• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Lord's Logbook-Lucina User Videos

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Good game you got there! Obviously your Lucina surpasses mine and you didn't really ask for any help, but I thought I'd try to point a few things out and see if I can help anyway, since I'm also a Greninja player.
  • You sure seem to love that counter..... maybe a little too much? I saw you use it many times, especially when you're landing back on the ground or when that Greninja was rolling around you.
  • Speaking of rolling, that guy was rolling a ton, and it looks like you only got a few punishes on him for it. Maybe a few Utilts, Usmashes, or Dtilt > Backwards Ftilt would've made him pay. I believe Dancing Blade would've also punished his rolls, if he rolled in front of you at least.
  • He also used his own counter a few times, Greninja's Substitute counter sucks. Takes way too long to come out and you can just shield it before he does his teleport kick, or perhaps you could just counter his counter. He got you with it once when you hit him with a fully charged shield breaker because of the end lag, I'd be careful with that against Counter users if I were you.
  • Whenever you got launched or jumped into the air, you seemed to be quick to use your double jumps. When critiquing one of my videos, somebody once told me that's a nasty habit to have since it limits your options coming back down. It was technically concerned with :4pacman: instead of Lucina, but I wouldn't be surprised if it applied to other characters too, Lucina included. When you use the DJ so fast your options when coming back down to the ground are limited to Air Dodge, Dair (which has hefty landing lag), Counter, or just falling normally; and he got a lot of grabs when you landed back (and a lot of grabs in general).
Can't really say anything else though.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
You just have to embarrass me with your superior skills, don't ya?

May I request changing the "Alexander" in the title to "Wintropy" or something? I don't like being mistaken for my brother. I don't think he does either.
I do value the privacy of others, but as you wish.

Tis done~

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
here's a load of my replays, want to get rid of them before the 1.0.4 update. All comments/criticism accepted

Moydow :4lucina: (Cherche, highlighted) vs. Twan :4lucina: (Tharja) (best bit starts at 1:15)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqtoj9tz3No

Moydow :4lucina: vs. Tobias :4rob:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LXF2nxNMmQ

Moydow :4marth: vs. EB_Benjy :4lucina: (I presume this qualifies for here, since I was playing against a Lucina?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S08pQ2iK13Y

Moydow :4lucina: vs. . :4sheik: (yes, his/her name actually was just a full stop)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW6UzS_WOuE

Moydow :4lucina: vs. Wakk :4marth: (this is the Hero King?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6dT21-flL4

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Robin didn't say "Lucina, I hope I didn't hurt you" 0/10 worst Robin ever

The Lucina could have done better. S/he was using dash attack and rolls a bit too much in my opinion - more tilts and a more careful approach, and s/he might have edged it (not commenting on your Robin play, just that I personally reckon Marth/Lucina have the edge in this matchup).

megamain

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-1300-6153
Robin didn't say "Lucina, I hope I didn't hurt you" 0/10 worst Robin ever

The Lucina could have done better. S/he was using dash attack and rolls a bit too much in my opinion - more tilts and a more careful approach, and s/he might have edged it (not commenting on your Robin play, just that I personally reckon Marth/Lucina have the edge in this matchup).
They do have the edge. It's so hard to fight against them because their attacks generally come out fatser than Robin's. They also play that space game which puts them out if the way of the Levin Sword most of the time. I main Marth as well so I kind of know how far their attacks can reach. Thanks for your analysis though!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Updated to P1 Jake's video. Haven't had a lot of time.

@ EnGarde EnGarde

Those videos you have over there are welcomed here for criticism. If you could organize them for easier editing into the OP, I would be grateful. Here's the format.

@ EnGarde EnGarde :4lucina: vs (opponent's name) :4name: (replace name with opponent's character)

-replace with URL-

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Updated to P1 Jake's video. Haven't had a lot of time.

@ EnGarde EnGarde

Those videos you have over there are welcomed here for criticism. If you could organize them for easier editing into the OP, I would be grateful. Here's the format.

@ EnGarde EnGarde :4lucina: vs (opponent's name) :4name: (replace name with opponent's character)

-replace with URL-
Ok. :) Sometimes its hard to tell which vid threads are just for pros and which welcome noob posters, lol.

Both my friend and I are new to Smash, so...yeah. Critique is appreciated, as I'm still working on fundamentals. Advice on what fundamentals I should be working on is appreciated (current advice thus far has been to work on grabs, using counter properly, and not being too defensive). These matches are still on the 3DS (post patch), but I hope the Wii U version arrives on Monday (sigh...Toys R Us...why did you so delay my pre-order??? :-/)

The only thing of note here that I do is the pretty standard technique of recovering deep under the stage in order to punish unwary edge-guards with dolphin slash, as it pokes through the bottom of stages like battlefield and helps guarantee you'll snap to the ledge. I do this in the R.O.B video below, at 1:20.

@ EnGarde EnGarde :4lucina: vs LeopardTalon :rosalina:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynFHDdczbHE
@ EnGarde EnGarde :4lucina: vs LeopardTalon :4villager:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26sqOsIPs8c
@ EnGarde EnGarde :4lucina: vs LeopardTalon :4kirby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3liwMHSaYQ
@ EnGarde EnGarde :4lucina: vs LeopardTalon :4rob:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUxZzGQOAyw

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Got a couple of videos against lvl 9 CPU's where I practice some of my tech with Lucina. As far as I know, only Marth and Lucina can dash dance and fox-trot this quickly and consistently, which makes me feel like these two have fairly high ceilings.

@ sawp sawp :4lucina: vs CPU :4darkpit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywbaAxphUeQ

@ sawp sawp :4lucina: vs CPU :4samus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-dHV6P5GpI
Impressive footwork I must say. Looks like I've still got to practice that some more for just confusing opponents if not anything else xD

sawp

Smash Rookie
Impressive footwork I must say. Looks like I've still got to practice that some more for just confusing opponents if not anything else xD
Yeah, I'm coming from a Melee background so I was pleasantly surprised to get this level of movement and control from Lucina. Helps a lot with spacing, even though it's not as important for Lucina as it is for Marth. And yeah like you said, for mindgaming your opponent it's pretty awesome.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Yeah, I'm coming from a Melee background so I was pleasantly surprised to get this level of movement and control from Lucina. Helps a lot with spacing, even though it's not as important for Lucina as it is for Marth. And yeah like you said, for mindgaming your opponent it's pretty awesome.
Explains why you can do that foxtrot pivoting without much difficulty xD I hadn't found much use for it myself during my time of playing it, but I know its merits. Trick is training myself to use foxtrotting as my method of movement, especially that pivot dash (that one is a royal pain to get on a circle pad xD). I usually just compensate by doing other things really xD

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Foxtrotting is a super strong option for movement. Definitely now that tripping is gone. Makes your approaches harder to read
Oh, no doubt, just again, getting to a point that it's consistent is the major issue xD

CherubiKnighT

"KnighT Of Mystery" CherubiKnighT
NNID
Cherubiknight
3DS FC
0946-3379-8020
New to the seen here and uploading and streaming as much as I can. Will be uploading more and here is my take on Lucina with somewhat decent commentary. Resolution of video is at 1080p and 60fps. Mic is not so good LOL. Nice meteor smash around 1:50 to about 1:57 ish. Here is the video and will be uploading and streaming as much as I can. I work a lot but do lots of tournaments as well!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb7HvaTp7yA

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Alright so I got a video done of Lucina vs Mario with me playing Lucina and my friend HeroMystic playing Mario, I want to place this video on here for critique on how to get better using Lucina. I'm especially eager to hear critique and information from @ EternalFlame EternalFlame and possibly @Emblem Lord I heard from HeroMystic that EL is a really good player, and Eternal Flame has more than shown he has knowledge in Luci.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Alright so I got a video done of Lucina vs Mario with me playing Lucina and my friend HeroMystic playing Mario, I want to place this video on here for critique on how to get better using Lucina. I'm especially eager to hear critique and information from @ EternalFlame EternalFlame and possibly @Emblem Lord I heard from HeroMystic that EL is a really good player, and Eternal Flame has more than shown he has knowledge in Luci.
Ok, Im just squeezing this in during breaktime so it wont be as personal as I'd like it (makes it look like Im more nitpicking your playstyle, which I hope does not come off rude or anything ^^"), but hopefully these points help:

• may want to look up the dash cancel shielding as a way to deal with projectiles (its under basics in my guide ;D). Use it to approach without eating so many projectiles in the process, as rolling past the projectiles can leave you open xD
  • choose your times carefully when ground SBing. Usually its better used in the air after careful positioning, and should be best used when your opponent is a swords length away
  • Dash attacks shouldnt be used often unless you know your opponent is gonna be hit by it. Your safer approaches are like Short Hop FAirs/NAirs
  • try using FAir as soon as you press the jump button, as that will keep you relatively safe from landing lag
  • SB is a good move, but you may want to avoid using it at point blank range. Be always mindful of spacing and use it a safe distance away (which is a sword's length away)
  • Make a habit that when recovering, trust in using aerial A attacks to cover your return (FAirs or UAirs mid double jump when you see your opponent is close would be ideal). Also try to save your double jump as much as possible when recovering back on stage, as recovering from below the ledge is usually more favourable for Marth/Lucina. Even when on stage, save that double jump till your opponent tries to jump for you and attack. Either double jump and fast fall to get away, or air dodge through it.
  • I saw a glimse of my Air DB setup there, but I'm not too sure, since you used it during the peak of a Full Hop. A good rule of thumb is B moves are better used during SHs, unless you're going for a setup with them. If you want to turn around mid air with SB, tap the direction you want to throw it at, wait till the analog stick returns to its original position, then quickly press the b button.
  • When you go for that DThrow > Up B (Dolphin Slash) combo, remember to only use that after at least 60%, and fast fall after its usage. These are measures to keep you safe from immediate retaliation. You may also want to look up reverse b so you turn around and hit with your Dolphin Slash
  • Remember that you have your DTilt and UTilt as well for poking your opponent mid attack and anti airing respectfully. Remember your fundamentals in spacing, as Lucina will still need it just as Marth does
  • The smashes are good to throw out occassionally, but be wary of using them, especially FSmash unless you're as well spaced as possible. Doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but you want to lower your chances of being hit back as much as possible.
  • Careful not to use DAir on stage if you can help it. That one has more landing lag than FAir, and will leave you wide open to attacks
  • Avoid retreating by repeated rolls. Trust me, from personal experience, that will get you more hurt than save you from any attacks o.e Some may not know how to deal with it, but when they do, they will make you feel very sorry for it
  • To end things on a more positive note, DSmash (well, sort of) and USmash are worlds better for Lucina than Marth (so it's good that you're getting into the habit of using it, just again, be careful), and you did well DI'ing out of your friend's Utilt combos
... ok, this is why I wanted to make it brief, then I go waaaaaay too deep anyway xD Its a lot to go through, but try to apply these as you keep practicing. There's still much more that I didn't cover, but thats just because that reflects my fighting style more than trying to improve yours (and I don't know if you want to know that stuff, though my guide is there for that reason xD). This should apply to any other Marth/Lucina, so these will help develop your way of playing her

Keep up the practice dude ^^ and again, hope this will help ya out

Last edited:

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Ok, Im just squeezing this in during breaktime so it wont be as personal as I'd like it (makes it look like Im more nitpicking your playstyle, which I hope does not come off rude or anything ^^"), but hopefully these points help:

• may want to look up the dash cancel shielding as a way to deal with projectiles (its under basics in my guide ;D). Use it to approach without eating so many projectiles in the process, as rolling past the projectiles can leave you open xD
  • choose your times carefully when ground SBing. Usually its better used in the air after careful positioning, and should be best used when your opponent is a swords length away
  • Dash attacks shouldnt be used often unless you know your opponent is gonna be hit by it. Your safer approaches are like Short Hop FAirs/NAirs
  • try using FAir as soon as you press the jump button, as that will keep you relatively safe from landing lag
  • SB is a good move, but you may want to avoid using it at point blank range. Be always mindful of spacing and use it a safe distance away (which is a sword's length away)
  • Make a habit that when recovering, trust in using aerial A attacks to cover your return (FAirs or UAirs mid double jump when you see your opponent is close would be ideal). Also try to save your double jump as much as possible when recovering back on stage, as recovering from below the ledge is usually more favourable for Marth/Lucina. Even when on stage, save that double jump till your opponent tries to jump for you and attack. Either double jump and fast fall to get away, or air dodge through it.
  • I saw a glimse of my Air DB setup there, but I'm not too sure, since you used it during the peak of a Full Hop. A good rule of thumb is B moves are better used during SHs, unless you're going for a setup with them. If you want to turn around mid air with SB, tap the direction you want to throw it at, wait till the analog stick returns to its original position, then quickly press the b button.
  • When you go for that DThrow > Up B (Dolphin Slash) combo, remember to only use that after at least 60%, and fast fall after its usage. These are measures to keep you safe from immediate retaliation. You may also want to look up reverse b so you turn around and hit with your Dolphin Slash
  • Remember that you have your DTilt and UTilt as well for poking your opponent mid attack and anti airing respectfully. Remember your fundamentals in spacing, as Lucina will still need it just as Marth does
  • The smashes are good to throw out occassionally, but be wary of using them, especially FSmash unless you're as well spaced as possible. Doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but you want to lower your chances of being hit back as much as possible.
  • Careful not to use DAir on stage if you can help it. That one has more landing lag than FAir, and will leave you wide open to attacks
  • Avoid retreating by repeated rolls. Trust me, from personal experience, that will get you more hurt than save you from any attacks o.e Some may not know how to deal with it, but when they do, they will make you feel very sorry for it
  • To end things on a more positive note, DSmash (well, sort of) and USmash are worlds better for Lucina than Marth (so it's good that you're getting into the habit of using it, just again, be careful), and you did well DI'ing out of your friend's Utilt combos
... ok, this is why I wanted to make it brief, then I go waaaaaay too deep anyway xD Its a lot to go through, but try to apply these as you keep practicing. There's still much more that I didn't cover, but thats just because that reflects my fighting style more than trying to improve yours (and I don't know if you want to know that stuff, though my guide is there for that reason xD). This should apply to any other Marth/Lucina, so these will help develop your way of playing her

Keep up the practice dude ^^ and again, hope this will help ya out

Thank you for this extensive and helpful bag of tips, I'll try my best to incorporate them into my play style and see if it helps me!

Jtails

Smash Lord
Towards the end, I started understanding Lucina vs Shulk, please excuse the video quality.

Duet

Smash Cadet
NNID
requiemlacrimosa
Those videos were actually the reason that I ended up giving Lucina another shot. Even though Jtails mains Diddy, I watched those 2 videos and I was like "well since that guy is so ridiculously nice, playing Lucina is obviously the way to go. Anyways, here are some For Glorys from tonight, nothing fancy. The more I watch my replays, the more I realize how bad I am at actually hitting the opponent half the time I try to attack.

http://youtu.be/1OnpJa5xRZM
:4lucina: v. :4ness: - Probably the best indication of how my matches turn out half the time. For whatever reason, I am terrible at not killing myself.

http://youtu.be/AdMVa95sFrw
:4lucina: v. :4shulk:

http://youtu.be/tFQssvi4p9s
:4lucina:v. :4myfriends: - Number of Neutral B's used: Too many.

http://youtu.be/_ZY8l6_s-nY
:4lucina: v. :4falco:

Last edited:
Top Bottom