• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Well at least I have this as an avi so I dont have to rowwy about it not being used. Heh
Still think it's weird these iconsa rent more popular avatars. Only seen one shulk one on twitter and me and one daisy on discord, but no one else
all I saw were Little Macs everywhere... and one Bayonetta.
ForGlory.Txt
:061:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
It seems to me that Ridley's design is still based off the Other M model, but it's actually done well. I point to the Spikes in Ridley's head and the patterning on Ridley's wings.
It's def a weird hybridization of a lot of traits from various Ridleys, it's kinda wild.

Smooth Criminal

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
I strongly recommend forgiving him and actually thanking him for giving Ridley so much publicity, but for your viewing pleasure...

Merry Christmas, folks. ;)
lol shokio got what he deserved.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm so glad Ridley doesn't look too much like his Other M design

Buffley

Those massive arms

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Nah. Ther is stil more to do.

Now we practice Ridley until our thumbs bleed to make him the best smash character ever
:062:
Honestly, I could see the dedication of Ridley fans getting him to a moderately high tier based on sheer determination and stubbornness, even if he did hypothetically turn out to be less than absolutely stellar. Not bad mind you, but maybe turning out to be a character that's demonstrably not as good as the top tiers.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Forgot to come here right after the reveal.

But **** YES. Feels so satisfying after all that Smash 4 stuff. So happy it’s finally done and there is a happy ending.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It seems to me that Ridley's design is still based off the Other M model, but it's actually done well. I point to the Spikes in Ridley's head and the patterning on Ridley's wings.
It's an amalgation of three designs: Super Metroid, Zero Mission and Other M.

Super Metroid for the color and head, Zero Mission for proportions, Other M for a lot of the details.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The long head seems to come from Other M but thankfully he has his usual snout and not the duckbill. It really is a strange (but welcome) mixup of everything.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
It's kinda weird that I actually want Pyrosphere to return now that Ridley is cemented as a playable character. I can already picture an event match where you have to defeat Roidley playing as Ridley under the effect of a Poison Mushroom.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm still in awe about Ridley being in, I keep up on binge watching Smash Ultimate footage of him and he looks so much fun to play as! And I'm totally digging the way he looks, the animations look so on point. Just this scene here alone makes him seem really lively:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Hey all! Just got around to coming back here after the BIG reveal. Oh my goodness!

I think this is the best characterisation of Ridley's fierceness and savagery. I mean just look at this one thing from the trailer:
tenor-13.gif

There is just so much attitude, it's great!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I really dig the long head because it makes him look Alien-like and even more menacing. The lank body, the almost decaying skin... Such a good redesign overall.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero

Alt colours for Ridley.

Betatech

Smash Apprentice
21:00 both confirmed omg he can command grab (side b) in the air to grab people on the floor.
https://youtu.be/Zi_qi7dPmeA

Not sure if he can grab people in the air if both are airbourne.
https://youtu.be/6kYVxTyr0LY?t=45s at about 45 - 55 seconds in you can see m2k grab the inkling player whilst both are in the air. it seems to act similar to ganondorfs side b (although you can seemingly break out of this one or cancel it). id imagine he drags people along the floor if he caught the player above the ground and they fall onto it but at least this specific part of the footage doesn't show that.

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965

Alt colours for Ridley.
The Zero Mission alt is my favorite.:)

Kroconut

Smash Cadet
Congratulations Ridley fans!!! I am so ecstatic and still in shock to see this long overdue icon finally make it in. You guys have all been through the worst, but in the end, all was right. So spectacular. I hope this is a good sign for King K. Rool :)

Reila

Oh, I just noticed the blue one references the X-parasite Ridley clone from Fusion. More nostalgia.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Alt references:
  1. Default
  2. Super Metroid box art
  3. Ridley-X / Neo Ridley
  4. Metroid Zero Mission concept artwork
  5. NES sprite
  6. Charizard (It's a bit difficult to tell, the colours seem off, but that's because it was taken from off screen camera footage)
  7. Mecha Ridley / Ridley Robot
  8. Sub Space Emissary boss (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
  9. Meta Ridley (Costume alt)

Chrollo.

fka president wario
For the record, Hbox said that Ridley is busted on Twitter, which means that he’s really ****ing good or at worst broken. So I think the problem with people playing with Ridley is purely how people are playing him, not to mention Ridley being combo bait like every other big character.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Current standing of characters confirmed/disconfirmed.
1528979365775.png

I was not expecting Ridley of all people to get confirmed, but I am not complaining.

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
Alt references:
  1. Default
  2. Super Metroid box art
  3. Ridley-X / Neo Ridley
  5. NES sprite
  6. Charizard (It's a bit difficult to tell, the colours seem off, but that's because it was taken from off screen camera footage)
Yeah I'm pretty sure that #6 is based on the golden Ridley statue from Super Metroid.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
BTW, here's Ridleys Official Trailer.

Like before it has its own unique name. "A Piercing Screech" Quite fitting for Ridley given some of the noises he's made over the years.

I hope this means every newcomer going forward get a unique trailer like before

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Alt references:
  1. Default
  2. Super Metroid box art
  3. Ridley-X / Neo Ridley
  5. NES sprite
I can't see them going with just 9 when Little Mac has 16

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
It's def a weird hybridization of a lot of traits from various Ridleys, it's kinda wild.

Smooth Criminal
Yeah it's like a composite of Super, ZM, Fusion, and Clone Roidley.

Alt references:
  1. Default
  2. Super Metroid box art
  3. Ridley-X / Neo Ridley
  5. NES sprite
I think 6 might be Golden Statue Ridley or the decayed Ridley corpse from Fusion, but it's most likely the former.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice

Like before it has its own unique name. "A Piercing Screech" Quite fitting for Ridley given some of the noises he's made over the years.

A Piercing Screech
Is this a Metroid Fusion reference? :3c

Last edited:

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
For the record, Hbox said that Ridley is busted on Twitter, which means that he’s really ****ing good or at worst broken. So I think the problem with people playing with Ridley is purely how people are playing him, not to mention Ridley being combo bait like every other big character.
From the vids I've seen, people seem to always be on the defensive with Ridley. Now I'm no competitive player by any stretch, but is the right playstyle for him supposed to be all out offense? Put pressure on the opponent?

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
From the vids I've seen, people seem to always be on the defensive with Ridley. Now I'm no competitive player by any stretch, but is the right playstyle for him supposed to be all out offense? Put pressure on the opponent?
I think it's because the game has a lot of characters people already know how to use, while everyone's still figuring out Ridley, so the Ridley players play safer/take less risks because they don't know when they are able to.

However considering his speed I would assume he's a very offensive character. Seems like a character that is constantly chasing you, which fits him as a character. He can't really camp with his projectile and low-range aerials it seems (except nair, that's HUGE).

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Has anyone seen aerial Down Special in a video? Seems obvious it would be a downward tail stab, but I've seen some claims it's not.

I also want to see what happens when you use Side Special and there's a wall ahead. I'm hoping Ridley slams the opponent into the wall and then throws them like in that one boss battle.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I think it's because the game has a lot of characters people already know how to use, while everyone's still figuring out Ridley, so the Ridley players play safer/take less risks because they don't know when they are able to.

However considering his speed I would assume he's a very offensive character. Seems like a character that is constantly chasing you, which fits him as a character. He can't really camp with his projectile and low-range aerials it seems (except nair, that's HUGE).
His moveset looks aggressive as hell. From his side b, to his down B, his aerials, his smash attacks... Really the only thing that would fit a campy style would be his Neutral B, but I feel that would be an edge guarding tool more than anything. I’m not that big into competitive so I can be wrong tho. But like vVv Rapture said, a lot of people seem to be playing it safe with him which is why he’s been getting beat a lot. But when Ridley hits, he HITS.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
His moveset looks aggressive as hell. From his side b, to his down B, his aerials, his smash attacks... Really the only thing that would fit a campy style would be his Neutral B, but I feel that would be an edge guarding tool more than anything. I’m not that big into competitive so I can be wrong tho. But like vVv Rapture said, a lot of people seem to be playing it safe with him which is why he’s been getting beat a lot. But when Ridley hits, he HITS.
Yeah I'm really looking forward to when the game's release and players can really take him for a ride, bc I think he's going to be super scary. He's like a faster Bowser with multiple jumps lol

Reila

Sounds good.

That Metroid Fusion Ridley screech definitely pierced my hearing.

Top Bottom