• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide List of Mega Man's Techniques and Tricks

D

Deleted member

Recorded with the best potato i could find.

Against Fox and Falco if they side B onto stage, yes, it works.

Pretty sure it doesn't work on anyone else, and not even on them if they sweetspot the ledge. For up b's that go over the ledge like Kirby's, i guess it could work too if you time it right but in those cases you are better off going for a meteor or something else.
That's pretty freaking awesome.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I didn't realize we could do that. I'm gonna have to try that. If they sweet spot it can you still hit them or is it only if they go slightly above the ledge?

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
does uptilting near the ledge work?
Yes, it even sweet spots death if you are very precise. Up tilt, being a move with invulnerability can be used against your opponent on the ledge especially when you have a good read on your opponent that he will use the attack get up option. It can also be used when opponents hang on the ledge which still can potentially sweet spot.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I've been messing around with invinci-blade right before landing on rush in training. It seems pretty cool, you get a falling hit box from blade, invincibility, and landing on rush cancels your air dodge lag. You can also catch the blade, insta-throw it, or do an aerial while grabbing blade after bouncing off rush. You can even do the short hop bounce off rush.

I kind of like the down air recatch and the front air recatch short hopped off rush. It seems like those would punish someone trying to get you with an aerial.

So for example, the way I'm practicing is:

1. Use rush
2. After doing flip, invinci-blade
3. Land on rush
4. Use grab, any aerial, or insta-toss inputs. To do short hopped, I think you can just press jump at same time as what you want to do

Is this possibly useful, or just fancy stuff?

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I don't think it would be very useful, maybe to catch the opponent off guard but I don't think it would be worth it to do it more than a few times in a match

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Certainly not something to use a lot. Maybe just something to add to bag of tricks. I'm thinking use it when returning from high up, drop a rush and fast fall. Opponent will try to punish as you approach rush. Dodge them and punish after bouncing. If they bait an air dodge, you're much safer having rush underneath.

Thinking more about it, dodging right above rush seems handy. Having a metal blade in hand and dropping it is just kind of a bonus.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I'm having trouble doing short hops with MB, dropping, and recatching into lemons.

Which is better?

1. Jump backwards, return to neutral, zdrop, attack
2. Jump straight up, zdrop, input back, return to neutral, attack

I'd think 1 since less inputs, but I'm about equally bad with both. Any tips?

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine

Press back as early as possible to give yourself more time to return to neutral maybe.

D

Deleted member

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse. But I finally got to play some Smash over the weekend. And got some footage of ledge-trumping to guaranteed BAir.

At kill percents, I think this is one of Mega's best option on the ledge:

Good for mindgames too; eventually your opponents (depending on their distance from the ledge) which try to psych you out and hit you above the ledge. And you can punish them there too.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Hope I'm not beating a dead horse. But I finally got to play some Smash over the weekend. And got some footage of ledge-trumping to guaranteed BAir.

At kill percents, I think this is one of Mega's best option on the ledge:

Good for mindgames too; eventually your opponents (depending on their distance from the ledge) which try to psych you out and hit you above the ledge. And you can punish them there too.
That is really though timing but seems great once you learn it

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I've figured out to practice some MB techs, its faster to flood training mode with Mr saturns than rethrow MB each time

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Good for ditcit forward throw practice. As well as jump cancel glide toss. Also all if the Zdrop combos.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Are those tough to pull off? Also is it tough on n actual opponent?

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
The SB one is much easier than the MB one. The MB one only works if the blade hits the enemy juuust right. SB causes more knockback (and hitstun, I think) and easily makes the opponent land on Rush.

If the opponent is used to Rush shenanigans, all they need to do is use a midair jump immediately after bouncing off of Rush. This will most likely ruin this string as its all dependant upon height. But, if you have the element of surprise, then, hehehehe...

I discovered this late last night and could only test it against a CPU. If there's enough interest I'll gladly test it against my buddy, 7, sometime soon!

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Since Rush needs to be near the opponent, I'm not sure if that'll work. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying! :)

EDIT: Oh my god, it does work. You can jump towards your opponent > diagonal down MB > Rush and force your opponent on Rush as well > Uair > bounce on Rush again > Rush again mid air and force opponent on Rush > Uair.

I don't feel like making a video right now. If requested, I will later! :)

Last edited:

ElRammo

Smash Rookie
Haha I did it to someone in for glory, I have to make 10 posts before I can link a video though!

I think I slightly botched it even, I did it at around 70% - it's total jank but there's a possibility that it'll outdamage and therefore be better than a non-KO shoryu that you'd otherwise get even if you don't get a KO but manage to link two uairs (since the damage is pretty high). Needs more testing and more hapless FG victims.

Needs a name. The z1gma up up and away (no not really)

ElRammo

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnIg9gFc1q4&feature=youtu.be
does it werk

started @ 31% and killed at 62% by my estimation

lol

edit: posted to megamanmains subreddit, credit and link to here included.
double edit: it's not exactly the same as ENKER's description, needs some fiddling with a willing candidate really to figure out if it's something to be used outside of FG

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
As with everything involving rush, i think it might caught the opponent off guard but definitely not something to abuse.

He was mashing attack but didn't managed to hit you when you both went up, maybe if he mashed something other than nair, i don't know. Also he could definitely DI'd to the sides or something before that final air shooter, but again, not like he was expecting it.

Still, situational and a tad risky, but that could be said from pretty much all our techniques. Lets try it is out on some random FG people, if it works there, test it out on ladder/friendly matches or whatever.

ElRammo

Smash Rookie
I did it vs a roy and noted that his nair clipped me. It's stricter spacing than the z1gma, but it can deal more damage. Just gotta figure out if two uairs can at least be consistent, it's possible that the opponent can't DI enough in time for those.

Also consider that z1gma in a tense game is so strong I sometimes find myself going in on my metal blade without the hit confirm - this is a "safer" option since rather than risking whiffing a shoryu into shield or spot dodge (free hard punish) if you don't get the hit confirm you can still leave unscathed.

Play with it guys we'll figure out if it's viable faster! Remember the fact that two uairs at low % is greater than a shoryu and puts your opponent in an unfavourable position (it's not hard to frametrap a falling opponent with a MB/fast fall fsmash).

D

Deleted member

I'm gonna try it out tonight. I use diagonal MB a lot for mixups; following up with grabs, pivot grabs, DAirs, UTilt, et cetera. Adding this in there would be quite interesting.

D

Deleted member

I agree only because I don't really use customs, haha.
But it looks pretty crisp. Of course, this depends on if the player would try to attack you in the air like that, or try to avoid Air Shooter. In either case, I actually think it's relatively safe.

So worth trying.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Really seems worth trying out, but i still think it's kinda of a "one thing only", to catch your opponent off guard.

Is kinda like what @Dezmu, does to people respawning after a KO.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I found a decent little trick:

If you z-drop an item and continue to hold the z button as you land on the ground, you will buffer into a shield that will come out on the earliest possible frame when you land. You can fast fall after z-dropping to get down quickly.

It's possible to short hop, z-drop into metal blade, fast fall, land into a power shield, short hop, z-catch metal blade, rinse and repeat. Timing is pretty tight but it seems like it could be a neat approach option.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I hate to shoot down ideas like this but I feel like the rush into air shooter thing will only work on FG players. Any smart player will DI out of the way of a second air shooter or second rush bounce.

I had someone try it on me once and it was really easy to get out of

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Agreed. Still flashy and cool enough to keep in our back pockets! :)

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Heh, I just learned from an overzealous Yoshi on For Glory that you can footstool to escape shield break stun if you're midair. So, if you ever get your shield broken, mash that jump button and hope that your opponent runs in for a usmash a little too quickly :)

PokéMurio

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if this belongs here or if this has been discovered already, but I found this funny Mega Man trick

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I'm not sure if this belongs here or if this has been discovered already, but I found this funny Mega Man trick
Hah! It's not one for the guide, which is competitively oriented, but that's a pretty funny little parlor trick.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to do a double jump into dair, and land on metal blade and do "tricks" with mb. I know how to land it without lag, but can't do anything like insta-toss, jab/ftilt blade pick up, etc. I can do aerial and z-grab blade if I wait a moment.

I was really hoping you could do a rising MB thrown down, double jump, into dair into tricks. I assume because certain tricks must be initiated in the air, and there just isn't time to do it after dair.

Last edited:

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I found a decent little trick:

If you z-drop an item and continue to hold the z button as you land on the ground, you will buffer into a shield that will come out on the earliest possible frame when you land. You can fast fall after z-dropping to get down quickly.

It's possible to short hop, z-drop into metal blade, fast fall, land into a power shield, short hop, z-catch metal blade, rinse and repeat. Timing is pretty tight but it seems like it could be a neat approach option.
Even something as simple as backward jump to zdrop held, land, then jump back air recatch blade seems good. You don't need to wait for blade to hit ground if you fast fall after dropping. Or you can throw in a quick spot dodge upon landing while holding z, then do the backair MB grab. This would punish someone trying to shield grab you when you drop blade.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Don't think this has been found or mentioned before but correct me if i'm wrong.

I have done this 2 times and have tried many times in training mode to replicate it to no avail.

Basically it is a retreating MB insta catch.

How I did it is I was retreating from an opponent and I threw a MB diagonal down towards my backside away from my opponent, and I caught the MB while both myself and the MB were in the air, it was almost an instant air catch. Not sure how I did it but it could be an extremely quick way to get MB in hand. I for sure did it 2 times.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Don't think this has been found or mentioned before but correct me if i'm wrong.

I have done this 2 times and have tried many times in training mode to replicate it to no avail.

Basically it is a retreating MB insta catch.

How I did it is I was retreating from an opponent and I threw a MB diagonal down towards my backside away from my opponent, and I caught the MB while both myself and the MB were in the air, it was almost an instant air catch. Not sure how I did it but it could be an extremely quick way to get MB in hand. I for sure did it 2 times.
I'm gonna write up a quick metal blade guide on all the options for getting and using metal blades. This would be a good addition. Were you close to ground when you caught it? Did you do a full jump, short hop + full jump, or double full jump, or were you falling from from being hit?

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I believe both times it was full jump and I believe I caught it before I reached short hop height so relatively quick catch.

I think I accidentally did diagonal blade away and was trying to do diagonal blade forward. Not sure if that affected it at all.
Also I don't think it was a b reversal or abything

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
I'm gonna write up a quick metal blade guide on all the options for getting and using metal blades. This would be a good addition. Were you close to ground when you caught it? Did you do a full jump, short hop + full jump, or double full jump, or were you falling from from being hit?
I have done this once or twice, it looks sick when done right

Top Bottom