• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Liquid Crystal Dragon Style: Intermediate Game & Watch Guide

Liquid Crystal Dragon Style: Intermediate Game & Watch Guide

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
NouveauRétro submitted a new guide:

There were too many beginner guides, and no advanced ones so I decided to pave the way with an intermediate one.
Liquid Crystal Dragon Style: Intermediate Game & Watch Guide - Neutral Game, Maximizing Damage, and Offstage Play

Before we begin, please make sure you know the basics of Game and Watch.
Terms and other Things you should already know:
Properties of Game and Watch's moves (windboxes, when dair slowfalls, etc.)
Basic knowlwdge of G&W's custom moves
Foxtrot
Reverse Aerial Rush(RAR)
B-reversing/Wavebouncing
Table Flipping
Pivot Tilt /Pivot Smash
Basic Down Throw Combos(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZWhLNl7kM4)

Got it? Good.

Neutral Game: Offensive
One of Game and...
Read more about this guide...

Last edited:

phantoon

Smash Cadet
"These characters will pretty much be ejected on the ground in front of you, but with frame advantage to you. If you aren't confident in your footing or position, jab is guaranteed on most of them. However, if you're both on flat ground, footstool dair is guaranteed and awesome."
would you mind explaining how this works? fastfallers are the ones i have most trouble comboing so learning how to do this would be extremely helpful.

also a note on the cpt falcon specific combo: yes it does work from 0% however skilled falcons are able to shield the up-tilt and punish you with a grab. they can't do that from 4-10% iirc so this is the optimal percentage to start the combo

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
"These characters will pretty much be ejected on the ground in front of you, but with frame advantage to you. If you aren't confident in your footing or position, jab is guaranteed on most of them. However, if you're both on flat ground, footstool dair is guaranteed and awesome."
would you mind explaining how this works? fastfallers are the ones i have most trouble comboing so learning how to do this would be extremely helpful.

also a note on the cpt falcon specific combo: yes it does work from 0% however skilled falcons are able to shield the up-tilt and punish you with a grab. they can't do that from 4-10% iirc so this is the optimal percentage to start the combo
Basically, you have to jump while holding towards the opponent and jump very quickly again. It's easiest with two jump buttons but you can do it with one without much trouble if you're fast enough. You should get a grounded footstool which will combo into dair.I recommend using the c-stick to dair, because you have to perform the dair immediately after the footstool. If you lack the c-stick it's just a little harder though because you have to roll the stick from forward to down. It's kind of odd because it doesn't look like the footstool is guaranteed at all, but they cannot shield before the footstool, so it is guaranteed because the footstool animation will cancel any other attempted animation. Only works on fastfallers though.

Here's an example match where I use some of the tricks from my guide. I use the footstool trick at the 2:38 mark to better punish a whiffed fsmash.
However, I screw it up at 3:40. The timing gets tighter as the percent goes up, but I believe it's still doable at 10%, I just didn't footstool fast enough. You pretty much have to catch them in a 2 frame window where they've landed but shield won't come out yet, this gives about 3, 4 frames to catch the footstool after the dthrow lag is gone. This is much easier if the fastfaller is light like Shiek or Fox, because that means less lag at the end. That said, I need to check if this is possible on Falcon because his heavy weight might add too much endlag to the throw.

Thanks for the info on the Falcon combo, I admit it was one of the few things in this guide which I hadn't done in a real match yet. I'll change it now.

Last edited:

phantoon

Smash Cadet
Basically, you have to jump while holding towards the opponent and jump very quickly again. It's easiest with two jump buttons but you can done it with one without much trouble if you're fast enough. You should get a grounded footstool which will combo into dair.I recommend using the c-stick to dair, because you have to perform the dair immediately after the footstool. If you lack the c-stick it's just a little harder though because you have to roll the stick from forward to down. It's kind of odd because it doesn't look like the footstool is guaranteed at all, but they cannot shield before the footstool, so it is guaranteed because the footstool animation will cancel any other attempted animation. Only works on fastfallers though.

Here's an example match where I use some of the tricks from my guide. I use the footstool trick at the 2:38 mark to better punish a whiffed fsmash.
However, I screw it up at 3:40. The timing gets tighter as the percent goes up, but I believe it's still doable at 10%, I just didn't footstool fast enough. You pretty much have to catch them in a 2 frame window where they've landed but shield won't come out yet, this gives about 3, 4 frames to catch the footstool after the dthrow lag is gone. This is much easier if the fastfaller is light like Shiek or Fox, because that means less lag at the end. That said, I need to check if this is possible on Falcon because his heavy weight might add too much endlag to the throw.

Thanks for the info on the Falcon combo, I admit it was one of the few things in this guide which I hadn't done in a real match yet. I'll change it now.
thank you, i've been trying to get the timing right in training mode and so far so good!! need to try it out in a real match though

natethegreat2nd

Smash Rookie
Most helpful G&W guide I've read. And I know this character inside and out. Lots of good stuff I can't wait to try. Thanks for this :)

nmarkoutsis

Smash Rookie
Thank you for taking the time to make this guide, much appreciated. Specific MU information and the followed video are fantastic as I find MU info and non trolling videos hard to come by

Top Bottom