• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link problem

Nintendinator

Smash Cadet
In Brawl Link can hardly jump but he is now more powerful. But in Melee why was it that Link could jump High and be powerful. So when I try to the top New Pork City with Link he cant make it. So my real question is that why does Link jump so short?

lorddave551

Smash Apprentice
umm no real reason that is fixable, its the way that his character was designed and quite unfortunately is one of his major shortcomings. Link's recovery and jumping just suck in this game.

TwinTurbo

Smash Cadet
yeah, it sux...i used to main toon link and moved to link (most people call me stupid, but i love link)
i got used to toon links kickass recovery and i often come up short with link...theres not much you can do about it, but at least his clawshot is pretty long.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
Link's up-B recovery is slightly worse than in Melee, but not by much. The real gimping that came to Link's recovery came to his hookshot recovery. Because it is now a "tether" recovery, shortened severely, it is a pretty terrible recovery option. In Melee, it could hit the side of a stage, and give Link another boost. Furthermore, the hookshot could be used out of an airdodge, giving him further distance. Airdodges don't give any distance anymore. The clawshot and categorization as a tether pretty much F'ed Link in the recovery department. It's main use is the "DI-zair recovery", and mindgaming with the clawshot. The clawshot is also shorter than hookshot for ground-grabs too.

WHO THOUGHT LINK'S RECOVERY WAS TOO GOOD ALREADY? CURSE YOU SAKURAI.

12ain

Smash Rookie
Well it only means for Link players to figure out more or better ways to defeat the enemy...
For sure. Link lacks the jump (recovery) and running speed, the two that would make him a high tier. Being a heavy weight, it makes sense he doesn't jump high or run quick due to his arsenal of gears yet his attacks come out insanely quick. Out of the heavy weights, I think he is considered to be the fastest in terms of attack. What I really like about Link is that most of his moves consists of multiple hits like his forward smash, up smash, back smash, back aerial, front aerial and there are little to no delays after his attacks. His moves are really good for tricking people. And of course being a heavy weight, Link is not easy to knockout, therefore if there was anything to change about Link, in my opinion it would be nothing because he is good the way he is. If he had a better recovery that would be too cheap. If you pick a character and decide to main him/her you'll have to manage and being a Link mainer I've learnt to exploit his weaknesses, and cover them up with his strengths. Link has more pros than cons actually if you look up his profile on smashwiki but can't let any of those pro and con stuff get to our heads it's really how you manage and adapt with Link. If you get beaten, find a way around, you just require more skill, nothing is impossible.

Lootic

Smash Apprentice
The awesome wavebounce(stupid name btw) maybee can help your recovery guys. I read about it in Brawl Tactical discussion and if dont remember wrong link has a pretty good wavebounce.

I just have to add that I aint got brawl yet, so its just speculation.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Every match in brawl, feels like a match versus Peach in Melee. You know when Peach would knock you off the stage with her down smash, and you were in the wrong direction to grapple the side of the stage? Yea, that was a pain in the ***. I miss Melee though, I'd leave for such a long time. Like, most characters can punish you with an unstale smash move, and it has the potential to be lights out for Link. You really can't afford to make a mistake, once you have high health percentages, and Link still seems pretty easy to combo. Even if combos are weaker in brawl, Link is easy to connect against. Like the chain grabs, or wolf fmashes, etc. Like, if you aren't constantly worried about those things, and constantly trying to DI, it gets really annoying.
Puling a bomb out and holding on to it is still useful for recovery at least. Have you tried that for the New Pork City problem?

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Link's up-B recovery is slightly worse than in Melee, but not by much. The real gimping that came to Link's recovery came to his hookshot recovery. Because it is now a "tether" recovery, shortened severely, it is a pretty terrible recovery option. In Melee, it could hit the side of a stage, and give Link another boost. Furthermore, the hookshot could be used out of an airdodge, giving him further distance. Airdodges don't give any distance anymore. The clawshot and categorization as a tether pretty much F'ed Link in the recovery department. It's main use is the "DI-zair recovery", and mindgaming with the clawshot. The clawshot is also shorter than hookshot for ground-grabs too.

WHO THOUGHT LINK'S RECOVERY WAS TOO GOOD ALREADY? CURSE YOU SAKURAI.
I actually like the tether recovery of the clawshot. I use it i think a little more often than most Link players for a recovery. It's quicker and you don't have to aim as much. Sure the hookshot in melee is longer and you can airdodge into it, but at least it allows you to recovery with the spin attack after missing a ledge, plus you can use it more than once in the air.

Top Bottom