• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking to get into the Competitive Scene (Chicago)

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
Hello, my name is Jim
I'm 21 from the Chicagoland area

I've been creepin around the project M forums here on smashboards for awhile now and also play a ridiculous amount of P:M. I've always been lucky enough have a large group of friends that have been really into smash (Melee, Brawl, and P:M) and we've always just had mini-tournaments among ourselves so, I have a lot of people to practice with. I've never attended an official tournament of any kind, but me and some buddies are fairly interested. I really have no idea how these things work.

My main question here is: How do you know your ready for competitive play?

I'm not really looking to become the greatest P:M player of all times or make any money. I really don't care about any of that stuff just seems like it would be fun & I'm sure I'd get to learn something too. Main concern is I'd like to have a solid preparation for it. I don't really have any way to gauge my skill level accurately. I know I will most likely loose alot what you recommend that I know ?

On another note: Who here is from my area and whats going on out here?

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
You know you're ready for competitive play when you care enough about the game to make a Smashboards account after lurking for a long while.

Play friendlies with locals just so you can get good competition before you really decide you want to go to tournaments.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
What part of Chicagoland? I'm about 45 minutes northwest of the city.

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
Start coming to these.

Luckily for you the Chicago area PM scene is MASSIVE (maybe one of the biggest local scenes?) and you've ample opportunity to play some insanely talented players.

Top Bottom