• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk Dair setups.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
So I'm learning new ways to spike enemies. One thing that's apparent is Cloud is not Captain Falcon. Going offstage with Dairs is a horrible risk that can be very costly. Despite the Frame 11 advantage, if your jumps and Up B timing are not precise, it can end up an SD every time.

I'm experimenting with methods in lab and came up with four methods we can use to our advantage.

1) The walk-off. When you Dair, DO IT IMMEDIATELY. If you spend more than a split-second popping C-Stick downwards, it's an instant death. You will not recover unless you have Limit. Also, it's worth noting C-Stick should be set to Attack and not Smash. If you set it to Smash, you run the risk of Cloud simply fastfalling to his death without the chance of recovery.

This is mainly used as the signature option for players who have lost their jump and trying to safely make their way to the ledge, either via a 45 degree angle downwards or attempting to recover low.

2) The jump. Spend a split second falling off and then back jump immediately into Dair. This is an attempt to fake-out the opponent into thinking you're going for the walk-off, or expecting you to use any edgeguarding method for that matter. If they're recovering a little higher than the ledge or at a position different from the walk-off, this works nicely. You can also jump forward if they're going horizontal. However, it goes without saying you must Climhazzard and recover the very moment your Dair animation ends.

This is a standard general methods, but different from jumping offstage into Dair to catch high recoveries, as well as

3) The ledge. You have access to a myriad of edgeguards if you hang on the ledge. One is to fall off and airhop Bair them. Another is to hang at the ledge and bait low recoveries. Fall off, airhop, and pop Dair immediately. Make sure you fall far enough that your jump doesn't put your Dair above the ledge. If you can catch the 2 Frame, they're either dead, sent away, or stage spiked into the ledge.

This is a very risky method against characters, like Samus, whose Screw Attack has multiple hitboxes. If it trades or beats you out, you may face an awkward situation where you try to airdodge or SDI out of Screw Attack and SD.

4) The stage. Cloud's Dair is big enough to catch the 2-frame against characters who recover low, like Little Mac. In fact, this is a key method to ending stocks on Little Mac. This could be used on other characters, but a list would be an ideal work in progress.

Using this is potentially risky because, as you're using the sweetspot of Dair, you have no autocancel. Anyone can ledge attack you, or if they're using the right character, punish you very hard.

Ending stocks with Dair is a crucial part of some players' playstyles. You give the opponent no chance to download, read, or beat your neutral.

For characters who you do not want to risk the Dair spike on, there is a slightly safer option - walk-off B-reversed Limit Blade Beam. However, this requires Limit. This is also read by players who can recover very low, like Marth. Plus, this is also highly punishable by characters, like Captain Falcon, who can simply switch to a horizontal approach and Raptor Boost you for a free stage spike.

Any other methods for Dair spike setups are welcome here.

Rikuthe1st

Smash Rookie
NNID
rikuthe1st@gmail
This is not dair spike set up and i'm not sure if this a true combo, but this is a kill confirm, d-air to LCS. found while labbing, tested on cpu's, then human players. note: the combo gauge indicates a true combo but again I'm not sure.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
This is not dair spike set up and i'm not sure if this a true combo, but this is a kill confirm, d-air to LCS. found while labbing, tested on cpu's, then human players. note: the combo gauge indicates a true combo but again I'm not sure.
If they can airdodge or DI out of it, then it definitely won't work. But since Dair can go into Finishing Touch, Cross Slash, being much faster, is likely.

Thor

Smash Champion
AC Dair -> Limit Cross Slash is I find much more reliable than Finishing Touch [easier to combo] and does over 30%, so it's pretty useful. It's a kill option at the ledge but I'm not sure how much earlier it will KO most of the time.

One option when someone's at very high percents is AC dair -> Limit Climhazzard. Climhazzard can kill off the top decently [OoS I usually net KOs around maybe 120% or so], so this option lets you secure a stock even when they go too high for AC dair -> uair. I don't see it happen really ever though, either because people don't end up in the situation where it's useful [they're at over 100% and you get the AC dair with limit break] or because people just never thought to use this [I doubt that though]. With uair nerfs though, dair -> uair has a smaller KO confirm window, so maybe this option will start to see more use?

For dairing people offstage, one other method I use is to FH out there and either nair or wait for an airdodge and double jump dair/fair [or nair after the airdodge anyway]. It's not exactly fancy, but it will net spikes when they airdodge and some edgeguards when you immediate nair. You can also RAR FH and set up for backwards nair, bair, and dair instead of nair/fair/dair being options [with bair being a stronger horizontal move and dair doing its job either direction, this may be preferable, but I think I like the wide, pretty fast coverage of nair].

Rikuthe1st

Smash Rookie
NNID
rikuthe1st@gmail
I've gotten Dair to LCS to kill as early as 60% and as late as 130% depending on rage and character weight so I find this option more useful than FT.

IcyWind

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tenshiiicywind
I've been labbing with runoff>ff*>short hop dair>land on stage. Definitely looks like it could work on 45 degree and straight up recoveries, and can go pretty low. The shorthop gives you just enough time to up b and magnet.

danyal999

Smash Cadet
Also there's one option Mew2king used on Zero to spike him at 30 at goml. Be at the ledge, and get a grab with your back facing the ledge, then downthrow and walk off the ledge, wait for an airdodge then jump dair to spike

Last edited:
Top Bottom