• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

long time reader first time poster

afx

Smash Rookie
Whats up, i'm afx the title speaks for itself,

Now i know most of you wont read this at first - me being a n00b having zero post, and posting in the smash 64 forum like its the thing to do with melee being out for several years and brawl about to come out, but with me just getting into the smash craze now i feel like i should be starting at the begining to get the best flow into the game like most of the PRO pros.

The first time i played was when 64 came out and only played with a friend of mine who wasn't very good at the game at all. perhaps a level 1 player. I started with ness so obviously they had been playing for a while and I haddn't. Im an extremely competetive player and have always been into more popular fighters not to name any names. After fiddling around with single player for a while, like most n00bs, after beating it a few times i wrote the game off saying it was easy and no depth to it. Then a few weeks later i found myself stuck doing one of ness's challenges or something getting really pissed off and never playing the game again, or so i thought.

Several years later after getting in depth with other fighting games learning tricks, glitches, techs, pro combos, frame data and all the like i had a better understanding of fighting games and the meta games contained within them. Some of my other friends who had been into smash for a long time and had a better concept of the game were still playing and started comming over my house and playing and asking me to play. For a while i said no - i hated the game for the same reason that most people hate a game, they suck at it. Being the cocky jerk i am and not wanting to look like an idiot i wanted to just avoid it at all costs, especially since i was pretty well revered in other fighters. Well, they finally sucked me in, and i sucked so i just went home with my head in shame and started to hit the books, thats when i came here.

Comming back to smash in a little group game i decided to use Link because i knew his UP B was mad Pwnzors and thought i could at least not embarrass myself by just spamming some nonsense. I got creamed. i quickly realized a newbie link was no match for a seasoned Peach and Shiek player. Knowing very little about the game i fell victim to many Fsmash set ups and was really punished by dash attack combos and decided i really needed to do some studying

I came here and read up a bit and watched some videos and realized with my experience with the game that i had very poor control over the game or my character - any of them. I picked up some cool stuff that i had no idea how to do and decided to pick a character based on the cool stuff i saw from the videos. I choose Fox ... still knowing very little about the game and his demandingness to play. But i did read about tiers and figured i would need someone decent to combat with Peach and Shiek. With alot of reading, and still very little experience i brushed myself off and jumped back into the fray with what i could do. As you could deffinitely imagine i DEFFINITELY embarassed myself. Still falling for alot of Fsmash attempts, and doing way too many double jumps like it was the thing to do. Using alot of foolish attacks and still being a ledge wuss. I needed to go back to the basics - the roots, get a feel for my character and the game. I reverted back to Smash 64 and found a new world of problems

I start playing smash 64 to practice the things i can do. Wavedashing is out, Waveshinning is out, Dair to UPSMASH is IN! attacks are different, tilt isn't even an idea in my head yet. Dash dancing a sperm in progress, and chargable smash attacks are a no go. My friends also seasoned Smash 64 players but not tournament players laugh at my pompus comments - and with good reason because i still didn't know what i was up against. I start practicing with a decent arrogant arrogant player from San Jose who uses Pikachu - really wish i had studied tiers for this game earlier. After getting my *** handed to me by the self proclaimed " best smash player in the world " I decided it was time to do more studying and some deep thread revival. To be honest, the pika player wasn't that bad, he was level 3 i belive if i can recal from the back of my head. throws were god to him - i was punished alot for my inexperience. he did alot of ariel come ins with Dair and a bit of decent ledge guarding - no ledge hog, but being level 3 and me being level 1 i didn't have any kind of chance, everything that happened was a suprise and i was at his pika~mercy.

I reunited with my friends from Sacramento, Ca, and they're not so bad either. The one i play with most is a pretty seasoned player. Hes somewhere in between level 3 and 4 but has alot of level 2 elements because his main is Kirby. He can also only use Kirby and thinks he is unbeatable. Hes decent, doesn't think throws are god, but still beats me alot meaning i know i was stuck at level 1. Still using fox i was trying too hard to be flashy, too much trying to SHDL and doing regular hops and only pulling off two lasers. Not being able to short hop on command, L cancelling was over my head, fast falling was a dream, and not teching attacks really gets me punished. also little knowledge of the game made me very punishable and got him alot of kills. Allow me to be the first to say that five f***ing jumps is f***ing b*lls**t - but i wasn't about to change after having the message board on my side. I've been playing him for a while and even under his critisism i have kept to my play style. Come from the air to attack safer, l cancelling more but i moreso mash my l cancels and cant do them to combo yet. He always told me attacking from the air was usless and hell of unsafe, especially with fox -_- ....

I've been playing since about the end of september now and have decent control of my fox in smash64 at least. I ledge guard nicely, ledgehog poorly. My fast fall is non existant, short hopping alot more often. i cant SHDL to save my life. I can shine cancel for show but not on comand, and i shine as a pretty big part of my defensive offense to take pressure off of me. it works the best to get the mommentum back in my favor, but against kirby, its very hard to leap off and get low %% kills on him because of his 5 jumps. Im at a point where i can take out level 9 computers without losing stock now and still know i have a long way to go until im shffl attacking on command, but fighting players is a totally different story. I'm past taking advice from them because they say things like - kirby isn't that great, link is one of the best characters, fox's ground attacks are better then his air attacks and foxes Fsmash is the best Fsmash in the game. i come here for advice but its few and far between. I know its late in the game but i feel like the smash index should point to more character specific threads and there could be more strategy threads.

Theres plenty of threads on how to do everything, but no threads on WHY these things are important and basic applications for alot of them. Okay - now this afx guy isn't sounding so much like a n00b, but dude, why did he waste so much of our time with that long introduction? Well, i'm hopping i can become a more valued member and player and i dont want my posts to be over looked because i'm a no post n00b. Nobodys gonna take me seriously unless you know something about me so voila.

Smash 64 is a dying an old game, but i still love it and i know alot of you here still love it, i can see it by the posts. and not only that i feel that people need a broader history with the game if they're gonna be any good at it.

Alot of techniques used in the other games are still based on this and i think you can get great practice and practical applications for every day sittuations with this game. What i'de like to do is start threads on alot of these techniques that are hard to find on this forum and bring them to the front page so other users have access to them too.

I hope this post doesn't go over looked, and i hope Alot of you will be seeing more of me here, in the s64 league, and in local smash melee and brawl tournaments.

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
"I start practicing with a decent arrogant arrogant player from San Jose who uses Pikachu"
- Did you still remember who he is right now? Im interested to know who that is ^^
- By the way, if you played someone named Isai, goes by "Malva" online, don't be mistaken.
He is the best smash player there is. And it isn't self proclaimed, it's community deemed.
But he isn't an arrogant player, so I doubt it was him that you played.
I have a few names I can think of that you might have played.

"kirby isn't that great, link is one of the best characters, fox's ground attacks are better then his air attacks and foxes Fsmash is the best Fsmash in the game."
- No comment on "Kirby isn't that great."
- Tier wise, Link isn't one of the best characters
Why? Because he has poor jumps, making his recovery very bad; and many people die too fast due to that fact.
- As a Fox user myself, my opinion says Fox is renown for his fast short hop aerial attacks. If you spam short hop aerial A's at a player, they get flustered and don't know what to do a lot of times.
- Fox's Forward smash shouldn't be attempted during a fight.
If you are going to edge guard, there's aerial spams to block players coming in, lasers to mess with their recovery on the outside, and down smash if they aim for the ledge.
I say Down smash because that attack executes really fast and it covers behind you too, just in case they get over your head a bit.

As Dash Fox posted, he lives in Sacramento, you guys should visit each other and play often.
It's always good to have new people to play with; it changes your point of view on strategies, tactics, and habits.

As for any Fox advice: from reading this post, it seems like you realize what you're aiming to do while using Fox. But the problem lies where you aren't mentally fast enough to control him gracefully and your fingers aren't moving fast enough to do the moves. I guess the only way to work on that would be to just keep playing.
As for the techniques like short hop double laser and shine canceling, I suggest you don't worry about them just yet.
Get a feel for your character first, you have to be able to not even feel any restraints while maneuvering your character.

"Theres plenty of threads on how to do everything, but no threads on WHY these things are important and basic applications for alot of them."
- The "how" is the easy part here; the "why" is very abstract. Some techniques work for others but might not work for you.
You have to figure out if and why a technique is good to you. By spending time playing people using those techniques, you'll soon figure out mentally why you're doing it and then when you should be doing it.

Long winded post, I just woke up at 7 am and World of Warcraft servers are still down, so I just stopped by here ^^
Hope this helped you at least a bit.

cam`

Smash Apprentice
jab sets up f-smash just like it does u-smash and fox's fsmash is more useful at times.

D.Q

Smash Apprentice
jab sets up f-smash just like it does u-smash and fox's fsmash is more useful at times.
like when edgeguarding people :o
oh, who am i kidding. i can't z-cancel to save my life.

cam`

Smash Apprentice
just mash z when you're landing, you don't get punished in 64 for z cancelin too early 8)

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
It wasn't malva or tigerbombz because he wouldn't have thought they were the best, he would've thought they were flat out cheating.

Puffer

Smash Apprentice
Whats up, i'm afx the title speaks for itself,

Now i know most of you wont read this at first - me being a n00b having zero post, and posting in the smash 64 forum like its the thing to do with melee being out for several years and brawl about to come out, but with me just getting into the smash craze now i feel like i should be starting at the begining to get the best flow into the game like most of the PRO pros.

The first time i played was when 64 came out and only played with a friend of mine who wasn't very good at the game at all. perhaps a level 1 player. I started with ness so obviously they had been playing for a while and I haddn't. Im an extremely competetive player and have always been into more popular fighters not to name any names. After fiddling around with single player for a while, like most n00bs, after beating it a few times i wrote the game off saying it was easy and no depth to it. Then a few weeks later i found myself stuck doing one of ness's challenges or something getting really pissed off and never playing the game again, or so i thought.

Several years later after getting in depth with other fighting games learning tricks, glitches, techs, pro combos, frame data and all the like i had a better understanding of fighting games and the meta games contained within them. Some of my other friends who had been into smash for a long time and had a better concept of the game were still playing and started comming over my house and playing and asking me to play. For a while i said no - i hated the game for the same reason that most people hate a game, they suck at it. Being the cocky jerk i am and not wanting to look like an idiot i wanted to just avoid it at all costs, especially since i was pretty well revered in other fighters. Well, they finally sucked me in, and i sucked so i just went home with my head in shame and started to hit the books, thats when i came here.

Comming back to smash in a little group game i decided to use Link because i knew his UP B was mad Pwnzors and thought i could at least not embarrass myself by just spamming some nonsense. I got creamed. i quickly realized a newbie link was no match for a seasoned Peach and Shiek player. Knowing very little about the game i fell victim to many Fsmash set ups and was really punished by dash attack combos and decided i really needed to do some studying

I came here and read up a bit and watched some videos and realized with my experience with the game that i had very poor control over the game or my character - any of them. I picked up some cool stuff that i had no idea how to do and decided to pick a character based on the cool stuff i saw from the videos. I choose Fox ... still knowing very little about the game and his demandingness to play. But i did read about tiers and figured i would need someone decent to combat with Peach and Shiek. With alot of reading, and still very little experience i brushed myself off and jumped back into the fray with what i could do. As you could deffinitely imagine i DEFFINITELY embarassed myself. Still falling for alot of Fsmash attempts, and doing way too many double jumps like it was the thing to do. Using alot of foolish attacks and still being a ledge wuss. I needed to go back to the basics - the roots, get a feel for my character and the game. I reverted back to Smash 64 and found a new world of problems

I start playing smash 64 to practice the things i can do. Wavedashing is out, Waveshinning is out, Dair to UPSMASH is IN! attacks are different, tilt isn't even an idea in my head yet. Dash dancing a sperm in progress, and chargable smash attacks are a no go. My friends also seasoned Smash 64 players but not tournament players laugh at my pompus comments - and with good reason because i still didn't know what i was up against. I start practicing with a decent arrogant arrogant player from San Jose who uses Pikachu - really wish i had studied tiers for this game earlier. After getting my *** handed to me by the self proclaimed " best smash player in the world " I decided it was time to do more studying and some deep thread revival. To be honest, the pika player wasn't that bad, he was level 3 i belive if i can recal from the back of my head. throws were god to him - i was punished alot for my inexperience. he did alot of ariel come ins with Dair and a bit of decent ledge guarding - no ledge hog, but being level 3 and me being level 1 i didn't have any kind of chance, everything that happened was a suprise and i was at his pika~mercy.

I reunited with my friends from Sacramento, Ca, and they're not so bad either. The one i play with most is a pretty seasoned player. Hes somewhere in between level 3 and 4 but has alot of level 2 elements because his main is Kirby. He can also only use Kirby and thinks he is unbeatable. Hes decent, doesn't think throws are god, but still beats me alot meaning i know i was stuck at level 1. Still using fox i was trying too hard to be flashy, too much trying to SHDL and doing regular hops and only pulling off two lasers. Not being able to short hop on command, L cancelling was over my head, fast falling was a dream, and not teching attacks really gets me punished. also little knowledge of the game made me very punishable and got him alot of kills. Allow me to be the first to say that five f***ing jumps is f***ing b*lls**t - but i wasn't about to change after having the message board on my side. I've been playing him for a while and even under his critisism i have kept to my play style. Come from the air to attack safer, l cancelling more but i moreso mash my l cancels and cant do them to combo yet. He always told me attacking from the air was usless and hell of unsafe, especially with fox -_- ....

I've been playing since about the end of september now and have decent control of my fox in smash64 at least. I ledge guard nicely, ledgehog poorly. My fast fall is non existant, short hopping alot more often. i cant SHDL to save my life. I can shine cancel for show but not on comand, and i shine as a pretty big part of my defensive offense to take pressure off of me. it works the best to get the mommentum back in my favor, but against kirby, its very hard to leap off and get low %% kills on him because of his 5 jumps. Im at a point where i can take out level 9 computers without losing stock now and still know i have a long way to go until im shffl attacking on command, but fighting players is a totally different story. I'm past taking advice from them because they say things like - kirby isn't that great, link is one of the best characters, fox's ground attacks are better then his air attacks and foxes Fsmash is the best Fsmash in the game. i come here for advice but its few and far between. I know its late in the game but i feel like the smash index should point to more character specific threads and there could be more strategy threads.

Theres plenty of threads on how to do everything, but no threads on WHY these things are important and basic applications for alot of them. Okay - now this afx guy isn't sounding so much like a n00b, but dude, why did he waste so much of our time with that long introduction? Well, i'm hopping i can become a more valued member and player and i dont want my posts to be over looked because i'm a no post n00b. Nobodys gonna take me seriously unless you know something about me so voila.

Smash 64 is a dying an old game, but i still love it and i know alot of you here still love it, i can see it by the posts. and not only that i feel that people need a broader history with the game if they're gonna be any good at it.

Alot of techniques used in the other games are still based on this and i think you can get great practice and practical applications for every day sittuations with this game. What i'de like to do is start threads on alot of these techniques that are hard to find on this forum and bring them to the front page so other users have access to them too.

I hope this post doesn't go over looked, and i hope Alot of you will be seeing more of me here, in the s64 league, and in local smash melee and brawl tournaments.
I feel your pain, dude. I like Smash64 WAY more than I like Melee, but I've probably played Melee longer and practiced it more seriously. I think that Smash64 has a lot more character than Melee, plus it's a lot more balanced than Melee is (which is probably due to the fact that it has less characters and thus less "room" for creating imbalances).

All that aside, let me just say one thing: If you were used to playing "popular fighters", then Smash will be WAY different. In fact, I don't even consider it a fighting game in the traditional sense of the word. If it's a fighting game, it's a much, much, MUCH different fighting game, more so than all the rest. Smash is essentially an "action-platformer" game where you fight with other characters. Damage is not the emphasis, as with typical fighting games; knocking your opponent off the ledge IS. Thus, characters are usually rated not on how much damage they can deal, but how effective they are at beating other characters off the ledge and KEEPING them off. They're also rated on how well they can RECOVER from such a combo - characters with better recoveries (Kirby, Pikachu, Ness, etc.) will be rated higher than characters with poor recoveries (Link, anyone?).

Now that we've established that Smash is not a fighting game (or at least an extremely DIFFERENT fighting game, if you insist), we have to establish that it takes different tactics/techniques to get good at it.

First, pick a character that you're willing to stick with for a while (we're talking Smash64 here). Then, play with them constantly, Never play with anyone else. Practice the traditional "advanced techniques" of Smash64 - teching in different directions, short-hopping, edge-hopping, button sliding, shield-canceling maneuvers (jumping, up-B, up-smashing), and if you're up to it, directional influence. I'm warning you right now: you NEED a human player to practice these against. If you've heard of the "play-to-win" theory, completely disregard it at this point. Your focus at the start should be LEARNING, not winning. During matches, try to isolate one aspect of your character and focus completely on it so you can improve just that one aspect. If you do well enough, you may even find yourself winning by just focusing on that one aspect. For example, if you're playing Fox, you could choose to focus purely on AVOIDING your opponent. You would accomplish this by keeping your eyes constantly on your opponent and rolling/jumping/short-hopping/teching/dashing away from him/her. Once you've mastered avoidance, you can start sprinkling in attacks. Harass with your laser. Attack with neutral airs or forward airs. Harass them while they're shielding on the ground and then throw them.

The most important aspect of learning Smash is to make a conscious effort to LEARN it. If you just try to win, you'll get more and more frustrated as you lose. Also, if you're not obsessed with winning, it can be easier to sit back and really examine what you're doing wrong during a match. If you're focusing on learning about a certain aspect of your play, you will be able to consciously identify what you're doing wrong, how to improve it, and how to make choices based on what your opponent is doing as well. Observing is extremely important during a Smash match. Then, once you've built up the toolbox of skills you need to play a "full" game, THEN try to win.

Good luck in learning Smash. I hope I helped.

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
"just mash z when you're landing, you don't get punished in 64 for z cancelin too early 8)"

Press it too early, you wont z cancel your aerial
Press it too late, you end up throwing up a shield for half a second
Spam pressing it without being able to control your finger usually results in the latter.

cam`

Smash Apprentice
i obviously don't recommend you spam it, but if you know what you're doing you can spam it and z cancel pretty much every time without any difficulty (no shielding). the window for z canceling is pretty huge.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
I hit z 2 or 3 times and sometimes I get hit with the shield on landing :/ If you don't do it on a timing but just hit a few times and hope to get lucky it won't pay off all the time.

afx

Smash Rookie
i do come back to read, and i appreciate your response. i'm just more of a reader and less of a speaker - even though i have a rediculasly long post, i feel like i didn't have too much to say. i sent out a few PMs and i do want to match up with some locals

Top Bottom