• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lucario Social: Aura Dog Days of Summer

smbmaster99MFGG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
smbmaster99
The Lucarios I meet online are few and far between, but they're more often than not not all that great xP I've only ever had two matches with a good Lucario (different person each time), but all the rest haven't been quite as good and make a bunch of mistakes. There's only one other Lucario player in my area, but I can't remember his name :c But it's obvious most people online don't run into many Lucarios (or at least many good ones). Players who use characters who can reflect projectiles I fake out all the time and then hit them with AS at a later, more opportune time, and they almost always forget Lucario can counter xP

It makes me kinda sad for Sexy Aura Dog because so many people look over or talk trash about him, but I'm in agreement that the less exposure Lucario gets the more surprise factor we have on our side =P

(also, like the new thread name =P)

Last edited:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Yeah, i'm completely selfish in wanting less Lucario mains.
Maybe I should rephrase. More lucario mains are fine. Just so long as the character doesn't get massive exposure.

At a high level this character plays EXTREMELY different from others in both the way he moves and puts on the pressure, but it works. And it'll continue to work even when people do figure him out. But the less match up knowledge, the better. That goes for any character.

Maybe the floof itself is evil? Goodness and freedom are bald?
Kirby confirmed for the good-est thing in the universe?

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
No more evil because I decided to go for a chocolate break.

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
Yeah, i'm completely selfish in wanting less Lucario mains.
Maybe I should rephrase. More lucario mains are fine. Just so long as the character doesn't get massive exposure.
Having more serious Lucario mains can have its perks. There's a higher chance of finding out new things.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
No more evil because I decided to go for a chocolate break.
What will happen when the world runs out of chocolate? Are we all doomed?

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Having more serious Lucario mains can have its perks. There's a higher chance of finding out new things.

Word. I think we have lucario 90% figured out already though, tech wise.

There's just not much left for me tbh.
Outside of like.
Just fighting more opponents.
Learning match up specific things.
Ect.

OH.
And like.
Baiting airdodges into b-airs.
That especially.

Holy ****, I thankfully just found a IRL training partner after the 4 or so years of playing this game competitively. ****ing thank god. I can finally do my set ups on someone without lag. Amen.

Had a huge training session with a few people from the smash scene. Went from 6pm in the morning til 6am with no break. ****ing intense. Need to do this more often.

Marty.

Smash Cadet
NNID
Z4157M
Lucario is a quite difficult character to main. Unlike Sonic, Diddy, and others you can't just pick up Lucario and do well with him. It takes time, time people would rather not take.

In Dabuz's tier list he's in D-Tier, a place he's never been in, as you can see either people are loosing interest in Lucario or Lucario is becoming a less competitive character compared to others. There is a star on Lucario implying Lucario is only "good" if he has customs. Trela did amazing techs and explored Lucario very well in Brawl but now he doesn't even main him anymore.

The only way Lucario can increase his competitive play is if people take to explore him (like they do with Pac-Man, Bowser, Falcon, etc.) and find out new things about him. So if you want Lucario to increase in skill keep exploring, try new techs that seem illogical at first, like doing Extreme Speed towards an opponent.

Timbah

Smash Cadet
Word. I think we have lucario 90% figured out already though, tech wise.
I hope not. They more we don't know yet, the more room for improvement we have!

Lucario is a quite difficult character to main. Unlike Sonic, Diddy, and others you can't just pick up Lucario and do well with him. It takes time, time people would rather not take.

In Dabuz's tier list he's in D-Tier, a place he's never been in, as you can see either people are loosing interest in Lucario or Lucario is becoming a less competitive character compared to others.
lol @ the star on Lucario but not on Rosalina or Shulk. I wish we had a custom counter that killed at 60%.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Ew what?
What is this?

This is wrong. Placement aside, what proof is there currently that dictates that Lucario does better in a custom environment with his ho-hum customs over his default set? That implies his customs are somehow better then the rest of the casts in a custom environment and outside of very specific match ups i'm just not seeing it.

Granted our customs are very unexplored, but I doubt he knows something we don't. Tbh our default moveset is just very well rounded in general.

A KO out of grab, that operates as a long distance poke and roll//spotdodge punish
a counter that acts as a gap closer against projectiles.
An up-b with absurd distance and control
and basically the best long range punishing nuetral-b in the game.

I know gravity aurasphere destroys sonic on any stage you can camp under a platform, piercing does well against Villager, Rosa and a few other projectile based characters, and the glancing counter may be useful against jugglers...possibility. But that's it. Is that enough to make a difference I wonder...?

I hope not. They more we don't know yet, the more room for improvement we have!

I only say this when it comes to tech of course. as far as tech goes, anything aurasphere related seems to be absurdly useful. A few peices of brawl tech converted over as well such as 1st frame force palm. I feel like tech skill wise we already know a lot in comparison to most characters thanks to techs that just converted over from brawl. As far as general gameplay and match up specific movement and options go, I believe we still have a lot of learning to do. So no worries. = w=

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607

In Dabuz's tier list he's in D-Tier, a place he's never been in, as you can see either people are loosing interest in Lucario or Lucario is becoming a less competitive character compared to others. There is a star on Lucario implying Lucario is only "good" if he has customs. Trela did amazing techs and explored Lucario very well in Brawl but now he doesn't even main him anymore.

The only way Lucario can increase his competitive play is if people take to explore him (like they do with Pac-Man, Bowser, Falcon, etc.) and find out new things about him. So if you want Lucario to increase in skill keep exploring, try new techs that seem illogical at first, like doing Extreme Speed towards an opponent.
@ Dabuz Dabuz Have you even played any good Lucarios? Do you know what he even does?

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977

"Lacking"

what even...

Rysir

NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387

Uh huh. Even though I like some of lucario's customs I can say with ease that they dont have tier bumping influence at all. If anything other than using 1 or 2 customs at once, custom lucario would actually drop a tier.

The sleeping is so real here.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Tbh I can't really blame the lack of knowledge here.

What has a Lucario actually done so far that got a decent amount of notice outside of Steams set with M2K?
We're all kinda stuck on our own little secluded islands atm...

I love this image.

Last edited:

Marty.

Smash Cadet
NNID
Z4157M
Lucario is definitely an underrated character. People don't realize how powerful Lucario becomes after 80%

Marty.

Smash Cadet
NNID
Z4157M
Kami being the best Lucario in the world right is amazing considering his usage of a Wii remote and nunchuck

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
No no no you should be thanking Dabuz, maybe we will see some buffs if every1 gets the impression that Lucario is bad.

Last edited:

Rysir

NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
No no no you should be thanking Dabuz, maybe we will see some buffs if every1 gets the impression that Lucario is bad.
Pretty sure it has to be a japanese tier list for it to even begin to have influence.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
@ Trela Trela No, stahp, get your smug self out of here.

Steam

Smash Hero
The biggest travesty of @ Dabuz Dabuz 's tier list isn't that Lucario is one spot above ganondorf and lower than ike. It's that he has the blue star for better with customs when all of his customs are bad except for like one aurasphere variant which is situational at best and still only good in like 5 matchups. Lucario definitely belongs higher than D tier though, he has too high breadth of options and too much obnoxious stuff like ASC > upsmash or the ASC ledge option select.

@ Trela Trela - please come back to us :(

Last edited:

Marty.

Smash Cadet
NNID
Z4157M
The biggest travesty of @ Dabuz Dabuz 's tier list isn't that Lucario is one spot above ganondorf and lower than ike. It's that he has the blue star for better with customs when all of his customs are bad except for like one aurasphere variant which is situational at best and still only good in like 5 matchups. Lucario definitely belongs higher than D tier though, he has too high breadth of options and too much obnoxious stuff like ASC > upsmash or the ASC ledge option select.
ASC alone is a viable reason why Lucario should be higher, though Nair and ES (If used correctly) work as well

Croi

Smash Lord
Everyone is too pessimistic. Lucario should be A tier. And I think Duck Hunt should be A tier. Everyone is A tier. Now everyone is good and everyone is having fun.
- Sakurai, 2015

Rysir

NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Everyone is too pessimistic. Lucario should be A tier. And I think Duck Hunt should be A tier. Everyone is A tier. Now everyone is good and everyone is having fun.
- Sakurai, 2015
Sakurai confirmed the Oprah of Smash?

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Ryu's low forward into hadoken is a safe blockstring. I mean down tilt to neutral b is safe on shield.

So if Roy keeps his Melee gimmick, Lucina might even become worse than she already is.

Top Bottom