• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Envision: Smash Bros. vs Capcom

Quillion

Smash Hero
I once read an article (which I can't find anymore... dammit) that argued that Smash vs. Capcom should happen since Capcom no longer has the license to produce Mahvel. So it argued that they should turn to Nintendo. Not even Wii U's low sales will stop a potential NvC from selling well.

Now though, Sakurai has given the company's second character treatment to Capcom, it could be a sign of something, not saying that it is or should be.

I wouldn't expect a roster double the size of Smash U's due to space limitations but I would expect the following at least:

Nintendo:
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Donkey Kong
  • Yoshi
  • Link
  • Zelda
  • Pikachu
  • Jigglypuff
  • Marth
  • ["Current" Fire Emblem Lord]
  • C. Falcon
  • Fox
  • Falco or Wolf
  • Villager
  • Ness
  • Pit
  • Mr. G&W
Capcom:
  • Ryu
  • Chun-li
  • Akuma
  • Mega Man
  • Zero
  • Morrigan
  • Felicia
  • Hsien-ko
  • Arthur
  • Dante
  • Vergil
  • Frank West
  • Amaterasu
  • Chris Redfield
  • Jill Valentine
  • Hiryu
Not a balanced roster, but that's my minimum expectations for either side, rather. I'd hope that Greninja is on the Nintendo side and Hiryu is on the Capcom side though; it'd be hilarious especially for Japan. Feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I'd also expect M Bison to be on the side of Capcom and Samus and Kirby to be on the side of Nintendo (mainly because they would probably have the original 12), but I would hope for Haggar and either Guy or Charlie (having both Haggar and Guy might be too many Final Fight reps since it's an old series, though) to be in for Capcom, and Isaac (GS) could be another Nintendo rep.

Also, what would the mechanics be like? Do you think it would be a traditional fighter, platform fighter, or a hybrid?

EDIT: Rephrased so it is more easily read.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'd also expect M Bison to be on the side of Capcom and Samus and Kirby to be on the side of Nintendo (mainly because they would probably have the original 12)...
DAMN IT! I can't believe I forgot them.

...but I would hope for Haggar and either Guy or Charlie (having both Haggar and Guy might be too many Final Fight reps since it's an old series, though) to be in for Capcom as well, and Isaac (GS) could be another Nintendo rep.

Also, what would the mechanics be like? Do you think it would be a traditional fighter, platform fighter, or a hybrid?
Well, if it has Smash in the name, it'll probably be Smash. If it's Nintendo vs. Capcom instead, it'll probably be traditional.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
A Smash-style team fighter might be interesting. 3 character teams were always my favorite part of MvC. It would be insane to see the combos people would come up with in a Smash game where you can swap between characters. The only issue with this is that the classic gamecube controls would need to be reworked.

Quillion

Smash Hero
A Smash-style team fighter might be interesting. 3 character teams were always my favorite part of MvC. It would be insane to see the combos people would come up with in a Smash game where you can swap between characters. The only issue with this is that the classic gamecube controls would need to be reworked.
Could that even work for Free 4 All? Teams of three mainly work because traditional fighters are limited to 1v1s.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers automatically deconfirmed ITT.

If a NvC was made, I really wouldn't want the roster to be just nothing but characters already in Smash Vs. a cut down MvC3 Capcom roster. If I wanted to play the rosters of those games, I'd just go play them. With Nintendo being tougher to pick for since most of their obvious picks in Smash, I think a 44 man roster that looked something like this would be pretty cool. At least, IMO:

Nintendo:
  • Mario
  • Bowser
  • Donkey Kong
  • Little Mac
  • Link
  • Ganondorf
  • Sheik
  • Either Samus or Zero Suit Samus.
  • Federation Marine w/ Blast Ball suit thing
  • Pit
  • Takamaru
  • Marth
  • FE Fates MC
  • Fox
  • Krystal
  • Dunban
  • Greninja
  • Mewtwo
  • Captain Falcon
  • Flint
  • Inkling
  • Kyle Hyde

Capcom:
  • Ryu
  • Chun-Li
  • El Fuerte
  • Mega Man
  • Mega Man.EXE
  • Zero
  • Leon Kennedy
  • Nemesis
  • Frank West
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • Gene
  • Arthur
  • Feylene or however you say it (If the MH team allows it. If they don't just pick your favorite Darkstalker!)
  • Dante
  • Asura
  • Captain Commando
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Strider Hiryu
  • Selene (Dragon's Dogma)
  • Morrigan
  • Vanessa (P.N03)
  • Guy
The Arcade Mode boss could be Hades from KI:U, it'd be rad to get a Capcom remix of his final fight music.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Ice Climbers automatically deconfirmed ITT.

If a NvC was made, I really wouldn't want the roster to be just nothing but characters already in Smash Vs. a cut down MvC3 Capcom roster. If I wanted to play the rosters of those games, I'd just go play them. With Nintendo being tougher to pick for since most of their obvious picks in Smash, I think a 44 man roster that looked something like this would be pretty cool. At least, IMO:

Nintendo:
  • Mario
  • Bowser
  • Donkey Kong
  • Little Mac
  • Link
  • Ganondorf
  • Sheik
  • Either Samus or Zero Suit Samus.
  • Federation Marine w/ Blast Ball suit thing
  • Pit
  • Takamaru
  • Marth
  • FE Fates MC
  • Fox
  • Krystal
  • Dunban
  • Greninja
  • Mewtwo
  • Captain Falcon
  • Flint
  • Inkling
  • Kyle Hyde

Capcom:
  • Ryu
  • Chun-Li
  • El Fuerte
  • Mega Man
  • Mega Man.EXE
  • Zero
  • Leon Kennedy
  • Nemesis
  • Frank West
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • Gene
  • Arthur
  • Feylene or however you say it (If the MH team allows it. If they don't just pick your favorite Darkstalker!)
  • Dante
  • Asura
  • Captain Commando
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Strider Hiryu
  • Selene (Dragon's Dogma)
  • Morrigan
  • Vanessa (P.N03)
  • Guy
The Arcade Mode boss could be Hades from KI:U, it'd be rad to get a Capcom remix of his final fight music.
Sheik and not Zelda? How does that make sense?

Twewy

Smash Lord
Because IMO Sheik would make more sense in a more traditional fighter, especially in a game like Vs. where the gameplay is fast and hectic. Just like Smash, where Sheik is popular in. I also thought a better magic user would be Selene from Dragon's Dogma, since DD's magic system would make for a better magic-centered moveset than Zelda's limited use of the OoT spells. That or Tessa from Red Earth.

Plus, Sheik is Zelda. Spoiler alert. :4morton:

I'm surprised you didn't point out my roster idea's lack of Pikachu, really.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Because IMO Sheik would make more sense in a more traditional fighter, especially in a game like Vs. where the gameplay is fast and hectic. Just like Smash, where Sheik is popular in. I also thought a better magic user would be Selene from Dragon's Dogma, since DD's magic system would make for a better magic-centered moveset than Zelda's limited use of the OoT spells. That or Tessa from Red Earth.

Plus, Sheik is Zelda. Spoiler alert. :4morton:

I'm surprised you didn't point out my roster idea's lack of Pikachu, really.
Then maybe a redesign is in order. From Hyrule Warriors and Pokken, I've learned that third-party studios don't necessarily have to conform with Sakurai's vision of the characters.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Perhaps, but my post had a roster I'd personally like to see. I'd rather have Sheik over Zelda, so I included the character instead of Zelda.

EDIT: I probably should've pointed this out in my last point, but asking why something would make sense in a VS. game roster is a bit silly. Capcom always picks some oddball choices instead of ones that the players would expect. You're lying if you expected Saki in TvC or Trish or MODOK in MvC3.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Perhaps, but my post had a roster I'd personally like to see. I'd rather have Sheik over Zelda, so I included the character instead of Zelda.
I thought it was obvious, but the problem is that Sheik is a one-shot incarnation of a particular Zelda, while Zelda is a series-wide character. If a Sheikah appears, it should be Impa, since Sheikah Impa has been established as a series standard now.

Then again, Capcom put in Zero and not the original Mega Man in MvC3, so who am I to talk?

Twewy

Smash Lord
Then again, Capcom put in Zero and not the original Mega Man in MvC3, so who am I to talk?
Nitsuma picked Zero because he thought he'd have a better moveset than Mega Man would. Which is my reasoning behind Sheik in my preferred roster.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Nitsuma picked Zero because he thought he'd have a better moveset than Mega Man would. Which is my reasoning behind Sheik in my preferred roster.
Yet did anyone support that decision? Go over to the Mega Man fandom and see for yourself.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I like Mega Man and would consider myself a "fan", and while I'm personally disappointed that he wasn't in MvC3, I see why he wasn't and understand why. Plus I can admit to having more fun with Zero in TvC and MvC3 than with Mega in MvC2, even if LIGHTNING LOOPS 4 DAYZ. And I don't think Capcom exactly cares (Who would've thought, huh?) who got in their game, as long as it made profit. Either way, this is your thread for what people would imagine/want a Nintendo Vs. Capcom to be like, and I posted my "wishlist" of sorts. I don't know where you're trying to go with this whole "Why do you want Sheik instead of Zelda wtf this is just like Mega Man in MvC3" thing, or why you're treating my idea of Sheik instead of Zelda the same as a company not representing their mascot in a crossover, but you can't really change what I personally want in it. You posted your list, and I posted mine. If oddball choices in crossovers aren't your thing, then maybe Vs. isn't your thing either.

On the topic of roster choices, I can't help but think that dude that got his name changed to Ken's from Street Fighter 2010 would be a cool addition to a game like this. A lot of choices poking fun at Capcom games on Nintendo systems would be interesting (says the guy who's Capcom roster was half non-Nintendo).

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Mario vs Ryu
Zelda vs Chun Li
DK vs Zangief
Samus vs Cammy
Kirby vs Viewtiful Joe
Meta Knight vs Strider
Bowser vs Bison
Fox vs Captain Commando
Marth vs Matsamune Date
Ike vs Soki
Link vs Zero
Ganondorf vs Akuma

I wanna see that.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Mario vs Ryu
Zelda vs Chun Li
DK vs Zangief
Samus vs Cammy
Kirby vs Viewtiful Joe
Meta Knight vs Strider
Bowser vs Bison
Fox vs Captain Commando
Marth vs Matsamune Date
Ike vs Soki
Link vs Zero
Ganondorf vs Akuma

I wanna see that.
I know that Capcom has a tendency to overuse Street Fighter characters in the Vs games, but do you really want that much of them?

Twewy

Smash Lord
It's almost like the series started out as X-Men Vs. Street Fighter or something. Jokes aside, it's what he wants, my man.

I also want to go back and say:
I'd be on top of this idea if we went back to the 2V2 teams of MVC1. Not a big fan of three mans.
This, even though I enjoy 3v3. Marvel is the super hectic Vs. games, the other Vs. games tend to be slower paced but still remain hectic. It just feels better for something like a Nintendo/Smash Bros crossover. The question is if we would be able to choose assists or have just one per character like TvC.

But speaking of Street Fighter, after seeing the new SFV dude I wouldn't mind replacing Fuerte on my list with him.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's almost like the series started out as X-Men Vs. Street Fighter or something. Jokes aside, it's what he wants, my man.

I also want to go back and say:

This, even though I enjoy 3v3. Marvel is the super hectic Vs. games, the other Vs. games tend to be slower paced but still remain hectic. It just feels better for something like a Nintendo/Smash Bros crossover. The question is if we would be able to choose assists or have just one per character like TvC.

But speaking of Street Fighter, after seeing the new SFV dude I wouldn't mind replacing Fuerte on my list with him.
Except Sakurai wouldn't like hectic. It would be too much of a barrier.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Regarding how many opponents should be in the tag-up, why not pull a Skullgirls and have the option of choosing 1-3 characters with health scaling according to how many characters you have, possibly at the expense of assist attacks & combo options, and team hyper combos? That way, everybody wins!

A Smash Bros. vs. Capcom is difficult to come up with a cohesive image for. Having both crossover franchises to the namesake, the system would have to find a way of blending in Smash's percent-based knockback gameplay with Vs. Capcom's traditional combo-oriented, tag team gameplay. I'm sure it could be done with an imaginative effort, as having one side veer too far against the other would be a disservice to the fans like Street Fighter x Tekken.

TBH, I don't want to see any crossovers featuring Nintendo that would have a roster size as large as Smash's or would just pick and choose from the confirmed roster. If I had a choice, it'd just be the Original 12 with the addition of Marth, Pit, and either Little Mac or Villager.

It would be really awkward including new Nintendo characters too, because there status would be confined to an unofficial series game and would just make roster pleading more annoying come the next official installment of Smash. That is, unless whoever was in charge instituted some sort of soft rule that anyone introduced in the Vs. game(s) gets a free pass to the next Smash.

EDIT: Almost forgot about my Capcom character preferences! Since any Nintendo crossover would be exclusive to Nintendo systems, Capcom should use this as an opportunity to let franchises either exclusive or having a heavy presence on Nintendo systems have priority. Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick, and Zach & Wiki are a must. It would be insulting if Okami(den) or Viewtiful Joe didn't show up. Monster Hunter and the Mega Man side series would all be great choices. Maybe even throw a curveball retro and include Trojan.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
Except Sakurai wouldn't like hectic. It would be too much of a barrier.
Who's to say it's Sakurai directing this daydream of a project? This is pretty much a wishlist thread of what we would want in a potential Nintendo/Smash Bros Vs. Capcom, you can't just automatically assume things are going to go a certain way when the game doesn't even exist.

EDIT: Almost forgot about my Capcom character preferences! Since any Nintendo crossover would be exclusive to Nintendo systems, Capcom should use this as an opportunity to let franchises either exclusive or having a heavy presence on Nintendo systems have priority. Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick, and Zach & Wiki are a must. It would be insulting if Okami(den) or Viewtiful Joe didn't show up. Monster Hunter and the Mega Man side series would all be great choices. Maybe even throw a curveball retro and include Trojan.
I like this idea too, I think focusing on Nintendo-specific IPs would be interesting, while also throwing in some other non-Nintendo frequenting IPs.

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
I think a capcom vs nintendo has more potential than a nintendo vs capcom, it would end up too close to smash.

And I would be fine with the capcom characters from UMvC3 honestly, though the lack of megaman was a bit of a shock for me.
From nintendo side, Mario pikachu DK and little mac are a must IMO

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
I propose that they create two different versions of the crossover like SFxT TxSF, yes tekken x street fighter is still in development.
Have a NvC Smash style and make a CvN Marvel style.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
It's a "warp pipe dream" of mine to have Dante from Devil May Cry and Strider Hiryu to be playable in a Smash Bros game.

A Nintendo X Capcom game would pluck $50 dollars from all of our wallets! X3

Quillion

Smash Hero
Here's something I've been wondering:

If Smash Bros vs. Capcom actually gets made, would Ryu still be the gimmick shotoclone while Mario is the standard? I wouldn't see that flying too well when both of them are the lead characters.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
2 words.

Troll Fist.
Fixed.

Does that mean Mario's fireball would be one of those broken assists if it goes traditional?
Lulz. Imagine Pac-Man's Bonus Fruit in his place.

I tried though something more in line with mixing both mechanics for an SRPG-game concept akin to Project x Zone. Might post that up in another thread.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Does that mean Mario's fireball would be one of those broken assists if it goes traditional?
If by "broken assist" you mean "Mario splits into two and is capable of filling the screen with projectiles with a simple input".... sure.

Quillion

Smash Hero
If by "broken assist" you mean "Mario splits into two and is capable of filling the screen with projectiles with a simple input".... sure.
As one of his supers, Mario uses Double Cherries to do that. :)

Top Bottom