• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of Kirby Strategies & Techniques

LaserLockOn

Smash Rookie
One day I decided to list out everything I know about playing Kirby in hopes of teaching the youthful Kirby pupils, this is what it turned out to be. I'm also apparently new here in SmashBoards, and this is my first post, so hooray for me [:
Please remember that these are only all of the strategies and techniques that I've collected through my smash experience and is sharing with the community. Please also feel free to share some additional information that I even don't know, or that anyone doesn't know.

Edgeguarding

Dair Edgeguard
1. Dair Spike: At least every Kirby user should know this. Kirby's easiest edgeguard tool. Also can be combined with a footstool. Recommended against easy targets, not recommended against opponents with a powerful UpB.
2. Dair Intercept: The opponent tries to get onto the stage from the ledge, only to meet with Kirby's Dair when getting back up.

Fair Wall of Pain
Never got many opportunities to do this, but at least I know it exists. Kirby's Fair can repeatedly be used off-stage and force opponents off the screen while Kirby safely recovers back.
Recommended against heavy fighters, except Gannondorf (Ganoncide SideB, high risk, victim; me)

Final Cutter Spike
Kirby's final cutter can spike opponents, low chances if they're evasive but powerful tool. If it doesn't sweetspot you can still use other options.

Bair KO
Pretty easy with practice at recognizing what the opponent will do next. Face backwards near the ledge the player will recover at. Depending on what option he/she will take, effectively react and counter with Bair. Bair is Kirby's fastest move and KO option, so the player would be taking quite a punch.
1. If the opponent attacks, shield and Bair.
2. If the opponent jumps, jump and Bair.
3. If the opponent rolls, react and use a different attack to intercept where the opponent will be.
4. If the opponent camps the ledge, go offstage and Bair.
5. If the opponent stands up, grab. It's the hardest one to catch.
6. if the opponent tries to enjoy a nice cup of tea, Bair them and their tea!

Hammer KO Edgeguarding
A little ambitious, and a very punishable KO move. Go big or go home.
1. Hammer Ledge: As you might know, Hammer Flip can attack vulnerable opponents hanging onto the ledge when fully charged. What a surprise they'll be in for.
2. Hammer Jump: The opponent might jump or attack from the ledge. Jump to catch the opponent midair or jump to dodge the ledge attack.
3. Falling Hammer: Maximum Awesomeness. The opponent decides to fall in and land straight for the stage from above. Jump a couple times into the air, hold a Hammer Flip and fall to match the opponent's descend. Lastly go in for the attack midair for a satisfying finisher. I used to do this, but it sorta dwindled.
4. Hammer Dive: Opponent decides to come from under the stage horizontally. Go big and take the leap with the hammer.
5. Hammer Intercept: Simple scenario, opponent goes onto the stage, intercept them with a hammer.
Not recommended against fast recovery opponents.

Inhale/ Kirbycide
Very risky if the opponent is smart, if so go for a midair inhale, OR don't hold your inhale for so long. You can either spit out the player and follow up or copy their powers for a better edge in battle. Alternatively go for the Kirbycide, which is pretty jerkish but effective. Remember to eat your Little Macs for lunch.

Stone KO Edgeguard
My favorite and most used option. Can KO.
1. Off-Stage Stone: Opponent tries to recover from under the stage, use Kirby's DownB all the way below the stage to intercept them hard. Be sure to transform back out. This allows invincibility against opponents with hitboxes in their UpB. Chances that they can try to avoid it by moving away.
2. On-Stage Stone: The opponent is sick of getting hit by Kirby's Stone! This time he decides to land ON the stage instead of under! Nope, On-Stage Stone, predicted their landing trajectory and hit them good. Alternatively use a Hammer Intercept as well.
Cannot use against light recoveries or fast horizontal recovery.

Kirby Combos!

Most of Kirby's combos consist of Dair combos, which really easily racks up damage. However Dair is pretty hard to land without getting punished, more options should be considered, like using Fair. If you land before the third strike of the attack is made, the knockback is canceled, allowing elaboration. In brackets means sure hits, while outside means follow-ups. These were all tested on Mario. "Marios were harmed in the making of this tutorial".

Key~
Dair / Fair ~ Dair or Fair
[ ] ~ Sure hits
+ ~ Connecting attacks
* ~ # of times
? ~ Unknown

[Dair/Fair + Jab] (Any%; 18%; All)
~ Only the if opponent is too far to connect with a grab.

[Dair/Nair+ Utilt*?] (Any%; ?%; All)
~ Juggling using the Utilt after Dair or Nair. Works better when the opponent is behind Kirby after Dair/Nair.

[Bgrab + Bair] (Near 0%; 21%; Heavy)
~ Connect with Bair right after Back grab. Very low chance of connect, but very fast.

[Bgrab + Bair] + Utilt*2 + Bair*2 (Near 0%; 57%; Heavy)
~ Only works at 0% in order to connect the Utilt.

[Dair/Fair + Fgrab ] + Fair + Fsmash (Near 0%; 34-40%; Mid - Heavy)
~ Dair or Fair, connect with a forward grab, connect Fair midair and finish with a Fsmash Very effective against heavy fighters.

Fgrab + Fair + Fsmash (Near 0%; 30%; Mid)
~ Simpler version of the combo above.

[Dtilt trip + Fsmash ] (Low%; 21%; Any)
~ Dtilt trips the player, follow with a Fsmash

[Dair/Fair/Nair + Fgrab ] + Fair + DashAttack (Low %; 28-35%; Mid - Heavy)
~ Follow up with a Dash Attack.

[Dair/Fair + Fgrab ] + UpB (Mid%; 25%; Any)
~ Connect with Final Cutter to strike opponents back on the ground. Main method of making damage in mid%.

[Dair/Nair + Utilt*2 ] + Fair + UpB (Mid%; 27-29%; Mid - Heavy)

[Dair/Fair + Ugrab ] (High%; 21-26%; Any)

[Dair + Dsmash] (Any%; 23%; KO combo; Any )

~ Main KO method

[Midair Dair + Usmash] (Kill%; 21% KO combo; Mid - Heavy)

A majority of these combo won't properly work against light fighters, like Jigglypoof.

Strategies

Jumping
It should be noted that jumping is also an option in dodging an attack. USE IT. Most Kirby players would also know that Kirby's jumps can bait an attack from the opponent and then punish. The timing and sync of Kirby's jumps are extremely important, however. Always remember to never overcommit an attack or you'll be paying heavily.

Ducking
Actually works quite amazingly, along with Kirby's Usmash. Kirby can dodge lot of attacks while ducking, especially attacks from Capt. Falcon . Use it to your advantage.

Punishing Smash Holding
It should be obvious that when an opponent is holding an Usmash, you should stone them, right? If they're charging an Fsmash or Dsmash, you can attack towards the vulnerable areas of the attack which is typically on the head of the fighter, if you can remember and recognize each move.

Land to Air
A fake out strategy. When an opponent tries to attack from the air, jump and air dodge away from their landing trajectory and come back in with a combo to punish their landing lag. A notable example is Bowser's DownB, dodge in the air to avoid the shockwave and punish; there's even enough lag in the landing to go for a hammer too! If the opponent is trying to land to tries to air dodge an attack they're expecting, use the Land to Air strategy to punish the landing lag.

Fake Approach
Most useful against counter spammers. The opponent expects that you'll charge in for the attack and counters, but you air dodge in the air instead (Just in case the the opponent decides to attack instead). When their counter is over, you can punish.

Fair Distancing
For getting closer to opponents, blocking projectiles, and attacking opponents dumb enough to approach kirby in the air with this. Just jump and repeatedly and use Fair in accordance to jumps while staying in the air. Kirby's Fair lasts fairly long with multiple hitboxes, making it an effective shield for defending your position. Be wary of grounded and disjointed attacks. Why not Bair? Because opponents will be more wary of it if you start spamming it, so hold on to it until the right moment.

Hup Cancel
A hup cancel is a landing lag cancellation, making kirby able to land without an lag. To perform this, use Dair and instantly land at only startup of the attack, leaving kirby only saying "Hup". Everyone knows how anyone can become vulnerable during landing lag and will likely try to attack. Not Kirby though, use this psychology to your advantage and attack with a surprise smash, shield, or duck. In addition, this will increase Kirby's mobility after he's low on jumps.

Bair Counter
If the opponent attacks from behind, shield or duck, then punish with Bair.

That's most of all of the stuff I know or have the effort to type down! Most of which is how I play as Kirby. Hope this'll be helpful for those fellow Kirby mainers out there. Some of this information doesn't apply to just Kirby, but a couple other fighters too. Of course it won't be everything there is to know but it's at least basics from my perspective. Thanks for reading, and please don't use this information against me while fighting me.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Really nice, I've been learning Kirby for a while now, but I can't seem to understand the Dair comboes and lag cancellation. Do you have a video perhaps?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Really nice, I've been learning Kirby for a while now, but I can't seem to understand the Dair comboes and lag cancellation. Do you have a video perhaps?
The "lag cancellation" used with HUP Cancelling isn't actually having D-Air come out. HUP Cancelling is done by touching the ground before the hitbox for D-Air comes out, as you have no landing lag due to nothing actually being done.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
What an excellent guide. I'll be using this a lot, I think!

Nickname87

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nickname8877
i found a small move that really helps ko characters pretty well ( especially heavy charaters). After a character gets launced a little off screen but doesnt get ko'd you can use 2 jumps torwards them and then if you time it right suck them up and use the star shot to spit them off the screen and into the ko zone. if they are really heavy thought it will make them not be able to get back to the stage if ( almost guaranteed if they used a jump before you ate them. The only bad part about this is if you hold the nuetral b for too long you might not be able to recover your self)

Last edited:

Salad Bowl

Banned via Warnings
NNID
SaladBowl41
This is really useful for all the new kirby mains. Thanks for putting in so much effort

@Aleate if ur still trying kirby out, this thread might help a lot.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Good guide for beginners, as well as for some veterans. I could use refining for my techniques with Kirby, especially combos.

LaserLockOn

Smash Rookie
Just a little sample here. A ton of more stuff can be done with Dair, though the Dair to Grab wasn't shown. Just to give an idea of what it's supposed to look like.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
I've found some neat things

Match ups

Link's projectile spam
Kirby's jab can repel the gale boomerang and even arrows if they aren't fully charged and land above his fists.
Though ducking helps too and you'll also be blown a bit closer when the boomerang comes back.

Gimping Sheik
Almost impossible to gimp with Dair due to frames of her UpB when she jumps and uses vanish. It's like she's invulnerable .
I've found that stone pretty much negates it and clobbers her. So this adds some points to the stone edge guard strategy.

Megaman's blades
The timing for catching the metal blade is actually pretty easy. I always come out using Fair but still I've been able to catch it consistently after watching MikeKirby xD

Custom
For brave foes that attack as soon as you copy their ability . You could try using jumping inhale to jump and scoop them up from the ground to off stage . That might deter them...

I'd suggest Upper Cutter if you're relying on stone for edge guarding as Kirby can quickly snap the edge. Really speeds up his recovery.

I've found grounding stone kind of handy aside from mind games...if you do happen to catch someone it's pretty much a free hammer to the face.Which is always nice xD Though I'd recommend Hammer Bash

Meteor stone if you're going to use it is rather risky for edge guarding so be sure to pair it with upper cutter and make sure you have some jumps to spare. Pays off though if you do catch someone

Also I've found hammer bash a really useful punish tool when someone whiffs an attack or recovers from a landing. How quickly does it come out? It might even be roughly around the speed of the Forward smash.
Can someone check?

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
That's true but if you jab it you can prevent it from pushing you.
As the boomerang comes back it can still push Kirby while he ducks.
Still considering whether you'd want it to push you closer...

When playing as Link I use the gale boomerang to bring people closer and right into my forward smash xD

Last edited:
Top Bottom