• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Advanced Technique Guide

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
TP's main flaw for me was the severe lack of difficulty. I found the story to be amazing, but that's probably just a matter of differing opinion.

I think you mean that his dialogue was better. That doesn't necessarily account for character development.
No, that's not all I mean. Dialog does have a big impact on the character however (how else would they express themselves and show their personalities?).

-Whiplash-

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silva-Silva
3DS FC
4527-7465-9250
And like I said earlier, if you compare the two, you would find that Demise is a more developed character simply by what they say.
But that's not true. I was paraphrasing, but that's LITARALLY ALL DEMISE SAYS.

For Lulz Let's Compare What Ganondorf(TP) says vs. what Demise Says:

We'll Start with demise since he only says about 2 paragraphs throughout the entire game:

Video For Reference:

Before Fight (Paraphrase) "You're foolish to challenge me, you're going to die here, I hate the gods, I'm going to kill you, I wonder how long you last, when you die I'll rule the world and kill all your friends. Then I'll take the triforce and rule the WORLD!"

After Fight (Paraphrase) " You're the best fighter I've ever fought. My hate never dies I'll come back! and Incarnation of my hatred, you and Zelda to have our descendants/reincarnations to fight each other in an endless loop forever!"

I don't really have to say it but there's not much personality here, it's all pretty much generic evil villain stuff. In fact, looking at it now, even what little of his personality we see here is a Fusion of Ganondorf And Akuma, as the only things he seems to care about is ruling the word and having a good fight.

There's not much to say about his actions in this scene since he just stands then talking and pacing (Maybe he's pacing because he's eager to fight? IDK, maybe him looking like Akuma makes me see more akuma in him then there is)

Ganondorf Has a lot more screen time which I guess you could say is a lot of wasted potential since he's Pretty much the same as demise in TP:

Video for Reference. (Video zooms past the dialogue pretty quick but it was the best video I could find ATM)

Before Fight(Paraphrasing, again): "The Twili amused me in how they defied the gods only to fail. Though Pathetic they were useful ad helped my revival. I used their Hatred to revive Myself, though your (Midna's) People had some skill they were not very powerful, not like the people with the triforce. Someone with the Triforce would be a suitable king for this world (midna says she won't obey him) He says that's funny and tells here to try and stop him. He calls link and midna "faithless fools" (impling he considers himself a god) who would dare challenge him, feel my wrath"

Before the fourth and Final Phase of His fight (Paraphrasing, again): Starts laughing after falling of his horse. "Says the master sword looks impressive, but that's all it is, Says that he would like to Use his sword (The one that was stabbed through him by the (water sage?)) to "Blot out light forever"

After he's Beat: (Paraphrased): This doesn't end here! The history of light and shadow will be Written in Blood!"

Ganondorf in TP is pretty much Identical in personality to Demise, the only thing I'd Say demise has over him is Demises respect for link's battle prowess when he loses. HOWEVER, Ganondorf's Actions in TP Speak far louder then his words, His smugness during the Prefight shows how conceited he is, and how he thinks it's his right to rule Hyrule, however, much of this can be said about Demise. No, the biggest thing about Ganondorf In TP is how he uses the sword the Water sage Stabbed him with as his weapon. I think this was to show everyone, (But specifically the gods and Sages) How they were powerless to stop him.

However I guess by words alone Demise is Better, if only because he has the whole "warrior Respect" thing going for him.

Last edited:

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
I highly dissagree. There is no way in hell it could be compared the cdi games. The story is great. Better than OoT and TP in my honest opinion. The controls really aren't terrible, but just because a game is linear, it doesn't mean it's bad in any sense.

*Edit: Sorry for the double post
Oot and Tp to me had far better stories in comparison to Ss's manga esque love story that was so cheaply done that was thrown down my throat.

And yes I do agree with you just because a game is linear doesn't instantly make it a bad game, It's only when it's a Zelda game does it make it a bad game.

Zelda was always meant to be a exploration game just look at all the other Zelda games where you have a nice big open world to explore and find hidden items everywhere, you have to enter caves and grottos, even side-quests to do that at the least lead to bonus items or upgrades, Skywards Sword doesn't have extra side things like that, to me this game feels like it plays itself sometimes, so at least that's something zelda cdi did better then skyward.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Oot and Tp to me had far better stories in comparison to Ss's manga esque love story that was so cheaply done that was thrown down my throat.

And yes I do agree with you just because a game is linear doesn't instantly make it a bad game, It's only when it's a Zelda game does it make it a bad game.

Zelda was always meant to be a exploration game just look at all the other Zelda games where you have a nice big open world to explore and find hidden items everywhere, you have to enter caves and grottos, even side-quests to do that at the least lead to bonus items or upgrades, Skywards Sword doesn't have extra side things like that, to me this game feels like it plays itself sometimes, so at least that's something zelda cdi did better then skyward.
A lot of what you said doesn't really make sense. Imo, just because SS is a Zelda game that's linear, it still doesn't make it a bad game. Many other Zelda games, including TP, were linear. You can also upgrade your items and potions in a pretty neat system of collecting and trading in smaller things in return along with other things as well, such as fighting bosses again for rewards when you meet the dragon in lanayru dessert.

SS's story was great. I have no idea why anyone would speak ill of it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
ITT: people discuss why their opinions are right while being super off topic.

We doooo have a social thread >_>.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
True that. Let's get back on topic here. What do you guys think is Link's "bread and butter" combo in PM?
Boomerang into Boomerang

This is not a joke

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
True that. Let's get back on topic here. What do you guys think is Link's "bread and butter" combo in PM?
I like down throw into some up tilts with a variable finish. Plus boomerang fun, I love PM Link so much so many options!

I play Link a fair bit in Melee and PM and have heard of "bomb" jumping but I'm not sure exactly what it entails and how it works. Could someone describe it for me? I can't really watch videos so please just describe if you can.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I like down throw into some up tilts with a variable finish. Plus boomerang fun, I love PM Link so much so many options!

I play Link a fair bit in Melee and PM and have heard of "bomb" jumping but I'm not sure exactly what it entails and how it works. Could someone describe it for me? I can't really watch videos so please just describe if you can.
Bomb jumping is basically a recovery tactic that involves you throwing your bomb over you offstage, and up specialing into it in order to use your up special again.

In Project M, in order to perform it, you need to aerial glide toss, in which you throw your bomb almost immediately after air dodging, while in Melee it's a lot simpler.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
But has less payout in melee because you can just use the AGT as a third jump en lieu of blowing yourself up every time now. Sometimes. It's really useful to be able to bypass that.

Though our tether doesn't reach quite as far.

Seems legit. :p
Seemed like ****ing salt to me. <_<

/fixed

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
But has less payout in melee because you can just use the AGT as a third jump en lieu of blowing yourself up every time now. Sometimes. It's really useful to be able to bypass that.

Though our tether doesn't reach quite as far.

Seems like ****ing salt to me. <_<
I can assure you I was not being salty. Only slightly sarcastic.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I can assure you I was not being salty. Only slightly sarcastic.
I meant him ):

I did that in a roundabout fashion but I was trying to make my post go with yours lol. Sorry.

Boomerang salt irritates the **** out of me.

Edit: I personally really like reverse bair into.... Every follow up ever...

Last edited:

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
If someone could answer my question re: "what the Hylian Bomb is" from two pages back I'd be much obliged!
I know what it is but unfortunately I'm unable to explain how to do it. It's just a crazy little trick hylian does with a bomb to flash his tech skill. You can PM empty sky or Hylian and ask them how it's done. I think you need to AGT down/down throw, z catch then AGT up. It doesn't really have a practical usage other than being a stylish trick.

Last edited:

Third

Smash Rookie
If someone could answer my question re: "what the Hylian Bomb is" from two pages back I'd be much obliged!
The Hylian Bomb is where Link goes off the ledge and AGTs down with a bomb, then immediately, AGTs up, catching the bomb and throwing it up. Then you catch the ledge, and re-catch the bomb on its way down and AGT back on stage. The input is basically:
Air dodge down > C-stick down > Air dodge up > C-stick up > catch ledge > Air dodge to catch bomb > C-stick any direction.
You have to have quick fingers and be able to immediately air dodge up after throwing the bomb up, or you'll shoot past the bomb and fall to your death.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
To be honest I didn't even know what the Hylian bomb was so I couldn't answer it LOL but now that others have mentioned it Third explained it perfectly :p.

I do it to stall out my opponents invc after they die and to get onto the ledge behind a bomb which often gives me follow-ups because my opponent doesn't know what I'm doing. It's also just a mental thing that lets me know my tech skill is on point.

Edit:

Here is a video, though I don't throw it on the stage immediately in this clip like usual. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8gpsl3hdGA&t=9m5s

Last edited:

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
To be honest I didn't even know what the Hylian bomb was so I couldn't answer it LOL but now that others have mentioned it Third explained it perfectly :p.

I do it to stall out my opponents invc after they die and to get onto the ledge behind a bomb which often gives me follow-ups because my opponent doesn't know what I'm doing. It's also just a mental thing that lets me know my tech skill is on point.

Edit:

Here is a video, though I don't throw it on the stage immediately in this clip like usual. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8gpsl3hdGA&t=9m5s
Lol well in any case, it's pretty sweet to look at.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I just like to call it "double AGT", but with the ledge trick in there, the "Hylian Bomb" would do just fine.

I meant him ):

I did that in a roundabout fashion but I was trying to make my post go with yours lol. Sorry.

Boomerang salt irritates the **** out of me.

Edit: I personally really like reverse bair into.... Every follow up ever...
It's ok lol. My bad for my lack of comprehension there.

I can see why. Link's boomerang is good, but there are ways you can avoid and punish it.

DACUS is my favorite confirm after reverse back air. You guys should try it sometime. :p

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I just like to call it "double AGT", but with the ledge trick in there, the "Hylian Bomb" would do just fine.

It's ok lol. My bad for my lack of comprehension there.

I can see why. Link's boomerang is good, but there are ways you can avoid and punish it.

DACUS is my favorite confirm after reverse back air. You guys should try it sometime. :p
I seriously think people should just shut the hell up though. But I'm not going to try and debate balance politics.

I usually dash attack after reverse Bair.
I think I got Zair -- Reverse Bair -- Dash attack -- U air onto platform -- Waveland regrab -- Empty Combo before. Maybe.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Another combo I brought over from Brawl was down throw bomb into nair. You might be able to do other things instead of nair, but I haven't tried yet.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
If you want to be a complete badass, down throw bomb -- footstool -- fast fall Dair.

Congratulations, your opponent just quit forever.

Nearly impossible to legitimately set up now due to smaller explosion range though lol. And footstools are techable but w/e

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
If you want to be a complete badass, down throw bomb -- footstool -- fast fall Dair.

Congratulations, your opponent just quit forever.

Nearly impossible to legitimately set up now due to smaller explosion range though lol. And footstools are techable but w/e
Well then it would be pretty much unusable against people who are good enough lol.

I wonder if the PM team would ever give Link's dair a meteor, like in Smash 4. Don't attack me for this lol. Just imagine the awesome things you could do with it.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
It's bad.

I seriously was infuriated at the news for Link's Dair 4.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
It's terrible because that's our most reliable kill move. We're already ass offstage, it's not that fast, and missing it means death.

All it does is take away onstage kill options and I hate it. Trying to combo into Dair kills and accidentally getting the damn meteor will make me throw my controller through a wall so damn fast.

Not trying to be hostile btw but remembering that invokes much ire.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
It's terrible because that's our most reliable kill move. We're already *** offstage, it's not that fast, and missing it means death.

All it does is take away onstage kill options and I hate it. Trying to combo into Dair kills and accidentally getting the damn meteor will make me throw my controller through a wall so damn fast.

Not trying to be hostile btw but remembering that invokes much ire.
Link has plenty of reliable kill moves onstage, actually. His new dash attack being just one of them, and he has lots of mobility in the air and ground, which is great. Not sure what the fuss is. The fact that it's hard to land would be enough not to have to lessen his onstage prowess.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Bomb jumping is basically a recovery tactic that involves you throwing your bomb over you offstage, and up specialing into it in order to use your up special again.

In Project M, in order to perform it, you need to aerial glide toss, in which you throw your bomb almost immediately after air dodging, while in Melee it's a lot simpler.
Thank you ^^, now time to practice.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Golhazard post: 17019155 said:
Love seeing everyone helping each other out. This is why this community is so great :)
Its really welcoming, i've been off and on this forum quite a bit and its always refreshing to see how helpful people are.

Also since im going to try my hands at Apex (first big tournament i'll ever have gone to) what characters do i need to watch out for in particular as Link in Melee and PM? I recall in Melee Fox, Falco, Sheik and Falcon.

I do have a few back ups too

Last edited:

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
In Project M, spacies can still be rather threatening but link can also combo them from 0% to hell. The fox matchup isn't exactly good, but it's much easier to deal with him in this game as link. Shiek can still be a rather tough matchup, and link eats Marth now. The Captain Falcon matchup isn't bad now either.

Honestly, links toughest matchup is falco. Although link can combo him well, falco is still very notorious even in project m for his amazing combo game and his ability to ridiculously reduce your shield and other methods of defense to ashes. His short hop laser is still great for pressure, Nairs and Dairs into shines are still terrifying for shield pressuring, and his off stage game is still as good as it was in melee. It's possible for Link to win this matchup, but becomes much harder if the falco player is even remotely good.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Alright so Falco then, what are some possible Falco counters in PM other then being a careful Link?

I can use quite a number of other people in project M. Notably all the fe guys, Zelda, Mario, Peach and some others

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
Alright so Falco then, what are some possible Falco counters in PM other then being a careful Link?

I can use quite a number of other people in project M. Notably all the fe guys, Zelda, Mario, Peach and some others
Mario is probably your best bet. His speed and attack power have been juiced from melee, his approach game is MUCH safer being able to short hop fireball rush with no landing lag , his forward air has two killing angles (both the Mario spike and the doc kill angle) and his edgeguard game is still quite potent with the cape. He can chain throw falco extremely well (start with up throws, then into down throws) ...overall Mario is just that much more menacing, plus he's particularly easy to use, too.

EDIT: I'm a spacies main on melee, and still use them frequently in PM. If you can, I'd recommend picking up falco as a secondary, but it takes quite a bit of skill and dedication to get good with him.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I personally think Sheik is a living hell. Falco seems more doable than her because you can catch him and gimp/combo the hell out of him.
Anyone here ever play Umbreon's Sheik?

**** gives me nightmares.
That could seriously just be player skill gap but like.. It seems effing 0-100 sometimes. (No I don't think it's literally 0-100 I'm being hyperbolic #disclaimer)

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
I personally think Sheik is a living hell. Falco seems more doable than her because you can catch him and gimp/combo the hell out of him.
Anyone here ever play Umbreon's Sheik?

**** gives me nightmares.
That could seriously just be player skill gap but like.. It seems effing 0-100 sometimes. (No I don't think it's literally 0-100 I'm being hyperbolic #disclaimer)
Yeah the shiek matchup isn't particularly easy, but walling her out with projectiles seems effective. She can't really chain throw us anymore with her new modified angle (at least it's not as easy anymore) plus our added range and newfound combo abilities and follow ups make it that much harder for a shiek to destroy us. The player in question is probably just a very skilled Shiek player (she transferred extremely well from Melee) so it's likely just a player skill related matchup more than character matchup.

Top Bottom