• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's face it, Brawl = Next Mario Party, huge dissapointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artanisix

Smash Cadet
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
-Arthur Schopenhauer

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
Well the response to this thread tells me at least one thing, and thats that General Brawl Discussion is full of Brawl fanboys that can't accept someone else's opinion of the game due to their own fanboyism.

I'm going back to Tactical Discussion, and hopefully no-one from this thread follows me.

lololo

Smash Rookie
Hey, "NintendoFailedwithBrawl,"

Please tell me you live in Ohio. (Or at least go to OSU)

gooseman

Smash Cadet
The weak die while the strong adapt and move on. Never thought I'd see natural selection apllied to video games.

Brawl is the game Melee was meant to be. Character balance, fine tuned engine, and exploit free. Well, free of all exploits that would be worth a s|-|it.

So far I've got all the characters unlocked and most of the stages, with 95% of SSE done and about 18 hours of multiplayer logged in, both online and off.

Best time I've had in a looooong time, better than any time I've had in Melee.

I dunno what your problem is, but you sound like a whiney tourney*** whos pissed because the game can't be broken anymore. Cry moar, plox.

PS, You CAN combo in this game. Learn to mix up ground and air attacks, tard. And try someone besides Fox.

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
ç

How is it mediocre if they removed things that shouldn't be on the game? Wavedashing wasn`t supposed to be a part of the game. Yeah, it is slower than melee but it isn`t THAT much... I think it`s a great game and I`ve only had it for 1 day.
Huh?
So combos aren't supposed to be in the game? That's new for a fighting game!
What about Z cancel/L cancel? Those were intended before... why not now?
Crouch Cancel was in SSB64 and Melee... I guess that wasn't intended either!

With the removal of Z cancel / L cancel AND combos the SKILL GAP between "hardcore" players and "casual" players has significantly DECREASED. It's not the SPEED that's the problem, it wasn't a problem for us SSB64 players. It's the LACK of technical skill and truly linked COMBOS that break the gap.

mada234

Smash Ace
Hmmm...I don't know what to think yet. It's too soon.

My initial reaction: I HATE THIS GAME
After a night's sleep and coming back to it: I still don't like this game, but it's grown on me a little bit.

I feel like ssb has been like halo in this respect. Loved the first one, the second one, still like the third one, but not that much.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Why are linked combos so important? Can anyone tell me why? Everyone keeps telling me that they're important, but I see no real reasons why except that people want an easy way to assure that they will do damage.

And this is under the assumption that Brawl lacks combos, which it clearly does not (I've been comboing the crap out of people with R.O.B. for one...)

krlos F.

Smash Journeyman
for me:
-I think SSBMelee was better than this game (about the competitive gameplay)
-Brawl is better than melee in graphics, move sets and entertainment.
-Brawl is funniest than competitive.
I HATE STUMBLE! I DON'T KNOW WHY IS IN THE GAMEEEEEEEEEE! and I HATE FREE FINAL SMASHES FOR THE LOSER!
-Brawl is just great for me, and obviosly i let melee go and now I play Brawl, but honestly I wanted a better "brawl" but... I can live with that and I love brawl anyways...

SiD

Smash Master
I disagree.

-The game is so slow now that its almost a joke
You're exagerating. Sure, it's slower than Melee, but Melee was very fast to begin with. I don't think this hurts the gameplay, nor does it help it.

-Skill components have been removed (Wavedashing, L-Cancelling, etc.)
True, but other techniques are now in the game. The reverse aerial rush, for example, is great. And it adds a different kind of skill now without L canceling, becuase you have to know when to use certain moves better than before because they have vastly different lag times.

-All the players have been downgraded and Nintendo didn't want anyone to dominate.
I really don't understand how this is a problem, why should anyone dominate? A better balanced game is better overall.

-You grab the edge practically every time, its like magnetic almost
This is bad in alot of ways, sure. But it does make it more skillful to edgeguard I think, because you can't just wait for them to up B and score a free hit.

-Great combo's = gone because of slow free fall
This one may prove true, which is a downer.

-You can airdodge continuously
Again, how is that bad? It's just like spot dodging.

-Disastrous and awkward load times
This one does suck, but if you like the game already it isn't annoying.

Overall, I'd say that quality wise and competitive wise, Melee and Brawl are fairly evenly matched, they are just very different. Brawl, however, has more characters, more stages, and what so far seems like a better balance. Therefore, I think that it is ultimately better.

Plus, regardless if you think Melee is better or not, Brawl is still a fun game. A dissapointment? I don't agree in the slightest.

Spellman

Smash Ace
I agree with SiD.

I'd also like to add that the transition to Brawl may be a little more difficult because it's hard being at the bottom of the food chain again. Well y'know, for people who like to win-win-win.

This game is possible to master, I'm confident in that. It just needs some time to age a bit. You guys didn't think you'd uncovered every strategy in two days, have you?

All I can say is I'm having ALOT of fun. I can't wait to crack open the stage builder. (I've dabbled in it a bit, but only quickly to unlock the extra parts.)

onlinenow25

Smash Rookie
I dont understand how "lack" of AT's is a bad thing.

Like it has been said, the gap between casual and tourney players has been lowered is this bad? If so how?
Does greater competition make a game bad? Now that some average Joe can own you its bad?

Slowed down? only if you L-canceled and Wavedashed. If not the only thing really different is the hang time, and is areal combat bad?

More balanced characters, instead of 5 good ones there 35 good ones, and each has their own set of mismatch is that bad? Soo now you need to use other characters? Lack of skill? i think it adds more, you have to have a diverse amount of characters you are good with.

And... Now theres a new type of character the "GIMP" character, namely Sonic and Meta Knight, is it bad they added a whole new character type? Now theres speed, stronger, average, gimpkiller. Is this bad?

What made melee so amazing? The "speed"? how does the speed of a fighting game add to it being good or bad? How does a lower gap between pros and casuals make this game bad?

So far all i hear is that competitive players are angry about being able to be beating by the average joe because theres no (as of yet) exploits, or things like L-canceling (button mashing id call it). Less AT's does not mean it requires less skill. Yes it means your fingers dont have to be as fast, but that means you have to know your characters ins and outs better along with knowing your opponents character.

Is this all really bad?

Darth Alec

Smash Rookie
First of all, I am a huge Nintendo fanboy. I am older than many of you and have owned almost every Nintendo console: SNES, N64, GC, Wii, even 2 gamesboys, and I've played almost every franchise game Nintendo has ever made. I also have an Xbox360 for online sports games/COD4.

Lets face is, Nintendo makes the BEST games. Period. With Nintendo you get a very high quality product. I trusted in Nintendo all these years, and they NEVER disappointed.

Me and my 6 roommates play Melee like a sport. We even have our own weekly power-rankings.
I had briefly played the Japanese version of the game before, but tonight confirmed what I already knew.

Brawl is a failure in my eyes. Its a good game, in fact it's very fun, and it will garner great rankings from nearly every site. This isn't meant to be a troll/bait thread, I truly feel this way, and I'm sure that anyone that loves Melee will feel the same way. This game just makes me sad. I don't think I will play it anymore personally. Sure it has slightly better graphics, but its the gameplay that suffers.

Brawl is just another Mario Party. Its a fun multi-player game, nothing more, nothing less.

-The game is so slow now that its almost a joke
-Skill components have been removed (Wavedashing, L-Cancelling, etc.)
-All the players have been downgraded and Nintendo didn't want anyone to dominate.
-You grab the edge practically every time, its like magnetic almost
-Great combo's = gone because of slow free fall
-You can airdodge continuously
-Disastrous and awkward load times

I am sure there are others like me out there...I've been on this board many times as a lurker, but tonight I had to join to voice my disgust. I don't know about you guys, but I'll be playing Melee for a LONG time to come. Also please don't say I'm judging the game too early, because I Played the Japense one before too.

Smash+Nintendo run In my blood, and please don't judge me or my credibility by my post count. Most of my roommates like it, to my suprise, but I want to see if anyone else is on my side..

~ ARCADE ~

Smash Rookie
Lets face it... this thread is a joke.

Why should anyone be disappointed at the game ? Because you now don't have characters that dominate ? Cmon .... thats beyond lame.

They took all of the broken aspects that were in Melee out, to create a more balanced game. And probably over 90% of the people on this board appreciate Brawl over Melee any day.

I'll admit I am starting to like Diddy A lot, and Metonite has a lot of potential. I play heavy gravity sometimes to compensate.

I like some of the new animations like crawling and King Dedede's crouch (LMAO)

Maybe it will wear of on me, but for now, I still think this game could have been a Gem but its not polished.

My Fox and Shiek were so dominant in the last game , and winning was everything..this is completely different though.

bugmenot

Smash Cadet
My Fox and Shiek were so dominant in the last game , and winning was everything..this is completely different though.
I'm curious as to how your tournament history reads.
Local? State? MLG/Evo?
Placings? Finals? Semi? Quarter? Or knocked out in the third round?

I'm curious as to how your tournament history reads.
Local? State? MLG/Evo?
Placings? Finals? Semi? Quarter? Or knocked out in the third round?
I meant relatively. Obviously there are lots of players way better than me, but I know the ins and outs of the game really well. I entered a county/local tournament once and got to semi's :ohwell:, I don't know tourney's aren't my thing really.

Fox is an overpowered character in Melee, and the skills of your opponents might not be too high. Do you still hate Brawl, or was that a first impression?

Also, you miss-spelled Nintendo in your sig.
I don't hate it anymore. I am trying to appreciate it for what it is as its own game. It might take some time though. Ill say this - Diddy/Metonite are the only reason I am finding my self enjoying this game.

The game is fun no doubt, even in my OP i said its fun, but I thought Melee was perfection. Thats why it took Nintendo so long to make a sequel. Melee was pretty much perfect. Can't improve much on perfection.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
What the ****. I can't even begin to suggest how dumb you are. It's okay to be upset with something (though misguided young grasshopper), but there comes a time when you deserve to be shot. Lynched. Effed in multiple ways. I mean, to compare this game to Mario Party. All time low. Gtfo my swf.

Meanwhile, I just wanted to say: this thread is PHAIL

=D

SiD

Smash Master
I love how dozens of n00bs who joined in the last 2 months think they know everything about competitive Smash.

Trust me, you don't.

And onlinenow25, you could not, possibly, fail any harder.

I dont understand how "lack" of AT's is a bad thing.

Like it has been said, the gap between casual and tourney players has been lowered is this bad? If so how?
Does greater competition make a game bad? Now that some average Joe can own you its bad?

Slowed down? only if you L-canceled and Wavedashed. If not the only thing really different is the hang time, and is areal combat bad?

More balanced characters, instead of 5 good ones there 35 good ones, and each has their own set of mismatch is that bad? Soo now you need to use other characters? Lack of skill? i think it adds more, you have to have a diverse amount of characters you are good with.

And... Now theres a new type of character the "GIMP" character, namely Sonic and Meta Knight, is it bad they added a whole new character type? Now theres speed, stronger, average, gimpkiller. Is this bad?

What made melee so amazing? The "speed"? how does the speed of a fighting game add to it being good or bad? How does a lower gap between pros and casuals make this game bad?

So far all i hear is that competitive players are angry about being able to be beating by the average joe because theres no (as of yet) exploits, or things like L-canceling (button mashing id call it). Less AT's does not mean it requires less skill. Yes it means your fingers dont have to be as fast, but that means you have to know your characters ins and outs better along with knowing your opponents character.

Is this all really bad?

ObeseNightmare

Smash Cadet
I personally like this game a lot more than melee. It could be because I was average (not real good, but not bad either) and now I'm actually kinda good. It could be because I didn't/don't know/want to know how to wave dash and all that "hulabaloo" and I play for fun where when you get to a certain skill you would be limited by your ability to do things not explained in the instruction manual or tutorial videos. I guess I just like the basics and unlockable characters.

Repryx

Smash Champion
^^The guy above me

I love how dozens of n00bs who joined in the last 2 months think they know everything about competitive Smash.

Trust me, you don't.

And onlinenow25, you could not, possibly, fail any harder.
and this!

WIN!

-Ciao

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
The weak die while the strong adapt and move on. Never thought I'd see natural selection apllied to video games.

Brawl is the game Melee was meant to be. Character balance, fine tuned engine, and exploit free. Well, free of all exploits that would be worth a s|-|it.

So far I've got all the characters unlocked and most of the stages, with 95% of SSE done and about 18 hours of multiplayer logged in, both online and off.

Best time I've had in a looooong time, better than any time I've had in Melee.

I dunno what your problem is, but you sound like a whiney tourney*** whos pissed because the game can't be broken anymore. Cry moar, plox.

PS, You CAN combo in this game. Learn to mix up ground and air attacks, tard. And try someone besides Fox.
I lol'd. Hard.

beef000

Smash Rookie
Ya so its just aimed for being fun with casual fans - sounds like Marion Party to me. I am an extremely competitive person, so this is very difficult for me. Why would they ruin it?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

oh oh is all about the money dude $.... u think there are more competitive players than casual players? nintendo is a business, they make money, the more the better.
i was gonna support u, but then i saw ur childish reply and i quickly changed my view about u :dizzy:

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
I can actually understand why Nintendo took out Dashdancing and L-Cancelling as well as Wavedashing... Because everyone online would've used them and parts of the fanbase would complain about it breaking the game, just like they did with Snaking in Mario Kart DS. No one cared about Snaking before Mario Kart was online. It's the Greater Internet ******* Theory at work.

milind4

Smash Apprentice
i think that smashboards in general has come to a bad state if a hate topic in two days has already surpassed the positive thread created like a year ago by two hundred posts...

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Let's face it, no one cares what you think and you can't accept change.
Lol all I had to read.

Well atleast this guy isn't like OMFG ITS SO BAD CUZ I CANT USE MY SKILLFUL WAVEDASH BRAWLNUBS LOLZ.

Side note to everyone: if you can't combo in Brawl you should go back to Melee lol.

sleepyoshi

Smash Rookie
IN a way I get what your saying but I think you have to play the game longer to get use to it.Yeah its slow But that shouldn't make it bad or when u can air dodge all the time neither.Its just a new way to play and u like me miss how melee game play is but sometime it good to move on to the new from the old.You'll get use to it eventully.Also a nintendo fan since the day I was born.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom