Love, which would be.... interesting to see. There's also offense up, which could be used, then his next attack would be stronger (but then the effects goes off and he has to do it again) He does uses bats, but he also has some cool rods he could use too/instead. He also has access to a yoyo, but there is a mace he can use too, and there are some battle items the whole cast can use, such as bombs, guns, insecticide, a banana, and a shieldstnatcher.

So there is a lot they can do. They need not replace Ness. In fact, Kumatora *could* replace Ness (not that I want it to happen) since she has Paula's moves, plus PK Freeze and PK Ground, so she could even be a semi-clone without much effort and we could have all three! then again, the chances of that happening are... eh, none.

Claus shouldn't be in. He was barely, barely used. And if he is an alternate custom of Lucas I would barf, but it would be a minor complaint.

BTW, in the event that Lucas just can't get in, maybe Pokey could, more villains and he appeared in both M2 and M3. But I'd rather have Lucas. And Pokey away from Smash until at least the next game.

PS: Whoever did that WW Mother 3 pic deserves a prize.

ZeldaFox38

Smash Lord
BTW, in the event that Lucas just can't get in, maybe Pokey could, more villains and he appeared in both M2 and M3. But I'd rather have Lucas. And Pokey away from Smash until at least the next game.
What would be Pokey's move set? Scream in terror as enemies show up? :laugh: Just kidding around.

He'd be interesting if he showed up as something. Maybe an assist trophy? (I know--just start throwing the barrels at my head.) He'd either show up in something cool like the spider walker or possibly as the aforementioned annoying counterpart in the early part of Mother 2.

I don't really know if he could be playable, but he'd be interesting to have around.

Toologist

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Toologist
3DS FC
0963-1281-8162
I fully support Lucas to be in the game. I liked him a lot more than Ness, because I really felt for his character. He really developed from beginning to end.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think Fliptroppa mentioned this over at Nintendo Database. Ness is the last link to Earthbound in the US and Europe. Without him, it's a Japanese only game. Also, supposibly, Ness is one of his favorite characters. I think after surviving two games and the fact that no one in the West knows who Lucas is that they both should be in.

Lucas should definatly use some of the staus effect moves. If he's hidden then that would make a lot of sences(hidden characters have some weird play styles compaired to the more basic starters). Maybe give him PK Ground as that wasn't in Earthbound.

Been said one million times, but this picture owns.

awesome

Smash Apprentice
He has a physical counter, instead of Ness' energy based one, has PK Love, which would be.... interesting to see. There's also offense up, which could be used, then his next attack would be stronger (but then the effects goes off and he has to do it again) He does uses bats, but he also has some cool rods he could use too/instead. He also has access to a yoyo, but there is a mace he can use too, and there are some battle items the whole cast can use, such as bombs, guns, insecticide, a banana, and a shieldstnatcher.

Claus shouldn't be in. He was barely, barely used. And if he is an alternate custom of Lucas I would barf, but it would be a minor complaint.
You don't know about Claus's thingy? Official Claus Thread will clear things up. just watch out for spoilers. Big, huge spoilers.

Also, those weapons interest me. Someone should make a non-clone moveset for Lucas using those things. The last time I made a moveset, no one liked it.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I did know about THAT, but he was barely used, so he shouldn't get in BEFORE Lucas, and having him AND Lucas would be pushing it. (Possible spoilers = Original plan was to have him eventually rejoin the party, if he had maybe I wouldn't mind so much)

I volunteer to do the moveset if no one else does, but I'll be busy next week since it's the week before exams over here, but I'll see if I can think something up.

Can I see your moveset by the way, awesome? (I had to write that several times :p )

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I still like Lucas better... even if Claus is the DUN DUN DUN SPOILERS... so let's move on. I'll say it again, I think Lucas should be in BEFORE Claus, but that would be TOO much, to have them both. And if Lucas gets in, Claus must NOT be an alternate custume to Lucas, cause, well, that would suck. For both of them.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Lucas>Claus. I'd rather have the main man.

Also, question, how much do you use Flint and Salas(the monkey) in the game. And is Lucas, Claus and Katamori(spelling?) the only characters who use PSI?

Toologist

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Toologist
3DS FC
0963-1281-8162
Lucas>Claus. I'd rather have the main man.

Also, question, how much do you use Flint and Salas(the monkey) in the game. And is Lucas, Claus and Katamori(spelling?) the only characters who use PSI?

You use Flint throughout the first chapter, and Salsa throughout the third chapter. And yes, Lucas, Claus, and Kumatora are the only PSI users. That is, unless, you count the Magypsies as well.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I want Mother 3 to be released in English as much as any other EB fan, but I would much rather Ness be the playable character and Lucas being an AT, that way we can keep Ness and people see Lucas and become interested in Mother 3.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Sorry if anybody already posted this but as you know mother 3 was going to come out for the N64. He was also going to replace Ness in SSBM. But since the N64 game was canceld they didn't put lucas in because nobody knew him yet. But on 2006 mother 3 was released on the GBA. Seeing that brawl will have so many characters they will add Lucas and keep Ness.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
As a *HUGE* Mother series fan i would be pretty p***ed to find out Ness was REPLACED by Lucas, don't get me wrong i loved lucas i even went as far as buying Mother 3 for my DS (and played through the entire game in japanese) but Why would they just dump Ness? he has more then earned his right to stay in Brawl, though i wasn't too happy with what they did to him in melee. Lucas would deffinatly be a fresh face for the Mother series i just worry he would play waaaaaay to similar to Ness, i mean in Mother 3 he had just about all the same PSI moves Ness did, but a lot more support stuff. Sooooooo i'd love to see him in SSBB *IF* and only if they can make him an entirly different character from Ness

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Yes, he had the PSI moves Ness had, but it's good Ness used Paula's moves XD technichaly, Kumatora shares Ness' moves, sans PK Flash.

But I mean, that was for Melee, I remember actually being a little bit glad M64 got the can, (just a little bit.....) just cause Ness would be back, but times have changed, and they can both fit now! right? I mean, if Fire Emblem got 2 characters last game, and everyone was "WTF?" we can have Lucas, in fact, some buyers might know who he is.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Yes, he had the PSI moves Ness had, but it's good Ness used Paula's moves XD technichaly, Kumatora shares Ness' moves, sans PK Flash.

But I mean, that was for Melee, I remember actually being a little bit glad M64 got the can, (just a little bit.....) just cause Ness would be back, but times have changed, and they can both fit now! right? I mean, if Fire Emblem got 2 characters last game, and everyone was "WTF?" we can have Lucas, in fact, some buyers might know who he is.
That was something I was going to say: Ness stole some of Paula's moves; so couldn't Lucas steal some attacks from some other member's of his party in addition to his own moves? Such as even Claus, since I'm told he has very different moves...

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Well, there's only Kumatora, but she's Poo and Paula rolled into one, so... maybe I could handle Lucas using PK Freeze but if he pulls a Starstorm I'd lose it... There's unexplored potential even using Ness' unused moves... I'll make a moveset soon, just let me get out of exam week.

OOOOH if they wanted to they could make him fight with Boney, but not as a duo like the Ice Climbers, but like Peach and Toad, he could use Boney for help with attacks and he'd just be there following around, he'd be little so it doesn't matter.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Anyone have a good moveset yet?? I really know nothing about the games; so I have nothing valuable to offer.

On a side note, I would prefer to have them both be in and have different moves.

Conker1

Smash Ace
I have an idea to get both Ness and Lucas in. Simply make them the same character.

In Street Fighter 3 they had Yun and Yang. If you pressed a punch button you played as Yun, if you pressed a kick button you played as Yang. They both had different sounds and sprites, but they played the same.

They can do the same for Ness and Lucas. Press Y to play as Ness and X to play as Lucas. Give them different voices and different announcer sounds, but make them the same.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I have an idea to get both Ness and Lucas in. Simply make them the same character.

In Street Fighter 3 they had Yun and Yang. If you pressed a punch button you played as Yun, if you pressed a kick button you played as Yang. They both had different sounds and sprites, but they played the same.

They can do the same for Ness and Lucas. Press Y to play as Ness and X to play as Lucas. Give them different voices and different announcer sounds, but make them the same.
thats actually a pretty good idea! *kudos for you*
still, *IF* they can make Lucas a separate chacter with his own move set that'd be awesome

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Due to no one making a moveset, I made one, though I didn't give it as much time as I would've liked to.

A, A, A = Punch, punch, PSI Punch
Light punches that lead to a PSI infused punch.
Side A = PSI Kick
A PSI infused kick for a bit higher damage.
Down A = Bombs
Light explosion form at his sides, little damage, but good knock back.
Up A = PSI Spin
He spins with PSI energy around him, knocking the enemy above and to the side.

Air A = Yo-yo
I think he should use a Yo-yo, since it’s kind of iconic, but at least he could use it differently. He gets it out and spins it around him, fast, and several times.
Air Side A = Salt Water Gun
Shoots a small blast of salt water to his sides.
Air Down A = Honey Shower
Throws a Honey jar that breaks, and bees surround the area where it breaks, doing damage. If it hits someone, then the bees follow that character for a while, doing damage.
Air Up A = Insecticide
Doesn’t do a lot of damage, but it will stun an opponent for a while. (I’m not sure for how long though)

Running A = Bombs
A trail of bombs explodes behind him as he runs.

Side Smash = Magical Scepter swing
Lucas swings the Magical Scepter, if you charge it, magic/PSI energy build at its tip.
Down Smash = Salt Water Gun Spin
Spins and shoots a blast of salt water a short distance around him.
Up Smash = Magical Scepter upward jab
He jabs the scepter up, same effect for charging.

B = PK Love
Since the animation for this move is very abstract, it could be a lot of things. I think it would be cool if it were a wave-y beam(s?) or orb(s?) he can charge up, since there’s alpha to omega, and it’s an attack that spreads out, since it hits all enemies. Also, after they spread and travel a distance (not a very long one) the beams/orbs meet and explode. Thoughts?
Side B (ground) = Sprinting Bomb
A bomb that runs!
Side B (air) = Pencil Rocket
Lucas launches a Pencil Rocket that is light and flies very awkwardly, but does heavy damage.
Down B = Counter
Lucas stands still and glows red, and any physical hit he receives will be ignored, and he will attack back. One would have to try to “catch” the attack, like with Ness’ PSI Magnet.
Up B = Thunder Bomb
He gets a Thunder Bomb out and raises it above his head, if an enemy makes contact it explodes for lighting damage. He can throw it too, if he doesn’t, it explodes after about 3-5seconds then he is propelled in the direction of the control stick, like Ness’ PK Thunder, but since it’s easier to use, it should be weaker. (I think that it makes him a bit parallel to Ness, but I think it would be awkward as a recovery, I want to think something else up.)

Grab =
Attempt to grab an opponent.
A =
PSI Slap! (The Head butt = Stupid)
Front Throw =
Throws forward, using PSI to help him.
Back Throw =
Throws diagonally, and throws a bomb for further distance and damage.
Up Throw = Blast of PSI knock the opponent up
Down Throw =
Throws down and does a PSI infused kick.

Final Smash = New Years Eve Bomb
In Mother 3, this reduced all enemies’ HP to 1. It could deal a lot of damage, but with little to no knock back, so no one can be knocked out with it, but it would be easy to knock them out afterwards.

Another possibility for the final smash would have to make it PK Love Omega. And think of something else for the B move (PK Flash?)

So, there it is. It's a bit rushed I said, and some moves need more thought and suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated. :D

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I like it. It's original, and I like how you incorporated psi attacks into his melee attacks. It's rather Zelda- or Doc-esque. I did think you had too many bombs, but again, I don't know much about the different attacks as I've never played.

Could you maybe have something of a description for the different times? I'm something of a Mother noob. Explain the yoyo, bombs (what are they exactly), magic scepter, salt water gun, etc. Also, I do like the fact that you had some of the same items/attacks and used them differently. Not a bad way to go at all.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
The bombs aren't so prominent in the game. That's why I don't like having so many, they're not very iconic, I was just rushing it too much so I'm thinking of modifications to them. The ones I'm looking forward to changing are the Thunder Bomb, the Running A, eliminating the Sprinting bomb and leaving the Pencil Rocket on its own, among other things.

Can anyone think of a good recovery move?

I have bimestral exams starting on monday, going through, though, and also Japanese semestrals on monday, wednesday and the next monday. So I don't have a lot of free time.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Um.. yeah I don't know who he is.. Looks like a cool guy.. *Thumbs up* But its like.. ZOMG ANIME ALFRED ASHFORD!

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
But..... NESS!! But.... YYG! :(

I want Ness to stay along with all of his melee intricacies(YYG included). Maybe fix certain things on him(PSI magnet JCable, tone down the wind-down lag of PK fire and add more range, etc...). If Lucas is in the game, I'd like him to have an original moveset. Maybe make him a compliment to ness's playstyle.

Top Bottom