• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lock combos in Smash 3DS (example with Metaknight)

LoCi_AF

Smash Rookie
MK can also setup a lock combo with his bair (2nd hit)

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Important note about Smash 4 locks/resets, based on my (fairly limited) testing in the demo:
It seems that if you don't do the full three hits of the lock, the opponent is soft reset. That is, while they are forced to get up, they can choose how to do so, whether that be rolling left or right, stationary getup, or even a getup attack.
In order to get a hard reset in Smash 4, you must perform the full 3-hit lock. It appears that after a 3-hit lock, the opponent can only do a stationary getup, giving you a guaranteed follow-up.

If someone else could do some testing to confirm that this is the case, it would be greatly appreciated! That way, I'll be able to know whether I'm saying intelligent things or just spewing inaccurate garbage. I think the community as a whole would appreciate the mechanical knowledge, too.

Last edited:

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
Good information in a well constructed video.

Need to mess around with this stuff once I get my hands on this game.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Could Kirby use his D-Air into Jab, Jab, Jab, then use Hammer Flip during the get-up animation?

Ambrose

Smash Journeyman
Important note about Smash 4 locks/resets, based on my (fairly limited) testing in the demo:
It seems that if you don't do the full three hits of the lock, the opponent is soft reset. That is, while they are forced to get up, they can choose how to do so, whether that be rolling left or right, stationary getup, or even a getup attack.
In order to get a hard reset in Smash 4, you must perform the full 3-hit lock. It appears that after a 3-hit lock, the opponent can only do a stationary getup, giving you a guaranteed follow-up.

If someone else could do some testing to confirm that this is the case, it would be greatly appreciated! That way, I'll be able to know whether I'm saying intelligent things or just spewing inaccurate garbage. I think the community as a whole would appreciate the mechanical knowledge, too.
I can confirm this is not true. I've tested this with Metaknight's d-tilt lock on my friend, and he was unable to choose other get up options on the first nor second hit of the d-tilt.

Could Kirby use his D-Air into Jab, Jab, Jab, then use Hammer Flip during the get-up animation?
Kirby's d-air is unable to make the opponent stumble, hence jab locking is not possible. Not from his d-air at least.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I can confirm this is not true. I've tested this with Metaknight's d-tilt lock on my friend, and he was unable to choose other get up options on the first nor second hit of the d-tilt.
Interesting. I seem to recall a CPU opponent rolling after a jab reset from Mario. It was really annoying, because I was trying to go for a Forward Smash but he just rolled away instead of standing up in place.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Interesting. I seem to recall a CPU opponent rolling after a jab reset from Mario. It was really annoying, because I was trying to go for a Forward Smash but he just rolled away instead of standing up in place.
This happens if you are a tad late on the previous hit. (It worked this way in Brawl.)

busken

Smash Ace
Since the fair spike was patched what are the requirement for back air? Can you do the back air spike at any percent? Can you reverse aerial rush into back air and then fastfall?

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Since the fair spike was patched what are the requirement for back air? Can you do the back air spike at any percent? Can you reverse aerial rush into back air and then fastfall?
Pretty sure you can still do it with fair, it's just the spike is significantly weaker now. About the Bair I'm not so sure :/

Top Bottom