• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's rate Smash 4's DLC

nerdbot

Smash Rookie
The DLC is pricey relative to the rest of the game but I don't really mind it considering the circumstances. How many games get this kind of support this far out from launch?

I have no real complaints about the DLC. Corrin kinda sucks as a character choice, and of course I wish we could have had more, but I never imagined when they dropped Smash 4 on us we'd see the kind of additions and improvements made to the game as far out as February 2016. It's nuts to me that this has still been going.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I'm not reading the wall of text btw as I already stated I'm not replying to anymore stuff regarding my rating, hence making it irrelevant.
Whatever, it's your choice. It's your ignorance, not mine. A TL;DR version of that is that Roy and Marth are really different from each other, Lucina demands a unique playstyle and you can't really apply Marth tactics to her, thus making her play really differently, and that comparing Marth and Ike is like comparing Mario and Bowser.

And yes, I was right, you really didn't read my entire post.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
I liked all the stages and characters added in with DLC (Iffy on Corrin and Bayonetta, but eh), but I think we had too many third party characters considering that we got only one Nintendo Newcomer.

I'd give this DLC 7.8/10 Too much third party.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Let's see here...

:4mewtwo:gets a 7/10: I was pretty fond of him in Melee, even thought I didn't use him at all. I don't follow Pokemon, but I liked the idea of the design and he was a pretty fun character to try out.
:4lucas:gets a 6/10: I don't really follow the Mother series, so he felt indifferent to me. But he's my little brother's favorite so I'm glad he's in.
:4feroy: gets a 9/10: I really like the way they redesigned Roy for this game. The way I see it, he's a BIG upgrade to his Melee counterpart, and I still like the fire sword he had. That's what made him cool back then.
:4ryu: gets a 8/10: I was fond of Ryu. He was a martial artist, which I liked since I used to do Taekwondo, so I had an affinity with him. I've also been wanting to get into Street Fighter too, so there's that.
:4cloud:gets a 5/10: Aside from FF6 and FF9, I don't really care about the Final Fantasy series. So don't get me wrong. He has a fun move-set, but I just don't care about Cloud.
:4corrin: gets a 8/10: Originally going to get a 5/10 for too many FE reps, but this character looked way to good. One point for having a fun move-set, and two for that GODLY remix of Lost in Thoughts All Alone.
:4bayonetta:gets a 6/10: I don't follow her series, so I know little of her. To my knowledge, her smash attacks and final smash was pretty damn scary, I'll tell you that much. I have to admit, the idea of her being in SSB4 added some variety since she seems like a darker and edgier character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I agree the DLC is a bit overpriced.

But I do like all the characters as well. They're fun to play as, and all really neat choices. Roy plays quite differently from Marth now, and they didn't play all that similar from each other in Melee either(it was the animations that were the same). Only Lucina feels about the same, being a straight clone, but the rest of FE is unique.

One issue is that FE really has little choices for anything but music/stages, playable characters, and trophies. Pokemon has multiple items, more course design choices, and everything else FE has. Same with Mario. That's why the only real way to show off a decent amount of FE is through playable characters and stages at best. They're the most logical to have a bigger roster, as long as they attempt to make all the normal characters play uniquely. Special ones like last minute additions and DLC is different.

My only real issue is the lack of 3rd party costumes from the DLC series. Same with no Assist Trophy DLC in general. I'm however still quite happy with the DLC. Is it ideal? No. It is well-rounded and has some great choices? Yeah, I'd say so.

As for characters specifically;

Mewtwo: I agree he could be more revamped. Still very fun to play as, though. Was improved for sure.
Lucas: Pretty nice. About the same is Brawl.
Roy: Excellent revamp. Feels really great.
Ryu: Freaking awesome. A very fun unique style. I love the input command options.
Cloud: Sweet gimmick. Pretty fun to play as, although a little hard to work with for me.
Bayonetta: Really great moveset and design. She feels easy for me to work with, and how she floats in the air makes her really interesting.
Corrin: Will edit later after I play as him.

Stages: Pretty good, would've liked a Pokemon DLC stage, though, but otherwise, no issues.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm gonna makes this short and sweet.

Characters
:4mewtwo:
5/10 - I don't really care for him because I'm not a Pokemon person anymore.
:4lucas: 8/10 - I didn't really cared for him in Brawl but after reading his profile bio, my opinion on him changed.
:4feroy: 8.5/10 - I loved the way he feels when I first tried him. He was one of my mains for a time before I ultimately dropped him for not using him as much so instead I only use him just for the hell of it.
:4ryu: 9/10 - I absolutely love him being in Smash with a pretty unique playstyle. I like how you would have to do a certain command input to do his specials (not counting his Focus Attack), which I was able to get the hang of it. I would've given him a 9.5 if he wasn't leaked prior to his reveal.
:4cloud: 9.5/10 - Never thought I'd see the day that a Final Fantasy character would make it into Smash until he was revealed. While I have never played Final Fantasy VII, I absolutely love his Limit Breaker mechanic. Now that I have played as him and added him as one of my mains, I'm now tempted to play his game now.
:4corrin:/:4corrinf: 9.7/10 - I, for one, welcome another Fire Emblem character with open arms, unlike the rest of the Smash community at the time of his reveal. I really don't care what the haters say, I like the fact that he's another unique Fire Emblem that isn't another full fledged sword fighter like the rest of the cast (with the exception of Robin) and a fun character to play as, which I've now added him as one of my mains. The reason I gave him/her .2 extra points was because of the original Lost in Thoughts All Alone music track that came with. It's such a beautiful, soothing melody and I love it better than the remix of it. All of this has increased my excitement for Fire Emblem Fates, which I have it preordered.
:4bayonetta: 9/10 - Not really much to say about her other than me liking her inclusion, even though there were others that were questioning the legitimacy of the Smash ballot. While I have no intention on maining her, I did enjoyed her playstyle even though she's pretty hard to get used to. One of the major downsides, though, is her pain in the ass screaming when she gets launched. Overall, I do like her and her games, which I really need to finish those.

Stages

Dream Land 64 (8.5/10) - Nothing much to say about this one. I'm not really fond of the extra music pieces they added for it.
Suzaku Castle (9/10) - I really like the overall design of the stage and the tracks included in it, except for the Ken Stage tracks and the two remixes.
Miiverse (4/10) - While I like the design of the stage similar to Battlefield, it's the posts that appears on the background that rubs me the wrong way. Most of them I see are mostly full of ****.
Peach's Castle 64 (9/10) - Not much to say about this either. Plus it's one of my favorite stages from Smash 64.
Hyrule Castle 64 (9/10) - Same reason as Peach's Castle
Super Mario Maker (8.5/10) - While I like how the stage changes and everything, I haven't really put in much time into it.
Pirate Ship (9.2/10) - I really enjoyed playing this stage in Brawl and I certainly enjoy playing it in Sm4sh. The downside of it is whatever happened to the original The Great Sea music track?
Midgar (9/10) - I absolutely love this stage a lot. The design of the stage and the background of the city looks fantastic. Even the stage hazards makes it even more enjoyable to play on. Unfortunately, the lack of more music pieces for it held me back from giving it a better score.
Umbra Clock Tower (8.5/10) - Not really as thrilling as I though it would be but I still like it overall.

Mii fighter outfits

I'm just gonna make a short summary of those. It doesn't really add anything new to the game itself but I will say the ones that does stand out for me though are the outfits based on different sword characters and the Mega Man ones. Other than those, there's absolutely nothing special about the outfits.

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
:4mewtwo: 7/10 - The best of the first three DLC characters..Is one of the most demanded and hyped ones out there and has a solid moveset and Mewtwo in general is just a character that most nintendo fans care about and although he isnt that viable competitive wise.Smash 4 withouth Mewtwo just isnt the same
:4lucas:5/10 - Weakest of the first three DLC characters..I dont care about earthbound that much and his moveset is not that unique for me to pick him up..He still belongs in Super Smash Brothers either way and shouldnt have been cut in the first place
:4feroy:6/10 - Pretty much the same case as lucas but I actually enjoy playing as Roy so he gets a 1+ point for me

:4ryu: 7 - Not one I care about since I never play Street fighter but he is the best competitive viable character in the DLC roster and has a very interesting moveset (although its not for me) Also great stage music

2nd batch of DLC characters

:4cloud:9/10 - The best DLC character in Super Smash Brothers..A character nobody expected but everyone wanted to be in...Has great viability for the competitive scene,Is easy to pick up,Has kickass music for his stage and just having him in the game withouth his already good perks would be a solid 7/10
:4corrin:/:4corrinf: 8/10 - The least hype and least known character out of all of them but Corrins unique moveset,Amazing stage remixes that reminds me why I need to pick up FE fates and competitive viability MAKES up for Corrins lackluster hype and people not caring about him being in Smash...Also my new main
:4bayonetta: 7.5/10 - A great addition to the game but not one I really got that hyped about..Her moveset is rather lackluster and boring to me (Not my style) Has an amazing stage and great stage music..I am glad she won though instead of say Shovel Knight..I feel a Nintendo character like her shouldnt be put down for Indie or Anime characters

Hard to judge since I only have Corrin/Roy but I can judge based on my experiences playing against said DLC characters and watching people play as these DLC characters.

I do plan on getting Cloud and Bayonetta since Cloud is so good and Bayonetta is a character that seems interesting to me but probaly wont get far with since she isnt my preffered style of fighting (same for Ruy)

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I'll do my best to explain my reasoning for everything:

Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy were added mainly for nostalgia but they fit well so I'm happy with them. In particular, I never really played Lucas in Brawl but I tried him out and ended up really liking him - of course, there are very few characters I don't like but Lucas felt really good to me. I especially like his and Mewtwo's costumes for some reason. The sprite references of the Masked Man and the dog were cute, and I really like Rose, Mint, 90s (Dark Blue), and Shadow Mewtwo.

Ryu is probably my favorite out of all the DLC characters. How do you take the quintessential "vanilla" fighting game character and turn him into one of the most unique and inventive characters in Smash Bros. By adding into the kit all the things that make fighting games great! I absolutely love doing the quarter circle inputs for hadoken and tatsumaki seppunyaku. I'm still working on shokonetsu and more consistent true shoryukens but I'm getting there. Between the fighting game inputs and the light, medium and hard attacks, it really makes him stand out in the cast. Also, the orange gi is about as close as we're gonna get to Goku in smash besides Mii fighters. (I wish we had gotten a Ken alt though)

One of my biggest regrets with this iteration of Smash was letting myself be spoiled with Roy and Ryu before they were officially announced. It took the excitement away from when they came with Lucas. I'm glad I was able to have that excitement with Cloud. Like Ryu, I like almost everything about the character. I didn't grow up with Final Fantasy 7 or the sequels so the voice acting doesn't affect me that much - I'll just enjoy the gratuitous Japanese (and the Kanji for the Side-B is cool too). I also really like the meter that appears over the top of Cloud's head when he charges the Limit Break. I especially like charging the limit break in one of the Smash 64 stages because I grew up with the N64/PS1 rivalry, and now they seem to be living in harmony :) My main beef with Cloud is with the costume choices, particularly the Advent Children ones. They're so dark I could easily see how people could get confused. I do, however, like to pretend that orange gi Ryu and Advent Children Cloud are Goku and Ichigo from SSF2.

As you can tell from my sidebar, Corrin's grown to become one of my new mains. At first, I was disappointed by another Fire Emblem character but seeing Corrin's moveset really got me excited. It feels unique both for a Fire Emblem character and a Smash Bros. character but it fits in well. I didn't grow up reading a lot of fantasy so the "half-dragon" concept is still new to me, but I really like how it's implemented. The hitbox on the fsmash charge was a nice surprise too. It showed me that the devs still looking for new things to try.

Bayonetta's where the majority of the fandom and I officially part ways. I don't like that she's in the game. It doesn't even have to do with the fact that she wears skin-tight clothes - I don't even mind that with Zero Suit Samus. It's not the fact that she uses guns either. It's the demon/witch/angel-hunter context in which she's framed. I understand that it's fantasy, like the magic users Zelda and Robin, but the wicked weave moves in particular (Madame Butterfly and Gomorrah) just make me uncomfortable. I went to the Bayonetta wiki specifically because I wanted to see if I could justify buying her and that only made things worse - based on her in game quotes (which are obviously cleaned up in Smash), she just seems completely inappropriate for this game. (I don't know why I don't feel the same for Snake except that he crossed over with Ape Escape before this). Not to mention that the blue and red trails make her stick out like a sore thumb from the rest of the cast. I think it's a neat playstyle - the combos and holding the button after attacks to fire fox-like bullets are sweet - but I just can't bring myself to go there. I'm content with my perfect rectangle on the character select screen.

I wonder if Sakurai would ever consider putting another character in that is basically a palette swap of Bayonetta without the dark stuff. This game is rated E10+ after all (though based on the final direct I think Bayonetta herself brings the game up to a T rating - did anyone else see that? Is DLC even rated) I could see it working on Gym Leader Elesa and Madame Butterfly could be replaced with giant electric pillars. Or maybe Daisy in her Biker outfit as a parody?

All the stages that aren't connected to characters are awesome. I'm a sucker for N64 nostalgia and Hyrule Castle was the go-to stage during college dorm Smash parties. Super Mario Maker is a great concept and I love the big musical selection. Pirate Ship is a solid stage too - I really enjoyed it in Brawl. I don't like that Suzaku Castle is a walk-off on one side (though Omega is one of my favorites), and the summons in Midgar break the stage for me. Not sure about Umbra Clock Tower because I didn't buy Bayonetta but it looks pretty balanced and the omega looks sweet too.

Mii costumes are a fun addition and I'm glad to have playable versions of Takamaru, Toad, and Proto Man. I was kinda hoping for character costumes as well though. This is another way we could have gotten Daisy as a palette swap of Princess Peach and I'm sure there are other examples. It's awkward that Little Mac is the only character with more than 8 costumes.

So that's my essay on Smash DLC. Overall I was very satisfied.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Bayonetta's where the majority of the fandom and I officially part ways. I don't like that she's in the game. It doesn't even have to do with the fact that she wears skin-tight clothes - I don't even mind that with Zero Suit Samus. It's not the fact that she uses guns either. It's the demon/witch/angel-hunter context in which she's framed. I understand that it's fantasy, like the magic users Zelda and Robin, but the wicked weave moves in particular (Madame Butterfly and Gomorrah) just make me uncomfortable. I went to the Bayonetta wiki specifically because I wanted to see if I could justify buying her and that only made things worse - based on her in game quotes (which are obviously cleaned up in Smash), she just seems completely inappropriate for this game. (I don't know why I don't feel the same for Snake except that he crossed over with Ape Escape before this). Not to mention that the blue and red trails make her stick out like a sore thumb from the rest of the cast. I think it's a neat playstyle - the combos and holding the button after attacks to fire fox-like bullets are sweet - but I just can't bring myself to go there. I'm content with my perfect rectangle on the character select screen.

I wonder if Sakurai would ever consider putting another character in that is basically a palette swap of Bayonetta without the dark stuff. This game is rated E10+ after all (though based on the final direct I think Bayonetta herself brings the game up to a T rating - did anyone else see that? Is DLC even rated) I could see it working on Gym Leader Elesa and Madame Butterfly could be replaced with giant electric pillars. Or maybe Daisy in her Biker outfit as a parody?
Why would demon/witch/angel-hunter who uses dark magic be inappropriate for Smash and an E10+ rating?

DLC only needs to be rated if the content exceeds the core product. And considering Smash 4 and Bayonetta are both rated E10+, she doesn't raise the rating to T.

D

Deleted member

:4mewtwo:8/10 It comes from the fact that it's Mewtwo and I am glad that he's back after getting cut. Despite that, I think that his moveset is a bit iffy, but at least he got some great buffs.
:4lucas:6/10 I haven't played Mother 3, so I don't have a connection to Lucas. I do have friends who love him, however.
:4feroy:5/10 He can be fun to play as, but I am not a massive Roy fan in general. If he got cut in the next game, I wouldn't really care.
:4ryu:9/10 My main concern with Ryu was that he would be generic and uninteresting... I was wrong. They took what many considered to be a generic fighting game character and turned him into one of the most fun characters in Smash 4. I love his amazing combos and his command inputs. He can be difficult to play as, but he is still fun in a casual setting. While not my top Capcom choice, that honor goes to Phoenix Wright, I can't complain because Ryu is too fun and he is a legendary character.
:4cloud:10/10 How do you top someone unexpected like Ryu? Put in another legendary character like Cloud Strife. Out of all the DLC characters, he is by far the most fun to play as and he just feels natural to me. When I played as him against CPUs and on FG, I knew that I wanted to main this character. Limit Break is also a very interesting gimmick, having you buff Cloud and keep the buffs or use a more powerful move that gets rid of the buffs; it adds strategy to make him a deep character. He has a lot of tools to help him competitively and I think we will see more of Cloud in the future. While I wish that Terra from FF6 was in Smash, I am not going to complain because I did enjoy FF7 and I like Cloud.
:4corrin:9/10 Comes from how fun this character is. I am excited for Fire Emblem: Fates and I wanted Corrin to get in the next Smash, but I think that it's fine that Corrin is in now. I love Corrin's smash attacks (especially side smash), neutral special, and side special. I dunno how Corrin will fair in the future, but I am enjoying this character so far. Also, Lost in Thoughts All Alone is an amazing song, both the original version and the remix.
:4bayonetta:3/10 To be honest, I am disappointed that she was our Ballot winner. Unlike Ryu, who is difficult to play as but is still fun, I don't think Bayonetta is fun to play as. She is also a pain to fight against with her specials and aerials. I don't like the character in general as well.

Overall: 71%
We have some solid DLC characters and they do add a lot to the Smash series. I enjoy the return of Mewtwo and the surprises that come from Cloud, Ryu, and Corrin. I think Bayonetta is a bit of a blemish on this roster, however.

Stages:
Dream Land: 10/10: Great competitive stage with great songs. It's a shame that they slightly changed the boundaries.
Suzaku Castle: 6/10: It looks amazing and I love the remix to Ryu's Theme, but I am not a fan of the design of the stage; the walk off shouldn't be there and we could potentially have an amazing competitive stage. I am also disappointed that we only have variations of Ryu's Theme and Ken's Theme; I wish we had other Street Fighter songs like Chun-Li's Theme, Sakura's Theme, and especially Guile's Theme.
Miiverse: 10/10: Is it fair to rate this? Well, I do like the music and the comments make a stupid and fun time, despite being a Battlefield clone.
Peach's Castle: 8/10: Not the biggest fan of the stage's design, but it has some amazing music, like the remix to the main theme of Super Mario 64!
Hyrule Castle: 10/10: My childhood!
Super Mario Maker: 7/10: Another fun stage to play on, but I don't think that I am easily wow'd by this stage.
Pirate Ship: 9/10: I enjoyed the Pirate Ship in Brawl and it looks better here. It also has an amazing Omega version to boot. I wish we had a new song or two.
Midgar: 4/10: Midgar looks amazing, along with the Summons. Behind all of that is another Battlefield clone with a depressing amount of 2 songs. The songs are amazing and I do like fighting on the Omega version, but I wish we had a remix or more songs; it's a shame that songs like Bombing Mission, J-E-N-O-V-A, and One-Winged Angel didn't make it in.
Umbra Clock Tower: 7/10: While I am not a fan of Bayonetta, I do like this stage a lot. I love the backgrounds, the design of the stage, and some of the music. I think it could be a fun competitive stage.

Overall: 78%
I think that the returning stages were some great choices, but I wish that Suzaku Castle and Midgar had a bit more oomph to them (especially in the music department).

I won't say much on the Mii Fighter costumes because I don't care, but they look great.
If I had to recommend something, I wish that we had DLC songs beyond the ones that came with the stages and Corrin. I would pay money to get new songs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peegeed

Smash Rookie
I will be commentating about the characters only because i don't own every stage and mii costume, because I don't have that kind of money to spend.

:4mewtwo:: I really like pokemon, and I really like Mewtwo as a Pokemon and to play with him, but he is kinda underwhelming overall. 6.5/10

:4lucas:: I have played Mother 3 beforehand, so this was a pleasant suprise for me. And he doesn't suck and is really fun to play as. 8.5/10

:4feroy:: I really don't know about Roy. He feels so diffrent, than his PM counterpart, and is not really that good. 7/10

:4ryu:: Haven't played any SF but he feels good still in this game. 8/10

:4cloud:: My favorite DLC character. Is so fun to play as, is really good, and his game kicks ass. 10/10

:4corrin:: I really don't like Corrin. I don't hate his game, but in Smash he is just...why? 2/10

:4bayonetta:: Bayonetta was a suprise for me. She is pretty fun to play as tho, but I haven't checked her games yet sooo. 9/10

Overall I feel the DLC are kinda overpriced, but they are kinda good overall. That's all folks.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Characters

:4mewtwo: 5/10: I've never been much of a Mewtwo-fan, not in the Pokémon-games and not in Smash.
:4lucas: 7/10: The only DLC veteran I'm glad of he's back.
:4feroy: 3/10: I don't see his appeal. Is it the fire?
:4ryu: 9/10: Fantastic. I don't think I'll ever be able to do his inputs but it's good to see the icon of fighting games in Smash.
:4cloud: 8/10: Great. Fun moveset.
:4corrin::4corrinf:10/10: They're amazing. Finally a(nother) FE character who isn't all about the swords.
:4bayonetta: 2/10: Not a fan of her playstyle and I'm not interested in her games as well.

Overall

An average of 6.3. I agree they're overpriced. Unfortunately only one Nintendo newcomer and only one veteran I care about. That being said, most of the realistic characters that had a decent shot I wanted in are already in the vanilla game, so DLC characters were already an extra bonus to me.

Stages

Dream Land 64: 10/10. Many people think this is their favorite stage of the Smash-franchise and I agree with them. Great music, colorful stage and no annoying hazards.

Suzaku Castle: 6/10. The stage itself is okay, I don't mind the walkoffs, but the music selection is kinda lackluster with just two themes having three remixes.

Miiverse: 9/10. Despite it being a recolored Battlefield, it has a great music selection and personally, I don't really care about the content of some of those messages. And more Battlefield-like stages are always nice.

Peach's Castle 64: 5/10. The music is great, the stage itself isn't. I think it's too small and not a fan of the moving platforms and bumper.

Hyrule Castle 64: 8/10. The stage itself is really great, the tornado isn't annoying, but the music selection could've been better.

Duck Hunt (3DS): 9/10. I love it. I'm glad they chose Wrecking Crew Medley as the alternate song instead of the other Duck Hunt song. It was free, too.

Super Mario Maker: 10/10. I really love it's completely randomized every time you play and how it goes through the four different Mario-games. Huge music selection, too.

Pirate Ship: 8/10. It received this 8 because of the amazing Omega. It's my favorite Omega stage. Funny, considering I didn't really miss it when it was revealed to be not in the vanilla game.

Midgar: 7/10. Great stage, unfortunate about the lack of more songs. Squeenix' work?

Umbra Clock Tower: 9/10. I haven't played this stage that much, but from what I've seen, it looks like a really enjoyable stage.

Overall

8.1. I'm really happy about the stages we got, although I would've loved to see a returning Pokémon stage as well.

Outfits

I'm not going to rate them one by one because there are so many, but I like the ones that really look like the character they are supposed to be, like the Inklings, Chrom, Ashley etc.
Outfits like K. Rool and Tails, that are just clearly Miis who went to a Halloween party, are the ones I don't like. And the others, like the Business Suit, are okay. I could've gone without the Cat, Bear and Monkey Suit, though.

Overall

It depends on the sort of outfit, but generally I think they're okay. I would've loved to see an Advance Wars-character outfit, personally.

Miscellaneous

Trophies: Great, although I would've loved to see trophies for other SF characters too, like Chun-Li, M. Bison, Guile etc. And just FF trophies.
The added Fates music: Sounds great.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My rating for Smash 4's DLC by category (keeping it brief)

New Content: 9/10:
Sakurai said that his team put more work into these last few newcomers than fighters in the base game, and it shows, because, if I'm being quite honest, the DLC blows most of Smash 4's OG newcomers out of the ****ing water.

:4cloud:Cloud + Midgar Bundle: 8/10
Cloud is an incredibly fun character, being a unique blend of having huge range and speed, effectively being perma-Speed-Mode Shulk. Extra credit to the Advent Children costume, an extra fanservice that didn't have to be done but they did it anyways. Midgar is probably the only stage that manages to balance stage hazards so that they're actually fun to have around and the stage and it's visual effects are fabulous.

However, the lack of basically ANY music content really hurts the Midgar stage. I'd love to use it more but I got so tired of the same recycled FF7 tracks every time.

:4ryu:Ryu + Suzaku Castle: 8/10
Again, Ryu is fun and fans of Street Fighter must be very happy to have their classic inputs perfectly represented in Smash Bros. Suzaku Castle is also fun, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of the walk-off to the right.

Like Midgar, the music selection is lacking, but at least we have two remixes and two additional (recycled) versions of the remixed tracks.

:4bayonetta:Bayonetta + Umbra Clock Tower: 9/10
Easily my favorite newcomer. Bayonetta's moves and combos feel like they are pulled straight out of her games - she's a perfect fit for Smash in hindsight. And special mention to her taunts and victory poses. Umbra Clock Tower is a great stage as well, with non-intrusive but stunning background elements (again, much like the games she's from) and interesting platform placement.

Unlike Cloud and Ryu, Bayonetta's stage has a sizable sample of music from her games, which is very appreciated as Bayonetta music is amazing. The trophies of Jeanne and Rodin are also appreciated, although the addition of Cereza (who is essentially a spoiler for the games) is weird when they could have easily done Luka or Enzo, or even some of the Angels featured in the stage background.

:4corrin::4corrinf:Corrin: 8/10:
As a playable character, Corrin is one of my favorite newcomers. Instead of relying on a cheap, forced gimmick to make the character feel "unique" will making them less accessible, Corrin stands out through a bunch of small quirks particular to them, such as pinning opponents, and draco-morphing.

The additional trophies for 3DS users is nice but it kinda sucks Wii U owners get no trophies, although I guess being able to use the (****ing awesome) Lost In Thoughts All Alone remix on non-Smash Run stages is compensation enough.

Super Mario Maker stage: 7/10:
Whether this stage is fun or not is basically up to the stage itself. Sometimes it loads in fun and creative layouts, other times it loads annoying ones nobody wants to fight on. I overall find it fun regardless of that, but the novelty does wear off.

The two unique music tracks, a catchy remix of Super Mario Maker's theme, and a retro medley of Mario course music than changes alongside the level, are great, but adding every single other Mario track in the game to compensate for the lack of anything else is...honestly overwhelming and pointless because I turn them all off anyways.

:4miisword:Mii Fighter Costumes: LOL next/10
(alright in all seriousness some of throwback costumes like Lloyd Irving and Geno are rad as **** but most of them are just recycled models from other games and Smash 4 so whatever)

Returning Content: 7/10:
I'm pretty disappointed by the past stages and mildly by the DLC veterans. Some of the old content was pretty neat, however I feel like compared to the new content, it was comparatively little fanservice for much less work.
The fact we have 3 of the easiest stages they could added (N64 stages) and no Melee stages and one Brawl stage seriously rubs me the wrong way.

:4mewtwo:Mewtwo: 7/10:
Honestly, I'm at least happy that Mewtwo made it in at all. But on the flipside, I really just think he should've been in the game from the start, and kinda feel he was held off for to test DLC. As for Mewtwo himself, his moveset hasn't evolved at all unlike every other Melee veteran, which severely disappoints me as I was hoping if they were going to make him come out months after the game's launch that he'd have some slight overall like Pit or Bowser.

But hey, at least they bothered to revoice him in the same style as Melee and he actually looks cool (unlike in Melee where he looks like a toad or something).

:4lucas:Lucas: 7/10:
I'm a little more happy about Lucas being DLC than Mewtwo as I feel he was much less necessary, however, I still feel as though he was another case of "let's make him low priority so we can sell him later". Especially if you buy into the Gematsu rumours.

But that's just speculation. Don't worry, Lucas himself doesn't impress me that much. He feels even more like a Ness re-skin with hair and no backpack and eyebrows in this game than Brawl and his moveset and VA being 1-1 with Brawl's makes him feel somewhat lazier than the other characters.

:4feroy:Roy: 8/10:
I admit that I think Roy didn't deserve to come back. However, as actual content, he completely impressed me. They really breathed new life into a completely irrelevant character, and made a simple clone from Melee different and unique enough to be a DLC fighter worth your money.
Again, props to getting back Roy's Melee VA from all the way in 2001 for DLC, and double props to said VA for remembering exactly how to vocalize for nostalgic Melee fans (AKA most of Roy's fanbase) to squee with hype or at least appreciate.

N64 Stages: 7/10:
As I mentioned before, these are fine stages themselves and I'm glad they're back, but the only visual changes are upgraded textures, which isn't enough to make these retro stages live up to the great, high-poly 2014 characters that are fighting in them. I understand it's part of their charm but I feel like they could have done something similar to Project M, which completely updated these exact past stages to look good in the modern era. Mario Kart is doing it, so why not Smash?

The music selection ranges from nice (Peach's Castle) or downright bad (Hyrule Castle and its plethora of recycled arrangements of the main Zelda theme, although that acoustic remix IS ****ING DOPE).

Pirate Ship: 9/10:
Honestly, the only reason I give this one such a high rating is because it surprised me. We have 3 N64 stages and then this cut Brawl stage that had no reason to be cut due to actually having a place in Smash for Wii U comes back out of nowhere.

It's clear due to the lack of parity with the 3DS version, the recycled music already in Smash 4, and the lack of a Wind Waker HD makeover that Pirate Ship was a last-minute addition, it wasn't in the plans for a while. But rather than feel cheap and lazy, it feels like they did what they could to get this one past stages out there, and that makes me happy.

(but also because holy **** Pirate Ship is an awesome stage guys and the omega version is awesome too omgggg)

Overall: 9/10:
Smash 4's DLC is great and better than a lot of other recent games (even other Nintendo games - looking at MK8 and your paid reskins of existing characters, though at least they are cheap).

While I feel the returning characters/stages were lacking, the newcomers and their stages more than made up for it. However, at the same time, I feel the majority of Smash 4's DLC is pandering to the same crowd. We have Lucas, Cloud, and Corrin. All RPG characters - two from Fire Emblem.

Bayonetta and Ryu are the only non-RPG newcomers in the batch. I definitely feel like a lot of the negativity around Smash 4's DLC could have easily been fixed with a character appealing to different demographics.

Even something as simple as adding Wolf where Roy would've been could have avoiding ruffling a lot of feathers (and no I'm not just saying that because I think Roy is kinda lame and that Wolf is a cool dude).
Starfox is a series in which the fans often ask if Nintendo gives a ****, meanwhile Fire Emblem is becoming rapidly more prevalent for Nintendo, so adding 1 character from each series versus adding two from the former would make more people happy, I feel.

And mind you, I don't care about "muh reps". I care about the characters themselves as well. But I feel like 2 Fire Emblem characters really drives my point home and that a single additional character from a different demographic would have made this round of DLC go from great to perfect.

But I guess that's not how Sakurai does it!
:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud::4cloud2::4bayonetta::4bayonetta2::4corrin::4corrinf:

EDIT: i just realize literally nobody will read all this
Also, forgot to mention that this **** is overpriced, especially the pointless Mii costumes of characters already in the game
EDIT 2: also holy **** this wasn't brief at all, in fact this is one of the longest posts I've ever made LOL

Last edited:

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
CHARACTERS:

:4mewtwo: 7/10 - Very glad he returned. However, I am a little disappointed they didn't change his moveset or buff him that much.

:4lucas: 6/10 - Didn't really care for him too much back in Brawl. Same deal here. But I am glad he did come back.

:4feroy: 9/10 - Love his buffs, moveset, and voice clips. They gave a lot of love to the character.

:4ryu: 6/10 - Doesn't fit my playstyle much and I'm not really a Street Fighter fan. But they did give a lot of quality and detail to him.

:4cloud:/:4cloud2: 8/10 - I was a little confused by his inclusion at first, but he is pretty fun.

:4corrin:/:4corrinf: 7/10 - I don't feel like the FE series needs more representation. But they're fun to play as. Plus good songs.

:4bayonetta:/:4bayonetta2: 9/10 - Pleasant surprise. Never played her games but I'm really liking her combo-heavy moveset.

Overall, I give the DLC characters a 7/10. A little sad Wolf or Snake didn't return. But still happy about the uniqueness of them.

STAGES

Miiverse - 7/10 - Kinda boring since it's basically Battlefield. But I do like the music and the posts in the background.

Umbra Clock Tower - 8/10 - Love the music and visuals.

Midgar - 7/10 - Music is nice and the hazards are fun. But I do wish the layout was a bit different and more songs.

Suzaku Castle - 6/10 - Kinda boring IMO. Don't like the walk-off.

Hyrule Castle - 8/10 - Love the layout, music, and visuals

Peach's Castle - 8/10 - Same as above.

Dream Land - 9/10 - Same as above.

Pirate Ship - 9/10 - Loved this stage back in Brawl

Super Mario Maker - 6/10 - Not that fun IMO. Do love the music.

Overall, the stages I give an 8/10 to. No Melee stages though?

Music - 9/10 - Love a lot of the songs.

Mii Fighter costumes - 9/10 - Love and use most of them. Really fit with the custom specials

Trophies - 8/10 - Love the descriptions and detail.

ALL DLC Overall - 7/10 - Not exactly what I wanted. However, I really appreciate a lot of it.

Last edited:

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
:4bayonetta: 5/10. I'm afraid I never played Bayonetta. So I'm neutral here.
:4cloud: 10/10 One of the most iconic characters in gaming, perfect addition to Smash. It helps that he's great in game too.
:4corrin: 10/10 Because Fire Emblem.
:4feroy: 10/10 Because Fire Emblem.
:4ryu: 3/10 This one felt very hollow. It's a pretty simple task to come up with his moveset and as much as I like SF it feels a poor addition to the game.
:4mewtwo:6/10 Meh. Mewtwo is alright but a bit too similar to Lucario for my liking.
:4lucas:1/10 Booooooooooring.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Stages- The stage DLC was pretty lackluster. It was cool we got Smash 64 stages that we haven't seen since that game's release (except Dream Land which was in Melee) but it's disappointing they aren't graphically updated like the Melee/Brawl stages. They said it was for a retro feel but I can almost guarantee it's because they couldn't be bothered to put more than the bare minimum effort into them. Mario Maker is interesting I guess. Midgar and Umbra Clock Tower are interesting but pretty distracting, Pirate Ship is kinda lame (did we need another Brawl stage in this game??). I enjoy Suzaku Castle (spelling?). Miiverse is cool but its layout is pretty bleh. Its baffling we only got 9 stages (2 being reskins on Battlefield), the game probably could have held so much more. I wouldn't be as disappointed with the DLC stage selection if the base game stage selection wasn't so lackluster either.

Characters- Mewtwo was the only one I actually wanted in the game. Roy is okay but we didn't need a 3rd Marth clone, Lucas is fine whatever but I didn't really care. We certainly didn't need any more 3rd party characters so it's a shame that 1/2 of the newcomers we got were 3rd party. Bayonetta is fine I guess but I seriously doubt she actually won the poll (maybe if you take out characters like Inkling, King K Rool, etc that Sakurai wanted as Mii Hats instead for some reason?). Corrin was a pretty bad addition because we didn't need a SIXTH Fire Emblem character, and she hasn't even been in a game released in the West yet. If she wasn't the final surprise DLC character then it'd be one thing but that was just disappointing (as was the final Smash Direct tbh)

Music- The only memorable DLC track we got was the remix of Bob-Omb Battlefield and the Legend of Zelda Medley (although did we need ANOTHER remix of the main theme? What is it with this game and remixing the main theme of each series a billion times?). The Super Mario Maker remix was pretty cool too.

Mii Fighter Costumes- I can't for the life of me think of why they included hundreds of these instead of giving ANY OTHER CHARACTER new costumes/swaps, especially considering how disappointing some of the selection was (***Peach***). Why so much content for one character?

DLC Overall- 4/10. Added some cool stuff but didn't really flesh out any lackluster parts of the game or do anything that interesting. If we do get Smash NX hopefully they get their act together and add in good content

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Corrin was a pretty bad addition because we didn't need a SIXTH Fire Emblem character, and she hasn't even been in a game released in the West yet.
What's wrong with Corrin not being in a game in western territories yet? I don't get it.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Too much fan service/10

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
:4mewtwo: - 5/10 Bleh, I just don't care about this. I guess it's cool to see him back since he was going for Brawl and all, but I don't see the appeal. He doesn't seem that great and he pretty much vanished from the game after a week or something. No one plays him anymore.

:4lucas: - 9/10 Mah boi. I'm being very biased on this one, but this announcement had me jumping up and down. I loved Lucas in Brawl and I really adore EarthBound, so I was so happy to see him coming back. Now I continue to practice him. It's just missing that last point because it would have been cool to see him come with some music or something.

:4ryu: - 8/10 Very cool stuff here, this was an insane announcement that unfortunately got leaked. Seeing Ryu in this game is still very surreal and it makes me happy just to know that he's here and I'm not even big on Street Fighter. The fact that they were able to implement his core mechanics so well too? Nice going, Nintendo. Beautiful stage with great music too.

:4feroy: - 8/10 At first, I didn't care all too much..but wow, the feel, the strength, the speed of Roy is all just so good and really sets him apart from Marth. His incredible new look bumps up that +1 to his score.

:4cloud: - 9/10 Cloud Strife..in Smash?! Come on guys, that speaks for itself. He looks amazing and plays great. And the battle music from FFVII in this game..lord, have mercy. Love his mechanics and it's so cool to see him appear with the Nintendo cast. I love me some Squeenix.

:4corrin:- 7/10 Aaaanother Fire Emblem character? It's how I initially felt and the feeling hasn't quite gone away. He's very different from the others, but the huge list of FE reps still bugs me. Cooler and more fun than I thought he would be, so his score is higher. He even came with some cool music.

:4bayonetta: - 4/10 So easily my least favorite DLC for this game. Talk about boring. It only took me a week to grow sick of Bayonetta. Don't care at all for her character, not even in the looks department and her kit just isn't that much fun to mess with. Nearly regret the purchase on this one, no joke.

TheArcfire

Smash Rookie
NNID
ProfesorSanchez
:4mewtwo:Didn't really care for mewtwo that much, I just got him because he was free
:4lucas:Lucas was really cool for me because his announcement was on my birthday. I picked him up for a while but then i realized i wasn't really using him too often so i just dropped him. Also mother 3 is my favorite game
:4feroy:I honestly didn't want him in the game seeing as he will be a third marth clone but Sakurai thankfully made him unique
:4ryu:More fun to watch than play as imo i dont really have an opinion
:4cloud2:I love cloud! Fun to play and a surprising character that nobody saw coming
:4corrinf:OH MY GOD MY DREAM CHARACTER GOT IN SMASH GO CRY TO SAKURAI ABOUT THE 6TH FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTER
:4bayonetta:Once again with cloud Fun and surprising character! Who expected bayonetta to get in smash? Her game is rated M, nobody and I mean NOBODY saw this coming

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
:4mewtwo:10/10: My favorite DLC character thus far. It's just great seeing Mewtwo again after 14 years since Melee and done right (at least to me). Mewtwo plays and feels great; it's just freaking fantastic that he's back, kicking *** and taking names.
:4lucas:4/10: Never really cared about Lucas or Earthbound. His playstyle doesn't click me and i just don't find him appealing. He could have been cut from the game and i wouldn't have missed him at all.
:4feroy:9/10: Talk about a redesign. Roy is brilliant in Smash 4. He just feels so much better than his primitive state in Melee. I really didn't expect him to come back, but he is a definite stay to me.
:4ryu:9/10: Ryu in Smash Bros. I think that pretty much speaks for itself. He's awesome.
:4cloud2:9/10: My second favorite DLC character only behind Mewtwo. Cloud is just awesome is pretty much everything here. I also love Midgar, i think it's one of the most fun stages to play (though only 2 music tracks with no One Winged Angel is criminal). Also, seeing Cloud in N64 stages is pretty surreal considering FF7.
:4corrin:7/10: Even though i follow Fire Emblem Fates to a tee, i hated his inclusion at first. Over time he started to grow on me as Fates draws near and he is a pretty fun character to play. Also Kamui is voiced by Cam Clarke, pretty much giving us Liquid Snake.
:4bayonetta:7/10: This is a character i was very hype for when she was announced, but when i play Bayonetta, she didn't click with me. Unlike Lucas though, i have played through her franchise and it's superb, so i do like the fact that she is in Smash Bros. I guess her style doesn't fit my style of play.

Last edited:

Racer07

Smash Cadet
NNID
MisterSeven
3DS FC
3797-7378-1855
For me, I think the DLC was great.

I think it was fair to have Mewtwo return (after all, we already have Dr. Mario), so I think it was fair. Plus, in the past people wanted Mewtwo in Smash so bad that they modded him into Brawl. I will admit that Mewtwo does feel a bit different than he did in Melee. But Mewtwo is still a rewarding character in some ways. (8/10)

Lucas was sorely missed when he didn't appear in Smash, and though I don't use him much, I really enjoy fighting other Lucas players. I'll also say since R.O.B. was a returning character from Brawl, it seems justified. I still prefer Ness, though. (7/10)

Ryu was a nice surprise. I'll have to say that he is a pretty scary character to go up against, seeing as he specializes in combos and has nice launching attacks. On the other hand, I feel that Ryu is fun to play as, too. It just seems to bring a smile to my face each time I string several hits together. One thing I might complain about is that because Ryu's attack inputs also use both the A and B buttons (at least in my experience) I sometimes ended up using the wrong move and sometimes steered away from the opponent. Also, I stumbled into a few people who don't like when Ryu players don't use the traditional Street Fighter--style inputs. I can play both ways, but I often don't use the inputs. One big thing is that he has 2 Final Smashes. (6/10)

Roy was a love letter to Melee fans. To those who claim there are too many Fire Emblem characters, throw out the mindset of successful series and look at the number of Mario Bros Characters. If Roy didn't have to be included, I would have easily suggested someone from an underrepresented series (like Black Shadow, Sylux, or Wolf O'Donnell). Roy feels similar to Marth because he was initially designed like Marth, in playstyle. Perhaps he could have had different specials to use, but how would Mewtwo fans react of his playstyle was radically changed? Roy's changes might be sparse, but they are noticeable. Yet, his Melee self is still there, except that he really packs a wallop. (8/10)

Cloud is someone that caught me off-guard. Though, I have to say perhaps another character might have been better suited? Someone from Nintendo's wide library of IPs? Nevertheless, he did get in. About his playstyle, it's pretty interesting--that's for sure. The Limit Gauge is very huge and acts as double-edged sword. Sometimes, it helps, but I think it punishes Clouds who are forced onto defense. Say for example, Lucina and Cloud are fighting, and Lucina catches him with a huge forward smash. But wait--Cloud's Limit Gauge is complete! As soon as he gets the chance, he gets to recover. This really is more harm if he's too far or if Lucina counters him before he makes it. Cloud, like Little Mac, has a good ground game, but does not have a good recovery--especially if he's been launched faraway.

On the other hand, Cloud really applies serious pressure when used smartly. To use my honest words after all this, I'll say this is not the best DLC, at least for me. The fanservice is nice, but aside from what I said about him, I think Cloud can always easily end up in a huge disadvantage. Plus, aside from a few colors, one can hardly tell the difference, unless on 3DS version.(4/10)

Corrin was someone I didn't vote for. But I knew he/she was getting in. Fire Emblem Fates was being advertised, so I think it was logical, and helps make players aware of it whether people will play it or not. My opinion is this: Corrin is pretty dang powerful. I had a few online battles with good players and I am sure that no one expected a counter. For me, the counter is a perfect move to use when I'm thinking of recovering in the closing point of a match. So far, I've ended many matches with the counter. Another one of my favorite attacks is the fully charged forward smash. While charging, Corrin can effectivelly stop rollers in their place and juggle them a bit before nailing a sharp impact on them. That same attack can even hit people hanging on the edge if they think the attack won't reach that far. I like this extra character and do plan on getting Fates. (9/10)

Bayonetta is someone I never saw coming. But I think she's a refreshingly new entry to the series. She's also hard to master, but quite rewarding (at least in my experience). I really like fighting Bayonetta players online with other characters. I have no objections to her getting in. (8/10)

I like all the DLC stages, except Duck Hunt. The 64 stages were honest-to-goodness callbacks to the 64, and the DLC character-exclusive ones (Suzaku Castle, Umbra Clock Tower, and Midgar) were really interesting to fight on and provide a breathtaking atmosphere at times. I feel that Balloon Fighter and Duck Hunt feel similar in a way, and I was here saying "Another Retro-ish stage..."

Mii Costumes are the DLC pieces I don't have too many problems with, but I think at the very least, some costumes of characters already in Smash weren't needed. Now, if they were used to reference other characters in those series (a Samurai Goroh costume for Swordfighters, Wolf costume for Brawlers, and a Sylux costume for Gunners, etc.) I think it would have done a bit better. (5/10)

Music for DLC is stellar, and I'm not even going to say why on that one. (10/10)

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I'll split stages and characters up into two groups:

Stages:

9/10

I absolutely loved the stages. They really spice up the level selection and also Dreamland 64 is a legal stage so yay. I think they were totally worth the money. Overall, I didn't hate the amount of stages we had at the start but having extra can't hurt. It was a nice surprise when they added a bunch of old 64 classics. I also was so happy when they added Pirate Ship which was the stage I missed most from Brawl. Definitely a huge success!

Characters:

6/10

The DLC characters were pretty underwhelming. In other words, I pretty much hated all of them. Each reveal was an even bigger letdown than the last. It was really just such a pitiful lineup. It makes me cringe every time I think about the fact that FE has more rep in Smash 4 than Star Fox, DK, and Metroid combined. Also the fact that by itself, it has more rep than even Pokemon, for crying out loud. I absolutely loathe and despise the FE series with the deepest passion so it was sad to see so many characters from it make it in. It also shows, Sakurai's obvious bias toward the Japanese audience which I find disgusting.

Overall, the DLC characters were awful and disappointing. I would even give them a lower rating but I think that will do. I actually think they were so terrible that they kind of made the game worse than it would have been without them. Just the knowledge that that many FE characters are in Smash hurts the game in a big way.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Also the fact that by itself, it has more rep than even Pokemon, for crying out loud.
FE: :4corrin::4myfriends::4lucina::4marth::4robinm::4feroy: + an AT, 3 stages, a single mii costume and 35 trophies counting the cut Tharja trophy.
Pokemon: :4charizard::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4mewtwo::4pikachu: + an entire set of summons put into two items, 4 stages, 5 Smash run enemies and 119 trophies.

Please tell me more about how FE has "more rep" than Pokemon or am I on the bizarro world again?

I'm also willing to counter the "more than DK, Star Fox and Metroid combined" claim too.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
FE: :4corrin::4myfriends::4lucina::4marth::4robinm::4feroy: + an AT, 3 stages, a single mii costume and 35 trophies counting the cut Tharja trophy.
Pokemon: :4charizard::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4mewtwo::4pikachu: + an entire set of summons put into two items, 4 stages, 5 Smash run enemies and 119 trophies.

Please tell me more about how FE has "more rep" than Pokemon or am I on the bizarro world again?

I'm also willing to counter the "more than DK, Star Fox and Metroid combined" claim too.
Equal, I mean to say. Also, I'm talking about character count. You think a give a single **** about that casual "trophy" crap?

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Equal, I mean to say. Also, I'm talking about character count. You think a give a single **** about that casual "trophy" crap?
You have to look at every single part of the game whether you like it or not when talking about the content (rep) each series gets.

Anyway for the "more than Metroid, Star Fox and DK combined" claim.

Metroid, Star Fox and DK combined: :4diddy::4dk::4falco::4fox::4samus::4zss: + 4 ATs, 10 stages, 3 Mii costumes, 4 Smash run enemies and 109 trophies + Ridley as a stage hazard.

Research is amazing huh?

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
You have to look at every single part of the game whether you like it or not when talking about the content (rep) each series gets.

Anyway for the "more than Metroid, Star Fox and DK combined" claim.

Metroid, Star Fox and DK combined: :4diddy::4dk::4falco::4fox::4samus::4zss: + 4 ATs, 10 stages, 3 Mii costumes, 4 Smash run enemies and 109 trophies + Ridley as a stage hazard.

Research is amazing huh?
If you want to ignore what I'm saying, that's okay. Just tell me instead of incessantly repeating the same tired old line over and over. I'm referring to character count. That's the only thing anyone cares about. Nobody even pays attention to trophies. Why would you even bring that up?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If you want to ignore what I'm saying, that's okay. Just tell me instead of incessantly repeating the same tired old line over and over. I'm referring to character count. That's the only thing anyone cares about. Nobody even pays attention to trophies. Why would you even bring that up?
Because just focusing on the characters is extremely short sighted.
If it's in the game it counts as content. You can't cherry pick to make your arguments.

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion I feel the DLC was perfect, even the fire emblem characters. They did not have as much representation in the last entry and bringing back Roy was a nice addition.

windwakingwarrior

Smash Rookie
NNID
lelennyfacelel
3DS FC
0963-1878-4233
As someone who is extremely, extremely in love with the Legend of Zelda series;

Whyyyy? I'm all for Mewtwo, Lucas and Bayonetta, but the rest were either characters I didn't care for or terrible.
Seeing Pirate Ship make a return was good, and I didn't mind the N64 stages coming back at all, but it's still a shame that we only have one Wind Waker character, and only 4 LoZ characters in general... try and tell me Impa Toon Zelda or Tetra in this game wouldn't be amazing!

Overall, I guess I just give the DLC a 6/10, if only for Mewtwo and Pirate Ship...
still overpriced as hell though

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto

Whyyyy? I'm all for Mewtwo, Lucas and Bayonetta, but the rest were either characters I didn't care for or terrible.
Seeing Pirate Ship make a return was good, and I didn't mind the N64 stages coming back at all, but it's still a shame that we only have one Wind Waker character, and only 4 LoZ characters in general... try and tell me Impa Toon Zelda or Tetra in this game wouldn't be amazing!

Overall, I guess I just give the DLC a 6/10, if only for Mewtwo and Pirate Ship...
I completely agree! I wish that there were more Zelda characters in the game. I guess, there's nothing we can do now, though, but hope for more Zelda characters in Smash 5... :(

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
I completely agree! I wish that there were more Zelda characters in the game. I guess, there's nothing we can do now, though, but hope for more Zelda characters in Smash 5... :(
Inb4 Young Link gets confirmed for Smash 6.

I'd be happy. :/

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

Zelda got the short end of the stick when it comes to representation this time around. Characters like Ghirahim, Midna, Impa or Skull Kid would have been great representations for Zelda. Instead, 3 out of the 4 got the Assist Trophy treatment and Impa was only there as trophies. Yet we still get Toon Link as a rep.........i know there are a lot of people that really like Toon Link and i don't blame them, he is really cool in Wind Waker, but as a Smash Zelda rep, he is godawful at least to me.

Fire Emblem got too much here. I love Fire Emblem, but 6 characters!? That's the same as Pokemon, 1 more then Zelda and the exact same amount as DK, Metroid & Star Fox combined. That is freaking insane! Roy would have been enough, but i think Kamui was a bit too much (i like Kamui, but still).

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
with the exception of Ryu the whole dlc characters are ****, cmon roy? really? another marth clone, then cloud wow..another sword user how original and now Corrin, wth man arent there enough sword users? almost the whole roster !!!they should rename this game Nintendo Calibur or Nintendo Edge
What a shame because this game was great when it was released

PS. Bayonetta too even though she isnt a sword user she simply doesnt fit in this game

Last edited:
Top Bottom