• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I was so happy yesterday I did not except mac to get confirmed (athough the thing that screamed the hint is next level tweeting the direct)

By the way for me I'm down to 3 characters then I won't care who gets in and out

Mewtwo
ROB
And ofcoarse the 3rd hype character if confirmed Ridley

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I would have preferred the opening theme for Punch Out!! Wii. But still, I can't complain considering the quality of Little Mac.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
While its to early to say his air game is bad, I think it can be agreed that his ground game is just vastly superior and where he wants to be. I imagine he also wants to avoid platforned stages (his own stage is probably best for him but its a walk off so who knows where it ends up)

Only way I see Little Mac being able to do any Edge guarding is if he has super armor on his air attacks.
I also wonder if his (side b?) will be useful for an horizontal recovery like Ike's Quick draw.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I also wonder if his (side b?) will be useful for an horizontal recovery like Ike's Quick draw.
I was wondering the same thing. It looks like it has to be charged, so you'd probably want to use it when you're above the stage rather than horizontal from the platform.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I think it's already been confirmed his air game is garbage: rewatch the trailer- Doc even says, "You ain't no air fighter, Mac. Quit fooling around up there. Smash ain't no joke!" when he "attacks" Wii Fit Trainer right before he attempts to recover.

........I've watched this trailer waaaaaay too many times, but i can't help it. Too hyped up!

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Little Mac is one of those characters everyone expected, yet everyone is hyped when he is revealed. Anyways, he was in my top ten most wanted characters, so I'm happy.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It wasn't a dream!! XD

That's one helluva dash attack there!

I've been watching Miiverse posts lately, and I can say that most of the comments are praising Little Mac's inclusion. There's just one oddball out of the whole page dissing the Mac, but the rest is either excited as hell, or got excited after the trailer when initially they didn't care about the character.

-
p.s. Am I the only one who noticed that the initial Training Music at the start of the video has the bass playing almost exactly like EYE OF THE TIGER? (Not Katie Perry's)

ps2: Just made the dumb mistake of watching the trailer while playing Eye of the Tiger at the same time. And I'm shocked at how perfectly well the song blends with the trailer. O_O I'm now trying to make it a video.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
The only thing I'm not too keen about Mac is his boxing style is pretty crazy. I'm just saying this from a real life boxer's point of view. I know, I know Smash Bros isn't suppose to be realistic but some of the pics I can't help but think "Wow, that's poor form."

So Mac's charge attack (which I like to call Zee Uppercut!!!) is a one-hit KO when fully charged. That seems pretty OP.

@shinhed-echi: I noticed it too. I've trying to make a remix called "Eye of the Bowser" I'm really bad at it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So Mac's charge attack (which I like to call Zee Uppercut!!!) is a one-hit KO when fully charged. That seems pretty OP.
I bet that the move is very high risk and high reward. As someone mentioned before, Little Mac's meter was most likely sped up as Bowser's damage was different before and after when he got hit by the OHKO move.

I think that it will be reminiscent of the Punch Out!! games where if you get hit, you will lose a part of the meter. I think this move might be easy to dodge.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Well I could never get Link's charged spin attack to work in Brawl so it is easy to dodge. It looks like he doesn't flinch when he takes damage so it could be more useful.

Looking at the trailer again I really want to see how he would do in the homerun contest.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well I could never get Link's charged spin attack to work in Brawl so it is easy to dodge. It looks like he doesn't flinch when he takes damage so it could be more useful.

Looking at the trailer again I really want to see how he would do in the homerun contest.
I think the KO move is a little too vertical for HRC. But I guess it's worth a try. :D

Do you have a slowed down version of this?
Not mine, sorry. :(

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I think it's already been confirmed his air game is garbage: rewatch the trailer- Doc even says, "You ain't no air fighter, Mac. Quit fooling around up there. Smash ain't no joke!" when he "attacks" Wii Fit Trainer right before he attempts to recover.

........I've watched this trailer waaaaaay too many times, but i can't help it. Too hyped up!
I'm hearing it as "you ain't no out fighter". An out fighter is a boxer that keeps his distance and uses speed (for dodging maneuvers) and range in favor of power, which is the opposite of Mac's style.

Though considering the context, "no air fighter" is probably right.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Punch Out Wii multiplayer is cool and Giga Mac is awesome. What´s the problem?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The only thing I'm not too keen about Mac is his boxing style is pretty crazy. I'm just saying this from a real life boxer's point of view. I know, I know Smash Bros isn't suppose to be realistic but some of the pics I can't help but think "Wow, that's poor form."
I kinda share your sentiments here. His boxing style is really exaggerated, and there's definitely a lot of instances where he's out of balance lol.

I don't mind though, honestly I'm just glad his style is still traditional even if it is a little over the top.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
While the lack of Dempsey roll is saddening, I'm personally looking forward to going all Broly on my opponents. :3
He has Sendo's Smash and Date's Corkscrew (really exaggerated, and in the form of an uppercut, much like Dudley's Rocket Upper in street fighter) but not Dempsey Roll. Kinda funny when you think about it haha.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
So something Ive just realized (while trying to reget Vegas so I can actually break this trailer down) is more than just his star punch seems to utilize his KO meter. Another poster (sorry I don't remember the name or even the thread) noticed that Mac's Up-B was different the two times we saw it. The first used against Link as a combo ender, was red. The second being him trying to recover after that failed Fair, where his fist shined blue.

Now something that seems implied in the trailer is that this red Up-B has the more vertical distance gained than the blue fist. Now, why is this important? Mac's gauge has 7 levels.

0-White, No Bars
1-Blue, 1-2 Bars
2-Green, 3-4 Bars
3- Yellow, 5-6 Bars
4-Orange, 7-8 Bars
5- Red, 9-10 Bars
6- K.O., 11 Bars (Listed as just K.O.)

My theory is simple, the level of your gauge determines the properties and damage or your Neutral B, Up B and Side B. White likely falls into the blue category, but it could be it's own level. K.O. of course being the highest, where the moves being extremely dangerous and versatile, and the various levels inbetween. So in the case of Up B for example, the vertical height at Bars 1-3 is an awful recovery. At Red power though?!.....still pretty bad, but does travel farther. Basically, the current color level determines the aura the move produces and thus, how powerful it is. Also as to why I say K.O. is an 11th bar seperate from 10? In the footage thats sped up the sped up editing lasts until KO appears, as can be noticed by the flame on the icon. Unfortunately without Vegas I can't figure out the exact time it takes for it to fully charge, but someones estimate of about 10 seconds sounds about right.

So basically, true to Punch Out, the longer you can evade (and in the case of Sm4sh, endure) an opponents Attack, the more powerful your own arsenal becomes. Amazing service to Little Mac if I do say so myself, Sakurai turned our boxer into more than just some lame punchy character, but someone who truly encompasses the series he comes from.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That could explain his dashing straight having two version, and also a version that's basically an uppercut.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
This I believe is more just a difference between B's, rather than different levels.
I'm not sure though. Considering the counter, the charge punch (the straight), the leaping punch and the corkscrew uppercut it seems we already know what they are. The moves I mentioned seem to be variation of the charging punch.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Ah, I got what you mean now. I guess that would make the straight the Neutral B, and it ends in the Uppercut when Mac hits K.O.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I still think the leaping hammer punch is a short-hop aerial. Though I guess the way his fist turn blue does make it look kinda like a special. Need more info.

As for the two kinds of drill uppers, an alternative explanation could be that the drill continues only if you hit the opponent. Though the power level explanation does make sense.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
He has Sendo's Smash and Date's Corkscrew (really exaggerated, and in the form of an uppercut, much like Dudley's Rocket Upper in street fighter) but not Dempsey Roll. Kinda funny when you think about it haha.
That made it all more awesome.
Hajime no Ippo in a nutshell. I'm somehow extremely pleased with this. :3

I'd normally share the sentiment that Little Mac is a bit overboard with this super wild boxing style he picked up... But why not?
I mean, it's not dirty boxing. And on another hand I think it was a necessary style adaptation to be able to duke it out with the rest.
I guess it had to become flashier so even non-fans could feel the hype? XD

Morbi

Scavenger
So something Ive just realized (while trying to reget Vegas so I can actually break this trailer down) is more than just his star punch seems to utilize his KO meter. Another poster (sorry I don't remember the name or even the thread) noticed that Mac's Up-B was different the two times we saw it. The first used against Link as a combo ender, was red. The second being him trying to recover after that failed Fair, where his fist shined blue.

Now something that seems implied in the trailer is that this red Up-B has the more vertical distance gained than the blue fist. Now, why is this important? Mac's gauge has 7 levels.

0-White, No Bars
1-Blue, 1-2 Bars
2-Green, 3-4 Bars
3- Yellow, 5-6 Bars
4-Orange, 7-8 Bars
5- Red, 9-10 Bars
6- K.O., 11 Bars (Listed as just K.O.)

My theory is simple, the level of your gauge determines the properties and damage or your Neutral B, Up B and Side B. White likely falls into the blue category, but it could be it's own level. K.O. of course being the highest, where the moves being extremely dangerous and versatile, and the various levels inbetween. So in the case of Up B for example, the vertical height at Bars 1-3 is an awful recovery. At Red power though?!.....still pretty bad, but does travel farther. Basically, the current color level determines the aura the move produces and thus, how powerful it is. Also as to why I say K.O. is an 11th bar seperate from 10? In the footage thats sped up the sped up editing lasts until KO appears, as can be noticed by the flame on the icon. Unfortunately without Vegas I can't figure out the exact time it takes for it to fully charge, but someones estimate of about 10 seconds sounds about right.

So basically, true to Punch Out, the longer you can evade (and in the case of Sm4sh, endure) an opponents Attack, the more powerful your own arsenal becomes. Amazing service to Little Mac if I do say so myself, Sakurai turned our boxer into more than just some lame punchy character, but someone who truly encompasses the series he comes from.
I hope this to be the case, everyone was speculating that he would be the opposite of Lucario (in terms of mechanics) and nothing overtly indicated such during the trailer, but if the up specials were truly different (not in a Mario/Luigi way upon connection) this meet our expectations and make him one of the most versatile characters. However, if his up-special is only extended upon hit confirmation, the move may be specific to his star uppercut.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I'm hearing it as "you ain't no out fighter". An out fighter is a boxer that keeps his distance and uses speed (for dodging maneuvers) and range in favor of power, which is the opposite of Mac's style.

Though considering the context, "no air fighter" is probably right.
I never knew what an out fighter was. I heard it as air fighter, but that could also be right.

D

Deleted member

Your wish is my command!

This is a beautiful attack...
What I like about it is that it confirms Melee's momentum. I know that characters got heavily nerfed in Brawl due to the momentum getting removed. So, the physics change will definitely buff characters like Captain Falcon again.

Morbi

Scavenger
What I like about it is that it confirms Melee's momentum. I know that characters got heavily nerfed in Brawl due to the momentum getting removed. So, the physics change will definitely buff characters like Captain Falcon again.
Yeah, Little Mac's trailer seemed to confirm a lot about the physics. For instance, gravity is going to be making a return!

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Oh god, oh good god I was hoping for a Dempsey Roll.

This is one of those things that SHOULD be in. The Dempsey roll is too amazing to leave out of this moveset.

Also, the theme of Ippo's Dempsey Roll and Ippo's anime. :awesome:

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I feel like the thread title should be changed to something else given that Mac's confirmed now.

"Doc's Training Lounge" (copyright Banjodorf 2014) is probably better for Tactical Discussion once the game is out. (BEST NAME DO NOT STEAL :troll: )

Hmm....

OH! How about "W.V.B.A. Hall of Fame: Little Mac General Discussion"?

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
It wasn't a dream!! XD

That's one helluva dash attack there!
Isn't this the dash attack?

he doesn't leap in the air like he does in the gif you posted.
Could it be his f+air? or possibly is this the alt version of his side special when he is in the air???

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
the attack used to attack mega man is definitely the side special. he flashes before the jump, and has super armor while in the air. this couldn't have been a short hop into a f-air, because there was a lack of an aerial dodge to bypass MM's F-smash. not to mention the jump doesn't match the initial jump shown when mac jumped into the arena, or when he jumped to attack WFT.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah. Pretty certain the ridiculous lunge is the side special for exactly the same reasons. He needed a gap closer with all the close range blows anyway, and a regular short hop wouldn't cover THAT distance.

On a side note, could someone stop liking every single post in every thread? It's a little bit concerning, and it takes away from the actual (if limited) value of a number of likes on a post. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom