• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I'm expecting Link to be buffed next patch. Even if it doesn't mean We'll be getting jab 1 cancel back, it's better than nothing, which could happen as well.

I suggest that we all experiment with meteor bombs a bit more. It might be Link's only solution to the whole jab cancel issue. The only downside I see to this so far is that you need to spam bombs way more than usual.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
sakurai thought Link was a top tier. He probably thinks it's all fixed now and he can go on to other important stuff like optimizing Smash Tour and nerfing Zelda.

and as for meteor bombs, you might as well go back to jab2 cancels and keep your standard bomb options. unless there's a super reliable kill setup someone finds.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
sakurai thought Link was a top tier. He probably thinks it's all fixed now and he can go on to other important stuff like optimizing Smash Tour and nerfing Zelda.

and as for meteor bombs, you might as well go back to jab2 cancels and keep your standard bomb options. unless there's a super reliable kill setup someone finds.
Meteor bomb > Smashes depending on %. Yeah, even Fsmash works. Not sure exactly how reliable it is, but it works.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
Ah, to be young and naive. So chipper and full of enthusiasm before the cold world crushes their spirit.
Young and naive? Considering that I mained Link before switching over to Marth in Brawl then returning to Link in Project M I already know perfectly well what to expect playing Link all these years.

I mean what I say. Link has always been about finding the balance between his projectiles and sword. What else can Sakurai do? Shave a percent or two off projectiles? Link won't be nerfed again, it would make even less sense than the patch that just happened.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I'm expecting Link to be buffed next patch. Even if it doesn't mean We'll be getting jab 1 cancel back, it's better than nothing, which could happen as well.

I suggest that we all experiment with meteor bombs a bit more. It might be Link's only solution to the whole jab cancel issue. The only downside I see to this so far is that you need to spam bombs way more than usual.
This has one problem. most tournaments don't accept and might never accept customs. What then? You can't even ue them in FG. Will you play offline vs the PC forever?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
This has one problem. most tournaments don't accept and might never accept customs. What then? You can't even ue them in FG. Will you play offline vs the PC forever?
If that's the case, then there goes our potential savior of Link's viability. We'd just have to look for a new one then, which would probably have to do with an AT/ATs that can still involve regular bombs. Imo, the Uthrow bomb slide variations and shine bomb tether cancels seem to have the most potential for pretty obvious reasons. I feel that they should be experimented with as well.

I hope that at some point in the future, someone can either make a Project Melee-like mod that is more balanced or simply a re-balanced mod, and that hopefully it can take off in the scene. I really don't trust Sakurai and the Sora team after what they did to Link's jab 1. It was completely unjust and unnecessary. They just proved that even after teaming up with freaking Namco Bandai, they still don't have a clue about how to balance a fighting game which is pretty damn hopeless.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Be honest. Sakurai can't really make Link worse, the loss of jab cancel is as bad as it gets. Instead we should look forward to Sakurai's patches and hope he cripples the rest of the Smash cast.
Oh, trust me he'll find a way.

I honestly think Sakurai wants Link built to BE a campy character. Why bother even giving him the sword. Just let Link hold his bow and arrow the whole time. Might as well since Sakurai has a thing against Links sword.

I'm curious how bad Gays sword play is honestly

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Oh, trust me he'll find a way.

I honestly think Sakurai wants Link built to BE a campy character. Why bother even giving him the sword. Just let Link hold his bow and arrow the whole time. Might as well since Sakurai has a thing against Links sword.

I'm curious how bad Gays sword play is honestly
Pretty bad I'd imagine since he was designed campy since the update that came out just before Sm4sh U's release.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
If you want. It's more of a tradition if anything. No idea when it caught on though lol.
Of course not, because it was ****ing years ago when you were still watching Spongebob on Nickelodeon and trying to fit in with the preschoolers.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Of course not, because it was ****ing years ago when you were still watching Spongebob on Nickelodeon and trying to fit in with the preschoolers.
This is gold. Made my day so hard that I should just go sleep, nothing can top this. Unless Cat posts. His posts are always gold.

If that's the case, then there goes our potential savior of Link's viability. We'd just have to look for a new one then, which would probably have to do with an AT/ATs that can still involve regular bombs. Imo, the Uthrow bomb slide variations and shine bomb tether cancels seem to have the most potential for pretty obvious reasons. I feel that they should be experimented with as well.

I hope that at some point in the future, someone can either make a Project Melee-like mod that is more balanced or simply a re-balanced mod, and that hopefully it can take off in the scene. I really don't trust Sakurai and the Sora team after what they did to Link's jab 1. It was completely unjust and unnecessary. They just proved that even after teaming up with freaking Namco Bandai, they still don't have a clue about how to balance a fighting game which is pretty damn hopeless.
There's no if. That's the case, period. Customs will most probably never be standard tourney setting. Also, no AT can save Link now because his frame data is messed up. See the only AT that could save Link as he is now would be a broken one, which would be fixed in the next patch. Link needs a from data overhaul to reduce the risks of his moves, increase his options, and have his throws actually do something. Sakurai obviously doesn't care about real balance, but rather wants us to play the game the way he wants it to be played. That means that if he wants Link to be crap and play as a camper, that's what we'll be. Also, he obviously balances around FG, and Link will always be OP for scrubs, so unless they start balancing around the competitive scene Link is doomed.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Yeah the problem is Link is actually ridiculous in FG because nobody knows how to handle his pressure (cuz scrubs). But competitively, he's got practically nothing because the competitive level smashers know how to deal with anything Link has. For example, because Link mains have to be dedicated to all his moves, the better players in the competitive scene punish him with ease.

Fantastic on FG = Disgusting nerfs = bad in Tourneys.

Such is the fate of Link.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Looks like we're in the Dark Age of Sm4sh.

Warning Received
I'm just going to tell you guys what I told Ele.

Life is like a prison inmate's ass. When things aren't ****ty, you're just about to get ****ed. Things were good for Link. Good enough. Now we have no jab. Life continues as it always has, a constant cycle of metaphorical prison sex.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Couldn't agree more. I'm so damn sad...

on a side note...why in the **** can people shield between samus' jabs. NO NO NO! that's completely unacceptable. Fix **** please. don't ruin already stuggling characters

Last edited:

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Link is definitely not as good as he was before the patch, but he's been worse. Just keep hope they'd release another patch soon, maybe when they fix the Mewtwo thing or when Lucas comes out, and gives him back his cancel. Til then, just accept it, and work on being better like we always have. There's still options for Link, just not many approach options and kill options.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
I'm just going to tell you guys what I told Ele.

Life is like a prison inmate's ***. When things aren't ****ty, you're just about to get ****ed. Things were good for Link. Good enough. Now we have no jab. Life continues as it always has, a constant cycle of metaphorical prison sex.
Uncle Shin, please make me feel all better. Please spank me.

Welcome back.

noisetank01

Smash Rookie
Hey Elessar, so far so good. Framerate is good. Audio is great. I've been watching on my iPhone via the twitch app and so far, it looks great.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I'm looking at it now, too. Even with my a$$ internet it's not too bad. Also, nice DA read on that last stock. Sonic was all like, "My escape!" and you were all like, "Your DOOM."

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Lol thanks. It's my first time streaming want to test it for the tournament. @Oblivion129 is arriving soon. He's our best player so, we'll see how my nerfed Link fares.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Great! So far the only issues I've seen are due to my own internet. Still trying to hang in there, though. Seeing some good stuff.

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Why did they give him so many IASA frames after jab1? 7 frames is ridiculous. I can understand them wanting to stop the lock, but there were so many other ways it could have been fixed. Even if they did increase the IASA frames, a couple more would have done ok and we'd still be able to utilt afterwards. 7 frames is equal to the start up of a jab, so you can tell they went overboard on the frames.

Link is a great character and he's my childhood hero, but honestly he's not good how he is. Hate to say this, but Gay is superior now. I guess I'll just have to appreciate him outside of the Smash franchise. I'll likely still use him doubles and friendlies, but unfortunately I'm gonna have to find another main for singles. Sorry guys, but I'll still be around.

Last edited:

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
I dont get it why in the god daum world would Sakurai Touch Link!?!?

Just Leave Him Alone!!! There are barely good link out there (Including us)

Top Bottom