• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I wouldn't say it's "good", it's just not terrible. But then again anything you compare to Robin will seem amazing...
Yeah. I do really hope Sakurai buffs Robin's grab in the next character patch.

uh oh...

*get's salt blade and does not care shield*

Why do you need popcorn? The war is over.
Well this is a more 'just in case'......

Also, what's a salt sword?

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
So I....watched Evangellion..... and... a......it's good?
Like all the way through, or just a few episodes? And original or Rebuild?
Might I ask for a more depthy description of your opinion?

"La Vie est drôle", as things change we begin to notice all the things that stay the same. So what then, do you resign yourself to stagnation or do you move on and change whether with or against the tides of time?

For me, there is one hero above the rest that will never flee despite any trial nor personal cost.
His name, for better or for worse is Link, and His courage knows no bounds. Link takes a lot of patience to get good with and requires even more strategy, coordination, spacing, knowledge of the opponent's strengths and weaknesses, and true grit than pretty much any other character in SSB history. He is a Master's character, one who must be able to handle and re-adapt as many situations as necessary.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Actually I only made the AT thread because Elessar made me. I started writing it while he was still a mod and finished it two days later when he had been un-modded. So you can thank him for the recent influx of productivity.
Thanks Fox. I told you, people don't see the work that you put in as a mod to improve a board. They think that threads just spontaneously appear. Stickies are a natural formation. Organized threads and easy to use guides are an act of God.

Mods are just the killjoys.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
That Mewtwo is another character with a good grab and throw option and yet my Robin still has a crap grab and really only one throw option. It is really unfair.
For me, there is one hero above the rest that will never flee despite any trial nor personal cost.
His name, for better or for worse is Link, and His courage knows no bounds. Link takes a lot of patience to get good with and requires even more strategy, coordination, spacing, knowledge of the opponent's strengths and weaknesses, and true grit than pretty much any other character in SSB history. He is a Master's character, one who must be able to handle and re-adapt as many situations as necessary.
Preach

Last edited:

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
One 15 hour shift is all that stands between me and a 10 day vacation in Florida. Goin' to Orlando! Gonna ride The Hulk roller coaster at Universal over and over until I puke my guts out :awesome:
You bringing me?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I found an interesting glitch with Links Up B.

So run to the ledge and press the Up B and when you do that Links Up B will finish early and he will get a little bit more height.
You guys should try it.

This is wrong: If you press Up B on the ledge and you start falling. This is Wrong

This Is Correct: When you press Up B and he actually jumps he will end with a weird laggy recovery. His Up B and it ends early and he gets a little more height. This is correct.

Last edited:

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
I haven't watched Rebuild, but I really enjoyed the original Eva, even if Shinji is one of the whiniest characters ever created.

Also, considering Squidboards is based primarily on Smashboards, they could really do with altering the colour scheme because **** me sideways, that website is bright. But I really want Splatoon.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
So I found an interesting glitch with Links Up B.

So run to the ledge and press the Up B and when you do that Links Up B will finish early and he will get a little bit more height.
You guys should try it.

This is wrong: If you press Up B on the ledge and you start falling. This is Wrong

This Is Correct: When you press Up B and he actually jumps he will end with a weird laggy recovery. His Up B and it ends early and he gets a little more height. This is correct.
It's in the AT thread called 'spin attack 2.0' and no, you don't gain any extra height, you just end the move early before you reach the full height.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
I haven't watched Rebuild, but I really enjoyed the original Eva, even if Shinji is one of the whiniest characters ever created.
Yeah, despite a bit of whining here and there (on a pretty understandable reasoning) he mans up quite a bit more in Rebuild. To keep it spoiler free, The part in the original where you think Shinji has absolutely lost his will to fight back gets turned on it's head in rebuild 2.0.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Wow, it almost seems like we know a thing or two about our character and have things where people can easily find them.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
My controller/laptop decals came in the mail! Check them out. sorry for the poor lighting

Edit:
Also I saw Avengers last night with a ton of my smash friends. Excellent writing.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Also going to see the Avengers Age of Ultron! So hyped.
Before people go on describing all their experiences with the newest comic book movies here, let me just profess publicly and unequivocally that I abhor, abjure and despise everything about superhero movies, with their men in tights and shameless fantasizing and dreadful 'commentary'. They clutter the cultural space and especially cinemas with nonsense. I don't want to see spaceships, wizards and dragons, but the life of man as it is actually lived: what men do, think, suffer and enjoy. But who cares about your mediocrity, when through films and comic books you can enjoy a fantasy existence in which you triumph over the people who defeat you in real life?

Comic books should have remained nerdy stuff read by people in the backs of classrooms to be made fun. And now that we're on the subject, Edmund Wilson was right when he called Tolkien "puerile nonsense". Get over your childhood whimsies and stop looking at men in silly costumes. (You're fine Smokebomb: for you this will be your childhood.)

Here's to you, @Catana :

I see the Link mains, but I swear
One is not alike this day;
One Link has breathed forbidden air:
He’s nearly gone with gay.
Cat, kittie, pussie, -- nay! foul dog
He is not the same in look;
His image is all in the fog
His mem’ry in some nook.
Link, epona and her proud song
Are now but trash to him;
His spirit is no longer young
His future dull and grim.
His wonder’s gone, and his sick suit
Burns dead, without a flame;
He is now some filthy brute,
Not worthy of our name.

When he was but a little kittie,
And only one feet high,
We watched his matches full of pity
And felt a tear come nigh.
His Link so good, his luck so bad
He often won, but always mad –
Yet he always made me glad.

But no one laughs when this large Cat
Grown too fast, too soon,
Has ditched Link like some ugly brat.
And plays another tune.
Now his muse is Meta Knight
And the Links are ever mute.
His winnings, we’ll dispute—
Yet his failure’s set in stone.
Stay mute – it’s little use to moan.

Last edited:

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
There's a certain amount of irony in blasting superhero movies and Tolkien for puerile nonsense and childhood whimsy in a post made on a forum dedicated to a fighting game designed around popular video game characters.

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Before people go on describing all their experiences with the newest comic book movies here, let me just profess publicly and unequivocally that I abhor, abjure and despise everything about superhero movies, with their men in tights and shameless fantasizing and dreadful 'commentary'. They clutter the cultural space and especially cinemas with nonsense. I don't want to see spaceships, wizards and dragons, but the life of man as it is actually lived: what men do, think, suffer and enjoy. But who cares about your mediocrity, when through films and comic books you can enjoy a fantasy existence in which you triumph over the people who defeat you in real life?

Comic books should have remained nerdy stuff read by people in the backs of classrooms to be made fun. And now that we're on the subject, Edmund Wilson was right when he called Tolkien "puerile nonsense". Get over your childhood whimsies and stop looking at men in silly costumes.

Here's to you, @Catana :

Cat, kittie, ****ie, -- nay! foul dog
His mem’ry in some nook.
Not worthy of our name.

And only one feet high,

And plays another tune.
I agree! sort of. I am tired of people calling themselves nerds cause they watch super hero movies and play games on there phone like aa! they don't know **** about nerd life and how it makes us special! NERDS 4 DA WIN.

Movie starts at 8:00. HYPE!

Rizen

Smash Legend

Comic books should have remained nerdy stuff read by people in the backs of classrooms to be made fun. And now that we're on the subject, Edmund Wilson was right when he called Tolkien "puerile nonsense". Get over your childhood whimsies and stop looking at men in silly costumes. (You're fine Smokebomb: for you this will be your childhood.)

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Yo I am reking fools on the 3DS battle boards! But dark times are upon me as I see a vision of me droping Link for Megaman or donkey long. I will try to make sure dis never happens!

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
There's a certain amount of irony in blasting superhero movies and Tolkien for puerile nonsense and childhood whimsy
I wasn't blasting them for childhood whimsy, but saying they are something from childhood whimsy that should be let go of. The distinction is crucial: 'childhood whimsy' is important:

John Clare said:
"Where art thou wandering, little child?"
I said to one I met to-day.—She pushed her bonnet up and smiled,
"I'm going upon the green to play:
Folks tell me that the May's in flower,
That cowslip-peeps are fit to pull,
And I've got leave to spend an hour
To get this little basket full."

—And thou'st got leave to spend an hour!
My heart repeated.—She was gone;
—And thou hast heard the thorn's in flower,
And childhood's bliss is urging on:
Ah, happy child! thou mak'st me sigh,
This once as happy heart of mine,
Would nature with the boon comply,
How gladly would I change for thine.
W.H. Davies said:
"Ah, little boy! I see
You have a wooden spade.
Into this sand you dig
So deep-for what?” I said
“There’s more rich gold,” said he,
“Down under where I stand,
Than twenty elephants
Could move across the land.”

“Ah, little girl with wool!-
What are you making now?”
“Some stockings for a bird,
To keep his legs from snow.”
And there those children are,
So happy, small, and proud:
The boy that digs his grave,
The girl that knits her shroud.
William Wordsworth said:
I
THERE was a time when meadow, grove, and stream,
The earth, and every common sight,
To me did seem
Apparelled in celestial light,
The glory and the freshness of a dream.
It is not now as it hath been of yore;--
Turn wheresoe'er I may,
By night or day,
The things which I have seen I now can see no more.

II

The Rainbow comes and goes,
And lovely is the Rose,
The Moon doth with delight
Look round her when the heavens are bare,
Waters on a starry night
Are beautiful and fair;
The sunshine is a glorious birth;
But yet I know, where'er I go,
That there hath past away a glory from the earth.

III

Now, while the birds thus sing a joyous song,
And while the young lambs bound
As to the tabor's sound,
To me alone there came a thought of grief:
A timely utterance gave that thought relief,
And I again am strong:
The cataracts blow their trumpets from the steep;
No more shall grief of mine the season wrong;
I hear the Echoes through the mountains throng,
The Winds come to me from the fields of sleep,
And all the earth is gay;
Land and sea
Give themselves up to jollity,
And with the heart of May
Doth every Beast keep holiday;--
Thou Child of Joy,
Shout round me, let me hear thy shouts, thou happy
Shepherd-boy!

IV

Ye blessed Creatures, I have heard the call
Ye to each other make; I see
The heavens laugh with you in your jubilee;
My heart is at your festival,
My head hath its coronal,
The fulness of your bliss, I feel--I feel it all.
Oh evil day! if I were sullen
While Earth herself is adorning,
This sweet May-morning,
And the Children are culling
On every side,
In a thousand valleys far and wide,
Fresh flowers; while the sun shines warm,
And the Babe leaps up on his Mother's arm:--
I hear, I hear, with joy I hear!
--But there's a Tree, of many, one,
A single Field which I have looked upon,
Both of them speak of something that is gone:
The Pansy at my feet
Doth the same tale repeat:
Whither is fled the visionary gleam?
Where is it now, the glory and the dream?
William Hazlitt said:
When I was quite a boy my father used to take me to the Montpelier Tea Gardens at Walworth. Do I go there now? No; the place is deserted, and its borders and its beds o'erturned. Is there, then, nothing that can

Bring back the hour
Of glory in the grass, of splendour in the flower?

Oh! yes. I unlock the casket of memory, and draw back the warders of the brain; and there this scene of my infant wanderings still lives unfaded, or with fresher dyes. A new sense comes upon me, as in a dream; a richer perfume, brighter colours start out; my eyes dazzle; my heart heaves with its new load of bliss, and I am a child again. My sensations are all glossy, spruce, voluptuous, and fine: they wear a candied coat, and are in holiday trim. I see the beds of larkspur with purple eyes; tall hollyhocks, red or yellow; the broad sunflowers, caked in gold, with bees buzzing round them; wildernesses of pinks, and hot glowing peonies; poppies run to seed; the sugared lily, and faint mignonette, all ranged in order, and as thick as they can grow; the box-tree borders, the gravel-walks, the painted alcove, the confectionery, the clotted cream:—I think I see them now with sparkling looks; or have they vanished while I have been writing this description of them? No matter; they will return again when I least think of them. All that I have observed since, of flowers and plants, and grass-plots, and of suburb delights, seems to me borrowed from 'that first garden of my innocence'—to be slips and scions stolen from that bed of memory. In this manner the darlings of our childhood burnish out in the eye of after years, and derive their sweetest perfume from the first heartfelt sigh of pleasure breathed upon them,

Like the sweet south,
That breathes upon a bank of violets,

Stealing and giving odour!

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431

Here's to you, @Catana :

Cat, kittie, ****ie, -- nay! foul dog
His mem’ry in some nook.
Not worthy of our name.

And only one feet high,

And plays another tune.
Says the guy that plays the games about a magical elf boy cursed to be eternally reborn and battle the forces of evil.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
I wasn't blasting them for childhood whimsy, but saying they are something from childhood whimsy that should be let go of. The distinction is crucial: 'childhood whimsy' is important:
Childhood whimsy is important, yet you urge people to let go of it? On a forum dedicated to the kind of thing you call puerile nonsense and childhood whimsy. Like I said, ironic, if not hypocritical.

The gods save me from a world where people are judged or insulted for enjoying fantasy, science fiction, escapism or imagination in general. It would be so terribly boring. I'll keep watching my superhero movies, playing my video games, reading Tolkien and other fantasy novels and all the rest.

And really, anyone who thinks Tolkien is puerile nonsense clearly doesn't understand Tolkien.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
I'm not here because I'm a LoZ fan at all. There's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy 'entertainment' either as people like to emphasize, but it is when it takes up so much cultural space. When half the Internet loses it over the trailer for a new Star Wars film we've gone too far. If once a month people went to a cinema just to watch a silly movie nobody would be complaining -- but this whole Marvel universe is becoming too huge.

Childhood whimsy is important, yet you urge people to let go of it? On a forum dedicated to the kind of thing you call puerile nonsense and childhood whimsy. Like I said, ironic, if not hypocritical.

The gods save me from a world where people are judged or insulted for enjoying fantasy, science fiction, escapism or imagination in general. It would be so terribly boring. I'll keep watching my superhero movies, playing my video games, reading Tolkien and other fantasy novels and all the rest.

And really, anyone who thinks Tolkien is puerile nonsense clearly doesn't understand Tolkien.
I'm not telling anyone to let go of it, I said fantastical nonsense was a product of it that should be let go. Boohoo, people "judge" you. They always will, even when they don't out it. I don't care what you do with your free time, enjoy what you want. Just stating my view as you are yours. There's no need to 'understand' Tolkien beyond that he's a third-rate writer who should have been long forgotten.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
*hides his left hand behind his back*

Totally don't have the One Ring as my wedding ring....I swear!!!

Last edited:

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Warning Received
I'm not here because I'm a LoZ fan at all. There's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy 'entertainment' either as people like to emphasize, but it is when it takes up so much cultural space. When half the Internet loses it over the trailer for a new Star Wars film we've gone too far. If once a month people went to a cinema just to watch a silly movie nobody would be complaining -- but this whole Marvel universe is becoming too huge.

I'm not telling anyone to let go of it, I said fantastical nonsense was a product of it that should be let go. Boohoo, people "judge" you. They always will, even when they don't out it. I don't care what you do with your free time, enjoy what you want. Just stating my view as you are yours. There's no need to 'understand' Tolkien beyond that he's a third-rate writer who should have been long forgotten.
So basically, you're butthurt that no one wants to watch the boring crap you enjoy and you're just whining and trying to justify it with cultural elitism. Fair enough. Have fun with that. I'll enjoy my puerile nonsense with everyone else.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
So basically, you're butthurt that no one wants to watch the boring crap you enjoy and you're just whining and trying to justify it with cultural elitism. Fair enough. Have fun with that. I'll enjoy my puerile nonsense with everyone else.
Enough people enjoy it, with me too. I just now said I wasn't butthurt and that I don't care what you do with your free time. Hand-waving it away as "cultural elitism" is rather cheap.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Pulling out of this debate.

Last edited:

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
To quote you:

"They clutter the cultural space and especially cinemas with nonsense. I don't want to see spaceships, wizards and dragons, but the life of man as it is actually lived: what men do, think, suffer and enjoy. But who cares about your mediocrity, when through films and comic books you can enjoy a fantasy existence in which you triumph over the people who defeat you in real life?"

All of that is pure cultural elitism. You trash on things like The Avengers, Star Wars, Tolkien for being mediocre, childish, nonsense. Your chosen cultural products are "better" because they are not mere wish-fulfilment. They show "what men do, think, suffer and enjoy". And you're butthurt that the mediocre, third rate products are cluttering your cultural space and forcing you to take notice of them, whilst your "better" products receive less attention. If you weren't butthurt by it, you wouldn't complain.

Maybe you don't care about me specifically, but you definitely care enough about your society as a whole. Otherwise you wouldn't be telling us how we "should" be living our lives or what cultural products we "should" focus on.
Both u guys take a chillpill. Plz you look childish arguing like this!

Top Bottom