• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's stop using the term "Spike", now, shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
In SSB64, there was no Meteor Canceling. But there were still Meteor Smashes. For Melee, Meteor Canceling was added. Certain Meteor Smashes could be Meteor Canceled.

But the community didn't want to have to say "Non-cancellable Meteor Smash" when referring to Meteor Smashes that could not be canceled so the term "Spike" was invented. This term was entirely made up by the community and has no basis in the game itself, but that's not the point here. Soon, people equated all Meteor Smashes to Spikes and the term "Spike" started being used even for the MS:es that could be MSC:ed.

The point is that in Brawl all Meteor Smashes can be Meteor Canceled. The term "Spike" has now become obsolete. There are no Spikes in Brawl. Only Meteor Smashes. There's absolutely no reason to cling onto a term for something that's not even in the game anymore to describe a type of attack which has an actual name.

So I petition the community to please stop using the term Spike, as there are people who will mistakingly think that because the term "Spike" is used, it means it cannot be MSC:ed.

Luigi player

Smash Master
"There are no Spikes in Brawl."

I think you should bold the "no" too, or "are no", not only "are".

Silfa

Smash Ace
I played and still play SSB64 and I never call them meteor smashes in that. It's not like when someone uses 'spike' the other person will get the wrong idea like some things. If you say to someone who's just began playing the game something along the lines of "did you see that spike?!", they'll know what you mean.

Good luck changing the use of such a widely used term. Especially since it's a term that has nothing wrong with it.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I agree with you on this one.
But I think its unlikely they'll change the name because everyone already uses it anyway.
But if theres a petition, consider this a signature.
(yeah dumb i know)

Cookiez

Smash Ace
Agreed. It irritated me in Melee, and now due to its utter pointlessness, irritates me even more in Brawl. ¬_¬

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Imagine there is a duck and a cow on this Earth, and one human to name them. That human calls the duck "Duck" and the cow "Cow". Now, if Duck ***** and murders Cow, will the human call the duck Duck on occasion and Cow on another occasion? No. The human will call the duck Duck. Therefore, we should get rid of the term "Spike" in Brawl.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
What about uses of the term 'Spike' as a suffix, like 'Wall/Ceiling-Spike'?
I'd prefer to call it that, than a Ceiling Meteor Smash.
EDIT: 'Ceiling Meteor' doesn't sound too bad, but you can't cancel it can you?

EDIT2:

Also are you sure there are no 'Spikes' in Brawl? Off the bat I can think of two that Diddy possesses. The Up + B barrel spike and the Across B mid air grab to spike.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
What about uses of the term 'Spike' as a suffix, like 'Wall/Ceiling-Spike'?
I'd prefer to call it that, than a Ceiling Meteor Smash.
EDIT: 'Ceiling Meteor' doesn't sound too bad, but you can't cancel it can you?
Wall- and Ceiling-Spikes (and Semi-Spikes) remain the same as in Melee. They cannot be cancelled (wall- and ceiling spikes can be teched, though, but if you miss the tech, you cannot cancel the spike 'til it's run its cours, unlike a Meteor Cancel which can be done at any time in Melee or past a certain threshold in Brawl).

These terms should remain the same. The term "Spike" should, however be done away with.

Also are you sure there are no 'Spikes' in Brawl? Off the bat I can think of two that Diddy possesses. The Up + B barrel spike and the Across B mid air grab to spike.
I could quite possibly be wrong on this. But at least the vast majority of Meteor Smashes no longer Spike. Which is why it's stupid to call them Spikes instead of Meteors.

So if not getting rid of Spikes entirely because there still are a few of them (please list them for me), we should at least predominately use "Meteor Smash" because to continue using the term "Spike" as an umbrella term is like calling a group of people "Asians" because 4 out of 12 of them are Asian while the rest are visibly not.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Imagine there is a duck and a cow on this Earth, and one human to name them. That human calls the duck "Duck" and the cow "Cow". Now, if Duck ***** and murders Cow, will the human call the duck Duck on occasion and Cow on another occasion? No. The human will call the duck Duck. Therefore, we should get rid of the term "Spike" in Brawl.
An example does not constitute as proof. Otherwise we would all believe in God because in some examples something cant be created by something less complex. "Therefore a higher being must exist" is not a logical argument from that.

Although Spike meant something different before, it is now used to describe any downwards hitting move. Language changes and this is one case. Get over it, the new term is here to stay and rightly so.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Although Spike meant something different before, it is now used to describe any downwards hitting move. Language changes and this is one case. Get over it, the new term is here to stay and rightly so.
Even though the game creator himself gave us an actual term for it? It's not like with Teching where the term "Ukemi" was only released 10+ years after it was first introduced (as teching existed in SSB64). This term was introduced at least for Melee (I can't speak for SSB64, my knowledge on SSB64 is limited) and the community even uses it.

Why use the term "Spike" to refer to Meteor Smashes when the term "Meteor Smash" is much more valid? I mean, do you want to have to go "No, it's actually a Meteor Cancelable Spike" to clarify yourself at times instead of simply saying Meteor Smash and then Spike for the few real Spikes left in the game?

And why is the term "rightly so"? What makes it so good and justified, really?

Silfa

Smash Ace
Better idea. Seeing as the Dojo said that teching is actually called 'Ukemi' should we do away with the term 'tech'?

I mean isn't that its actual name?

Edit: Lol. Took too long to post.

Puffs

Smash Ace
Stop calling them ftilts, utilts, and dtilts people, they're freakin Strong Attacks! And quit using complicated acronyms when talking about assist trophies, final smashes, and certain characters. I can barely understand what you're saying!

Oh, and tires don exit.

PCHU

Smash Lord
It does suck that all of these things are able to be canceled.
What about Samus's dair?
I hope that's able, because I just got pwned by one today.
Also, why did he do THIS?
It does kind of rock, but it gets boring having to legehog for every meteor that didn't kill.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Even though the game creator himself gave us an actual term for it? It's not like with Teching where the term "Ukemi" was only released 10+ years after it was first introduced (as teching existed in SSB64). This term was introduced at least for Melee (I can't speak for SSB64, my knowledge on SSB64 is limited) and the community even uses it.

Why use the term "Spike" to refer to Meteor Smashes when the term "Meteor Smash" is much more valid? I mean, do you want to have to go "No, it's actually a Meteor Cancelable Spike" to clarify yourself at times instead of simply saying Meteor Smash and then Spike for the few real Spikes left in the game?

And why is the term "rightly so"? What makes it so good and justified, really?
We call standard airs nairs. strong attacks as tilts. Just because it had a different name originally doesnt mean it has to stay that way. Our own ways just makes things more convenient and easy.

Im not saying get rid of Meteor Smash. Its perfectly valid. But a lot of people use spike for them. How can you say that what theyre saying is wrong, they should use the term in your way and stop using theirs?

The use of MS and spikes means that anyone refering to them has to use both if youre being pinickity. Alot of the time it doesn't make a difference anyway.

Im saying that the fact that its staying is rightly so, not necessarily the word spike itself. (I myself use Meteors and spikes separately)

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
Waaaaay too nit-picky, and that's coming from me, who can be incredibly nit-picky sometimes (just ask the people who use the term "aerial rising"). I can appreciate your point, and it's a good history lesson on the terms differentiating between spikes and meteor-smashes, but it's a term that has evolved to mean anything with a sharp downward trajectory. Now that there is only one type of meteor-smash in Brawl, spike can be used as an all-encompassing term that is easier to say than "meteor-smash" since there is now none of the confusion between the terms that there was in Melee.

I understand perfectly what you're trying to say here, and you are technically correct, but you can't expect to reverse the evolution of the term "spike" and expect everyone here to play along. It just doesn't differentiate between cancellable and non-cancellable anymore, sad but true.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Better idea. Seeing as the Dojo said that teching is actually called 'Ukemi' should we do away with the term 'tech'?

I mean isn't that its actual name?

Edit: Lol. Took too long to post.
Yes, but tech and ukemi are the same thing; we just prefer calling it "tech." However, spikes and meteor smashes are NOT the same thing. Therefore, we can't call it either.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
spike is just shorter and easily recognisable.

even ppl that dont play games could proly infer what the term spike means since its also used a in football and volleyball

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
im much more for a reeducation and realisation of the meaning of the term "broken"

dont you agree that that is a much more pressing matter?

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but tech and ukemi are the same thing; we just prefer calling it "tech." However, spikes and meteor smashes are NOT the same thing. Therefore, we can't call it either.
You cant expect people to use your terms. Some people describe it in different ways. And that difference doesnt matter.

The only people that this can affect are melee players (and possibly brawl) that are starting serious play. There could be some confusion but any good guide that refers to everything as spikes would explain how some can be cancelled. It doesnt affect tourney players, they should know the differences. And Casuals couldnt care less. Thousands of people arent going to change how they refer to something just because some people are too picky.

I'm sorry, this is just hilarious when taken out of context. Could I sig this please?

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
I know that all of them are cancellable this time around, but there are still many different strength meteor smashes that some seem un-recoverable from, like ganondorf's dair, which is very hard to cancel, is almost like a spike, and DK's are pretty easy to cancel. Therefore, some other term should be given, to measure the severity of the meteor smash.

toktomo

Smash Cadet
OMGGG NO MORE SPIKKEEEE

ehh...spike can still be a term, ssbb players just use that term online so we don't have to type meteor Smash because some people are just too lazy....like me...

I lied

it's true though -___-

Ørion

Smash Ace
We could also agree to call meteor smashing spiking instead because it is more widely used. So spiking could be the knew official name. The problem is if you get confused if the person is talking about brawl or melee.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
In SSB64, there was no Meteor Canceling. But there were still Meteor Smashes. For Melee, Meteor Canceling was added. Certain Meteor Smashes could be Meteor Canceled.

But the community didn't want to have to say "Non-cancellable Meteor Smash" when referring to Meteor Smashes that could not be canceled so the term "Spike" was invented. This term was entirely made up by the community and has no basis in the game itself, but that's not the point here. Soon, people equated all Meteor Smashes to Spikes and the term "Spike" started being used even for the MS:es that could be MSC:ed.

The point is that in Brawl all Meteor Smashes can be Meteor Canceled. The term "Spike" has now become obsolete. There are no Spikes in Brawl. Only Meteor Smashes. There's absolutely no reason to cling onto a term for something that's not even in the game anymore to describe a type of attack which has an actual name.

So I petition the community to please stop using the term Spike, as there are people who will mistakingly think that because the term "Spike" is used, it means it cannot be MSC:ed.

To no offense but, not only are you totally wrong about there being no Spikes but, your idea is plainly stupid.

First off I will name some spikes.

Diddy kong:UpB
Marth:Dair
DK:Fair, Dair
Wolf: Dair, SideB
MK:UpB
Captain F.:Dair
Olimar: Dair
Ike: Dair,Dtilt
Zelda: Dair
ZZS:SideB
Samus:Dair
Falco:Dair, SideB
Kirby:Dair
DeDeDe:UpB
R.O.B:Dair
Ness:Dair
Lucus:Bair
Snake:Fair
PT:Charzard:Dair
:Ivysaur:Dair

There probably are more but you get the point, most of these will work at around 20%.
With a 100% chance of K.O.ing someone.

Of course, sweetspotting and whatnot.

And even in Melee, below 20% most spikes could be recovered from.
So, this here refute your claim of no spikes, and I refute your potition.

Barrbarian

Smash Rookie
I'd say the term 'spike' is popular (regardless of technical accuracy) because it is shorter and arguably more parsimonious than using the term 'meteor smash' (two whole words). Same reason 'shine' is a popular replacement for 'reflector'... how about we keep saying spike and call meteor cancelling 'spike cancelling' amirite?

Umpadumpalump

Smash Apprentice
I originally called meteor smashes "spikes" until I found out that the true "technical" term for it was meteor smash and even then I considered them the same thing. Since it means something different to me I don't feel obligated to stop saying it.

AzureFlameKite

Smash Cadet
I'm sure people use the term "spike" because there too lazy to say "meteor smash", plus i don't wanna be the nerdy guy and correct people when ever they use the term "spike".

acv

Smash Journeyman
spikes and meteor smashes are different things.therefore they should be named different.

do a barrel roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom