• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Pools for Majors has been posted. I landed in Cacogens pool. **** me.
Actually, this is a great opportunity: gently remind him to use Link again. You'd probably lose to the top seeded player in your pool anyway, so no sweat.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Went 3-3 since 1 player DQed. The 3 players I lost to were better than me so I did about what I should have. Could have done a bit better and gotten out of pool if I beat rank #3 (which I did sometimes during friendlies earlier), but stuff happens.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
That was basically the whole reason why I cropped this out of the video. I could have gone with something more generic, more cool perhaps, but when I saw it I thought, yeah that's me, that's the face.
hahaha

Though that does bring a question i've been meaning to ask. Where is it from? What video(is it a cutscene from the game)?

:135:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know it's kinda strange that they would delay the game and announce it for NX at the same time. We don't even know what the NX will be but now we know it'll be powerful enough to run Zelda Wii U. I guess that's kinda his news? But seriously Nintendo, what the hell.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I probably won't buy the NX and will get a cheep PS4 when Sony's PS5 comes out. Nintendo's been turning into an anime/kid's company and disappointed with several of their big sellers. LoZ had Triforce Heroes, Mario had SM3D World instead of a SM64 style game like Galaxy, Metroid has gone steadily downhill since MP3 with Other M and Federation chibi. Their good titles like Monster Hunter are often only for the 3DS. What games do they have geared for adult audiences (not necessary rated M though)?
I'm kind of sick of how everything is done in cheesy anime style.

/bad mood

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA2-0nTxaGg
This doesn't necessarily mean I watched it...
Cool. That was awesome to watch!

I probably won't buy the NX and will get a cheep PS4 when Sony's PS5 comes out. Nintendo's been turning into an anime/kid's company and disappointed with several of their big sellers. LoZ had Triforce Heroes, Mario had SM3D World instead of a SM64 style game like Galaxy, Metroid has gone steadily downhill since MP3 with Other M and Federation chibi. Their good titles like Monster Hunter are often only for the 3DS. What games do they have geared for adult audiences (not necessary rated M though)?
I'm kind of sick of how everything is done in cheesy anime style.

/bad mood
You seem a bit salty if I may say. I mean sure, Nintendo's games have gotten a bit more kid friendly than in the past. But the Wii U still got some really good games (like XenoBlade Chronicles X).

Hopefully they can step there game up a bit. I have hopes in the NX. Though I definitely won't get it on release (I'll probably just get a PS4 and wait for FF7 remake and stuff)

Though I don't know why your complaining about anime. Nintendo's aren't really all that much anime.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
You seem a bit salty if I may say. I mean sure, Nintendo's games have gotten a bit more kid friendly than in the past. But the Wii U still got some really good games (like XenoBlade Chronicles X).
Nintendo had a period when you knew you were getting top quality installations of each franchise from the N64 era to sometime during the wii. For Paper Mario, we got the N64 version then a PM TTYD which upped the anti while keeping the series' style. For traditional 3D Mario games we got SM64, Sunshine, Galaxy and Galaxy 2, each an expansion of, but true to, the previous. Metroid Primes were top quality sci-fi FPS games. Zelda games were always top quality; even if the style changed, you knew you were getting the best quest/dungeon busters out there.
Then sometime during the Wii era and on spin-offs came out that regressed the series. Metroid Other M with hallway style areas and artificially lengthened forced walking sections, comic book esk graphics and a bad story is the "prime" example of this. But to names some others, PM: Sticker Star, SM 3D world, TriForce Heroes, Metroid Prime Federation Force, Mario Party 10 with the kart mechanic (I've heard), all regressed from the quality of their predecessors. What Nintendo needed to make was quality games like Pikmin 3, DK Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8 that were better the the previous games. I want to a 3D Mario platformer with Mario Kart 8 quality environments I can explore.
If I'm not getting good 1st party games from Nintendo, I might as well go for the better version of 3rd party games on consoles with better graphics (Sonic Unleashed is a good example of a cruddy version made for the wii while other consoles got better versions).
Though I don't know why your complaining about anime. Nintendo's are really all that much anime.
?

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Nintendo had a period when you knew you were getting top quality installations of each franchise from the N64 era to sometime during the wii. For Paper Mario, we got the N64 version then a PM TTYD which upped the anti while keeping the series' style. For traditional 3D Mario games we got SM64, Sunshine, Galaxy and Galaxy 2, each an expansion of, but true to, the previous. Metroid Primes were top quality sci-fi FPS games. Zelda games were always top quality; even if the style changed, you knew you were getting the best quest/dungeon busters out there.
Then sometime during the Wii era and on spin-offs came out that regressed the series. Metroid Other M with hallway style areas and artificially lengthened forced walking sections, comic book esk graphics and a bad story is the "prime" example of this. But to names some others, PM: Sticker Star, SM 3D world, TriForce Heroes, Metroid Prime Federation Force, Mario Party 10 with the kart mechanic (I've heard), all regressed from the quality of their predecessors. What Nintendo needed to make was quality games like Pikmin 3, DK Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8 that were better the the previous games. I want to a 3D Mario platformer with Mario Kart 8 quality environments I can explore.
If I'm not getting good 1st party games from Nintendo, I might as well go for the better version of 3rd party games on consoles with better graphics (Sonic Unleashed is a good example of a cruddy version made for the wii while other consoles got better versions).
I mean that's really fair enough and I agree with you. Nintendo did seem to drop there A-game a bit during the Wii era. But you just seem to be focusing a bit to much on the negatives. Like the Zelda example you gave. Sure, TriForce Heroes probably isn't great (wouldn't know since i haven't played it but really doesn't look like anything to super critize) but then again, we have had like 4 great Zelda games before it (yeah some of them were remakes so what?). All I am trying to say is that you can't expect every game to come from Nintendo to be great. Particular when they actually for once start trying new things.

Sorry that was meant to be aren't. What's wrong with anime anyway? I personally hate the realistic style that games are heading. It just makes the characters look uncanny and creepy....

Rizen

Smash Legend
Like the Zelda example you gave. Sure, TriForce Heroes probably isn't great (wouldn't know since i haven't played it but really doesn't look like anything to super critize) but then again, we have had like 4 great Zelda games before it (yeah some of them were remakes so what?).
It wouldn't be so bad if Nintendo hadn't kept delaying Zelda U. Fans thought it would come out as early as late 2013. Same goes for a new Metroid game. Nintendo advertised the Wii U based on having really awesome games like shown in their tech demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_fyOkrteqM. I got a Wii U (and not 3DS) based on thinking Nintendo would make games looking as good as that. But they kept delaying it over and over and putting out recycled material or mediocre spin offs instead (I heard ALBW was good but it doesn't help people who don't have a 3DS). Remakes are fine if you don't have the games but I'm not going to by games I already own. Plus Nintendo has made so many remakes and re-releases already; take OoT: OoT for the N64, Zelda Collector's, Master Quest, Wii E-shop, Wii U Eshop and 3DS remake. They have don't this with many, many games. They can only ride the wake so much.

The Wii U was a disappointing console.

Sorry that was meant to be aren't. What's wrong with anime anyway? I personally hate the realistic style that games are heading. It just makes the characters look uncanny and creepy....
Warning, i go on a rant so skip this if you can't take criticism about anime.

It's not limited to realistic vs anime. The problem with anime is it's the same exact style copied over and over. Western cartoons at least have their own styles. I thought about it and can't find western cartoons made by different people that are the same animation style. For example:
everyone is, for better or for worse, doing their own style.

Anime isn't. You could take a character from Pokemon, Digimon, (looks up anime pics)
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=anime+pic&t=ffsb&iax=1&ia=images
any of these and interchange them. They're all done with the same formula (accented upper eyes, ovaloid irises and pupils, minimal to no nose, poorly defined mouth that can become whatever shape the expression needs, horizontally elongated head head, spiky style hairs, skinny bodies only emphasizing the defining gender traits rather than showing proper muscle groups or proportions.

And in that it's an very cut-corner figure style. The expressive parts of the face are enlarged without regard to proportions, sometimes the head is actually blow up or shown with expression bubbles (like a water drop) instead of learning to draw expressions.

as an artist, I find this lazy. It's a cut-corner excuse for learning facial features.
The same goes for anime bodies. They usually have no idea how muscle groups or the human body moves.

Anime has stunted artistic development because people think it looks good. It's a very poorly developed style of figure drawing that people need to get over and actually learn to really draw.
This in addition to the widespread copying of the style really bugs me. Cartoons and figure art are at a stand still for many young artists and animators because of it.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman

?
TFH was the 4th Zelda game on 3DS after the great OOT & MM remakes and the amazing Link Between Worlds. Plus, it was basically Four Swords Adventures that was easily accessible and that was awesome to see. People complain about the game a bit too much. This is actually a game where I'm able to go online and there aren't really any trolls, and I was able to finish the whole game only playing online. I rarely noticed any lag either. They then released a bonus "den of trials" super level as a free update. Have you actually played it Rizen (since you don't have a 3DS I presume not)? The "single player" was clearly tacked on, but that clearly wasn't the point of the game from the start. I honestly think it would have reviewed higher if they cut that content because the online game was awesome. The internet is super whiny sometimes and far more prevalent than it was in the past. That's why games from the previous generation that were bad (Star Fox Assault, etc.) don't get half as much grief as Zero is getting now. Remember the grief people had over Majora's Mask? Now people love it (I actually didn't like it when playing it when I was young and appreciated it much more now than I'm older).

Mario Party has had quality issues since the GameCube days. Mario Party 8 on Wii was terrible to be honest. The minigames just weren't fun. People hated 5 too. Mario Party 9 & 10 had fun minigames, but ironically screwed up the board mechanic with the cart. It might be fine with other people, but the CPUs are freaking terrible in the kart (their luck knows no bounds).

Keep in mind the Wii U was a colossal failure. The games they've put out are to please those with a Wii U. Most companies would have cut their losses much earlier than Nintendo by trying to move to something new or just giving up (like Sony with the Vita). Thus the games that were actually far along in Wii U development came out and were all really high quality (Mario Kart 8, Smash Wii U, Splatoon, 3D World, Super Mario Maker, Pokken, etc.), some games are clearly filler (Amiibo Festival), and others are kind of middle ground. Also, you're hating on 3D World when arguably Sunshine was a worse game lol. They were trying to make a multiplayer Mario platformer in 3D and it works really well. As a 1 player game, it's amazing in the later levels. No idea how you play those last levels in multiplayer though xD.

Basically I think it's a bit of hyperbole from you. In terms of games targeting an older audience, Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame & Xenoblade X are some recent examples.

Also keep in mind Sony is doing the whole PS4 Neo stuff (to be announced during E3), so console gens might be a bit weird going forward...

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
People complain about the game [Triforce Heroes] a bit too much. This is actually a game where I'm able to go online and there aren't really any trolls, and I was able to finish the whole game only playing online. I rarely noticed any lag either. They then released a bonus "den of trials" super level as a free update. Have you actually played it Rizen (since you don't have a 3DS I presume not)? The "single player" was clearly tacked on, but that clearly wasn't the point of the game from the start. I honestly think it would have reviewed higher if they cut that content because the online game was awesome.

Keep in mind the Wii U was a colossal failure. The games they've put out are to please though with a Wii U. Most companies would have cut their losses much earlier than Nintendo by trying to move to something new and just giving up (like Sony with the Vita). Thus the games that were actually far along in Wii U development came out and were all really high quality (Mario Kart 8, Smash Wii U, Splatoon, 3D World, Super Mario Maker, etc.). Also, you're hating on 3D World when arguably Sunshine was a worse game lol. They were trying to make a multiplayer Mario platformer in 3D and it works really well. As a 1 player game, it's amazing in the later levels. No idea how you play those last levels in multiplayer though xD.

Basically I think it's a bit of hyperbole from you. In terms of games targeting an older audience, Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame & Xenoblade X are some recent examples.

Also keep in mind Sony is doing the whole PS4 Neo stuff (to be announced during E3), so console gens might be a bit weird going forward...
People were right to complain about TH. I haven't played it but did see a full LP on youtube. The story was insultingly bad, everyone in Hytopia was completely shallow and the game should never have been in the Zelda Universe. The levels were a series of small puzzles rather than proper dungeons. Four Swords, although made for multiplayer at least fit with the series and had full dungeons. Having a fashion driven LoZ is like having a James Bond musical with a kick line; of course people will complain about it.

I haven't played Mario Party since the Game cube so I was basing my statement on what I heard :/

The problem with SM3D World was it was something that was done on the 3DS. If we're talking next gen console games they should show off the system's capabilities. 3DW levels were "hallway" style that was used in the past because larger areas couldn't load. In games like Galaxy or even Sunshine the environments were large and open to roam. These style environments take more processing power (Other M was rightfully criticized for abandoning the large Prime style environments for hallways). I'm not saying 3D world is a bad game but we as gamers had high hopes after Galaxy that weren't met. Look at the levels in Mario Kart 8 compared to SM3D World: that's what I'm talking about. MK8 looked better and had huge areas with a lot going on.

Okay, Bayonetta and FF I admit are targeting older audiences but Xenoblade really isn't. It's a great game but good for younger players too. When I say targeting older audiences I mean things like Metroid Prime 1. What we got was chibi Metroid.

I mean Nintendo is trying to be more of a family company; it's pretty clear. They have more and more party style games and less hard-core games. Most of Nintendo's big hits that seemed to be hard core during the N64 and GC era have turned into party games. (Edit) and disk locked content keys called Amiibos.
We don't know what they'll do with the NX and it could end up being amazing. But if it keeps heading the way the Wii U did I'll give it a pass.

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
People were right to complain about TH. I haven't played it but did see a full LP on youtube. The story was insultingly bad, everyone in Hytopia was completely shallow and the game should never have been in the Zelda Universe. The levels were a series of small puzzles rather than proper dungeons. Four Swords, although made for multiplayer at least fit with the series and had full dungeons. Having a fashion driven LoZ is like having a James Bond musical with a kick line; of course people will complain about it.

I haven't played Mario Party since the Game cube so I was basing my statement on what I heard :/

The problem with SM3D World was it was something that was done on the 3DS. If we're talking next gen console games they should show off the system's capabilities. 3DW levels were "hallway" style that was used in the past because larger areas couldn't load. In games like Galaxy or even Sunshine the environments were large and open to roam. These style environments take more processing power (Other M was rightfully criticized for abandoning the large Prime style environments for hallways). I'm not saying 3D world is a bad game but we as gamers had high hopes after Galaxy that weren't met. Look at the levels in Mario Kart 8 compared to SM3D World: that's what I'm talking about. MK8 looked better and had huge areas with a lot going on.

Okay, Bayonetta and FF I admit are targeting older audiences but Xenoblade really isn't. It's a great game but good for younger players too. When I say targeting older audiences I mean things like Metroid Prime 1. What we got was chibi Metroid.

I mean Nintendo is trying to be more of a family company; it's pretty clear. They have more and more party style games and less hard-core games. Most of Nintendo's big hits that seemed to be hard core during the N64 and GC era have turned into party games. (Edit) and disk locked content keys called Amiibos.
We don't know what they'll do with the NX and it could end up being amazing. But if it keeps heading the way the Wii U did I'll give it a pass.
What's wrong with having a silly story that has absolutely no bearing on the Zelda universe? It's supposed to be very tongue in cheek. This was that type of spinoff. MM3D literally had released 6 months before and everyone already bought that (it sold over 500K in its 1st month in the US). The reason you had shorter series of puzzles was to allow for quick local/online play. Having full dungeons in a multiplayer online game simply wouldn't work very well. You can probably keep people around for like 20 mins online, not for 1-2 hours. I genuinely enjoyed the game, and I felt like most of the criticism online wasn't actually anything constructive (except about the single player). I guess we can agree to disagree lol.

I'm not sure how aware you were of the GC era, but Nintendo was called "kiddy" like crazy during that era. Sunshine's water gun and the cartoony style of Wind Waker were mocked heavily when those games were released. Wind Waker was also clearly an unfinished/rushed game. I don't really care about that stuff now that I'm older, but that is how the GC was received by the teenage audience at the time. Nintendo has also always had tons of party games. They were probably more guilty of this in the Wii/GC era. There were 4 Mario Parties on GC, tons of sports games, etc. I don't think the ratio has changed that much from the GC days, and if anything the ratio might skew towards more single player stuff. Also Galaxy didn't require more processing power per se. It was actually criticized by some for not being open like 64/Sunshine. Ironically 3D World is closer to Galaxy in that regard in terms of linearity. My understanding was that Nintendo was trying to fuse 2D and 3D Mario along with multiplayer, making kind of a third type of Mario to go alongside 2D (SMB) & traditional 3D (64/Sunshine) Mario while remaining more accessible.

The interesting part there with Galaxy was the gravity, but otherwise levels were generally made of pretty small planetoids that you moved from one place to the other. I liked Galaxy more than 3D World, but that's because it was something completely new. I agree that 3D World wasn't a great technical showpiece for the Wii U compared to Mario Kart 8, but at the same time Nintendo sucks at revealing games. Their second 3D World trailer was so much better than the initial E3 reveal.

Metroid Prime was T btw, same as Smash, Zelda, etc. Also if you do get into Xenoblade sidequests, there are some fairly interesting moral dilemmas in there, some people dealing with death of loved ones and learning to push forward. There are talks about "racism" when dealing with aliens too. It's a lot deeper than it looks at first glance in my experience. Then again, I wouldn't consider a lot of M rated games actually "mature" as things like CoD honestly attracts a lot of kids/young teenagers.

Federation Force... I'm not even really going to go there. It's just a lot of people (probably kids) being entitled. This was a game Tanabe wanted to make for a while (local multiplayer is really popular in Japan with things like Monster Hunter), and when they finally do, all you hear is "omg the main chars are chibi. Fire everyone!" T_T.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Guys serious question

Is it worth getting TP HD? Cause I've already got the game on Wii and I enjoy it (expect for the over done waggle fest) and I just wan't to know if there is anything the HD version has that makes it worth getting it again cause so far it looks like a no.

Seriously, have you seen how ugly some of the models are in game?

It wouldn't be so bad if Nintendo hadn't kept delaying Zelda U. Fans thought it would come out as early as late 2013. Same goes for a new Metroid game. Nintendo advertised the Wii U based on having really awesome games like shown in their tech demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_fyOkrteqM. I got a Wii U (and not 3DS) based on thinking Nintendo would make games looking as good as that. But they kept delaying it over and over and putting out recycled material or mediocre spin offs instead (I heard ALBW was good but it doesn't help people who don't have a 3DS). Remakes are fine if you don't have the games but I'm not going to by games I already own. Plus Nintendo has made so many remakes and re-releases already; take OoT: OoT for the N64, Zelda Collector's, Master Quest, Wii E-shop, Wii U Eshop and 3DS remake. They have don't this with many, many games. They can only ride the wake so much.

The Wii U was a disappointing console.
Oh okay, now I get you. Yeah you are right, it is a little annoying that Nintendo kept advertising for this new Zelda game and the only on so far we have gotten is ALBW (though it was pretty good). But to be fair, Hyrule Warriors was a good game too.

Though like you said, we just want a new Zelda game and were promised one for Wii U and then it turns out they are waiting until there next console to release it. It's annoying

Warning, i go on a rant so skip this if you can't take criticism about anime.

It's not limited to realistic vs anime. The problem with anime is it's the same exact style copied over and over. Western cartoons at least have their own styles. I thought about it and can't find western cartoons made by different people that are the same animation style. For example:
everyone is, for better or for worse, doing their own style.

Anime isn't. You could take a character from Pokemon, Digimon, (looks up anime pics)
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=anime+pic&t=ffsb&iax=1&ia=images
any of these and interchange them. They're all done with the same formula (accented upper eyes, ovaloid irises and pupils, minimal to no nose, poorly defined mouth that can become whatever shape the expression needs, horizontally elongated head head, spiky style hairs, skinny bodies only emphasizing the defining gender traits rather than showing proper muscle groups or proportions.

And in that it's an very cut-corner figure style. The expressive parts of the face are enlarged without regard to proportions, sometimes the head is actually blow up or shown with expression bubbles (like a water drop) instead of learning to draw expressions.

as an artist, I find this lazy. It's a cut-corner excuse for learning facial features.
The same goes for anime bodies. They usually have no idea how muscle groups or the human body moves.

Anime has stunted artistic development because people think it looks good. It's a very poorly developed style of figure drawing that people need to get over and actually learn to really draw.
This in addition to the widespread copying of the style really bugs me. Cartoons and figure art are at a stand still for many young artists and animators because of it.
Oh, I get it now where your coming from. And now I can see you anger towards the style. But i mean, there are still some unique anime styles (like Fire Emblem for example) But you do have a point, it has gotten to a point where it really is just copy and past and is a little unoriginal and just not realistic at all. But then again, I don't think it was ever meant to be. I mean, in the end, I still like it, but that's cause i'm a sucker for over expression or just use of expressions in general

Rizen

Smash Legend
What's wrong with having a silly story that has absolutely no bearing on the Zelda universe? It's supposed to be very tongue in cheek. This was that type of spinoff. MM3D literally had released 6 months before and everyone already bought that (it sold over 500K in its 1st month in the US). The reason you had shorter series of puzzles was to allow for quick local/online play. Having full dungeons in a multiplayer online game simply wouldn't work very well. You can probably keep people around for like 20 mins online, not for 1-2 hours. I genuinely enjoyed the game, and I felt like most of the criticism online wasn't actually anything constructive (except about the single player). I guess we can agree to disagree lol.

I'm not sure how aware you were of the GC era, but Nintendo was called "kiddy" like crazy during that era. Sunshine's water gun and the cartoony style of Wind Waker were mocked heavily when those games were released. Wind Waker was also clearly an unfinished/rushed game. I don't really care about that stuff now that I'm older, but that is how the GC was received by the teenage audience at the time. Nintendo has also always had tons of party games. They were probably more guilty of this in the Wii/GC era. There were 4 Mario Parties on GC, tons of sports games, etc. I don't think the ratio has changed that much from the GC days, and if anything the ratio might skew towards more single player stuff. Also Galaxy didn't require more processing power per se. It was actually criticized by some for not being open like 64/Sunshine. Ironically 3D World is closer to Galaxy in that regard in terms of linearity. My understanding was that Nintendo was trying to fuse 2D and 3D Mario along with multiplayer, making kind of a third type of Mario to go alongside 2D (SMB) & traditional 3D (64/Sunshine) Mario while remaining more accessible.

The interesting part there with Galaxy was the gravity, but otherwise levels were generally made of pretty small planetoids that you moved from one place to the other. I liked Galaxy more than 3D World, but that's because it was something completely new. I agree that 3D World wasn't a great technical showpiece for the Wii U compared to Mario Kart 8, but at the same time Nintendo sucks at revealing games. Their second 3D World trailer was so much better than the initial E3 reveal.

Metroid Prime was T btw, same as Smash, Zelda, etc. Also if you do get into Xenoblade sidequests, there are some fairly interesting moral dilemmas in there, some people dealing with death of loved ones and learning to push forward. There are talks about "racism" when dealing with aliens too. It's a lot deeper than it looks at first glance in my experience. Then again, I wouldn't consider a lot of M rated games actually "mature" as things like CoD honestly attracts a lot of kids/young teenagers.

Federation Force... I'm not even really going to go there. It's just a lot of people (probably kids) being entitled. This was a game Tanabe wanted to make for a while (local multiplayer is really popular in Japan with things like Monster Hunter), and when they finally do, all you hear is "omg the main chars are chibi. Fire everyone!" T_T.
TF was a bad game, you can enjoy it but that doesn't make it good quality. IDK how many online games you play but people will easily play for hours. Fans expect certain things and quality from established series. It's like if a fancy restaurant started serving spam. Some people like spam but it wouldn't go over well with their clientele.

Wind Waker had a style I disliked but it was a good Zelda game. I can't say TH was. WW was much better quality than TH. The GC era had a lot of kiddy stuff, true but the 1st party series always had a lot of effort put into them. WW, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Mario Sunshine... we didn't have thrown together spin-offs (not including certain non-platformer Mario titles which weren't part of the core Mario series).
"Also Galaxy didn't require more processing power per se. It was actually criticized by some for not being open like 64/Sunshine."
Who said that? Galaxy had several big levels like beach bowl, honey hive, freezeflame, toy time... Galaxy 2 did start to get more linear though.

I agree with this part.

Don't get me started on Xenoblade side quests. They were largely separate from the rest of the game. Talking about racism isn't anything new to kid's media *coughXMencough*. The parts with Boze were actually pretty well done. There were only a few isolated things I didn't think were kid friendly and those seemed shoe horned in. Prone eating that blade was pretty dark. The game was pretty light, it didn't even have blood (not a criticism).

@ Federation Force, the only 2 Metroids we have gotten in a long time are Other M and FF. This series was well respected as Nintendo's serious, realistic sci-fi series before them. See my point about why making a James Bond musical would be a bad idea.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Kind of strong words coming from someone who hasn't actually played TFH (watching a let's play still isn't playing it to be fair). Destiny got a similar metacritic review score but is rarely called a "bad game". Disappointing? I could see that. Bad? I wouldn't say so. The communication aspect and the idea that you actually have to work as a team (TFH really added a layer to the teamwork that FSA didn't really have), was pretty cool. I feel like most of the negativity from this game came from reviews complaining that it wasn't a traditional Zelda game or from people who hadn't played it (or from those who hadn't played FSA either). Everyone I know who played it thought it was fun. I wasn't saying it was the best game ever, but that it's fun. It gets put in the same sentence as Amiibo Festival & Mario Tennis Open from others (not you), which is totally unfair imo. *Shrugs*

Also with online games, don't you play a game for hours but with lots of shorter matches? Shooters are definitely that way (CoD, Splatoon, etc.). Thus people can quickly cycle in or out, and sometimes you get a group of people (locally or online) that stick around and plow through a bunch of levels that way. I assume the point of TFH was to go for that time of gameplay. Seems reasonable enough to me at least.

My understanding with Other M was it was Nintendo's misguided attempt to get Metroid popular in Japan again. Thus they brought back Sakamoto (director of Super Metroid and plenty of other good 2D Metroids) and then asked him to make a 3D Metroid game to see how that went. Unfortunately it sold about the same as Metroid Prime 3 in Japan, and then basically put the series on hold for about 5 years because of how badly it did in the West (I haven't played the game, but it seems like it was mediocre). However, I still think it's overreaction on the part of Federation Force. Mainly because I think Nintendo thought that they couldn't provide a traditional Metroid sequel in a reasonable time (probably was slated for late Wii U and got moved to NX, or possibly something else entirely), and thought they'd give Metroid fans a spinoff in the meantime. Instead of just ignoring the spinoff and continuing to ask reasonably for a full Metroid, people starting cursing out Federation Force, even though the awesome Next Level games was developing it.

For Galaxy, Beach Bowl was the main open one and I actually thought it was one of the weaker levels. Freezeflame was awesome, but was more branching paths as opposed to "open world" imo. I remember Honey Hive being kind of like Freezeflame. None of them were as open as a Mario 64 level except Beach Bowl iirc though.

Anyways, I think a lot of this comes down to the poor performance of the Wii U, and the general decline of the 3DS in terms of sales more recently. You're rushing to get something out to market, and thus something like TFH is a quick game you can make in a shorter timeframe. Thus we're getting HD ports, etc. to fill up the gap and other games through partnerships with third parties. Meanwhile, apart from the Zelda team, we haven't heard a peep from the Mario Kart team, the 3D Mario team, Retro Studios, and plenty of Nintendo's top teams in a while. If they aren't working on NX projects, then I have no idea what's going on.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Kind of strong words coming from someone who hasn't actually played TFH
This is an ad hominem. By this logic you have no right to defend Federation Force, which isn't released yet.

MMORPGs seem like long online games. Monster Hunter had 50 minute hunts and the same people in a room would go on several in a row.

The Metroid Prime series was one of Nintendo's best looking series. The down grade to chibi style warranted criticism.

Only a few galaxies were hallway style though. Galaxy did a better job showing what Nintendo could do with Mario games than 3D World.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Guys serious question

Is it worth getting TP HD? Cause I've already got the game on Wii and I enjoy it (expect for the over done waggle fest) and I just wan't to know if there is anything the HD version has that makes it worth getting it again cause so far it looks like a no.

Seriously, have you seen how ugly some of the models are in game?

Not particularly, no. The game is much prettier than what the trailers show. Other than that everything is still pretty much the same. I bought it just because I love Twilight Princess ( and Wolf Link Amiibo) but it's not an absolute necessity to own.

The models are ugly because the original game had a bad art direction to begin with.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
This is an ad hominem. By this logic you have no right to defend Federation Force, which isn't released yet.

MMORPGs seem like long online games. Monster Hunter had 50 minute hunts and the same people in a room would go on several in a row.

The Metroid Prime series was one of Nintendo's best looking series. The down grade to chibi style warranted criticism.

Only a few galaxies were hallway style though. Galaxy did a better job showing what Nintendo could do with Mario games than 3D World.
I can't say I agree with the ad hominem. I'm arguing against your position based on the fact that I've played the game thoroughly and you haven't been able to play it. With Fed Force it's kind of impossible for anyone to have played it, so of course everything is just conjecture.

Anyways, I assumed it'd be hard to do long online things like what's in MMOs on a portable. 3DS doesn't have the greatest battery life. Fair point that Federation Force hasn't released. But at the same time, the reactions to Fed Force were far beyond "criticism" imo from other folks who also haven't played the game (it was more anger). I think criticism is fine. Ridiculous hatred that some folks show is not. So basically the argument against Fed Force's chibi graphics are similar to Wind Waker's graphics, right?

Anyways... TPHD looks better in person than the trailers? Hm interesting. I wouldn't have expected that. Nintendo does really suck with trailers lol. For other companies, trailers look better than the game. For Nintendo it's always the opposite xD.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Not particularly, no. The game is much prettier than what the trailers show. Other than that everything is still pretty much the same. I bought it just because I love Twilight Princess ( and Wolf Link Amiibo) but it's not an absolute necessity to own.

The models are ugly because the original game had a bad art direction to begin with.
I mean, I did enjoy TP, though it's not my favourite (one of my least to be honest though)

Yeah, I never liked the realistic art style and the HD really doesn't help it in certain cases. Just look at this as an example

Her face is just... ew... (mostly the lips though)

Well this conversation's run its course.

On another topic I looked up Samus' hitbubbles. She has a lot more disjoint than I assumed; I'll do better knowing that.
http://smashboards.com/threads/samus-hitbox-visualization.432829/
Not surprised. She has a lot of Fire ball moves out of her cannons

D

Deleted member

Twilight Princess was and still is a solid game in my opinion, though its not without problems. As someone who has played and beaten the HD version recently, I don't consider it as much of an upgrade from the original as past Zelda remakes/remasters have been, so I'm sure at least most of those who didn't enjoy TP on GameCube or Wii wouldn't be fond of the same game with prettier graphics and other minor enhancements.

On a different note, here's my updated top 5 Zelda games list (in no particular order):
  • A Link to the Past
  • Ocarina of Time
  • Majora's Mask
  • The Wind Waker
  • A Link Between Worlds - I finally got this along with MM3D and WWHD last year during a buy-two-get-one-free sale at my local Target, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Twilight Princess was and still is a solid game in my opinion, though its not without problems. As someone who has played and beaten the HD version recently, I don't consider it as much of an upgrade from the original as past Zelda remakes/remasters have been, so I'm sure at least most of those who didn't enjoy TP on GameCube or Wii wouldn't be fond of the same game with prettier graphics and other minor enhancements.

On a different note, here's my updated top 5 Zelda games list (in no particular order):
  • A Link to the Past
  • Ocarina of Time
  • Majora's Mask
  • The Wind Waker
  • A Link Between Worlds - I finally got this along with MM3D and WWHD last year during a buy-two-get-one-free sale at my local Target, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the game.
Yeah. I mean, I might get the HD version (i'd sell my Wii version) but that would only be so that if I do play it again, I'm not just flailing my arms all over the place. Unlike Skyward Swords motion control, TP is just... "argh" at best.

Rizen

Smash Legend
TP had really good aiming with the bow. The HD remake was disappointing because I expected a full remake like they did with WW.

Dumbfire Dumbfire , have you read any good books lately?

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
I mean, I did enjoy TP, though it's not my favourite (one of my least to be honest though)

Yeah, I never liked the realistic art style and the HD really doesn't help it in certain cases. Just look at this as an example

Her face is just... ew... (mostly the lips though)

Not surprised. She has a lot of Fire ball moves out of her cannons

llia probably went through some strange plastic surgery in the past 10 years. at least her face isn't as butt ugly as King Bulblin *shudders*

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
llia probably went through some strange plastic surgery in the past 10 years. at least her face isn't as butt ugly as King Bulblin *shudders*
*looks up Kakariko Village King Bulblin attack cutscene

EWWWW!

Nintendo..... why?! Why the hell does everyone look like there are from the 64 era? No, scratch that, the 64 games looked better. No seriously, the only person in that looks the slightest bit normal is Link. In fact, he looks amazing!

Just, everyone is so ugly?

Edit: And why are the hearts blue?!

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
*looks up Kakariko Village King Bulblin attack cutscene

EWWWW!

Nintendo..... why?! Why the hell does everyone look like there are from the 64 era? No, scratch that, the 64 games looked better. No seriously, the only person in that looks the slightest bit normal is Link. In fact, he looks amazing!

Just, everyone is so ugly?

Edit: And why are the hearts blue?!

Eh I think Ilia looks worse to be honest. Bulbin does look bad though.

epicnights

Smash Apprentice
NNID
epicnights
I'm going to CEO, and with it looking to be one of the biggest super majors of the year, I'm going to be doing my best to do as many friendly matches as possible, writing down notes as well as any advice I happen to get. What I'm wondering is, how should I go about taking notes in regards to match ups? There are some characters that are hard to find played at a high caliber, and nobody wants to find themselves at the short end of the "MU inexperience" stick.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to CEO, and with it looking to be one of the biggest super majors of the year, I'm going to be doing my best to do as many friendly matches as possible, writing down notes as well as any advice I happen to get. What I'm wondering is, how should I go about taking notes in regards to match ups? There are some characters that are hard to find played at a high caliber, and nobody wants to find themselves at the short end of the "MU inexperience" stick.
Hm, will @Sev3n be at CEO? He's the only notable Link in the Florida area that I'm aware of. I'm not sure on how exactly to take down notes though. Obviously you can ask people after matches for tips on your play and then note down things in general (habits you may have, things they found hard to deal with, etc.).

Hm, Abadango thinks Mewtwo vs. Link is even is his (probably optimistic) Mewtwo matchup chart (and puts Toon Link lower than Link).... that's different for once.

Edit: Also apparently ESAM knew about Link's Nair to Dash Attack in the early Smash 4 days (he mentioned he liked the confirm in a For Glory video he just did).

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I got my faith in some of our men in Florida don't you worry, small names now bigger names some day

Top Bottom