• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
X3 And belated Thank you, IronTed!

That confuses me so much...why would they exclude Dark Samus' theme when she's freakin' there? I would have taken her Prime 3 theme over the Other M Ridley one, since I prefer the Nintendo Land version when it comes to a more orchestral-like rendition.
The music selection in the game is kind of odd, for sure. For Kirby, we got both the final boss themes from Triple Deluxe, which is great, but from Planet Robobot we only get one theme from the first stage and the theme when Kirby has the power armor, but neither of its amazing final boss themes. Instead, we get the Dedede's Drum Dash version of CROWNED and the main theme from Kirby Battle Royale. What?

At least it's one of the things that can hopefully be simply resolved later through modding. Although I know that adding music in Smash 4 was pretty tricky; I never got around to doing it. Though since this game is so much more popular, I imagine the methods and tools that are developed will be much better.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
The music selection in the game is kind of odd, for sure. For Kirby, we got both the final boss themes from Triple Deluxe, which is great, but from Planet Robobot we only get one theme from the first stage and the theme when Kirby has the power armor, but neither of its amazing final boss themes. Instead, we get the Dedede's Drum Dash version of CROWNED and the main theme from Kirby Battle Royale. What?

At least it's one of the things that can hopefully be simply resolved later through modding. Although I know that adding music in Smash 4 was pretty tricky; I never got around to doing it. Though since this game is so much more popular, I imagine the methods and tools that are developed will be much better.
Yeah, that's true... :< But still, why couldn't they put the better themes from the get-go? SPECIALLY Dark Samus'.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The awesome new Parasite Queen theme remix almost makes up for Dark Samus’, almost...

In case this is considered a spoiler,

43BC993A-3FC7-44B1-AEB2-11D07FFF20F3.jpeg

Kraid having his own dojo is uh, something.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Finally got Smash, wanted some shots of both eyes.

2018121421180000-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

Riddles actually looks quite intimidating when roaring.

2018121316251100-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

Here he looks disappointed in my life choices.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
Metroid music selection and remixing really peaked in Brawl. Ending (Metroid) and Theme of Samus Aran are absolute masterpieces, and the ripped tracks were also great picks. Ultimate's rips and remixes also good... but there's so few of them! Lots of missed opportunities like Vs. Dark Samus, Surface of SR388, and Diggernaut.
(plus the remixes are all of tracks that already appeared in Smash games)
(but hey at least we finally got Lower Norfair/Magmoor Caverns, am I right?)
(also Ridley and Dark Samus are fighters so can't really complain)
(I digress)

Last edited:

AndreaAC

View attachment 183006

View attachment 183007

xD He looks freakin' adorable. There's something about looking at Ridley's face from the front in any of his designs that always crack me up...
ULTIMATE FORMS.png

And it's great to know that one of my favorite forms of Ridley and my used-to-be least favorite aspect of Roidley's evolution cycle are in the same game. xD It's like the Universe listens. And I honestly cannot wait to think more stuff for my precious Ridley Bros. when I get the game at some point. :>

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm at the endgame of World Of Light, and within the last 25 hours of playtime, this is easily the coolest thing that's happened:

Metroidvania villain deathmatch. Enter Ridley Belmont.

I like to think Ridley was mad enough being imprisoned in Dracula's Castle that he went on a rampage.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yep, something I never thought I’d experience either. Just didn’t want to talk about it right away because spoilers, but him being unlocked at Dracula’s castle was something I couldn’t of been happier with, followed by doing the castle puzzles as him and fighting Dracula. True “Metroidvania”. =p That and the Kongo Jungle recreation of DKC1 were the best subworlds of WoL by far.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Ah, so Ridley is unlockable in WoL? I've heard that some characters are unavailable in that mode.
I think every character is available in World of Light, except for Cloud because... Square Enix most likely. If I remember correctly, Sakurai, Nintendo and Co. were barely just able to get Cloud back.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I think every character is available in World of Light, except for Cloud because... Square Enix most likely. If I remember correctly, Sakurai, Nintendo and Co. were barely just able to get Cloud back.
No, you can still get Cloud. He’s in the World of Dark area.

StormC

Smash Hero
Every character is definitely available.

The whole "Cloud isn't in WOL" misinfo that spread is really bizarre, because you need Cloud to beat the game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Every character is definitely available.

The whole "Cloud isn't in WOL" misinfo that spread is really bizarre, because you need Cloud to beat the game.
Well, I guess the World Of Dark info wasn't widely known at the time, and the phrase is technically true with that in mind...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know there's over 70 characters, but I wish WoL lets you unlock some of the newcomers sooner. I mean, I never expected Ridley to be the third or fourth character you unlock, but I'm disappointed you can't get him sooner.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

View attachment 183006

View attachment 183007

Hm, wonder what his Meta Ridley skin looks like from that angle. Because the classic Ridley design was meant for 2D (Super Metroid, Zero Mission/Fusion, etc.) whereas Meta Ridley was designed in 3D, so maybe he looks a bit less... derpy.

Neat. I look forward to finding him when I get there.
He's in the weirdest freaking spot. You can't miss him, so you'll be surprised when you find him.

I know there's over 70 characters, but I wish WoL lets you unlock some of the newcomers sooner. I mean, I never expected Ridley to be the third or fourth character you unlock, but I'm disappointed you can't get him sooner.
Dark Samus is one of the last characters you can get, which was annoying. So's R.O.B. At least Ridley is about halfway through.

In general, WoL took me about 20 hours to 100% complete, which is way heftier than I first anticipated. That's not counting the couple hours I spent scouring the map for the last two spirits I'd missed, because there's an oversight with the way the map shows completion for sub-areas, so I had to ask on Reddit about it and thankfully someone informed me of that and I was able to go check. I would've done every challenge as soon as I saw it and save myself from that problem, but I wanted to see the end first.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Hm, wonder what his Meta Ridley skin looks like from that angle. Because the classic Ridley design was meant for 2D (Super Metroid, Zero Mission/Fusion, etc.) whereas Meta Ridley was designed in 3D, so maybe he looks a bit less... derpy.
What eyes?
2018121423104500-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

Also if I ever get the animation chops, I want to reanimate the Samus/Ridley cutscene in Other M only with this lil gremlin.
2018121508381000-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Before I would usually just DM anyone who asks about a Ridley discord link or who I think might be interested, but since I've kept forgetting to do that after awhile with people who still post around asking about one here and there, I guess I'll just do this, even though I don't really like to advertise publicly.

This is a perma-link (won't expire) to the server I started around the beginning of the year prior to when Smash for the Switch started being speculated. Mostly consists of the social circle of supporters from the pre-Brawl and SSB4 days and we're usually pretty chill, though not that competitive, but keep tabs on Ridley metagame stuff here and there now.

https://discord.gg/sjA24us

This is a link to what pretty much became the official Ridleycord (to my knowledge) which was made shortly after his E3 reveal and will probably be more your thing if the first server isn't to your liking much.

https://discord.gg/bdzFkMN

Not actually sure which one was linked in the original post before it expired, so went with linking both just in case.

*I still like to see a decent amount of forum activity here too, even if more people generally prefer discord or other platforms nowadays. Any new folks who happen to join either server I would still encourage to browse/post around here too.

That all aside, holy crap, this trained amiibo here...

Like how even it knows to make a habit of using n-air.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
starting to be a little discouraged, not getting any better and I keep killing myself with his recovery :(

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
^ Have you tried/practiced reverse up B any which puts you at greater heights? Or use side B any for recoving? Doesn’t put you in freefall like Ganondorf’s. With those plus three jumps, his recovery takes some work getting accustomed, but is manageable.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
^ Have you tried/practiced reverse up B any which puts you at greater heights? Or use side B any for recoving? Doesn’t put you in freefall like Ganondorf’s. With those plus three jumps, his recovery takes some work getting accustomed, but is manageable.
thanks I prob need to try at it some more :)

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
starting to be a little discouraged, not getting any better and I keep killing myself with his recovery :(
Recover low man. If you get blasted high and far you can side b first and get right up on the stage and recover straight up. Ridley's recovery options are pretty reliable when you avoid using attempting up-b at 45 degree angles.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Perhaps I'm overthinking this, but I'm curious as to what long term effects (if any) Ridley's playability in Ultimate will have on the character. He was ubiquitous before (in Metroid), and certainly appeared in numerous non-Metroid titles, but being playable (and the sole new character reveal at E3) has really pushed him to a new level, especially with how Ultimate will reach far more people than any Smash game has in history. Will they just keep Ridley how he is, a penultimate boss and important antagonist, or try to flesh him out in different ways? And is it possible that he's included in other spin-off games down the line as well?

AndreaAC

Will they just keep Ridley how he is, a penultimate boss and important antagonist, or try to flesh him out in different ways? And is it possible that he's included in other spin-off games down the line as well?
Whatever they do, hopefully it will do him great justice, I mean, just by seeing the merch possibilities and the ones that have came out like the Amiibo or the ones in development like that Prime 1 Meta Ridley statue, it has been definitely something great. It would be nice to see him in other kind of spinoff titles other than Smash, but I would have to think which one would work. xD And well, at least he has been a Final Boss once, that is something.

What I just wouldn't want Nintendo to do is to try again the whole "Idea of how he began" when it comes to him as a creature, like, again, the whole evolution cycle and stuff, which, I said I don't mind it on Roidley, but I will never consider it to be how the actual Ridley originated. Ever. Maybe I would take something like Ubisoft did where they made a game seen from the Other Side's perspective (From a Templar's perspective instead of an Assassin's), with Ridley being the one that you command, along with the Pirates being a significant part instead of Samus and the Feds being there sometimes. I dunno how that could work, but who knows?

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Perhaps I'm overthinking this, but I'm curious as to what long term effects (if any) Ridley's playability in Ultimate will have on the character. He was ubiquitous before (in Metroid), and certainly appeared in numerous non-Metroid titles, but being playable (and the sole new character reveal at E3) has really pushed him to a new level, especially with how Ultimate will reach far more people than any Smash game has in history. Will they just keep Ridley how he is, a penultimate boss and important antagonist, or try to flesh him out in different ways? And is it possible that he's included in other spin-off games down the line as well?
I think it's possible he might take on the role of Final Boss more often nowadays considering he was made into one in the remake of Metroid II. I dunno if he'll become any more significant in the narrative, since Metroid games have always been sparse in story-telling, but at the very least he won't be going away any time soon.

As for spin-offs of him in a playable role, eh, I seriously doubt that. If Bowser hasn't gotten his own stand-alone title yet (Bowser's Inside Story doesn't count since the Mario Bros. still play a major role as playable characters), I don't think Ridley would get one before him.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think the obvious effect this will have is that Ridley likely won't miss out on a Metroid game again, at the very least not any time soon. When people pick up a game from a series in Smash, they expect to see the characters they know, this is most evident with the constant confusion around Fire Emblem and the many "Is Marth/Roy/Ike/etc in this game?" questions, so regardless of how convoluted the excuses they find are, I don't expect we'll see a repeat of Metroid II or Prime 2. Obviously we know this won't hold true for Dark Samus, but Ridley is presented as the primary antagonist, so there'll be a bigger expectation to see him, just having him in trailers will catch people's eyes.

Smash's character designs often influence the original series as well, so I don't think we'll see Ridley's future designs deviate from the Smash color palette and the Other M tail tip. Of course with the Prime series happening when it does we'll still see Meta Ridley, but I still expect to see some elements of his Smash design incorporated. With how Smash has made him express his personality more than any other game, I also think we could see them dial up Ridley's cruelty in the games, and as a result maybe he'll engage in combat with more characters than just Samus to show the threat he poses.

Of course official merchandise is likely also going to increase, Ridley's in the big time now, so things with him will sell much more now.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think it's possible he might take on the role of Final Boss more often nowadays considering he was made into one in the remake of Metroid II. I dunno if he'll become any more significant in the narrative, since Metroid games have always been sparse in story-telling, but at the very least he won't be going away any time soon.

As for spin-offs of him in a playable role, eh, I seriously doubt that. If Bowser hasn't gotten his own stand-alone title yet (Bowser's Inside Story doesn't count since the Mario Bros. still play a major role as playable characters), I don't think Ridley would get one before him.
To say nothing of how such a game would most likely be rated M.

I think the obvious effect this will have is that Ridley likely won't miss out on a Metroid game again, at the very least not any time soon. When people pick up a game from a series in Smash, they expect to see the characters they know, this is most evident with the constant confusion around Fire Emblem and the many "Is Marth/Roy/Ike/etc in this game?" questions, so regardless of how convoluted the excuses they find are, I don't expect we'll see a repeat of Metroid II or Prime 2. Obviously we know this won't hold true for Dark Samus, but Ridley is presented as the primary antagonist, so there'll be a bigger expectation to see him, just having him in trailers will catch people's eyes.

Smash's character designs often influence the original series as well, so I don't think we'll see Ridley's future designs deviate from the Smash color palette and the Other M tail tip. Of course with the Prime series happening when it does we'll still see Meta Ridley, but I still expect to see some elements of his Smash design incorporated. With how Smash has made him express his personality more than any other game, I also think we could see them dial up Ridley's cruelty in the games, and as a result maybe he'll engage in combat with more characters than just Samus to show the threat he poses.

Of course official merchandise is likely also going to increase, Ridley's in the big time now, so things with him will sell much more now.
Other M did show glimpses of Ridley engaging characters other than Samus. He certainly doesn't go for clean kills if he can help it, and it displays the manga tendency to make himself seem less intelligent/threatening than he appears to those who don't know better.

What I think they'll bring over from Ultimate Ridley is the emphasis on his tail's killing power demonstrated in Skewer. I notice his tail use in the Prime games is surprisingly sparse, from here on out there could more deliberate use of it in combat, especially in the form of stabbing (inflicting massive damage and/or pushback depending on how strong Samus's armour is).

AndreaAC

bored.png

"HA HA HA! Oh Geez, can you believe it, Silly One? The secretary dog got so annoying to the point that EVEN the Jerk Hand tossed her at us to turn her into a brochette! That's a lot better than to getting blamed for everything bad that happens in this damned place!"

"YAY~! Way to go, Big Bro!"

"Hey, how about we go drop this thing into the trash can and then we go get some lunch? Maybe that big derping fish from The Summit?"

"...Ohhh, THAT'S A LOTTA FISH! Yes please, Big Bro!"

xD I saw the Isabelle glitches and...she needed to be stopped, urgently.

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
To say nothing of how such a game would most likely be rated M.
I'd totally be down for an M-rated Metroid game. Corruption felt like it wanted to be rated M, especially with the sequences on board the Valhalla, but was held back by its T-rating. Plus, Nintendo seems to be trying to establish a stronger position in the gaming industry lately, and making Metroid into their flagship M-rated series would draw in a whole new demographic of players.

(and pls let Samus have a melee attack move)

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'd totally be down for an M-rated Metroid game. Corruption felt like it wanted to be rated M, especially with the sequences on board the Valhalla, but was held back by its T-rating. Plus, Nintendo seems to be trying to establish a stronger position in the gaming industry lately, and making Metroid into their flagship M-rated series would draw in a whole new demographic of players.

(and pls let Samus have a melee attack move)
I mean, the carnage on display there was frankly as far as one could take it before getting tasteless? We have the classic Metroid victim husks that oddly went ignored in the first two Primes, those two Phazon consumed Marines and one that has a blade planted in his gut. I get it's very reminiscent of Dead Space in a lot of ways, but we're super-powered Samus Aran, not jittery engineer Isaac Clarke.

Making Metroid M-rated would just amount to upping the gore, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about them doing that just to get a higher rating. Games like Doom and Mortal Kombat have it as a core part of their identities, so doing it for Metroid after all this time would feel pretty tacked on.

That is, unless they put more emphasis on Ridley, who is known for cruelty and ultra-violence, especially after Ultimate where his manga personality has been laid bare for all to see.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
I mean, the carnage on display there was frankly as far as one could take it before getting tasteless? We have the classic Metroid victim husks that oddly went ignored in the first two Primes, those two Phazon consumed Marines and one that has a blade planted in his gut. I get it's very reminiscent of Dead Space in a lot of ways, but we're super-powered Samus Aran, not jittery engineer Isaac Clarke.

Making Metroid M-rated would just amount to upping the gore, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about them doing that just to get a higher rating. Games like Doom and Mortal Kombat have it as a core part of their identities, so doing it for Metroid after all this time would feel pretty tacked on.

That is, unless they put more emphasis on Ridley, who is known for cruelty and ultra-violence, especially after Ultimate where his manga personality has been laid bare for all to see.
Yeah, I agree that gore for gore's sake like in Doom is pretty bland. I was just thinking of some realism-enhancing stuff that just by its nature edges the game towards an M-rating. Like showing off more Ridley action, having a reasonable amount of blood, enemy corpses that don't disappear after killing them, and generally upping the scare factor on the enemies (think about some of the monsters from especially the 2D games. Those things would be absolutely terrifying in 3D, HD Ultra-realism)

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Mother Brain with her mechanical body from Super Metroid would have been an amazing boss in Classic mode. Classic mode is a big improvement over 4 and I like the different themes for each character. Plus the bosses are very challenging. Even the Hands are no slouch and I have come close a couple of times to getting an intensity of 9.9. Though I have yet to touch the World of Light.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, I agree that gore for gore's sake like in Doom is pretty bland. I was just thinking of some realism-enhancing stuff that just by its nature edges the game towards an M-rating. Like showing off more Ridley action, having a reasonable amount of blood, enemy corpses that don't disappear after killing them, and generally upping the scare factor on the enemies (think about some of the monsters from especially the 2D games. Those things would be absolutely terrifying in 3D, HD Ultra-realism)
I'm pretty sure corpses disappear for overflow reasons, not because they're disturbing to look at. Otherwise preset ones wouldn't have been strewn all over the place. Some Pirates can also be seen bleeding out in the first Prime (along with severe gashes).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yep, though I remember hearing that they didn't make the Pirate's blood red there to deliberately avoid an M rating. Let's not forget too how much the clone Ridley bled green in Other M. Having different color alien blood is all it takes to avoid an M rating in some cases I guess.

On another note, vengeance never looked so sweet.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
I can see gore being utilized when it comes to the corpses Ridley would make. Not Doom levels of say a pool of blood but deep gashes and cuts would go a long way in showcasing Ridley's viciousness in a solid environmental storytelling way. Otherwise I don't really see it have much of a place in Metroid, like mentioned earlier it would cause it to lose a bit of it's identity in favor of being more like most M rated shooters. It should be used sparingly, so it actually has purpose rather than just being an expected part of the game. Whenever Kirby brings out blood it's usually pretty shocking, (although that probably is mainly due to the cutesy nature of the game's theming) so if they added blood Metroid should aspire to utilize it like that

AndreaAC

I can see gore being utilized when it comes to the corpses Ridley would make. Not Doom levels of say a pool of blood but deep gashes and cuts would go a long way in showcasing Ridley's viciousness in a solid environmental storytelling way. Otherwise I don't really see it have much of a place in Metroid, like mentioned earlier it would cause it to lose a bit of it's identity in favor of being more like most M rated shooters. It should be used sparingly, so it actually has purpose rather than just being an expected part of the game. Whenever Kirby brings out blood it's usually pretty shocking, (although that probably is mainly due to the cutesy nature of the game's theming) so if they added blood Metroid should aspire to utilize it like that
:> That would look cool indeed. But I feel Metroid doesn't need to be that gory much. I mean, heck, the G.F.S Valhalla with all the bodies, and even some impaled ones as far as I remember, plus the music and environment were scary enough as they were, and it wasn't that detailed, but just imagining what had happened to everyone, on both sides, gave me shivers. xD And finding desintegrating corpses of Pirates that tried to escape from Phazon Metroids on Elysia also scared the heck out of me the first time.

Last edited:

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
:> That would look cool indeed. But I feel Metroid doesn't need to be that gory much. I mean, heck, the G.F.S Valhalla with all the bodies, and even some impaled ones as far as I remember, plus the music and environment were scary enough as they were, and it wasn't that detailed, but just imagining what had happened to everyone, on both sides, gave me shivers. xD And finding desintegrating corpses of Pirates that tried to escape from Phazon Metroids on Elysia also scared the heck out of me the first time.
Oh absolutely, those both are perfect examples of really good, creepy environmental storytelling, and if it kept it that way I'd have no quarrels whatsoever. Was moreso just thinking how gore could be utilized if at all in Metroid :p
There's plenty of ways to show brutality and absolute annihilation without gore, gore's just the easiest to think with

Top Bottom