• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's E for All Expo Report

Florida

イーグランツ
Hmmm... so basically Link has just gotten better? you think he will change in the tier list at all?

And I made this when I was bored...
It's hard to predict the tier list, even with the demo we got. Especially from someone who's only played the demo for a day's worth of time. :urg:

Anyway, that's bloody awesome!
I've got to use that for something! >.>

I can play a viscious Link in Melee, so my Brawl Link should pwn.
;)

EDIT:

I made it transparent o.O

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
I think Link feels a lot faster right EG ? From what i saw he looks fast and stronger then melee

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
I really want to read some more about the link.
Can someone anilize some link video and write a guide so that
I can at least read something more. lol

Silent_Hill_Crossing

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it is impossibe to tell from just the videos/demo alone.

think Link feels a lot faster right EG ? From what i saw he looks fast and stronger then melee
I've been hearing mixed responses, some say he feels faster, some slower. I really can't tell at all. XP

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
in ur Wii, savin' hyrule from t3h twilight... By t
To quote Dyce...
SUBSCRIBED!

I am never leaving this thread! Well, unsubscribing, anyway. After this, I'm gonna check out Meta Knight, Pit, Ike, and Sonic. They're the five characters I like the most. (And notice that all of them but Sonic are swordsmen...the swordsmen pwn...)

Okay. From what I've seen in videos and read here, I have two words.

LINK PWNS!

That said...moving on...replying to everything in the first post, in order...

Costumes
Seven costumes?!? Ridiculous! And AWESOME! Lemme see...

Green--Just like TP. I loved his TP look. I love this costume.
Red--Not Magic Armor?!? Sad cries! Still...gonna be cool.
Blue--Not Zora Armor?!? Sad cries! Still...gonna be cool.
White--I never liked Link's white costumes...
Purple--Finally! Now I can finally have those imitations of the "Shadow Battle" mode in FSA that I do without making one of them black. I mean...I would never do something like that, and I'm not that much of a nerd! :chuckle: Who am I kidding? I'm totally that much of a nerd. I like that the purple costume made it in. Iz c00l.
Yellow--So, I was screwing around with the Debug Menu in Melee (I'm a huge AR fan, and I love the Debug Menu...) and one of my friends requested to be Link in an orange costume. I laughed in his face. Well...this is as close as he's ever gonna get, I think. I saw one of the pics. It looks really cool. I'll be using it as my #2, second only to his...
DARK LINK COSTUME! Woooooooooo! Kick@$$! Black clothes, pale face, and dark red eyes? Works for me! I can just see "Link's Adventure" returning as an Event Match. And I'll definitely be watching that as one of the battles--normal Link and Dark Link, both set on level nine and on Battlefield. Probably the first one I will watch. But the battle I can't wait to see is Mario versus Sonic.

Moving right along...

FS
Sweet! Didja ever use it in a four-player match? Does it just go to the nearest person? Looks like one of the best, even with the one person limitation. Oh, by the way, I have a longstanding question about FSes. Can one character use more than one FS per match?

Moveset
Looks like he improved pretty much completely for the better, eh? Good. All he really needed were a few minor changes...speed needed to go up, projectiles needed to be slightly better, blah blah blah. Looks like he got 'em. OH! Does the shield still block projectiles if you stand still?

I am so maining Link...and I just cannot wait for this game...

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
How much do you want to bet that Link's dark costume will be one of his trophies?

EDIT:
And I don't care what anyone says about Link kickin'*** in Brawl. Link has been kickin'*** in Melee for years.
Sorry, I don't bet.

And yes. What you have just said is so true. So is what you said in my sig..."Sonic 4 Brawl--Link 4 EVAH!"

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
yea...like in Melee...there was one for the history, a Red Smash one and a Blue Smash(IIRC)...history and Red are green...Dark Link is the other one...

I swear if they use any other one...Ill be pissed...

Florida

イーグランツ
Thanks for the info egruntz. I hope Link is atleast good enough to make mid-high tier.
Sure thing! :)

I think Link feels a lot faster right EG ? From what i saw he looks fast and stronger then melee
I feels faster, yes, but not "C Falcon" fast. He's just smoother, and his attacks are more swift.

I really want to read some more about the link.
Can someone anilize some link video and write a guide so that
I can at least read something more. lol
Did I not give enough info?

To quote Dyce...
SUBSCRIBED!

I am never leaving this thread! Well, unsubscribing, anyway. After this, I'm gonna check out Meta Knight, Pit, Ike, and Sonic. They're the five characters I like the most. (And notice that all of them but Sonic are swordsmen...the swordsmen pwn...)

Okay. From what I've seen in videos and read here, I have two words.

LINK PWNS!

That said...moving on...replying to everything in the first post, in order...

Costumes
Seven costumes?!? Ridiculous! And AWESOME! Lemme see...

Green--Just like TP. I loved his TP look. I love this costume.
Red--Not Magic Armor?!? Sad cries! Still...gonna be cool.
Blue--Not Zora Armor?!? Sad cries! Still...gonna be cool.
White--I never liked Link's white costumes...
Purple--Finally! Now I can finally have those imitations of the "Shadow Battle" mode in FSA that I do without making one of them black. I mean...I would never do something like that, and I'm not that much of a nerd! :chuckle: Who am I kidding? I'm totally that much of a nerd. I like that the purple costume made it in. Iz c00l.
Yellow--So, I was screwing around with the Debug Menu in Melee (I'm a huge AR fan, and I love the Debug Menu...) and one of my friends requested to be Link in an orange costume. I laughed in his face. Well...this is as close as he's ever gonna get, I think. I saw one of the pics. It looks really cool. I'll be using it as my #2, second only to his...
DARK LINK COSTUME! Woooooooooo! Kick@$$! Black clothes, pale face, and dark red eyes? Works for me! I can just see "Link's Adventure" returning as an Event Match. And I'll definitely be watching that as one of the battles--normal Link and Dark Link, both set on level nine and on Battlefield. Probably the first one I will watch. But the battle I can't wait to see is Mario versus Sonic.

Moving right along...

FS
Sweet! Didja ever use it in a four-player match? Does it just go to the nearest person? Looks like one of the best, even with the one person limitation. Oh, by the way, I have a longstanding question about FSes. Can one character use more than one FS per match?

Moveset
Looks like he improved pretty much completely for the better, eh? Good. All he really needed were a few minor changes...speed needed to go up, projectiles needed to be slightly better, blah blah blah. Looks like he got 'em. OH! Does the shield still block projectiles if you stand still?

I am so maining Link...and I just cannot wait for this game...
Also (I don't know if I'm already mentioned, but:) Link's shields change design as you switch through his different colors. ^.^

Free for all 4-way match was what I played most of the time, and I did get to use Link's final smash a lot! Like any other Final Smash that focuses on one opponent, Link attacks the nearest enemy. And yes, you can use the final smash more than twice in the same match!

And, about Link's shield blocking projectiles: yup! :)

How much do you want to bet that Link's dark costume will be one of his trophies?

EDIT:
And I don't care what anyone says about Link kickin'*** in Brawl. Link has been kickin'*** in Melee for years.
Probably! ;)

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
Sure thing! :)

I feels faster, yes, but not "C Falcon" fast. He's just smoother, and his attacks are more swift.

Did I not give enough info?

Also (I don't know if I'm already mentioned, but:) Link's shields change design as you switch through his different colors. ^.^

Free for all 4-way match was what I played most of the time, and I did get to use Link's final smash a lot! Like any other Final Smash that focuses on one opponent, Link attacks the nearest enemy. And yes, you can use the final smash more than twice in the same match!

And, about Link's shield blocking projectiles: yup! :)

Probably! ;)
Awesome about the shields. So...what did the designs look like? Wait, did you mean the Hylian Shield or the standard shield?

Florida

イーグランツ
Awesome about the shields. So...what did the designs look like? Wait, did you mean the Hylian Shield or the standard shield?
The "Hylian Shield" :)

EDIT TO BELOW:
I can't really describe the changes, I don't remember.
But they do change in design and color ^.^!

Maben

Smash Journeyman
Does the shield "auto-block" projectiles like before when you are standing still? Can Link's forward smash be chained into a double attack again? Sorry if this was answered in the thread but I didn't see it in the first post (which I see is updated) and it's hard for me to read through this entire thing.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
So...can you describe the shield changes?
Im guessing its a slight change in tint like in Melee...Goron Tunic Link had a slightly purple shield than the others and IIRC Black Tunic Link had a slightly darker shield...

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
Does the shield "auto-block" projectiles like before when you are standing still? Can Link's forward smash be chained into a double attack again? Sorry if this was answered in the thread but I didn't see it in the first post (which I see is updated) and it's hard for me to read through this entire thing.
Yes to both.

Im guessing its a slight change in tint like in Melee...Goron Tunic Link had a slightly purple shield than the others and IIRC Black Tunic Link had a slightly darker shield...
Well, he said the "design" changed...not color...

Maben

Smash Journeyman
Since I got such a timely reply I had another question :).

Does Link's Up+B in the air have the same "final" hit that knocks the opponent away? I saw that it can't spike down horizontally anymore but does it still have this functionality to it?

Edit: Oh and is the downtime from missing a grab less/about the same/more than melee?

twilight_hero

Smash Lord

Does Link's Up+B in the air have the same "final" hit that knocks the opponent away? I saw that it can't spike down horizontally anymore but does it still have this functionality to it?
That...I can't answer. The other two I knew from the TC, egruntz, but I dunno that one.

Dunno the anser to your second question either.

Lin_

Smash Apprentice
Yeah...that's true...and I am the one who's...erm...wearing his costume and acting like him...I'm sorry, but Link is a god. And I worship him.

Did I really just say that?
That's ok, I do that too :laugh:

Me and my friends regularly have discussions about whether Marth or Link is a woman (LINK IS NOT A WOMAN, ****IT).
Me: Marth has a girly voice!
Friend: Link wears tights!
Me: The tights are sexy!
Friend: ...
Me: I - I didn't mean that.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
That's ok, I do that too :laugh:

Me and my friends regularly have discussions about whether Marth or Link is a woman (LINK IS NOT A WOMAN, ****IT).
Me: Marth has a girly voice!
Friend: Link wears tights!
Me: The tights are sexy!
Friend: ...
Me: I - I didn't mean that.
you could always add that Marth wears a tiara. if you go to fanfiction.net, alot of marth bashing stroies involve people making fun of his tiara and the fact that he constantly runs out of lotion and perfume. If you dislike marth, then they are always funny to read.

Link bashing stories (usually found in Soul Calibur fics) involve Link only speaking in yells. they aren't as funny, but still funny

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
Someone needs to capture one of the people who went to the E for all event and interigate them about what theyve learned. We're not getting as much information as i would like.

Is Links bow aimable?

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Hey seeing as you can't remember the designs of the shield let me try and jog your memory...

Did one of them have a screaming face on it?
Did one of them have red outlines and the rest of it being silver?
Was one of them made out of wood?

Any of those?

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
I think in Links Gold tunic his shield is the mirror shield

and i think Link is a mid tier from what i heard

Florida

イーグランツ
Yes to the first question.
"Perhaps" to the second. As hard as it was for Link to chaingrab in Melee, now we have to deal with extra-floaty characters. It's pretty safe to say that you won't get a chaingrab out of an up throw, however a down throw might still be workable.

Edit: Oh and is the downtime from missing a grab less/about the same/more than melee?
Yes to the first. It's more powerful than before as well ^-^
And the afterlag of his grab is the same.

1) Awesome
2) Just as awesome.

{picks up megaphone}
LINK'S BACK EVERYONE! HE'S JUST LIKE HE WAS BUT BETTER THAN EVER!
^.^

So is Link's bow aimable? Sorry if this been ask before, but i'm in a bit of a hurry. Thanks!
Nope. But it fully charges in one second.

you could always add that Marth wears a tiara. if you go to fanfiction.net, alot of marth bashing stroies involve people making fun of his tiara and the fact that he constantly runs out of lotion and perfume. If you dislike marth, then they are always funny to read.

Link bashing stories (usually found in Soul Calibur fics) involve Link only speaking in yells. they aren't as funny, but still funny
Actually, people making fun of Link's screaming in Soul Caliber is a lot funnier. Marth's voice doesn't sound girly at all to me.

Someone needs to capture one of the people who went to the E for all event and interigate them about what theyve learned. We're not getting as much information as i would like.

Is Links bow aimable?
Am I not giving enough information? =)

I don't think Marth's voice is girly.

It's not as badass as Link's or Snake's, but it's far from girly.
I personally think Link's voice is the most girlish. But that makes half of the badass to him.

Hey seeing as you can't remember the designs of the shield let me try and jog your memory...

Did one of them have a screaming face on it?
Did one of them have red outlines and the rest of it being silver?
Was one of them made out of wood?

Any of those?
1. No
2. ... Yes / Unsure
3. No

^^^^
Mirror Shield (Majora's Mask)
Mirror Shield (Ocarina of Time)
Kokiri Shield (Ocarina of Time)
Don't know what any of those are ^.^
Not a LoZ player, yet still a Link fanatic.

I think in Links Gold tunic his shield is the mirror shield

and i think Link is a mid tier from what i heard
=)
Don't predict tiers at such an early point. We don't have enough info on the characters, let alone half OF the characters.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mirror shield would be too awesome.

On to egruntz' descriptions:

egruntz said:
0. Green Old-fashioned Link. My favorite.
1. Red Also one of the better colors imo. I like it.
2. Blue Great too xD
3. White Meh. White just doesn't suit Link. It looks like someone bleached his entire clothing.
4. Purple Purple? O_o Yusss.
5. Yellow Add some black and we got Bumblebee Link xD Freaking awesome.
egruntz said:
6. Shadow Link/Black: This one is going to be overused...so much. And what does overuse of something saddenly do? =( That's right, it makes something less original, making it less cool (IMO). Still, I love Nintendo for putting this in, they definitely did a good job on that.
egruntz said:
Up B: Spin Slash
As most of you know, this move can be chargeable. To my surprise, charging the Spin Slash hardly helped at all. At most, all that charging did was increase damage by 5-10%. Yeah, not much, right? Also, you can no longer spike an opponent diagonally downward with this move. Disappointing, eh?

Have you by chance been able to test how low this move's hitbox reaches at the edge? I know it probably won't be able to hit sweetspotters, but my point is asking whether the charge could be used for edgeguarding or not? Also, I don't really mind about the thing not spiking anymore, I never got to spike anyone with it anyway (PAL).

egruntz said:
Forward Smash: Returning Melee form!
Can you still have a certain break between the two smashers? ^^

egruntz said:
Down Tilt: Returning Melee form!
I was glad to know this specific spike made a return!
IT SPIKED IN MELEE? O_o

Oh, and Link's Melee voice was not girlish. And Young Link has the excuse of being underage xD

Anyway, it's good to know Link has seemingly improved. Another character I want to spend time on.

Florida

イーグランツ
Coen]Mirror shield would be too awesome. On to egruntz' descriptions: [COLOR="Yellow said:
Have you by chance been able to test how low this move's hitbox reaches at the edge? I know it probably won't be able to hit sweetspotters, but my point is asking whether the charge could be used for edgeguarding or not? Also, I don't really mind about the thing not spiking anymore, I never got to spike anyone with it anyway (PAL). [/COLOR]
Nope, haven't, sorry :(

Can you still have a certain break between the two smashers? ^^
Yup! Mindgames FTW.

IT SPIKED IN MELEE? O_o
Mmhmm! Hard to explain, something it will sometimes it won't. You have to hit the opponent in a certain area. Young Link seems to spike with it more frequently though.

Oh, and Link's Melee voice was not girlish. And Young Link has the excuse of being underage xD

Just Link's screams are annoying :(
Link's voice sounds awesome in Brawl though, especially when he performs the spin slash!

so all of his tunics on twilight going to be detailed on ssbb
Yup, pretty much.

Has Link's speed improved? That's what I hated about him in melee, his attack were too slow.
Yes.

NEON666

Smash Journeyman
Has Link's speed improved? That's what I hated about him in melee, his attack were too slow.

well from what i heard he was going to be a little faster and his projectiles have improven allot ive even see him do some hidden skills moves from twilight

Florida

イーグランツ
Are you sure it's a spike, egruntz? I thought it was a meteor.
Actually, I don't know now.
I've never come across anyone who's meteor canceled Link's dtilt...
Though, I don't know all too much about Melee's properties and such, so you'll have to ask someone else.

But you get what I'm trying to say ^.^
Link's dtilt = sends people down.

(now I realize Coen was asking a different question than I thought he was >.>)

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, what other moves besides Fox's shine spike?
Now you got me interested! ;)

EDIT x2: And I'd like to know what Link's dtilt is now, lol; I wouldn't want to lead people to confusion.

EDIT x3: Just found the answer to the above edit / question. However, Link's dtilt isn't listed as either a spike OR a meteor. Hmmm... interesting. It shall be called, the Linkeorike!

• SUB EDIT: Nevermind, found it under the "meteors"! ;)
EDIT x4: To below: Don'tcha wish your titles were. cool. like mine? ^.^
(I was trying to make the "doncha wish girlfriend" rhythm going there... hehe)

EDIT x5: Probably the most edits I've put into a single post! It's a neeeew record!

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
Holy crap! egruntz is banned! This is not good!

Anyway...I, personally, will use the costumes in this order...
Black (duh)
Yellow
Green
Red
Blue
Purple
White

@Coen: Yes, it spiked in Melee. I don't remember which part of the sword you have to hit with...I think it's the pointed half, not the hilted half. And yeah, YL spiked more with it, possibly because his sword is shorter, so it was easier to hit with the tipped end...

@Dyce: My inner n00b is coming out...I thought Meteor Smashes and spikes were the same thing...?

@NEON666: HIDDEN SKILLS? WHICH ONES? I MUST KNOW!

*calms down* Well, we know that the dair has changed to become the Ending Blow...and uB is the Great Spin...that leaves...Shield Attack, Back Strike, Helm Splitter, Mortal Draw, and Jump Strike. So, he use any of those?

Well...Shield Attack makes no sense...unless it's, like, his powershield or something.
Back Strike would be interesting...a dash attack, maybe? He rolls forward, and if he passes through someone, he spins around and hits them?
I don't see how they could work the Helm Spliiter in there...unless it was somehow an aerial...
The Mortal Draw would be an awesome >Smash...as would the Jump Strike...I can totally see him sheathing his sword as he glowed for a >Smash...

And that's my take on Hidden Skills as parts of Link's MS.

@egrunts: I thought you were banned?!? How can you post?

Top Bottom