• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I don't..... I don't get it.

Well, I mean, no one had the game or even played it when he told us, and just.........

Shut up. leave me alone........:(
NO! You need to learn the ways. You need to experience the deception and dismay so that you may, in turn, also warn others.

Rizen

Smash Legend
So they were trolling me. I KNEW IT. Yeah, they kind of warned me about that early. Thanks for the tip though
Yeah they were just trollin' around.
The post I linked showed Dtilt's spike hitbubbles since you mentioned it earlier.
http://smashboards.com/threads/guid...t-link-in-smash-4.368190/page-4#post-18070535

Anyway, if you have any Qs about Link, want video critiques or to just talk, welcome :)

So who'll be the next mod? It looks like either Zane or Elessar.

I went for a walk today. Trying to get back on the horse again.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Yeah they were just trollin' around.
The post I linked showed Dtilt's spike hitbubbles since you mentioned it earlier.
http://smashboards.com/threads/guid...t-link-in-smash-4.368190/page-4#post-18070535

Anyway, if you have any Qs about Link, want video critiques or to just talk, welcome :)

So who'll be the next mod? It looks like either Zane or Elessar.

I went for a walk today. Trying to get back on the horse again.
Um, actually posted about Link's new Dair, though that dtilt information was helpful, so thanks :chuckle:. Also, thanks for that offer, really appreciate it :)

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
So, how long will it take before we get another mod on the Link boards?

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
So I picked up a Hori Battlepad today seems how the GC adapter apparently doesn't work in the Wii U's Wii mode. (come on Nintendo :facepalm:) Overall, it's about what you would expect from a third party controller. It is a bit wider than a GC controller, I guess because of the extra buttons in the middle. It feels much lighter and the plastic seems cheaper, but it's still sturdy. The L&R buttons are digital instead of analog, but they hinge at the top of the button which is a bit strange. Lastly, the thumb stick doesn't have nearly as much feedback, but it's SUPER sensitive. I would try to pull off a tilt attack and I would either do a smash attack or a dash attack. Also, trying to turn around or just walk would usually result in a dash. I was starting to get the hang of it by the end, but boy did it feel different.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
B-reversals must be a pain to do on that controller. How's the right stick? Button responsiveness?

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
The C-stick feels better than the control stick imo. That might be due to the fact that it's only used for smashes and aerials, but it did feel like it had a bit more feedback. The buttons feel good right now, but I have a feeling they're gonna give out sooner than an official controller would. Again, standard third party stuff.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Actually I find the GC controller just bothersome. You have to go through tons of trouble just to use it when the Wii U Pro is a USB plug-in away from being usable.

Don't get me wrong, its wonderful homage and the GC controller is just about perfect but idk, I'm not up to it. Plus, playing with the Pro controller gets very comfy after a while, though it may seem awkward at first.... anything is better than the Gamepad though lol

Rizen

Smash Legend
Lol I sometimes forget Dair spikes now and read it as Dtilt because how often the Dtilt spike was asked about in Brawl.
I'm waiting for the GCC adapter. After using GCController in Brawl and melee for over 10 years I can't use the Pro controller to save my life in Smash, lol. They're a pain to get though :glare:

I walked today. I've been pretty good about exercising lately.

Word?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Lol I sometimes forget Dair spikes now and read it as Dtilt because how often the Dtilt spike was asked about in Brawl.
I'm waiting for the GCC adapter. After using GCController in Brawl and melee for over 10 years I can't use the Pro controller to save my life in Smash, lol. They're a pain to get though :glare:

Word?
Word?

Also, I'm using the Wii U Pro. It takes sometime getting used to the new position of the cstick, and the control stick is quite sensitive, but I'm loving the controller. The again, I never really liked nor used the GCC, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Word.

A while back I invested in some classic controller pro's (pretty much the Wii version of Playstation controllers...) because the machine I was playing Brawl on didn't have any GCC ports. I used a modified set up that puts the buttons closer to where they would be for a GCC as I, too, grew up with this, but they were spaced much better. The changed analog stick position alleviated left-hand cramping and made my hands more comfortable in general due to more symmetry in my hand position, as well. At first it was just temporary but then I found I couldn't use the GC controllers anymore so I was stuck. This made events a little troublesome/annoying but now I don't have to shell out a hundred dollars just to use the GCC and I don't have to get used to a new setup. Pretty happy about that.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I still don't understand the craze over the gcc. I swear it's pure nostalgia. Also, I do use a custom button setup which is awesome. I have attack, shield, grab, and jump on the shoulder buttons, (zR, zL R, and L respectively) and jump is on b, attack on y, special x and grab a. So damn comfy.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I've always liked it because when your thumb hovers over the A button, all of the other buttons are within reach. The button layout on the GC controller is arguably the most ergonomic of any controller, although I may be biased.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
You guys sure have weird customizations... the weirdest custom i made was with the nunchuck control when i played project m with tap jump off. dpad down was my jump button and my air attacks were on dpad left/right and up. B was to shield, c to grab, and z for special. Sounds pretty uncomfortable, but it's comfortable AND super convenient for me.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I had to use the wiimote and nunchuck to record my comparison video...it was awful. I was constantly switching between different control schemes just to pull off certain's moves. That's why I bought the Hori battlepad.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I still don't understand the craze over the gcc. I swear it's pure nostalgia. Also, I do use a custom button setup which is awesome. I have attack, shield, grab, and jump on the shoulder buttons, (zR, zL R, and L respectively) and jump is on b, attack on y, special x and grab a. So damn comfy.
I use the same trigger setup! When setting up my controller at a Sm4sh party/tourney I got a reaction of general confusion and exasperation from the other participants. Someone even asked, "You seriously need 3 buttons on 'jump'?" while laughing. I won the tournament.

I could understand everything centering around the 'A' being good if you set it to Jump and set your 'B', 'X', and 'Y' buttons to Special, Attack, and Grab (not necessarily in that order, though). That would give you the optimum roll-to action for anything you'd want to happen directly after a jump. The CCP allows this superbly for both attacks and specials and has an extra button so one can more reliably time Zairs (I find LIndex-RIndex is much easier to independently time than RThumb-RIndex). As I look at my controller, I see that my attack button, 'B', is right where the 'A' normally would be anyway, but it's not a big huge green fisher-price masher, crowding out everything else in the area. Everything else is generally where it would be on a GCC except uniform, symmetrical, and simple.

Edit: Also, my thumb covers all four face buttons at once; that and the fact they are on a flat plain means the only time I ever have to move my thumb is for Cstick.

Last edited:

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
The GC Controller is simply the most comfortable and most motion efficient controller for smash. So much so that when I'm using a pro controller I can't even make my thumb acknowledge the right stick in the heat of battle. It just doesn't exist to me, it's too far away.

With the GC while using the A button I can quickly down thumb the c stick to get any aerial or smash I wish for (or tilts, now that smash sticking is broken for aerials), slide from Y to X, B, or A effortlessly due to the shape and size of the buttons, where as a Pro's are rounded and spaced apart in a squared shape, and there is just no thought at all to using it. In puts are natural. I have so little tech skill without a GC controller that it legitimately causes me to SD in ways that can conservatively be called 'creative'.

My set up is Z for grab, L for shield, R for attack, (used to be handy in Brawl, with a broken c stick and no Z drops without Zairing it's less so in 4) Y jump, X and B both special, A is obviously attacks, C was smash, is now Tilts. Tap jump off.

I legitimately believe the GC controller is the single most comfortable and efficient gaming controller that has ever existed.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Word?
That's fine, it all happens to us :).

That nice. You should try run and while you are at it, pick up some stamina fruit so you can keep running :p.

So you guys are talking about controls. Well, I like the Classic Pro controller :). Plz don't hurt me

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Holy crap, Smash Ace already @ The Merc The Merc ? Hope your not spamming the other boards (or something).

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Holy crap, Smash Ace already @ The Merc The Merc ? Hope your not spamming the other boards (or something).
Huh, I do find it funny that I have posted more messages than you and I joined latter. I guess I just really like posting in the Lucina and Robin threads. I can tell if I'm awesome or I have no life :(.

She will understand, it's part of our mission from The Goddess to ensure future generations are tough enough to produce a Hero when the time comes.

You'll thank me for this belting later. And your descendants will call it a heroic sacrifice.
I only be tough so many times, which is why I carry my Triforce of COURAGE :colorful:. I send too much time in the Robin thread, don't I

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
So I just came back from a very long meet. We've been playing an American version of smash 4 for the past few days or so because as if we were going to wait till the Australian release. There is so much I would like to say about the game, but there is one interesting observation in particular that I'd like to share.

Basically, there are characters that got huge buffs in smash 4, not because of any change in their move-set, or speed of attacks, or recovery etc necessarily, but simply because they work better as a character in the smash 4 game. Link and Toon fall into this category. For now though, take Fox for example. Oh sure he got a buff to his recovery by being able to act out of side-b (eventually), but on the whole, looking at just the character Fox in Brawl and in smash 4 and disregarding anything else for now, he actually got very nerffed in general (Dair, Fair, U-smash, U-tilt, Laser and Shine), and yet, Fox as a character in smash 4 is considered one of the best characters. The reasons for this have nothing to do with the differences made to the character; it's because of the fact that smash 4 is a different game and it just so happens to work in his favour. There are the obvious things like the fact that there is more hitstun which means that all the strings of attacks that felt like they should have worked in brawl now actually combo, and then there's the fact that Fox no longer has to worry about ******** matchups with stuff like the pikachu chaingrabs.
As for the Links, I found that one huge difference that has generally been overlooked is the fact that airdodges have been nerffed in smash 4, which means that their spam game in general is insane now. Being able to have multiple projectiles out at the same time while the opponent isn't able to just airdodge through it or airdodge to avoid getting hit again once they get hit by the first projectile makes frame traps, kill setups and camping so much easier. And this is without mentioning the more obvious benefits of smash 4 like the hitstun and the ledge mechanics.
Other examples of characters that greatly benefit from simply being in smash 4 include Ness because of the ledge mechanics and the rage mechanic, but the point is, you need to look further than whether or not any particular character is better than a previous version of that character because in many cases the all important factors will come from the differences in the game in which those characters find themselves.

I'm not sure how well that was all worded, but there it is.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
:sadeyes:. But, your Fi........
She'll understand. She's a cold emotionless robot void of any compassion or sympathy. She only exists to help her master.

That Smiley...you just gave my dog epilepsy, hope you're happy kid.

@ Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive I agree with what you said. I think that a lot of people just can't still get over the fact that the game kinda looks like and feels like brawl, but forget that it's not Brawl. So they try to play it like Brawl and fail miserably. I think we're going to see great things and have a damn good surprise this Apex.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
:sadeyes:. But, your Fi........
You seem to forget that Fi is a cold, emotionless weapon Dangit, Elessar beat me to it...should've kept reading before I posted.

Also, after Shin's post I'm curious. Who all has tap jump turn off? I've been trying to leave it on recently so I have those OoS options but I'm starting to wonder if its worth it. I can never seem to pull off an Uair without accidentally using my second jump.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I have it on for Up B OoS with Bowser, but it's always been a tough choice for me. I had it off for a long time.

Top Bottom