• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's face it, Brawl = Next Mario Party, huge dissapointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

majora_787

Smash Hero
You already ruined it for yourself. Think anyone will respect you now? Well, you keep thinking that. I'm out of here. Have fun mindlessly bashing a game, at least enjoy the more nostalgic games, there's enough for everyone.
Yaaaa im gonna hang with crystallion in this one. Later troll.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
It's your fault for not preparing yourself for Brawl, OP. When I heard that Brawl was in development, I stopped playing Melee altogether because I KNEW that Brawl would be different, and that I wouldn't be able to rely on certain techniques to win any more.

Now that I've been watching and studying intently on how the new mechanics of Brawl work, I can clearly see that it's a lot more competitive than it appears from a Melee player's perspective. You just need a totally different mindset etc.

Hahaha.

What I find funny is that you call yourself such a hard core competitive player who likes to win, yet you're giving up the moment that the new game proves different. Where's your sense of pride?

It's your fault for not preparing yourself for Brawl, OP. When I heard that Brawl was in development, I stopped playing Melee altogether because I KNEW that Brawl would be different, and that I wouldn't be able to rely on certain techniques to win any more.

Now that I've been watching and studying intently on how the new mechanics of Brawl work, I can clearly see that it's a lot more competitive than it appears from a Melee player's perspective. You just need a totally different mindset etc.

Hahaha.
Ok then, with Items off, tell me how its competitive? I'd like to know please.

Eaode

Smash Champion
I'm not gonna read through the whole thread, I'm just gonna sit back and laugh. I also played Melee practically religously, and I was really dissapointed when I heard that WD and L-cancelling were taken out. But after your first ten matches you forget all tha and it just feels like a pure fun experience, your playing smash, but its new fresh, and awesome.

Seriously, stop saying it fails because it differs from Melee. I never thought I'd be one of the "Brawl =/= Melee" people, but aterr playing the game for two staright days, I really feel like your opinion is horribly misguided.

And yes, I can see potential for a future competitive metagame. Only time will show Brawl's potential.

J-man24star

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere, plotting to become dictator of smash w
you kids are certainly feeding this troll.

he's good i must say.
Yea, i am agreeing, i'm not posting here after this post. I hope everyone learns from Brawl and caryys it over to SSB4, DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!! even if your hungry for smash knowledge, look at the first post, if it looks like reliable info, record in a folder called "Leeks/Predictions/ect..." and wait. THe Trolls will die down if you don't feed them.

crystal107

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0791-1171-8682
I think brawl will be less fun than melee... it obviously closed the gap between experts and beginners... No more speed , and more floatiness => slow thinking is allowed. it used to challenge the mind... now it's just... less challenging... and with all that tripping and tripping moves coming in? wtf did they think?! balanced? I don't think so... I think players haven't played enough marth fairs, luigi's UPBs and ICs grabs that can kill you from 0% without you being able to do anything against it - it is NOT balanced.

Btw, I AM playing brawl, I am still gonna play brawl, but I still believe melee was better. I'm a casual smash community player - I'm just not gonna give up on that because the game is not as good as melee :)

My favorite character kinda sucks now and even slower than she was... peach. all female characters pretty suck now... so brawl seems... less than melee.

I agree that brawl can't be compared to melee, anyone trying to compare brawl to melee, will just get disappointed.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Ok then, with Items off, tell me how its competitive? I'd like to know please.
gladly.

For starters, Brawl is much more oriented towards spacing and specific character traits rather than pure speed and technique. Each of the characters have a lot more "advanced" attributes within their own character that they don't share with other characters. In Melee, you could rely on universal character tricks such as wavedashing in order to supplement your character's abilities rather than relying on them, which brought Melee to a point where you would win by playing as the characters with the best movement, etc.

Now Brawl removes these universal techniques and replaces them with ones that are character-specific, meaning that you no longer can expect to win against your opponent UNLESS you know both your own character and your opponent's character inside out. It allows for a much more personal connection with your main.

Take Toon Link and Lucario for example. Two characters who can use footstool jumps off the ground at close range (with good timing) to eat right through an opponent's shield and immediately hit them with an unblockable Dair. There may be other characters in the cast who can do this, but at the moment it's pretty exclusive. Knowing how to do this will be one thing that separates scrubby players from those who've really mastered their instrument. It doesn't just come down to something as simple as "I can wavedash and you can't."

Also, the speed of the game is not an issue. In fact, if anything it creates for a less offensive and more defensive game, which is IMO a lot more exciting, especially with the new powershield mechanics. It will be focused on mind games, careful planning, intelligent play and strategy over move spamming. Oh, and on the subject of move spamming, you now HAVE to play using your character's entire moveset due to stale move negation, meaning that you have to work with your character even more if you want to win.

Seriously, you really need to focus on what makes Brawl BRAWL and not Melee. I don't want to get stuck moaning about an old game when the sequel has come out. The past sucks, look to the future and forget the past ever existed is my motto. Brawl has plenty of opportunity, you just have to be willing to go and discover it.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
well, if u dont like it then dont play it i guess.... but its not nintendo's fault, sakuri is the creator of both meele and brawl...
and ive stated this before but melee isnt smash, just a form of it...

brawl is popular enough to where it will be played continuosly for many years.... if the game is too shallow then people will figure it out and stop playing, but if there is depth to this game then people will find ways to get better.... imo this will be a game of character matchups,complex mindgames and positioning, with some advance tech skill... yes it will be played alot diff. than competitive melee but i think that is where the depth in this game lies...

I think brawl will be less fun than melee... it obviously closed the gap between experts and beginners... No more speed , and more floatiness => slow thinking is allowed. it used to challenge the mind... now it's just... less challenging... and with all that tripping and tripping moves coming in? wtf did they think?! balanced? I don't think so... I think players haven't played enough marth fairs, luigi's UPBs and ICs grabs that can kill you from 0% without you being able to do anything against it - it is NOT balanced.

Btw, I AM playing brawl, I am still gonna play brawl, but I still believe melee was better. I'm a casual smash community player - I'm just not gonna give up on that because the game is not as good as melee :)

My favorite character kinda sucks now and even slower than she was... peach. all female characters pretty suck now... so brawl seems... less than melee.

I agree that brawl can't be compared to melee, anyone trying to compare brawl to melee, will just get disappointed.
^ Knowledgeable member here.

At least someone agrees with me.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Jeez what's with all the flame? The poor guy's being perfectly reasonable just expressing his views and everyone's viciously flaming him. Seems to me that if you actually thought he was wrong you wouldn't care what he said, almost as though there are some people here feeling the same as him about Brawl, and just not wanting to admit it, denial anyone?

That said, the game did come out today, give it a while, a lot of pro 64 players didn't like Melee when they played it first. Give it a month, give it a chance, then come back to me

DeltaWolf

Smash Apprentice
Jeez what's with all the flame? The poor guy's being perfectly reasonable just expressing his views and everyone's viciously flaming him. Seems to me that if you actually thought he was wrong you wouldn't care what he said, almost as though there are some people here feeling the same as him about Brawl, and just not wanting to admit it, denial anyone?

That said, the game did come out today, give it a while, a lot of pro 64 players didn't like Melee when they played it first. Give it a month, give it a chance, then come back to me
I understand what you mean, but I've been really pissy today because all these people complaining that it's not perfect. Seriously they just keep wanting more and more!

and to "NintendoFailedwithBrawl" if you didn't read correctly :
ummm... Isn't the whole topic about you comparing Brawl to Melee and being disappointed?:confused:

ff7freddy

Smash Cadet

So that is your reason for not playing brawl? because you suck with your fave character and don't know how to play the game yet? Dude, newsflash, the game came out TODAY. Get to know your character better yet learn to play before bashing on the game because you suck.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Another thing:

The game may not be more BALANCED in however way you want to use the word, but it's clear enough that we are no longer limited to Fox/Falco/Shiek/Marth on Final Destination any more. It seems that there are more characters that are viable as competitive players, which should diversify the metagame, instantly making it more appealing competitively. Some of the more unusual characters even seem to disregard tiers completely. Snake can either be terrible or good depending on how smart the person playing him is. Lucario seems weak, yet minor statistical perks in his evasive skills and frame data keep him viable. Marth is awesome, but it's entirely possible for a character like Lucas to harrass him with PK Fire evasion (yet another character specific technique) and make him struggle for a KO. It seems like every character has a counter pick this time around.

crystal107

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0791-1171-8682
So that is your reason for not playing brawl? because you suck with your fave character and don't know how to play the game yet? Dude, newsflash, the game came out TODAY. Get to know your character better yet learn to play before bashing on the game because you suck.
Honey, I'm not a dude first, second, I've played the game over a month, since its Japanese release :) and I'm playing mainly peach, and everyone say I'm good with her, but she still sucks :) I'm considered the hardest challenge to the best player in my country, yet I'm disappointed.

You CAN BE DISAPPOINTED with the game even if you don't suck, don't you get it ? :)

DeltaWolf

Smash Apprentice
Honey, I'm not a dude first, second, I've played the game over a month, since its Japanese release :) and I'm playing mainly peach, and everyone say I'm good with her, but she still sucks :) I'm considered the hardest challenge to the best player in my country, yet I'm disappointed.
It's a little disappointing for you to say she "sucks". If people say you're good with her you must be doing something right.

I mean, i'm not "good", because I play just with my family, like i'd be slaughtered if I went on Wi-Fi, but I still think Peach will rock! :lick: And yes I will main her.

crystal107

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0791-1171-8682
It's a little disappointing for you to say she "sucks". If people say you're good with her you must be doing something right.

I mean, i'm not "good", because I play just with my family, like i'd be slaughtered if I went on Wi-Fi, but I still think Peach will rock! :lick: And yes I will main her.
Well she is more balanced, the problem is , there are much unbalanced characters than her, so she has no chance, most female characters there have no chance against many characters, including marth, ics and luigi.

I'm putting much more efforts in playing peach, while it could be easier with other character - the unbalanced one, like take ics , get to grab, and kill :) or just raise 70%.

Master of Fossils

Smash Apprentice
Grumblegrumblecometitiveplayersgrumblegrumble.

Seriously though. give it some time. you are not going to master brawl in one day! listen to yourself. on my first day of melee I could barely beat level 3 comps. As for the combos you need to think new strategies, and I hate to tell you you (actually I don't) but, this is brawl! Not melee!

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher

You CAN BE DISAPPOINTED with the game even if you don't suck, don't you get it ? :)
yes you and all 38 of your posts....

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
ha...your signature is so theatrical in the worst kind of way...like a toddler pissed at his parents after he finds out there's no santa claus...if you had written that on paper i bet we'd see tear stains

B N R

Smash Rookie
NNID
DeathPoetry
Well I get what it is you are talking about. Based on half of the responses, everyone seems to be closed minded on your view. The game is noticeably slower and the elite game-play strategies have been deleted but I would not go as far as saying the game is a major letdown.

I too am I competitive player; just like the players in the Youtube vids you posted, but I absolutely love Brawl. I find myself L-canceling every time I get close to the ground, but I just land on my feet as if the need for L-canceling was a fairy tale. That bothers me as well, but the game is not in any way inferior. I had "FUN" playing this game for 8 hours straight and I had even more fun whipping up on some people one on one.

Like it was mentioned earlier, let the game age. True elite players will find ways to make watching them play SSBB as enjoyable as watching them play SSBM. Just think... SSB was created as a "party" type game anyway. It's just that players like you and I have turned it into a passion and ultimately, a heavy competition. So what... we've stretched the boundaries with wave dashing and mastered L-canceling. Still no need to complain if its taken out of the sequel, I don't think.

You'll do just fine my man (if you decide to play the game again, that is...).

crystal107

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0791-1171-8682
ha...your signature is so theatrical in the worst kind of way...like a toddler pissed at his parents after he finds out there's no santa claus...if you had written that on paper i bet we'd see tear stains
LoL, signature bashing? :) come on, how old are you? 14?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
There are about 100 cool things that have already been discovered for Brawl, most of them character-specific. Oh, and Fox can still combo out of his reflector. It's called "jump shine" and it pretty much acts like a waveshine. Things like this are being discovered all the time, just like they were in Melee.

crystal107

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0791-1171-8682
Well I get what it is you are talking about. Based on half of the responses, everyone seems to be closed minded on your view. The game is noticeably slower and the elite game-play strategies have been deleted but I would not go as far as saying the game is a major letdown.

I too am I competitive player; just like the players in the Youtube vids you posted, but I absolutely love Brawl. I find myself L-canceling every time I get close to the ground, but I just land on my feet as if the need for L-canceling was a fairy tale. That bothers me as well, but the game is not in any way inferior. I had "FUN" playing this game for 8 hours straight and I had even more fun whipping up on some people one on one.

Like it was mentioned earlier, let the game age. True elite players will find ways to make watching them play SSBB as enjoyable as watching them play SSBM. Just think... SSB was created as a "party" type game anyway. It's just that players like you and I have turned it into a passion and ultimately, a heavy competition. So what... we've stretched the boundaries with wave dashing and mastered L-canceling. Still no need to complain if its taken out of the sequel, I don't think.

You'll do just fine my man (if you decide to play the game again, that is...).
The problem is, I didn't like SSB as much as I liked SSBM, SSBB seems much more like SSB than SSBM. SSB didn't get much of an attention from me, it was a bit boring and I left it alone.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
Hmm so someone has agreed with the OP, oh what's this it's also his first post =D

crystal107

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0791-1171-8682
Your posts don't exactly reek of maturity either, but hey, it's not my job to point out hypocrisy whenever it rears its head.

How come having negative opinion about a game is not mature? if you want to think the game is very competitive like melee, think that, but I don't think it's not mature to think it sucks compared to melee.

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
The problem is, I didn't like SSB as much as I liked SSBM, SSBB seems much more like SSB than SSBM. SSB didn't get much of an attention from me, it was a bit boring and I left it alone.
Fortunately, the boring thing about SSB was the very limited variation in the cast, repetitive stages and limited gameplay options. I presume it had nothing to do with speed or floatiness, so you'll love Brawl. Period.

B N R

Smash Rookie
NNID
DeathPoetry
Hmm so someone has agreed with the OP, oh what's this it's also his first post =D
LOL, not that I agree with him. I just understand where he's coming from. As soon as I landed foot on the game's platform, I noticed the changes. I just didn't think it was that big of a deal. I love the game in some ways more than SSBM and I think the competition will always be there. Even higher now in some aspects as they have streamlined the game play and brought it to a slower pace that requires more character skill and special moves, rather than (jump kick, wavedash, and edge block).

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
How come having negative opinion about a game is not mature? if you want to think the game is very competitive like melee, think that, but I don't think it's not mature to think it sucks compared to melee.
I wasn't talking about your opinion. It doesn't look good if you just excuse your multi-posting by saying you're not used to the forum.

As well as that, you ARE basing your opinion of the GAME on the point that your favorite character isn't the same as she was in Melee. And I mean seriously, Peach needed that Nerf. In the PAL version I swear...she was top tier and broken as anything.

crystal107

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0791-1171-8682
I wasn't talking about your opinion. It doesn't look good if you just excuse your multi-posting by saying you're not used to the forum.

As well as that, you ARE basing your opinion of the GAME on the point that your favorite character isn't the same as she was in Melee. And I mean seriously, Peach needed that Nerf. In the PAL version I swear...she was top tier and broken as anything.
I don't mind she isn't the same, I even liked some of the changes, I don't care she doesn't have dsmash, but compared to the rest of the cast, she sucks now, the rest of the cast is better, she has the worst UPB now, she returns SOOOO SLOOOOW that it is so punishable, when some characters have 4 jumps and upb of flying (ROB, Pit) and some character can even hit after their upb (mr game and watch). she is just, nothing good COMPARED to the other characters in brawl.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I don't mind she isn't the same, I even liked some of the changes, I don't care she doesn't have dsmash, but compared to the rest of the cast, she sucks now, the rest of the cast is better, she has the worst UPB now, she returns SOOOO SLOOOOW that it is so punishable, when some characters have 4 jumps and upb of flying (ROB, Pit). she is just, nothing good COMPARED to the other characters in brawl.
Well I haven't been following Peach much, but I've been told that her KO power has improved with her side and up smash, as well as her Peach Bomber becoming viable as an attacking move, and her dash attack being better for its multi-hit properties which will make it good against powershielding characters.

But hey, I promised myself I'd main a newcomer this time around. I won't be crying over my old main, (although he did get much better since Melee. XD)

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Edit: Perhaps that was harsh.

OP, if you are indeed not trolling, then you simply have to wait to give the game some time to grow on you. Smash Bros Brawl would not have a metacritic average of 96 if it was not better than every other game in its series. And if you are trolling, as I have assumed based on your username and registration date, then politely GO AWAY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom