• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So with the Direct officially happening tomorrow what are you all hoping for?

Personally I just want some details about the online and what their long term plans with it are, I'm not expecting to hear about anything Metroid-related, and I can still wait a while for that anyways, I don't want things to be revealed too far in advance. As far as Smash related stuff goes I'm fine as is of course, but I'd love if Skull Kid is revealed.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

Personally I just want some details about the online and what their long term plans with it are, I'm not expecting to hear about anything Metroid-related, and I can still wait a while for that anyways, I don't want things to be revealed too far in advance. As far as Smash related stuff goes I'm fine as is of course, but I'd love if Skull Kid is revealed.
:> I'm honestly expecting nothing extraordinary. xD Of course, a little something about Prime 4 would be nice...at least something to have an idea how it is gonna look. I mean, the whole Prime Trilogy was gorgeous for its time. ;') I do miss playing it and fool around Urtraghus. When it comes to Smash, well, if there's a reveal indeed, I hope some dreams are made. Ones that deserve it.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero

Not necessarily to be announced tomorrow, but:

Metroid Prime Trilogy HD Remaster.
Super Mario Maker 2 / enhanced port with all costumes from previous, plus additional costumes (Ridley, K.Rool, etc).
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate characters reveal: Bandana Waddle Dee, Isaac, Isabelle.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

All I want at this point is a nonclone Zelda newcomer. Ideally Pig Ganon, but Skull Kid I wouldn't mind either.
Anyway, did a case study of sorts where I simplified a bunch of nonhuman fighters (plus some of my wishlist characters) into basic shapes. Love how recognizable they are even then.
1536773575153.png

AndreaAC

All I want at this point is a nonclone Zelda newcomer. Ideally Pig Ganon, but Skull Kid I wouldn't mind either.
Anyway, did a case study of sorts where I simplified a bunch of nonhuman fighters (plus some of my wishlist characters) into basic shapes. Love how recognizable they are even then.
View attachment 163570
These are gonna be the new Fighting Polygon Team. :O

:D Also, great references!

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I was skeptical of seeing anything significant on Smash in the Direct, but apparently blog posts on the site were absent for a little while after Thursday, so apparently we were going to get some stuff and have it brought up in the blog.

People are speculating that due to the nature of the delay (because of an earthquake/natural disaster), it meant that Isaac was going to be announced (since he has some kind of earthquake power, I don't know) or Skull Kid (because the Moon crashing into the Earth is also a form of natural disaster).

So yeah, new character announcement is likely. Maybe another Echo Fighter or two as well. Doubt we'll get anything on Spirits yet, since that'd probably take time to do. I'm still guessing we'll get another dedicated Smash direct in October or November, which will fill in the rest of the blanks.

The only thing I have left to hope for is Chibi-Robo, which ain't happenin'. Though I'd like to see Skull Kid or Geno, even though I'm not as attached to either of those characters. Still haven't played SMRPG.

These are gonna be the new Fighting Polygon Team. :O

:D Also, great references!
That'd actually be pretty genius. The fighting polygon teams in the past have just been reskinned/reworked characters like Mario, Zelda, Captain Falcon, and Kirby, all with pretty standard designs. Making them some more interesting characters, like Ridley and Bowser, would change things up quite a bit.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I was skeptical of seeing anything significant on Smash in the Direct, but apparently blog posts on the site were absent for a little while after Thursday, so apparently we were going to get some stuff and have it brought up in the blog.

People are speculating that due to the nature of the delay (because of an earthquake/natural disaster), it meant that Isaac was going to be announced (since he has some kind of earthquake power, I don't know) or Skull Kid (because the Moon crashing into the Earth is also a form of natural disaster).

So yeah, new character announcement is likely. Maybe another Echo Fighter or two as well. Doubt we'll get anything on Spirits yet, since that'd probably take time to do. I'm still guessing we'll get another dedicated Smash direct in October or November, which will fill in the rest of the blanks.

The only thing I have left to hope for is Chibi-Robo, which ain't happenin'. Though I'd like to see Skull Kid or Geno, even though I'm not as attached to either of those characters. Still haven't played SMRPG.

That'd actually be pretty genius. The fighting polygon teams in the past have just been reskinned/reworked characters like Mario, Zelda, Captain Falcon, and Kirby, all with pretty standard designs. Making them some more interesting characters, like Ridley and Bowser, would change things up quite a bit.
Yes, Isaac does use earth psynergy (magic) by default. But acting like an actual earthquake is a prime opportunity to reveal a character is asinine and insensitive. If Isaac does get revealed it'll most likely just be a horrible coincidence.

I kind of expect them to simply bring back every fighting team throughout the series, fitting the "Everyone is Here!" theme.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
hoping godzilla takes a break this week, I am convinced there is a huge coverup I mean look at all the so called "natural disasters" they have. In other words japan has been having a hard time in the last 5 years

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

I'm definitely expecting a character reveal of some kind and I'm hoping it's either gonna be Skull Kid or Isaac for me. After that, I'm curious to learn more about Nintendo Switch Online and if there'll be enough in it for me to keep investing in it. As for game announcements or showcases, I'm hoping we see more of Yoshi and maybe another teaser for Fire Emblem: Three Houses, but I'm gonna hold on to a risk for more information on Bayonetta 3. It's been nine months since that game was announced, so what happened? please don't be another Half-Life 3 incident
After that, maybe explaining that Daemon X Machina game, - the giant mecha game that they announced at E3 and is kinda being ignored a little. I want to know more about that too.

So I'm just keeping my expectations relatively in check for this upcoming direct.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
If we could get even one single detail about Prime 4, or a screenshot, or a five second teaser, that would be more than enough. Would love that. Otherwise, hoping we get Skull Kid, Isaac, or Banjo & Kazooie lol.

I'd also like to hear more about that mecha game Daemon X Machina too. I also thought that looked hype.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Just a few more hours. Not expecting Prime 4 or anything Ridley-related from this Direct, but that's okay. We can step back and let someone else take the spotlight for a little while.

By the way, have an orange Ridley.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Just a few more hours. Not expecting Prime 4 or anything Ridley-related from this Direct, but that's okay. We can step back and let someone else take the spotlight for a little while.

By the way, have an orange Ridley.

I kinda love how Ridley's Other M cheek spikes have become popular in fanart. Makes me think Ridley has Scottish sideburns.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
So, we now live in a world where in Smash Ridley can brutally murder a cute little dog girl from Animal Crossing. This is the best timeline

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So, we now live in a world where in Smash Ridley can brutally murder a cute little dog girl from Animal Crossing. This is the best timeline
Or we can have a timeline where said little dog girl can murder Ridley. One of the many joys of Smash Bros! ...I think.

Either way, this little 4koma is eerily prophetic.

R.I.P Isabelle.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
honestly This was very underwhelming, all that hype and the reveal is Isabelle who don't seem different enough to not be an echo. I was suspecting somoene a bit more unique not someone who could easily be slapped on as an echo. Heck the reveal trailer was very low budget it seems they just slapped it on the end and called it a day.

Also is it just me or does the smash switch look boring and uninspired compared to the pokemon or other special bundles? the grey remotes just look like the reg remotes with a line threw it and based on the fact they did not show the 3ds back it must be just reg black like the normal ones.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm neutral on Isabelle. Frankly, I just love the sheer artstyle difference present in the new fighters.

1536946969056.png

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Aaaaw. He is like a puppy. A ravaging, dangerous, totalitarian, sadistic, draconic, alien, evil puppy but still a puppy~

:dazwa:.

:bowser:.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I'm neutral on Isabelle. Frankly, I just love the sheer artstyle difference present in the new fighters.

View attachment 164185
Yeah same here. You have super fine details in the skin of Ridley and K. Rool. And then you have Isabelle who is pretty much simple in design. Also, I just noticed that Isabelle has hands and legs like the Powerpuff Girls.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
with all the jabs and jokes they are throwing regarding how different are Isabelle and ridley... we may get the start of a beautiful shipping...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
with all the jabs and jokes they are throwing regarding how different are Isabelle and ridley... we may get the start of a beautiful shipping...
If nothing else, I much prefer seeing these two together than Ridley and Daisy, Star Wars jokes be damned.

AndreaAC

If nothing else, I much prefer seeing these two together than Ridley and Daisy, Star Wars jokes be damned.
Oh, the whole Daisy Ridley jokes...I remember. xD Glad that I developed my own stuff with Ridley and Rosa for years so I can remain calm and keep working on it silently while the rest of the memetastic stuff keeps going.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
Just bought my Switch, bring on Smash and Metroid!

AndreaAC

Just bought my Switch, bring on Smash and Metroid!
:3 Lucky you! Glad you got it!

xD Since it is confirmed that the Pong Assist Trophy is killable (by Ridley in this case), this came to mind;
NIGHTMARE.png

Rids just became Pong's worst nightmare. :p

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Looking at that render makes me wonder if they did have a little more of Proteus Ridley in mind than I first thought.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
Looking at that render makes me wonder if they did have a little more of Proteus Ridley in mind than I first thought.
Yeah definitely the overall aesthetic seems more Proteus just with Prime's design.

AndreaAC

:> YEEE! THANKS, DALEK! And yeah, I am also questioning the tail placement...the default design has it placed...where it should be, I wonder why not in this. BUT WHATEVER! O3O Mor ideas to draw are coming! Now, it makes me wonder, without the metallic stuff, it looks more like SM/not derp Brawl Ridley than Roidley and Rids combined...that would have looked great.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
That looks very nice. I especially love all the details in the head area, like the tubes and the little thingies on his horns.

For whatever reason, seeing that render is the first time I realised how gruesome it would be if we ever saw the full extent of Ridley's battle damage. Damn near looks like the Space Pirates had to put him together piece by piece and craft some parts from scratch.

Top Bottom