• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking to improve, but don't know how

Geras

Smash Rookie
NNID
GerassN
Well, I'll start by giving you my story (I'll leave a TL;DR if you don't care about the story, but it gives context and reasons for some stuff):

Since I started the game, I've been playing Captain Falcon, and he's always been my Sm4sh main. I really only play on weekends against friends, specifically one who also wants to get into competitive play. When I play a random character against his mains, we usually have pretty even fights, but when I pick Captain Falcon, I generally 2 stock him. This, you could say, isn't a bad thing, but the reality is I like being challenged, so I'll usually pick other characters just so matches are more even. This prevents me from practicing C.F. at high level gameplay (though my friend isn't bad, but he has bad habits which are easily punishable)

Now, the solution to this could be:
a) Playing online
b) Finding better players in my region
c) Going to local tournaments

The answers to these would be as follows:

a) I simply can't play online. I can't stand lag and it hurts my gameplay IMMENSELY. Even barely noticeable lag is horrible for me, and I just don't play the same.

b) I live in Panama (the country, not the city in Florida), and here the competitive community is almost nonexistent. Now, this isn't to say we don't have a Smash scene. In fact (and luckily), the top players in my country are near me, and boy, those guys are good, with our top player being undefeated in Smash 4 since the game came out (here's his ranking profile). The bad thing is that although we have really good players, there are only about 10 dedicated players in the whole country, and there isn't a local where they play, they all play at their university (most of them study in the same university).

c) I actually went to my first tournament (link to event here), and ended up placing 13th. I went against a new player in the first set and won. In my second set I played probably the 3rd best player in the country, and I got destroyed. He's a Mario main, and I swear he did some stuff I've never seen in any other top Mario main. I won the third set, and barely lost the 4th one in game 3, likely because I killed myself, but I digress. It was a very fun experience and I'll be going every month, but let's get back to the set where I got destroyed:

The dude was amazing, and by far the best player I've ever been against. The problem is that it's hard to learn when I only get 2 matches, and the only thing that happens during those 2 matches getting completely blown away. I didn't know what to do at any point during the matches, he two stocked me on the first game and killed me with low % on our final stocks.
I couldn't play friendlies against top players because they all arrived when the tournament was going to start, and when they played friendlies, they played against other people (I'm 16 and nearly everyone else is in their early 20s).

TL;DR: there isn't a big Smash scene in my country, and very few players, locations and age differences make it pretty much impossible to play against high level players.

Now, asking for actual advice: I consider myself to be a very good player, specially with C.F, and I think I could even get to be a recognized player in my country if I had the resources to train. I know all kinds of stuff with C.F: approaching with bairs, grabs, falling up-air into knee, f-throw at 0% for a jab lock if the opponent doesn't expect it, up-air strings, dance trotting, spiking with dair and up-tilt, you get the point, I'm pretty dominant on all aspects of the character, except I have some big problems outside C.F., and I'll put them in a nice-looking little list:

• I get desperate. I might be dominating my opponent, but I get desperate and just want to end the match, resulting in an SD or throwing a random Raptor Boost which ends up getting me killed (that's actually how I lost my last match in the 4th set. An SD and a random Raptor Boost).
  • I have a bit of trouble in the neutral as well, but also has to do with getting desperate. Sometimes I just go in where I know I shouldn't.
  • Nerves really get me in public, since instead of doing lots of RAR bairs, I missed my inputs and just ran and kneed a lot (costing me lots of % too).
  • I have ADD, so I have a LOT of trouble focusing and observing my opponent's habits, and lacking something this important, I need to compensate with something else which takes me to my next problem.
  • I try to read a lot. Just as I mentioned with the random Raptor Boosts, I just try to read my opponent way too much and miserably fail. I sometimes just rely on reading since I can't really observe my opponent.
I know this isn't very Falcon related, but I wanted to hear advice from fellow C.F. players. I may repost this later somewhere else if I don't get much feedback here. You deserve a cookie if you actually read all this.

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
  • I get desperate. I might be dominating my opponent, but I get desperate and just want to end the match, resulting in an SD or throwing a random Raptor Boost which ends up getting me killed (that's actually how I lost my last match in the 4th set. An SD and a random Raptor Boost).
  • I have a bit of trouble in the neutral as well, but also has to do with getting desperate. Sometimes I just go in where I know I shouldn't.
  • Nerves really get me in public, since instead of doing lots of RAR bairs, I missed my inputs and just ran and kneed a lot (costing me lots of % too).
  • I have ADD, so I have a LOT of trouble focusing and observing my opponent's habits, and lacking something this important, I need to compensate with something else which takes me to my next problem.
  • I try to read a lot. Just as I mentioned with the random Raptor Boosts, I just try to read my opponent way too much and miserably fail. I sometimes just rely on reading since I can't really observe my opponent.
This, I have trouble myself, but I'm working on it. I'd love to see other responses to this, but I'll also throw in some of what I'm working on and some other tips.
Just play with people. It doesn't matter of their skill level. The more you play people, the less nerves you should feel. If they're bad, watch what they are doing and explain it to them afterwards to help them improve. If they don't want to hear it, -they're crazy- then keep it in mind. Being able to critique will help you improve your game and see what you are doing wrong better. If you are playing a good player, just relax, it's a friendly, nothing is at stake. Ask them for tips on what you did badly and maybe tips on improvement. Watch yourself during the set as well too.
If you can, watch replays of yourself as well. Watching is while doing nothing is very different from watching while playing.
As your nerves go down, you should notice that you will be getting less desperate. Playing bad people, you have a lead, and want to close it out? Take it easy, because you know you can win. You just need to wait for the right time and place. Just keep a lead and your composure. Playing good people, you shouldn't expect yourself to win. I'm not saying you are always going to lose or you should lose, but that you should just accept that losing is a much higher possibility and be fine with it. Keeping your composure is very important, and you should do whatever it takes to keep it. Music, meditation, whatever works for you. Find your zone and stay in it. This is hard. Don't expect it to come immediately. I'm still having trouble with this.

Observing your opponent's habits, I am honestly kind of still ballparking here. I suggest starting small on watching their habits. Watch which option they choose in a tech chase situation, how often they do it, but keep everything else to a minimum. Watch what they do in neutral. Simple stuff. Once you get the hang of it and it's second nature, add to what you look at. Things like how do they react to an approaching bair. So on and so forth.

Looking at all those points above, all of them but #4 are all rather related haha. I can't say much more than be more conscious of your choices, but start slowly, because doing it all at once is extremely overwhelming.

Hopefully I helped at least a bit :]

MaKPooN

Smash Rookie
Ok im going to go in kind of random order but I think I can help a little bit.

Observing Habits: I agree with Sean de Lure on the idea of starting small like a tech chase situation, but that is even more so relevant on a character like Falcon since he is so lethal. Starting small on tech chases if you can learn to catch tech chases with jabs and grabs and then you don't have to deal with a neutral situation as often. Also if you aren't the greatest at neutral you should definitely still learn it, but maybe if you just refine your tech chases and combo game then you don't have to rely on your neutral. I know its a lot to learn but we still got a lot of years left to play this game so if you can master all of these things you'll be set.

The getting desperate I believe is because of your lack of confidence in the neutral game, I know its very unlike any falcon player to play super lame but he is fast enough you can run away or just learn to properly space nairs and jabs on shield to take time and think about your next option which i think would be bait out something and go for a grab then use your juicy combo game you'll have if you learn it and thats it.

Also if you are going for too many reads, simply just have patience. Wait for them to do something that you can punish if you see your self going for too many reads just slow the game down take your time and pick your moment wisely.

Top Bottom