• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm not sure if anybody has seen this yet, but this website has translated some of the Japanese reactions towards Little Mac's reveal.

http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-little-mac-in-smash-bros/

You'd be surprised at how negative their responses are. I'm actually pretty disappointed. A lot of them seem to know he's popular overseas, so there's at least that.
I bet if we got lip we would all be like "WTF I DON'T WANT SOME FAIRY GURL IN MAH SMASH"

save for a few select chumps, anyways. I wouldn't do that exactly, anyways.

EDIT: Also that guy could be searching on the GameFAQs of Japan, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not sure if anybody has seen this yet, but this website has translated some of the Japanese reactions towards Little Mac's reveal.

http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-little-mac-in-smash-bros/

You'd be surprised at how negative their responses are. I'm actually pretty disappointed. A lot of them seem to know he's popular overseas, so there's at least that.
Looking at these comments, it looks like the West doesn't exist. Some of these people sound like the bratty kids on Miiverse.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Looking at these comments, it looks like the West doesn't exist. Some of these people sound like the bratty kids on Miiverse.
...........!

oh...

my......

god.........

what if all these comments were off the japanese miiverse?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

...........!

oh...

my......

god.........

what if all these comments were off the japanese miiverse?
I wouldn't be surprised.

If that was the case though, then there might have been at least one mention of Goku.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

That's disappointing.
I'll be sure to send negative responses back about Takamaru.
I actually like Takamaru though.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
....one thing.

some guy said:

I dunno who this is. They should’ve used the guy from Kung Fu instead

who's he talking about? anyone know?

D

Deleted member

who's he talking about? anyone know?
According to Wikipedia, you take control of a man named "Thomas" as he goes through to save his girlfriend who has been kidnapped.

That's disappointing.
I'll be sure to send negative responses back about Takamaru.
I actually like Takamaru though.
I will be upset when I see the negativity from Japan if Shulk, Bandana Dee, and K. Rool are in the game…

Last edited by a moderator:

weegee2407

Smash Cadet
These comments are disappointing. Not many of us raged (that i know of) when fire emblem characters got in. I personally would be good with takamaru's inclusion. I hope these are the worst of the worst comments, because they're acting like mac is the least interesting character ever.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
According to Wikipedia, you take control of a man named "Thomas" as he goes through to save his girlfriend who has been kidnapped.

I will be upset when I see the negativity from Japan if Shulk, Bandana Dee, and K. Rool are in the game…
oh...
never heard of it before.

also doesn't japan support K. Rool and Bandanna Dee? dunno about shulk tho.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

also doesn't japan support K. Rool and Bandanna Dee? dunno about shulk tho.
Shulk is one of Japan's most wanted newcomers. Regardless of their overseas popularity, they will draw some negativity in that region. Not everyone can be satisfied.

I still see kids complain about a character like Diddy Kong, who was pretty much a shoo-in, get included in SSB4 and not Mewtwo…

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I wouldn't be surprised.

If that was the case though, then there might have been at least one mention of Goku.
Now allow me start my rant of why Goku should be in over Little Mac!

Made you look! :troll:

Did you think I would really rant about Little Mac?

It was too big, so I had to spoiler it.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

I'm pretty sure K. Rool is also very popular in Japan.

Anyways, I'm actually not that surprised that most Japanese fans aren't familiar with Little Mac. From what I know, the games weren't readily available to get in Japan, or more specifically the NES game which was only given out in contests. Super Punch Out was also only available on the Satellaview and not in cartridge form.

Even if most of the responses were either negative or apathetic towards Little Mac's inclusion, I'm positive that they'll warm up to him in the future.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
just realized that little mac is the closest to Americas/Europe exclusive character we are going to get.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

Just noticed something. This game is made by Irem.

As in Iremember them! Oh wait no I don't!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I initiially thought of this as well, since this Kung Fu is meme-tastic over there.

But this game we know as Kung Fu, is called Spartan in Japan, so he must've meant that other Kung Fu title (which IMO is a lot worse, "Sptaran" Kung Fu is actually awesome).

Anyway, I think he means this one instead:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

There replies don't seem that bad, he wasn't a popular choice but most people realize he was wanted overseas, at least. The most important part of that is that the most wanted characters are:

• Paper Mario
  • Nick / Captain Rainbow
  • Monster Hunter
  • Lucina
  • Dixie
  • Daisy
  • Waluigi
  • Shulk

That's kind of crazy.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
There replies don't seem that bad, he wasn't a popular choice but most people realize he was wanted overseas, at least. The most important part of that is that the most wanted characters are:

• Paper Mario
  • Nick / Captain Rainbow
  • Monster Hunter
  • Lucina
  • Dixie
  • Daisy
  • Waluigi
  • Shulk
That's kind of crazy.
Where's Ridley?

D

Deleted member

• Paper Mario
  • Nick / Captain Rainbow
  • Monster Hunter
  • Lucina
  • Dixie
  • Daisy
  • Waluigi
  • Shulk
That's kind of crazy.
I'm honestly surprised by this list. I never imagined that Daisy or the Monster Hunter were wanted for Smash. Captain Rainbow also surprised me since his game is rather obscure and pretty much Nintendo die-hards would probably know about it.
The other characters are fine. Paper Mario and Waluigi are often requested Mario characters, Lucina is the most requested female FE character in Japan, Dixie Kong is also rather popular over there as well, and Shulk is one of Japan's most requested characters and has been consistent on numerous lists.

However, this does not represent what Japan wants as a whole. Characters like Palutena and King K. Rool are notably absent and they are heavily wanted in Japan.

Where's Ridley?
Ridley and Metroid are not that popular in Japan, they are more popular in the west. Metroid and Punch Out!! are two series that are more popular in the west than in Japan, hence why Little Mac is such an unknown over there. They recognize Little Mac's and Ridley's "overseas popularity."

There is a lot more information on Japan's wants in this thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/obse...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/
Give it a read. It's rather interesting.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly surprised by this list. I never imagined that Daisy or the Monster Hunter were wanted for Smash. Captain Rainbow also surprised me since his game is rather obscure and pretty much Nintendo die-hards would probably know about it.
The other characters are fine. Paper Mario and Waluigi are often requested Mario characters, Lucina is the most requested female FE character in Japan, Dixie Kong is also rather popular over there as well, and Shulk is one of Japan's most requested characters and has been consistent on numerous lists.

However, this does not represent what Japan wants as a whole. Characters like Palutena and King K. Rool are notably absent and they are heavily wanted in Japan.

Ridley and Metroid are not that popular in Japan, they are more popular in the west. Metroid and Punch Out!! are two series that are more popular in the west than in Japan, hence why Little Mac is such an unknown over there. They recognize Little Mac's and Ridley's "overseas popularity."

There is a lot more information on Japan's wants in this thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/obse...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/
Give it a read. It's rather interesting.
About Shulk, is he 1st Party?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well here we are with another Mac shot!

Sakurai says: Pic of the day. Little Mac's side smash attack is his straight right punch...but it can transform into an uppercut if you tilt diagonally upward, or a body hook if you tilt diagonally downward. The body hook is the most devastating of these moves and it doesn't blast the opponents away.

And below that: The trick in activating these punches is to avoid tilting the controls diagonally from the get go--instead, tilt up or down right after the smash attack starts kicking in. You can also tilt up or down while you're powering up.

Looks like he's even more complex than we figured. Neat.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Sakurai says: Pic of the day. Little Mac's side smash attack is his straight right punch...but it can transform into an uppercut if you tilt diagonally upward, or a body hook if you tilt diagonally downward. The body hook is the most devastating of these moves and it doesn't blast the opponents away.

And below that: The trick in activating these punches is to avoid tilting the controls diagonally from the get go--instead, tilt up or down right after the smash attack starts kicking in. You can also tilt up or down while you're powering up.

I'm glad that we're getting more of Little Mac in the pics of the day. I was getting worried for a moment that Sakurai was trying to avoid using him because of his mixed reception in Japan.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm pretty sure the reception here was no more "mixed" than it was here. There's a fair number of people in the States that had no idea who he was either. Granted, it's not nearly as many compared to people who wanted him, but I don't think Sakurai is so easily affected by things like that.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Digging the variability in the Side Smash.

Though, it leaves me with some questions:
1.) Will other characters have anything like this?
2.) If not, could this be part of the one of the "unique systems" Sakurai mentioned was exclusive to the 3DS version?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm sure Sakurai wouldn't restrict literal fighting mechanics to one version or the other.

I'd sort of been hoping Takamaru would have something like this though, where he'd be able to combo one Smash with another if uncharged.

Pretty sure this one'll be unique to Mac though, because it really only works with boxing in the way I see it presented.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I was recently thinking about Kirby, and how he'd work after copying Little Mac. If I have to guess, he'll have Little Mac's hair, and gains the ability to utilize the 1-hit KO Punch himself.

ErictheLone

Smash Apprentice
Great update! Selfishly I do kinda hope that Mac is the only one with this, but this game will be DEEP if everyone does.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I'm sure Sakurai wouldn't restrict literal fighting mechanics to one version or the other.
True, true. My theory was a crackpot one at best. Someone pointed out that these two gifs shows his normal Forward Smash and his Up-Tilted Forward Smash (the attack that sends Link into the air), so they are in both versions.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord

The body hook reminds me of the gutter punch technique you can do in the NES.

Top Bottom