• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's face it, Brawl = Next Mario Party, huge dissapointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.E

Smash Apprentice
I am not pouting because they removed Wavedashing.

I'm fine with that, but why did they have to slow down the game so much?

Everyone falls like they're jigglypuff in Melee.
It´s actually not that slow! 64 wasn´t either. The gravity is much lower which makes jumping/falling much slower but this increases the importance of air-battles and threrefore it´s a good thing (in my opinion)

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
i dont see how this game isnt competitive. u put 3 stocks on each person and u have a winner and loser.... the winner must be doing sumthing better than the loser and thats how a game gets competitive.

for example, someone camps using pits arrows and somehow 3 stocks the opponent, that would be a effective strategy and the other player would have to find a counter strategy... i mean this game still is about knocking ur opponent off the stage more times, just cuz its simpler or different doesnt mean it isnt smash.

Puddin Master

Smash Apprentice
Oh, and if you're complaining about falling speed, just put it on high gravity. It feels more like Melee. I'm not gonna do that, of course.

Eggm

Smash Hero
This game cant be ruined if it's just "to slow" or got no wavedahing s*it
It IS about fun, the game IS made for making fun. and if you dont think its fun, then don't play it!
i dont see how this game isnt competitive. u put 3 stocks on each person and u have a winner and loser.... the winner must be doing sumthing better than the loser and thats how a game gets competitive.

for example, someone camps using pits arrows and somehow 3 stocks the opponent, that would be a effective strategy and the other player would have to find a counter strategy... i mean this game still is about knocking ur opponent off the stage more times, just cuz its simpler or different doesnt mean it isnt smash.
Any game can be competitive if looked at like this. But what matters is the better player always wins and if your having fun while doing it. Brawl's really boring played competitively compared to melee.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
OMG what a new and exciting idea for a thread. You must be rreally smart to notice this when noone else has.

CrazyShaman

Smash Apprentice
Translation: "Brawl is not melee 2.0 so I don't think it will be good competitively."
Also, this could just be a troll attempt. Too tired to decide.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
Why do people constantly fall into these kinds of trap threads?

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
First of all, I am a huge Nintendo fanboy. I am older than many of you and have owned almost every Nintendo console: SNES, N64, GC, Wii, even 2 gamesboys
You didn't even have a NES. Old Nintendo fanboy my arse.

middie23

Smash Cadet
gameplay changes in most sequels get used to it

plus, even if it's slower it can still be competitive, it's all about strategy

Metalknux

Smash Ace
Grow the hell up you pieces of ****. This guy is just expressing his opinion, and his points are pretty valid, and you ****wads just hop on here and talk **** when half of you don't own the ****in game. Everyone who joined SmashBoards in 2008 needs to get the hell out.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Nah I felt melee was too fast. I can handle it, but it's a little fast for me. So I think brawl will be great!

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
Grow the hell up you pieces of ****. This guy is just expressing his opinion, and his points are pretty valid, and you ****wads just hop on here and talk **** when half of you don't own the ****in game. Everyone who joined SmashBoards in 2008 needs to get the hell out.
"I'm sure that anyone that loves Melee will feel the same way."
Insult.

"Brawl is just another Mario Party. Its a fun multi-player game, nothing more, nothing less."
Insults the skill of anyone who plays it.

"-All the players have been downgraded and Nintendo didn't want anyone to dominate."
...that proves he's butthurt 'cause he sucks at the game.

The last few sentences form a great mask for all this, I know, but don't be deceived.

Platanos

Smash Cadet
I would argue with this topic, but one quick look at your ridiculous username has confirmed that I shouldn't waste my time.

I'm having a great time with Brawl.

Shrunk!!!

Smash Cadet
Mooresville, North Carolina (aka boring as hell)
I thought Halo 3 was a HUGE disappointment in terms of how hyped up it was.

But you don't see me on the microsoft forums spamming "HALO IS TEH SUCK" I still play it, and I still enjoy it. It just wasn't as good as it was said to be, halo 2 was better in my opinion and I stick with that.

The same applies to brawl. Even though I haven't played it, it might not be all it was hyped up to be. But the thing is, from what I've seen, brawl is just as fun as melee was. You just need a different play style.

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
Well...the point isn't the fun of the game, but how un-competitive it is. As he said, it's "just Mario Party".
First licking ***** by praising its fun factor, then bashing its depth and skill level. Reverse Martin Luthor King tactic.

Biggum300

Smash Apprentice
You said it was a fun mutiplayer game THAT WAS BRAWL IS!!!!!a mutiplayer game Brawl is just for mutiplayer

Heroic

Smash Cadet
being a casual gamer I don't know all these techniques like wavedashing, and top tier, which is weird. But you really don't have a fully understanding of the game until you enjoy it just for the game. Not for whats in it. If it's fun then it's not a failure.

Let me remind you, games are made for fun :)
Games are not made for fun. A not competitive multiplayer game cannot be real fun. The important is to WIN, noy have fun, or rather have fun by winning.

to the OP: many people on the boards think the same thing as you, but:

- the game is wayy more deep then you think. without the automatic sweetspot, the game would have been ridiculous, every swordman edgeguarding by juyst forward smashing/ down-tiliting the ledge.

Edgeguarding is much more aerial now, we can now even speak of air guarding. Now it is not a matter of who is playing marth anf forward smashing near the ledge, but it is a matter of footstooling/ interception/ trying to recover through that, wich makes for a far more developped ledge game then melee had.

- perfect shielding is now much easier to do, so one can now pull it off consistently instead of having that narrow 3 frames window melee had for powershielding (I never saw anyone have a powershielding rate then about 40% of the time).

-L cancel isn't necessary anymore. Each character has aerial moves that either:
-have lag on landing
-have next to no lag on landing

So, this just means that you can do some moves near the groung, and others you must be sure to hiy when you are near the ground.

Try to imagine; Ike, hopping around, doing his Fair left and right with no lag at all. I am terrified just thinking about it. XD

-wavedashing: not having it is a small price to pay to have a balanced game. If the wavedash/ dash dance was still in, it would give a tremendous advantage to fast characters.

Anyway, wavedashing is overrated. I was using it as my only mean of locomotion in melee for some time, but now, it seems I use it less and less. I just don't really need it, I am fine with walking around most of the time.

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
Games are not made for fun. A not competitive multiplayer game cannot be real fun. The important is to WIN, noy have fun, or rather have fun by winning.

to the OP: many people on the boards think the same thing as you, but:

- the game is wayy more deep then you think. without the automatic sweetspot, the game would have been ridiculous, every swordman edgeguarding by juyst forward smashing/ down-tiliting the ledge.

Edgeguarding is much more aerial now, we can now even speak of air guarding. Now it is not a matter of who is playing marth anf forward smashing near the ledge, but it is a matter of footstooling/ interception/ trying to recover through that, wich makes for a far more developped ledge game then melee had.

- perfect shielding is now much easier to do, so one can now pull it off consistently instead of having that narrow 3 frames window melee had for powershielding (I never saw anyone have a powershielding rate then about 40% of the time).

-L cancel isn't necessary anymore. Each character has aerial moves that either:
-have lag on landing
-have next to no lag on landing

So, this just means that you can do some moves near the groung, and others you must be sure to hiy when you are near the ground.

Try to imagine; Ike, hopping around, doing his Fair left and right with no lag at all. I am terrified just thinking about it. XD

-wavedashing: not having it is a small price to pay to have a balanced game. If the wavedash/ dash dance was still in, it would give a tremendous advantage to fast characters.

Anyway, wavedashing is overrated. I was using it as my only mean of locomotion in melee for some time, but now, it seems I use it less and less. I just don't really need it, I am fine with walking around most of the time.
I have two questions for you:
1) Do you think Bowser and Ganon benefits from not having L-cancelled airials, and 2) do you think melee would have been more balanced without wavedashing?

If the answer to either of those question is yes then I don't think you know what you are rambling about.

TomH

Smash Journeyman
the main thing people are forgetting is that Brawl has had 6 years of advanced techniques to get used to. When melee first came out, no one wave dashed, and EVERYONE played as sheik. Most of the good tournament players just dash attacked with sheik all the time. Yes...dash attack.

I play advanced, although probably not with as good of players as most of you, but when i cracked open brawl, i decided im not looking at any advanced techniques, im playing 4 P with items turned on, im getting into the single player, and maybe in a couple months Ill figure out how to play well. Enjoy the game as you did before learning the advanced techniques, because once you learn them all again, you cant go back to that blissful state of noobiness again.

edit: but they screwed up online play, but thats ok, i just wont play online with non friends.

Skalor

Smash Apprentice
HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD/PLAYED THE GAME!!??? Ofcorse initially your going to notice the differences. Maybe actually get used to the game? At first I didn't enjoy it. But now ive got into it I love it so much more than Melee. By far the best game ever. (Ive played the *** one that how come ive played it alot).

Nerfed all the characters WHAT YOU TALKING ABOUT? Zelda = Improoved, Pickachu = Improoved, Mr G&W Improoved, and MOST are about as good as they were previously. Obviously a few characters like Fox got some well DESERVED nerfing.

Stop moaning and actually give a review in say a MONTH?

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD/PLAYED THE GAME!!??? Ofcorse initially your going to notice the differences. Maybe actually get used to the game? At first I didn't enjoy it. But now ive got into it I love it so much more than Melee. By far the best game ever. (Ive played the *** one that how come ive played it alot).

Nerfed all the characters WHAT YOU TALKING ABOUT? Zelda = Improoved, Pickachu = Improoved, Mr G&W Improoved, and MOST are about as good as they were previously. Obviously a few characters like Fox got some well DESERVED nerfing.

Stop moaning and actually give a review in say a MONTH?
If some people are allowed to bless the game after just a day or two, then wtf are people not allowed to curse it ?

Also the op said he had played the japanese game.. which has been out for, you know, a whole month!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom