• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking to perpare for tournament HELP

Jakesnakegzilla

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jakesnakegzilla
I'm gearing up for a semi-local Project M tourney. I'm looking to see how good I am compared to other players. I assume I'm not that good, as I struggle with a Level 9 Falco. How is everyone else doing against level 9's?

Player -0

Smash Hero
How well one does vs. CPUs isn't strongly correlated with how well one does vs. Players.

Just think about what's happening and control your character.

I also wouldn't expect to do well.

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, you will find out really quickly that players, don't play like bots. So just worry about leaning your own playstyle and don't get your hopes too high.

Have fun.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
and if you do buster out and go 0-2, double 4 stock each game, don't get too discouraged. just stick around and play friendlies.

and if you do better than that, stick around and play friendlies.

just stick around and play friendlies. hopefully someone cool in your scene shows up and has the time and is willing to help show you the ropes. otherwise, just grind out some friendlies with a lot of people and try to figure out just one thing that you need to work on (tangible, though, so no "need to improve my punish!" something like "i roll center stage too much; i never edgeguard; i need to practice teching in general").

Jakesnakegzilla

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jakesnakegzilla
Thanks for the advice everybody. I am trying to learn how to SHFFL more effectively before the tournament, but besides that, everything has been stress. Thanks for the advice, though. I'm going to give it my all! (Insert motivational anime quote here)

Kaibo

Smash Cadet
(Assuming you haven't gone yet) With a lot of experience playing against cpus cause I'm a loner, when you play in tournaments it's not really about tech skill but more about mixups and how you can adapt to your opponents play style, so just pay attention to small things such as getup options and preferred grab throws

Jakesnakegzilla

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jakesnakegzilla
Thanks Kaibo! I started this thread because I'm in the same situation as you, and I couldn't really determine if I was prepared or not.

Top Bottom