• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for Jigglypuff advice

Raistlin

Smash Lord
This videos were recorded just about a week ago. My favorite is the second one, and if you have the time I'd appreciate it if you watched at least one of the videos and give me some advice/critiques. Especially you, ChozenOne, since you seem to critique well. I've never really had other Jigglypuff players look at my style and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

Jiggz vs. Marth on FD

Jiggz vs. Marth on Rainbow Cruise

Jiggz vs. Captain Falcon on Rainbow Cruise

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
Let me start by saying that your current game is not bad.. it just needs some practice. In actuality the Marth would be doing alot more Dairs --> Spike when you (as in you personally) recovered due to your recovery predictability. Also you'd see alot more grabs --> Tippers unless you like to CC --> SS --> Rest. This will nulify any visions of getting rediculously low % KO's so you should be ok.. For Marth, the main thing is keeping him scared to come near you... rest him once in the beggining, and fear will follow; once this noticable change occurs in their style of gameplay you can then move onto spacing your WoP (Bairs, not Fairs unless he's jumping towards you) perfectly.. and i mean perfectly (you'll know b/c the hitbox is alittle disjointed). This allows you to rack up damage, and then finish him (mortal combat!!) with a Bthrow/Fsmash/Fthrow/Bair/Fair.. but ussually it'll be a Bthrow. Then just edge-guard and repeat.

Now to you and your Jiggs..

1, You air dodge too much.. it's slow, and your recovery becomes predictable. Jiggs has five jumps.. use them all. It's not terrible to pound away from the stage when recovering instead of taking a tipper to the face..

2, You need to do more grabing.. part of the reason that Jiggs is placed where she is on the tier list is that all of her grabs (yes, even Dthrow) are useful and do quite a bit of damage (12% is quite good for a grab). Grabs also control exactly where your opponent goes so they make for easy comboing.

3, Combo with consectutive hits better.. Uairs, and Fairs are best for this. Many a time you'd do a Fair, Bair, or Nair, and not follow it up. Part of what makes "the pros" so good is because all of their "combos" last for quite some time. Lagg is a beautiful thing. Harness that energy (part of the reason why the PhotoSynthesizing Puff is soo good ;) ) Be faster with your fastfalls, and your midair jumps. Speed is everything here.

4, Do more gimpy rests like CC'd SS Rest or Tech to Rest.. Jiggs dies quite easily if you forget to DI, or get gaed by a tipper. Use every advantage you have at your disposal. Rest is also not "easy" to pull off, so practice at this is very important. Mindgames son. Mindgames. You don't really need combo rests to be an effective "rester". Mindgames let you do "Chozen Rests" [where you run up to your opponent, and then do a standing rest on top of their character (due to being inside them b/c you were passing through them in the run)], and other similar gayness..

5, Don't stop moving.. do Bairs continuously.. for some odd reason people that play Jiggs have this odd tendency to not B-E A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E. *Does ToeTouch-->Standing Backhandspring-->StandingTuck* I guess i couldn't hold in my cheerleaderness forever... Jiggs is one of the better offensive players that remains defensive while exerting her amazing offensive awesomeness. People can't really get into you if you space perfectly, without getting a Bair to the face. This tactic is also amazing against spammers b/c it doesn't give them time to spam.

6, Space better.. Perfect Spacing=Half of Jiggs game... Nuff Said.

7, Get better off the stage.. mindgames son. Learn to adapt, and antipate where your opponent is going. Jigg's WoP is amazing at edgeguarding. She is most certainly the most effective edgeguarder in the game. Hands down. Utilize this aswell. Mindgames. Do a Bthrow, and follow it up with nothing (b/c they expect a Bair), and then do an Nair, or a Bair.. Pwnd.

8, You tend to hesitate when jumping out of your shield/owning their lag... this goes along with comboing/initiating a combo. I guess just be faster here. Also don't be afraid to do shorthop rests. They are amazing.

9, Roll dodge more.. lets you get behind them and rest/grab... This is very underrated, but it is also very good. Watch a vid of me, Kishprime, or King.. Anytime one of us is on the ground we're always moving, but if we see on oppertunity to punish lagg, it's ussually started with a well timed rolldodge.

10, When they recover get in their face.. and don't be afraid to use all 5 (!! wtf 5) of your jumps.. what are they going to go.. seriously. nothing.. they need the ledge.. you need them dead. This is alittle bit reiterated here, but due to it's importance I couldn't pass up on oppertunity to say it again.. wtf 5!!

11, You don't really pound too much.. but you do pound more than you should.. it is quite predictable. watch their %'s.. Pound is only really good if you know where it's disjointed hitbox lies, or if they're at a low % which enables you to combo... Just watch it, and keep them guessing. Fairs are many times just as good if not better. Also, sometimes when you're on the ledge you pound, when an Uair is fast and combos even better.

12, Uair more.. combo, combo, combo.. yee. Pretty much this (even more than Bair/Fair) should be the backbone of your game. It (if your opponent is an idiot and uses their second jump [or you have amazing mindgames and make them waste their second jump]) ussually results in a rest or a whatever --> death combo. Never underestimate how good a falling Uair can be. You can really only Uthrow --> Rest Fox+Falco at 40% and below, but at 40+ you can still Uthrow, and then full jump --> Uair, and then start and amazing combo.. yee.

13, Please never Dthrow again.. every other throw is better... unless you're playing a Shiek/Falcon.. that is all.

14, Punish laggy moves with a rest.. make them scared. It's too good not to use.

15, You do Fsmash, and Usmash far too much aswell. Usmash out of shield is rediculous if you can get them with it due to terrible spacing (but hey.. take what you can get!!). Replace these with Bairs. Jiggs is the slowest runner in the game, and isn't very quick on the ground either.. but in the air she is vertually unmatched.

16, Your ledge game.. needs work. A nice trick i've learned is do a Nair when your opponent is on the ledge and he's trying to get back on (whether it's an atk, jump, rolldodge; it doesn't matter) it doesn't really require timing at all, and it knocks them just far enough away from the ledge than you can ussually do an Fair. Good **** all in all though. More Mindgames.

Well.. i'm not sure if I missed anything or not.. but this should do it for now. Get more matches up of you playing someone else besides a Link or a Marth. You have alot of potential, and only through practice, and hard work can you initiate the process of improvement. Good luck, and happy resting.

Good Day Sirs.

-Chozen "The Master of Gimpy Rests" One

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
thanks for the tips about using all jumps. From what i saw. like chozen said just be more agressive. But also try not to get hit. Look at where marth is about to swing. Do some mind games. Maybe jump back then jump foward. That way he misses. And then u come in and combo him

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Ah, thank you very much Chozen. I'll try to remember all that, lol. And about the upsmashes... those were missed up-tilts >.< I'm still working on the sensitivity on that, and everytime I miss it I get a sword to the face.

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
If you want a trick for the Utilts.. if you have no jumps left/your in the middle of doing a move therefore you cannot perform another one, you can hold Up on the control stick, and you won't move.. then you can mash Up A, and all you'll get are Utilts..

Write That Down.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Huh, that's actually pretty handy. I won't jump because I don't have any jumps, and when I land an up-tilt will come out. I'll remember that one for whenever I'm out of jumps.

Top Bottom