• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Loved 64, liked Melee, hated Brawl, will I like this?

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
First of all, I suck at Smash Bros, but I still enjoyed SSB a lot more when it was more competitive. My least fav part of Brawl was that they basically removed hit stun so you couldn't combo anymore. I didn't like how I couldn't perform combos or punish people hard for a dumb mistake. Brawl also felt like bunch of poking / trading hits, resetting, then going back to trying to poke each other.

It doesn't look like there's much hit stun or any significant kill combos in this game either. But how's the game overall? Does it still feel like a poke, reset, poke type of game? I love playing aggressive and keeping the pressure on, so how's the gameplay / pace?

Since Wii U has a $250 bundle next week, I'm considering buying it just for Smash and Mario Kart 8. Last time I bought a Wii just for Brawl, didn't like Brawl and ended up selling my Wii so I'm scared of making the same mistake xD.

Doomstar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Doomstar
3DS FC
3539-9305-4908
I didn't like how I couldn't perform combos or punish people hard for a dumb mistake. Brawl also felt like bunch of poking / trading hits, resetting, then going back to trying to poke each other.
Honestly, based on this alone, I'd think you wouldn't enjoy it much. The game can be that at times. But it can be better than that too.

The game certainly plays faster than Brawl though, with an emphasis on gimping recoveries for early kills and hard read's being much more important. There's a bit more room for offensive play in my eyes(but then that's cause I play Falcon) and in my experience, a match will only go on as long as you let it. Offensive strings are very satisfying to pull off but true combos are sparse. The game is better than Brawl though, with alot of new playstyles to explore and experiment with which was a selling point for me(and functional online). The game is packed with content and an incredible value.

But in the end, since you're talking buying a new console for the game itself, I'm gonna lean towards no with just that criteria(gameplay pacing and hitstun being a bit too low for a good combo game and shield and rolling being just a tad better and annoying options)

PS : If your money wasn't on the line I would still recommend you give this a shot, it's an incredibly fun game that rectifies a lot of Brawls missteps.)

Last edited:

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4 is more Brawl than melee, but it's definitely an improvement.

I bought my Wii U for Mariokart and smash as well, but I ended up getting so much more out of the system, and next year looks great for Nintendo releases.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
If you have a 3DS, you can try out the demo for the 3DS version on the eShop before making a decision.
This.

I personally think SSB4 is the perfect recipe of ease of control and depth of strategy, but I know some Melee vets are not as happy with it. It's definitely not Brawl, but some consider it closer to Brawl than Melee. I would recommend trying the 3DS demo or playing it at a friend's or something before dropping hundreds of dollars on it. But I do think it's quite enjoyable.

Aware.Awake

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamBananas
I personally find the game to be pretty much between Brawl and Melee in terms of the pace of the game. I would pick it up regardless, as there's tons of content and MK8 is great. The Wii U library is solid and is only going to get better.

ZigZagGamer

Smash Cadet
Dude it's your money just buy it if you want to. If you don't feel like spending that much save that money up, simple as that do you really need people on the internet to tell you, heck if you wanted to see what it was like you could've seen that on Youtube.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Just a side note: Nintendo is selling refurbished 2DS systems for $75 each if you want the game with a smaller cost.

TommyRumsey

Smash Rookie
Everyone I know that has played it, has loved it! No matter if they liked or hated the others

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Hitstun should be a feature that can be disabled. Honestly, it's not fun for the other player to just see their character endlessly combed to death. Trust me, you'll love it, but you won't when it happens to you.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
In my eyes, It's better than Brawl, I like it more than Melee, but it's different than N64.

If you play a character like Ness, Fox, or C. Falcon, It'll feel offensive. If you choose one like Robin, Mega Man, or Mr. Game and Watch, it's hit-and-run, and for characters like King Dedede and Little Mac, defensive/reactive.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Smash 4 is quite literally the best elements of every past game put together.

Well, most of them.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Probably not, cause the games u like have poor defensive options, and is more offensive focused. This game has a balance between offense and defense that may rub you the wrong way at first, but I'm betting you will either grow to love it, or realize you prefer all out offensive tactics and true combos.

Raijinken

Smash Master
It's very different from all of the past games.

The combo game rather depends on the character, of course. If that's really the only thing that makes the game satisfying for you, might wanna try it before you buy it. However, unlike Brawl's neutral defensive poke game, this one involves more footsies and feinting aggression, kinda like a more "traditional" fighter. Playstyle variety is greater, and so is the validity of each style. Matchups are more dynamic and specific matchups play a heavier role in character viability. In Brawl, defense was king, in Melee, aggro was the only valid option. Here, both can work, it's up to you to figure out how to beat the opponent's style.

Another important note is that, due to the average player not actually having very good internet, lag and packet loss do exist. Online is FAR better than Brawl, but this is Nintendo and it isn't a PC game, so don't expect a flawless experience. Consequently, a lot of players will fall back on defensive play online, as it requires less precision and less risk that could be interrupted by sudden (or constant) lag. If online is a major point for you, just bear in mind that it takes both players having good internet for the experience to be consistent.

It offers its own different appeal. Safest bet is to try it before you buy it.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Smash 4 is quite literally the best elements of every past game put together.

Well, most of them.
I really wish the solo stuff on Wii U was really good. Although I liked All Star and Crazy Orders, the rest of the Solo modes aren't doing much for me... :<

3DS's Classic and Smash Run (though flawed) was really fun though. Gathering customized stuff and the RNG was just so much better in 3DS. It'd been so nice if we had those on Wii U.

As for OP: It depends on your taste with Smash. Demo is definitely the best way to go about it first, or play with anyone you know who has a copy on either version.

I loved 64 and Melee, but hated Brawl (just because it felt so boring and sluggish to me), but I'm enjoying SSB4 Wii U on the sides of the multiplayer component. I've been having a blast with the combat, although some things could use a bit of tweaking there. But thank god it feels so much nicer to play.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
If you are buying a system for one game you are doing it wrong. Just saying.

Grackin

Smash Rookie
If you are buying a system for one game you are doing it wrong. Just saying.
He said he also wanted MK8.

Honestly, OP, the Wii U is absolutely worth it for just Nintendoland, smash, and MK8. These three games have brought more joy into my house and to the holidays than any other medium in nearly 10 years. Local multiplayer has been neglected for far too long, but Nintendo is doing great work to revive it. If you've grown out of the COD phase already, a Wii U is a necessity for your home. I promise you won't regret it.

As for Smash, this is one of the best games in the series. I won't speak about how competitive it will be for the tournament scene because it's still far too young to make decisions yet, but I'm sure someone like you will enjoy it just as much as melee. There are enough characters with many different playstyles, so you're sure to find a character that fits with how you want to play.

Top Bottom