• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for some Ganondorf Critique / Tips *Vids inside*

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so I haven't been here since Brawl's initial release, and I haven't really been doing much to step up my game. So I'm asking any good Ganon players to watch a couple of my vids, and if they can give me some tips on how to improve, or where to go to start reading up.

Vids can be found there.

Any comments, critique, tips, and general observations are most appreciated. Thank you.

El Drago

Smash Cadet
Well as far as advice goes...

From what i saw it appears to me that you are playing ganon as if he didnt suck. Using Forward smashes when your opponent were in close range and trying to assault with F air. F-air is a kill move, dont rush with it, kill with it, use it in the air off the stage, best place for it.

For some god-awful reason ganon's F smash is slow and has no range and doesnt even hit that hard (D3, Ike and snake's all have more range and hit twice as hard, wth?). But it does come out fairly quick, use it basically as a faster warlock punch, something you know they cant escape.

Use the dash attack more, it comes out **** fast and hits **** hard. I highly reccomend using dash and c stick down at the same time cause that will get it out the fastest. Most people who use ganon dont use this enough, its really good, harder to punish than the f smash or tilt. Best yet you can follow up with it too.

When stomping make sure u do it on the way up on the hops so u dont lag, if they block/dodge them, get them with a f-tilt or d-tilt doing it again will make u predictable and get you punished.

Also when above your foe, drop on em with down-B instead of a stomp, the timing for the stomp makes you vulnerable on the way down. The down -b has just about the same kill power but it comes down faster, making it harder to avoid as well as has splash at the floor so its harder to dodge.

Oh, side B, I cant stress this, but dont do this move unless you know what you are going to do after. This move isnt about the damage (9 is pitiful) its a setup, if all you can think of is a jab after you might wanna use something else.

Thats all the advice i can think of, keep at it, hes hard to use.

:034:

Smash Hero
From what i saw it appears to me that you are playing ganon as if he didnt suck.
Haha, I love that term.

ANYWAY.

To me, it looked as if you were very uncertain about your Flame Chokes (sideB). You hit them and then thought 'Okay, now what?', and then you just jabbed or whatever. The beauty of the Flame Choke is not that's an attack, it's purely a set-up, you can do a lot of things from the Choke. Try practicing Tech Chasing with it (by shielding the get-up attack or following them after a roll or whatever, I don't tech chase much with it, honestly). Or, try dtilt to uairs or you could downb or you could probably even Thunder Storm the *******.

And yeah, like the above poster said - stutter step your fsmash every time you do it. It increases your range by about 50%, so it's definitely useful. Just lightly tap your control stick the other way, then C-stick the way you're facing. It takes about 5 minutes practice to do it in training, remembering to do it in battle is a bit more difficult.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
Haha, I love that term.

ANYWAY.

To me, it looked as if you were very uncertain about your Flame Chokes (sideB). You hit them and then thought 'Okay, now what?', and then you just jabbed or whatever. The beauty of the Flame Choke is not that's an attack, it's purely a set-up, you can do a lot of things from the Choke. Try practicing Tech Chasing with it (by shielding the get-up attack or following them after a roll or whatever, I don't tech chase much with it, honestly). Or, try dtilt to uairs or you could downb or you could probably even Thunder Storm the *******.

And yeah, like the above poster said - stutter step your fsmash every time you do it. It increases your range by about 50%, so it's definitely useful. Just lightly tap your control stick the other way, then C-stick the way you're facing. It takes about 5 minutes practice to do it in training, remembering to do it in battle is a bit more difficult.
Yeah, those are the two things I'm working on the most at the moment.

And thanks for the tips guys, it's much appreciated.

Top Bottom