• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

FSK

Smash Ace
I understand and all, I just kinda miss watching people instinctively air dodge into the ground and me getting a free Fsmash on them. Made them feel stupid and killed relatively early. Probably the most guilty pleasure I've have playing Link. lol
Still works with the new throw, I do that often.

Serac

Smash Cadet
I understand and all, I just kinda miss watching people instinctively air dodge into the ground and me getting a free Fsmash on them. Made them feel stupid and killed relatively early. Probably the most guilty pleasure I've have playing Link. lol
You can still do something similar, keep doing dthrow to usmash at low % to accumulate damage, at high % jump towards them to force airdodge, fastfall into usmash or fsmash.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Hmm...I come back to see that Lawz had been made a moderator. I have two things to say on the subject.

1) I freakin' called it
2) Remind me again why the Sheik main was made mod of the Link boards?

Last edited:

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
So I was reading an old interview with Sakurai [here] and I found something interesting.
Sakurai said:
But that's not to say that I don't appreciate very high-level competitive play, the type of very refined competitive gameplay that happens in other fighting games. Personally, I have a lot of experience playing in the arcade scene, and personally came out as a champion of a 100-person battle in arcade Street Fighter II.
[Q: Recently?]
A long, long time ago. So I don't wanna ignore that there's that type of pleasure to be had from the game.
This could explain why he let Ryu enter Smash. And it could also explain why Melee was so competitively balanced.

It's also interesting that in the Ryu patch, many characters got buffs to their combo game. He might be starting to focus more on the competitive scene because it's growing so quickly - CEO having to put a cap on admission for Smash 4 is evidence of the game's competitive popularity. I could be wrong, but it would be nice if I wasn't.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
So I was reading an old interview with Sakurai [here] and I found something interesting.

This could explain why he let Ryu enter Smash. And it could also explain why Melee was so competitively balanced.

It's also interesting that in the Ryu patch, many characters got buffs to their combo game. He might be starting to focus more on the competitive scene because it's growing so quickly - CEO having to put a cap on admission for Smash 4 is evidence of the game's competitive popularity. I could be wrong, but it would be nice if I wasn't.
Well seeing how Sakurai said "If you want a competitive 2D fighting game, you won't find any of those characters here".

-Adds Ryu

That should tell you something, no?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Two hundred fifty pages of activity, not bad.
The summer heat is killing me; I'll be happy when July is over.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515

Two things. One, recently Sakurai did say not only that he finds competitive play in smash a waste, but that if that's what you enjoy you should go play a real 2D fighting game rather than smash. Two, melee is far from balanced. It's almost tied for the most imbalanced game actually. The redeeming quality melee has is tech skill requirement and ceiling are quite high, not it's balance.

@ Dumbfire Dumbfire I am disappointed in seeing that your pc is in Dutch and not in English.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Btw guys, I'm going to Norway next month to join in the Norwegian national, and Cat probably will too, so if the three other Norwegian Links show up with Afro we may have 6 Links competing in the tournament :love:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Top 8 in Melee is almost as crooked as Brawl top 8.
Elessar put it excellently, it's not balanced really at all, but the skill gate that separates the the top players in Melee is much more efficient than Brawl. If you aren't actually good with movement, technique, DI, and strategy in Melee, Fox will not win you any matches. Fox gets chain grabbed and combo'd to hell and back, but they upper range of his abilities make up for that in dividends if the player is good enough. Link of characters can pull of some amazing maneuvers given the right player, even in some of his worst matchups.

Smash 4 is better balanced than Melee (customs non-withstanding), but the overall requirement of skill needed to play at a competitive level is considerably lower. My biggest problem with Smash4 right now is that there is very little CQ pressure game, and shields are too good. Because of this characters like :4link::4charizard::4ganondorf::4zelda::4dedede::4miisword: have very little they can legitimately do against an opponent who walks up and guards, then jumps OoS when you attempt to grab.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Top 8 in Melee is almost as crooked as Brawl top 8.
Elessar put it excellently, it's not balanced really at all, but the skill gate that separates the the top players in Melee is much more efficient than Brawl. If you aren't actually good with movement, technique, DI, and strategy in Melee, Fox will not win you any matches. Fox gets chain grabbed and combo'd to hell and back, but they upper range of his abilities make up for that in dividends if the player is good enough. Link of characters can pull of some amazing maneuvers given the right player, even in some of his worst matchups.

Smash 4 is better balanced than Melee (customs non-withstanding), but the overall requirement of skill needed to play at a competitive level is considerably lower. My biggest problem with Smash4 right now is that there is very little CQ pressure game, and shields are too good. Because of this characters like :4link::4charizard::4ganondorf::4zelda::4dedede::4miisword: have very little they can legitimately do against an opponent who walks up and guards, then jumps OoS when you attempt to grab.
To be fair, those characters can't even use tomahawk as a legitimate means of pressure. So of course they have a hard time dealing with shield. Although Ganon has side b and autocancel bair to pressure shielders, the others are just bad characters.

There are plenty of characters in this game who are able to pressure shields and then crossup to avoid shield grabs. Or just safely pressure in general.

I don't think the problem lies with shielding being too good, it's more like...those characters just lack the tools to deal with it. Most characters in the game have safe ways to pressure shields.

EDIT: However, having a lack of shield stun does certainly make shielding really really good in this game so I do agree with you to an extent Zane.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
It's the weirdest thing having the entire Triforce under your belt. Ganon, Sheik, and Link are in harmony with me. I feel like I can dominate the competition. One day, once I'm able to go part just beating everyone on FG and destroying my friends offline with these characters, I will finally be able to prove myself. *goes back to Ganon Choke trolling*

Top Bottom