• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Link's Metagame Thread (Informative Quotes Can Be Found in the OP)

FSK

Smash Ace
Yeah its definitly a dash, you can compare with the first pivot grab, there is no dash dust from on that one. The second one has a clear dash dust after he has been grabbed.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Big topic for discussion is custom movesets for Link. i've decided to help support the legalization of custom characters in tournaments, and you can help by posting your top 8 custom sets here: smashboards.com/threads/top-8-max-custom-sets-for-link.380198/ if there is enough interest and posts, a poll will be made to select the top 8 custom movesets. I think this is a good idea, and i hope you guys can get some good discussion for custom link!

Zekken

Smash Rookie
[Hey guys Im kinda new and don't know all the abbreviations like MU can you help?

Rakum

Smash Rookie
Hello guys question about Bombslide. Was anyone able to do the Bombslide no.5, the one where link slides the most on the WiiU? I am able to pull off the other 4 versions off bombslide easily by now but never got the 5th one. Is the input like in brawl where you hold the direction of the "reverse fake out bombslide"? I am able to do it easily on brawl but never get it on the WiiU and if possible can someone post or upload a video of this Bombslide no.5 in the WiiU version(I saw it on 3ds already)

question number 2
how do you plant bombs?
Z-air/ grab button before you land on the ground or shortly after leaving the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seannu

Smash Rookie
NNID
ixSheng
What do you guys think of the MU's for Link against Rosalina and Luigi?

Last edited:

Zekken

Smash Rookie
Don't double post. Use the edit button instead. Bad things happen to those who double post around these parts...
I'm pretty sure I've seen you double post before...
ALSO BAD THINGS HAPPEN?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I'm pretty sure I've seen you double post before...
Yeah...I was only once because I derped bad. I asked a Mod to delete it though and posted funny pictures to compensate for the offense. Then I carried on my penitence and went through Shin's photobucket for 30 seconds. I had to leave though, my sanity and my spirit could only take so much...

ALSO BAD THINGS HAPPEN?
Yes, bad things happen

http://smashboards.com/threads/hey-listen-–-link-board-rules.380431/

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
Well my goal of being the best link has been complete! <3

Zhu Qiao
A fine display of skill today, mate. I can say with 100% certainty you are currently one of the best Links in SSB4. ^-^

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Well my goal of being the best link has been complete! <3

Zhu Qiao
A fine display of skill today, mate. I can say with 100% certainty you are currently one of the best Links in SSB4. ^-^
Sorry to bust your bubbles crush your hopes and dreams but no, you're not.

1. Who is that guy?
2. Have you played any of us?
3. Have you won any tourneys?
4. Have you seen Kirin play?
5. Do you even know who Kirin is?
6. Don't turn into a CoH.
7. Your name says Ike on it.
8. Post replays.
9. Powerstar is the entitled one in here who thinks too highly of himself .
10. This is the wrong thread to say this. Stop spamming and use the social thread for pointless social commentaries such as this one.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333

1. Who is that guy?
8. Post replays.
9. Powerstar is the entitled one in here who thinks too highly of himself.
10. This is the wrong thread to say this. Stop spamming and use the social thread for pointless social commentaries such as this one.
So true. :p
Also guys, remember to post things relevant to this thread. It was created for a reason, and I'd rather not have it get unstickied or locked.
Hello guys question about Bombslide. Was anyone able to do the Bombslide no.5, the one where link slides the most on the WiiU? I am able to pull off the other 4 versions off bombslide easily by now but never got the 5th one. Is the input like in brawl where you hold the direction of the "reverse fake out bombslide"? I am able to do it easily on brawl but never get it on the WiiU and if possible can someone post or upload a video of this Bombslide no.5 in the WiiU version(I saw it on 3ds already)
Wait, there's 5 different versions of bomb sliding? O_o

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Damn son, get rekt.

http://youtu.be/qjdQY5SOqEE

I thought you were supposed to be good Powerstar. What happened?
I never played Brawl Link seriously. I was a Lucas/Tink main then (it's under my profile pic. !! *braces for impact)
Coincidentally, this is a useful vid for bombsliding. Putting it in the OP. If we can get a Smash4 version, that'd be great.
(Btw, I get the really strange feeling that the guy in the vid sounds like a Link main. Don't know why.)

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Because our bombs don't damage us when we hit an opponent anymore, theoretically it would be possible to do a reverse fakeout to Bair, wouldn't it? That might even be a true combo.

Also, yes @ Ryu_Ken Ryu_Ken Sasook is a Link main. He even used to be the mod back on AiB during Brawl.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Because our bombs don't damage us when we hit an opponent anymore, theoretically it would be possible to do a reverse fakeout to Bair, wouldn't it? That might even be a true combo.

Also, yes @ Ryu_Ken Ryu_Ken Sasook is a Link main. He even used to be the mod back on AiB during Brawl.
That sounds about right. In my head, that's actually pretty awesome since it's more consistent than BombThrowForward>RAR Bair. If someone can confirm this on SmashWiiU with a .gif or a vid, that would be awesome.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Traps - Projectiles
With this you use the projectile to force a reaction and then have an option to cover the reaction of your opponent. With projectile traps the goal is to use your projectile to test your opponent and see what they do. Once you have observed their reactions and and most common ways of dealing with your projectile you can devise appropriate counter measures.

So now that we know what some Projectile Traps are. Let's brain storm common ways people deal with projectile spam and how do we deal with them?

For example someone running and shielding:
We can mix up and go for a grab... But going for a grab is laggy if missed, what are some other options?

What about when someone jumps over our projectiles?
How do we deal with that?

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-traps-a-primer-for-gameplay-concepts.380200/

Also wow @BryE I love his bomb up throw idea. I'm gonna start using that.

@ Ryu_Ken Ryu_Ken
Hey Powerstar9, could you link directly to the quotes? I'm just interested in seeing the original posts.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I never played Brawl Link seriously. I was a Lucas/Tink main then (it's under my profile pic. !! *braces for impact)
Coincidentally, this is a useful vid for bombsliding. Putting it in the OP. If we can get a Smash4 version, that'd be great.
(Btw, I get the really strange feeling that the guy in the vid sounds like a Link main. Don't know why.)
No wonder you like Coward Link, you used to main gay, probably ran away because Link was low tier, right? Wuss. Also yeah, Sasook is a Link Main, one of the old Link Mains. He had the best most hardcore guide on recovering for Link for Brawl and along with Blubba was nigh ungimpable.

My spam game, when I can spam (i.e. no Lag) usually consist mostly of bombs and rang. What I try to do it set traps, like Scabe said, to get the opponent to either rush in or try to jump over. How I react depends on who I'm facing. If it's a fast char that I want to keep away from me I'll either DJ into down bomb throw or shoot an arrow to stop their momentum. If they try jumping over my spam game I'll Zair for spacing or backwards SH to Gale.

Because I'm bad at spamming too much I mix a lot of aggression into the spam, so I'll spam to force an approach, and when they do I'll rush in to strike first. Works as a mind game a couple of times, but after a while they just anticipate your rushing. That's the key, never become too predictable. Spam to rush, to force and approach, DJ down bomb throw, etc.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
@ Scabe Scabe done. They're linked in the () in the spoilers.
I think just having more than 3 projectiles out at the same time makes the opponent uncomfortable (Ex. 2 Planted bomb, Boomerang). Initially, opponents will probably expect you to immediately throw out a bomb or boomerang right at them. I like to start battles off sometimes by taking out a bomb and *move in place* (helps get me psyched up and see what the opponent is going to do), and if they run up to me, I'll jump up and down throw into a Fastfalled aerial (usually Nair or Bair). If they start anticipating this and go for a shield grab, I'll just jump over them and do a JC backwards throw or plant a bomb. If it's the latter, I'll probably throw out a boomerang for the Gale effect and go for the down throw AGAIN. Ofc, I have to do this fast or else the first bomb will explode and I lose some stage control. Just goes to show how deceptively fast Link can be in this game.

One thing the opponent won't really expect much is arrows. They should be used sparingly, but effectively, since we can no longer arrow-Bomb. Uncharged-semicharged arrows can trip opponents on the stage and interrupt their approaches, so I like to use them sort of like a retreat weapon. I constantly B-Reversal/wave bounce with them just to catch the opponent off-guard.

*jumping/DJ into Fastfall, dash dancing, all that pizzazz

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink

1. Who is that guy?
8. Post replays.
9. Powerstar is the entitled one in here who thinks too highly of himself .
I will answer all these questions.
Zhu Quio is 1 of the best Ike players online.
I haven't played u guys because no1 would want to.
Yes I have on AiB for brawl.
Yes I saw him play and he died by a lazer in ssb4
I do.
Okay....... ._.
So I like to play him but My Link is better.
I will when I get time
I dont care.
And Okay

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I will answer all these questions.
Zhu Quio is 1 of the best Ike players online.
I haven't played u guys because no1 would want to.
Yes I have on AiB for brawl.
Yes I saw him play and he died by a lazer in ssb4
I do.
Okay....... ._.
So I like to play him but My Link is better.
I will when I get time
I dont care.
And Okay
Whoa, whoa. Hold on there, mate. I'd rather you not involve me in this. As much as I'd like to become one of the best, a title like that goes to Ryuga, and my Ike is just average in comparison. While I do think your Link is very good, that is still only one testimonial coming from me. Do you know of any notable players who also said good things about your Link?

Yes. More importantly, mate, I do not want to see you go down that ruinous path like CoH did. He is nice person as well as a good player from what I remember, but his fate here was sealed after he was ultimately consumed by his own ego.

Please be careful.

My sincere apologies for this being off-topic.

^-^

Last edited:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
So uhh, I learned the other day that Link's grab can grab people out of the air like every other normal grab, no longer whiffing against aerial opponents like in most Smash installments. That must be why they shortened his grab range to compensate. Worth

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Yes. More importantly, mate, I do not want to see you go down that ruinous path like CoH did. He is nice person as well as a good player from what I remember, but his fate here was sealed after he was ultimately consumed by his own ego.

Please be careful.
You are wise and so you have earned my respects. Don't worry about being off topic this once, it was necessary to save @ link and ike lover link and ike lover (god what a long name, henceforth you shall be known as LAIL) from becoming a CoH. You're welcome in our boards, please stop by social for some friendly trolling and good times.

So uhh, I learned the other day that Link's grab can grab people out of the air like every other normal grab, no longer whiffing against aerial opponents like in most Smash installments. That must be why they shortened his grab range to compensate. Worth
Yes it can, though I'm not sure what's the maximum height yet (haven't played with it enough). I do not think that's why they shortened his reach though since both things seem unrelated, and making him be able to do what pretty much every other char can does doesn't necessarily warrant what some people have called a nerf.

Concerning strategies, which stages do you think are the most favorable as a counter pick?

I have a preference towards BF, Smashville and Town and City. If Norfair becomes entirely legal I'll also choose it. I just like the freedom that the platforms give as well as the slopes beneath the ledges which lend themselves nicely for stage spikes. In the case of Norfair, I love abusing the hazards.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Well I'm sure you've played PM before. In an early build of Project M (2.0 & 2.1), Link's grab could grab people out of the air in that game too. It made approaching Link very difficult because you couldn't space attacks on Link's shield unless you had the frame advantage to avoid the shield grab.

That combined with the chaingrabs Link gained was the reason the grab working on aerial opponents is why it was reverted in PM 2.5 and onward.

I feel the testing team came to the same decision in Smash 4, and judging by how Link's grab animation was incorrect in the 3DS version, shortening his grab range was something that happened late in development.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
While I can understand what you're saying, that doesn't explain nor excuse the mismatch between the animation/visual representation and actual grab range T.T

Even still, his range is still long enough to out space any attack with possibly the sole exception of Shulk. So I believe that shortening his grab range wouldn't be fixing that problem.

Anyways, this conversation is derailing the thread. We can continue it in social.

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
You are wise and so you have earned my respects. Don't worry about being off topic this once, it was necessary to save @ link and ike lover link and ike lover (god what a long name, henceforth you shall be known as LAIL) from becoming a CoH. You're welcome in our boards, please stop by social for some friendly trolling and good times.

Yes it can, though I'm not sure what's the maximum height yet (haven't played with it enough). I do not think that's why they shortened his reach though since both things seem unrelated, and making him be able to do what pretty much every other char can does doesn't necessarily warrant what some people have called a nerf.

Concerning strategies, which stages do you think are the most favorable as a counter pick?

I have a preference towards BF, Smashville and Town and City. If Norfair becomes entirely legal I'll also choose it. I just like the freedom that the platforms give as well as the slopes beneath the ledges which lend themselves nicely for stage spikes. In the case of Norfair, I love abusing the hazards.
Sorry my friend. May we start a new?

@ Xuan Wu Xuan Wu Yes may I name them?

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Ok, so I was over in the Gay foru-woah now! put down the pitchforks! I was just over there spying to see if they had discovered any AT's that we haven't yet. I'm not defecting or associating with them. This was purely a covert snatch and grab mission...anyway. I did see one thing over there that I haven't heard mention of over here. They call it "exploding bomb duplication". Although I'm all for (as per Foxy's request) that we rename it to F Bomb. Short for phantom bomb maybe?...I dunno.

Anyway, down to what it is and how to do it. Whenever a bomb is exploding on an opponent, you can re-catch the bomb with an aerial or air dodge during the first couple frames. So the bomb will explode and do damage and then you'll have another bomb in your hands to do even more damage. The timing is stupidly strict but I managed to pull it off a couple of different ways and get a video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plk4h4ZeULY

Honestly, I don't see it being very practical. Not to mention that it'll most likely get patched out once Sakurai catches (no pun intended) wind of it. I figured I would post it anyway and see if you guys had any input on it, though.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Ok, so I was over in the Gay foru-woah now! put down the pitchforks! I was just over there spying to see if they had discovered any AT's that we haven't yet. I'm not defecting or associating with them.
You are still contaminated and must be cleansed by the Din's flames before you're deemed worthy again.

I don't see much future in it. While I do think that it will be patched as well if Sakurai ever finds out about it, it won't be that great of a loss since it's too situational. At least I can't see it as something that can be reliably used, or even as something useful at all per se.

Then again, that's just me and it's late.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
What ways would you suggest setting up a Dair spike? I've managed a couple early kills with it but it's readable at least when I do so.
(I'll be posting my vids soon. I'm a link player since 64 but only competitive for about 6 months.) a bit off topic sorry.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
What ways would you suggest setting up a Dair spike? I've managed a couple early kills with it but it's readable at least when I do so.
(I'll be posting my vids soon. I'm a link player since 64 but only competitive for about 6 months.) a bit off topic sorry.
At midhigh% near the very edge of the stage, footstoool>dthrow bomb>Dair can kill.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I only go for the spike when reading a recovery, so as a gimp (very creative, I know, thanks). So I'll either do the tried and true bthrow to dair, which could be replaced with nair, zair, or rang for mind games and to become unpredicatble, or else try to punish slow recoveries, like FOx7Falco, DK, Bowser, D3, etc. The key for this is simply to wait until they have committed to the move, essentially, already started their recovery (hence the need for slow recoveries) and then just punish.

brown694

Smash Rookie
NNID
browns694
3DS FC
4313-0620-5972
I'm trying to become more of a competitive type player with the new game, and after using the dash attack for approaches and follow ups in brawl, I was wondering what Link's best approaches are. I'm trying to get out of that habit of the dash attack because it's so punishable.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I'm trying to become more of a competitive type player with the new game, and after using the dash attack for approaches and follow ups in brawl, I was wondering what Link's best approaches are. I'm trying to get out of that habit of the dash attack because it's so punishable.
The important thing is not so much which attack, but to cover your approach with a projectile or a disjoint like Zair. Link is not a rush character, so don't rush. Look for an opening or create one with your projectiles and approach only to punish. For example, there a rang and bomb to force the opponent to shield, then approach for a grab as they're shielding. Try to time so that if they let go of their shield they'll get hit by a projectile.

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
The important thing is not so much which attack, but to cover your approach with a projectile or a disjoint like Zair. Link is not a rush character, so don't rush. Look for an opening or create one with your projectiles and approach only to punish. For example, there a rang and bomb to force the opponent to shield, then approach for a grab as they're shielding. Try to time so that if they let go of their shield they'll get hit by a projectile.
You got ssb4 for WiiU?

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
So supposedly, we can Ftilt while holding a bomb in hand: http://smashboards.com/threads/ftilt-with-item-in-hand.381113/
It's confirmed to work for Link. We gotta figure out how useful this is and how to implement it. From what I understand, we now have 5 options available when holding a bomb (Arrow, Boomerang, Spin Attack,Zair, Ftilt).
For example, ftilt>bombthrow>[insert move here]?

Edit: someone confirm whether or not Link's sliding Dsmash is good - http://smashboards.com/threads/sliding-d-smash-and-other-trickery.381050/
Gay has a pretty darn good slide...

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
So supposedly, we can Ftilt while holding a bomb in hand: http://smashboards.com/threads/ftilt-with-item-in-hand.381113/
It's confirmed to work for Link. We gotta figure out how useful this is and how to implement it. From what I understand, we now have 5 options available when holding a bomb (Arrow, Boomerang, Spin Attack,Zair, Ftilt).
For example, ftilt>bombthrow>[insert move here]?

Edit: someone confirm whether or not Link's sliding Dsmash is good - http://smashboards.com/threads/sliding-d-smash-and-other-trickery.381050/
Gay has a pretty darn good slide...
You didn't now that you could ftilt with a bomb? Do you know about bombsmashing? Looks like you need to do your homework.

Top Bottom